The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2010, 07:40 AM   #1
dbfan21
Floridian living in KS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default Broncos must move on to find success

Pretty nice article by Michael Lombardi on nfl.com...

http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/stor...?module=HP_cp2

Stephen R. Covey, who is a well-renowned business management writer famous for his classic "Seven Habits of Highly Effective People", probably does not realize he is also an expert on dealing with training camp injuries.

How so?

Covey is not a medical doctor, but he can help the Broncos or any other team dealing with a sudden rash of injuries -- some perhaps even of the season-ending variety. Covey explained the concepts Circle of Concern and the Circle of Influence to assist anyone dealing with stressful situations. And losing key players can be extremely stressful to coaches and fans.

Granted, Covey was not thinking of injuries when he created the concept, but the practicality of his work applies.
The Circle of Concern relates to all the things that bother us in our daily life, yet we have little or no ability to control. For example, in football terms, the amount of time a player is going to miss because of injury or the fans reaction to personnel moves, or even the referee's calls during a game.
These are things that cannot be controlled, therefore it makes no sense to spend any time dealing with them.
The Circle of Influence are all the things that we can control, such as how we work, how we react to situations and how we prepare for the task at hand.

A team's destiny lies in spending time working on the areas they can influence. When the injury bug hits, the best course of action is to just move on and keep fighting. Not just in words, but also in action.
Recent news has not been kind to the Broncos as they lost the NFL's sack leader Elvis Dumervil for four months, but what can they do? They cannot control how long it will take for his pectoral muscle to heal, and they still have to be ready to play at Jacksonville in Week 1 without him. The Broncos' season moves on with or without Dumervil.
The Broncos are obviously a better team with Dumervil -- hence the reason they gave him a five-year, $58.332 million deal in the offseason -- but coach Josh McDaniels has a responsibility to the other players on the team.

If the staff reacts or dwells on the Dumervil injury, McDaniels will shrink his circle of influence. However, if he ignores the injury, just moves along, takes the "next man up" mentality, then he will expand his circle of influence.
Now you know why Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick or any great coach never acknowledge injuries and just keep moving forward. They are not being rude to the media or fans, they just understand that they cannot control injuries, so they spend all their time focusing on the area they can influence -- which is the players they have available to coach.
With star tackle Ryan Clady missing camp because of an offseason injury, there is a notion that the Broncos season is already over, and they will not be able recover. But the 2010 season is very young and this is when teams bond.
Winning in the league requires being a team, so the Broncos must use this time to find other ways to make up for the loss of Dumervil. No one player is going to replace his 17 sacks or all his hurries.

They need to find three guys on the current roster to raise their level of play.

Former first-round picks Robert Ayers and Jarvis Moss combined for no sacks last season, so it won't be hard for them to improve. If both can get six sacks each, which is not too much to ask, then the Broncos would need to find just five more somewhere else. Skeptics might think I am crazy -- at times I think I am -- for thinking these players can contribute, but did anyone at this time last year think Cowboys wide receiver Miles Austin could become a Pro Bowler?

That is the beauty of the NFL. Players are just waiting for their chance to become stars. All that is needed is a chance to perform and a coach who will focus on his own circle of influence.

MORE BRONCOS…INCLUDING TIM TEBOW:

click link to read the rest...

Last edited by dbfan21; 08-09-2010 at 07:42 AM..
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2010, 08:09 AM   #2
_Oro_
Formerly known as Casson

Don't run that sh*t this way.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
- R. Ayers

Quote:
Former first-round picks Robert Ayers and Jarvis Moss combined for no sacks last season, so it won't be hard for them to improve.
Actually Jarvis is the perfect example of why this logic sucks. He's gotten almost no sacks year after year. I would say at this point its more likely that he will continue to suck than to get better.

Ayers on the other hand, going into only his second year is much more likely to improve as we haven't already seen him suck for many years on end.
_Oro_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:10 AM   #3
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Oro_ View Post
Actually Jarvis is the perfect example of why this logic sucks. He's gotten almost no sacks year after year. I would say at this point its more likely that he will continue to suck than to get better.

Ayers on the other hand, going into only his second year is much more likely to improve as we haven't already seen him suck for many years on end.
agree with the Jarvis example, but the point was that you move ahead with what you have...be it Jarvis or whoever

Jarvis just may be the worst case example
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:14 AM   #4
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:

The odds are against Moss, but to be fair he has lost the better part of a season with a broken leg and spent his first couple years working with a rotating door at DC in a 4-3 front.

He's now staying in a very similar scheme with the same positional coach in the 3-4 and has finally actually been healthy (until just recently) and put on some weight. He's apparently finally done all the things we've been waiting to see him do away from the football field, so there's no need to discount him completely until we see what he can actually do on the field.

That said, yes, Ayers is our #1 option to step it up and generate some pass rush.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:15 AM   #5
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Is it "terrible article week"?
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:16 AM   #6
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
well, Shark Week is over...so we needed SOMETHING
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:18 AM   #7
Lev Vyvanse
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfan21 View Post
Pretty nice article by Michael Lombardi on nfl.com...

http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/stor...?module=HP_cp2

Stephen R. Covey, who is a well-renowned business management writer famous for his classic "Seven Habits of Highly Effective People", probably does not realize he is also an expert on dealing with training camp injuries.

How so?

Covey is not a medical doctor, but he can help the Broncos or any other team dealing with a sudden rash of injuries -- some perhaps even of the season-ending variety. Covey explained the concepts Circle of Concern and the Circle of Influence to assist anyone dealing with stressful situations. And losing key players can be extremely stressful to coaches and fans.

Granted, Covey was not thinking of injuries when he created the concept, but the practicality of his work applies.
The Circle of Concern relates to all the things that bother us in our daily life, yet we have little or no ability to control. For example, in football terms, the amount of time a player is going to miss because of injury or the fans reaction to personnel moves, or even the referee's calls during a game.
These are things that cannot be controlled, therefore it makes no sense to spend any time dealing with them.
The Circle of Influence are all the things that we can control, such as how we work, how we react to situations and how we prepare for the task at hand.

A team's destiny lies in spending time working on the areas they can influence. When the injury bug hits, the best course of action is to just move on and keep fighting. Not just in words, but also in action.
Recent news has not been kind to the Broncos as they lost the NFL's sack leader Elvis Dumervil for four months, but what can they do? They cannot control how long it will take for his pectoral muscle to heal, and they still have to be ready to play at Jacksonville in Week 1 without him. The Broncos' season moves on with or without Dumervil.
The Broncos are obviously a better team with Dumervil -- hence the reason they gave him a five-year, $58.332 million deal in the offseason -- but coach Josh McDaniels has a responsibility to the other players on the team.

If the staff reacts or dwells on the Dumervil injury, McDaniels will shrink his circle of influence. However, if he ignores the injury, just moves along, takes the "next man up" mentality, then he will expand his circle of influence.
Now you know why Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick or any great coach never acknowledge injuries and just keep moving forward. They are not being rude to the media or fans, they just understand that they cannot control injuries, so they spend all their time focusing on the area they can influence -- which is the players they have available to coach.
With star tackle Ryan Clady missing camp because of an offseason injury, there is a notion that the Broncos season is already over, and they will not be able recover. But the 2010 season is very young and this is when teams bond.
Winning in the league requires being a team, so the Broncos must use this time to find other ways to make up for the loss of Dumervil. No one player is going to replace his 17 sacks or all his hurries.

They need to find three guys on the current roster to raise their level of play.

Former first-round picks Robert Ayers and Jarvis Moss combined for no sacks last season, so it won't be hard for them to improve. If both can get six sacks each, which is not too much to ask, then the Broncos would need to find just five more somewhere else. Skeptics might think I am crazy -- at times I think I am -- for thinking these players can contribute, but did anyone at this time last year think Cowboys wide receiver Miles Austin could become a Pro Bowler?

That is the beauty of the NFL. Players are just waiting for their chance to become stars. All that is needed is a chance to perform and a coach who will focus on his own circle of influence.

MORE BRONCOS…INCLUDING TIM TEBOW:

click link to read the rest...
I disagree with the whole premise. I think we should play with 10 men on defense in honor of our fallen comrade.
I can't believe people get paid to write **** like this.
Lev Vyvanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:20 AM   #8
FISH
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

"Third-round wide receiver Eric Decker looked like former Bronco Ed McCaffrey in his movement and number 87 jersey. He too will have to stay healthy, but looked very good running routes"

....sorry Khan...Lombardi didn't get the memo
FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:25 AM   #9
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
I thought it was a good article....basically they need to say "Doom is not here, what can we do" instead of "well if Doom was healthy.."
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:29 AM   #10
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
I thought it was a good article....basically they need to say "Doom is not here, what can we do" instead of "well if Doom was healthy.."
Can't wait for the next update from "Wellno****.com"
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:30 AM   #11
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

is lombardi playing the role of Captain Obvious?...yes...

but it's still a good little brief read...

i like the message...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:42 AM   #12
Ambiguous
Ask me about my title

Go fsck yourself San Diego.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Rep!
Ambiguous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:45 AM   #13
TotallyScrewed
Ring of Famer

Best line in the whole article and it's appropriate...

but did anyone at this time last year think Cowboys wide receiver Miles Austin could become a Pro Bowler?

The Broncos need multiple players to step it up. In fact, if everyone stepped it up, thinking about TEAM, they really could be one! The best part is: It's up to them.
TotallyScrewed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:49 AM   #14
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

I still think the Broncos defense will be a top 10 defense without Dumervil. This defense won't produce as many sacks but I think it will stop the run and force teams to throw more. If that is the case (and I think it will be) then this Broncos defense will have great opportunities for INTs. Also, any kind of pressure up the middle on a QB will force that QB to make bad decisions.

So in essence I'm saying sacks will go down, but turnovers will go up.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:53 AM   #15
_Oro_
Formerly known as Casson

Don't run that sh*t this way.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
- R. Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I still think the Broncos defense will be a top 10 defense without Dumervil. This defense won't produce as many sacks but I think it will stop the run and force teams to throw more. If that is the case (and I think it will be) then this Broncos defense will have great opportunities for INTs. Also, any kind of pressure up the middle on a QB will force that QB to make bad decisions.

Sacking the QB a lot leads to tons of turnovers.
_Oro_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:08 AM   #16
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I really can't stand Stephen R. Covey.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:09 AM   #17
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
stop plugging your own sites.....troll!
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:14 AM   #18
Captain 'Dre
Along For The Ride

For THIS I Went To Grad School?!?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lev Vyvanse View Post
I disagree with the whole premise. I think we should play with 10 men on defense in honor of our fallen comrade.
I can't believe people get paid to write **** like this.
And I would have disagreed with the entire premise, had I gotten through it without falling asleep!

Moss, IMO, is a lost cause, and if there's any production from him, we should just consider it an unexpected bonus.

Players rarely massively disappoint for a few years, only to turn it around and become key players.

I'm sure someone in here will cite an exception to the rule, but there are vastly more players who FIT the rule than players who's careers DON'T fit the rule.
Captain 'Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:22 AM   #19
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Sacking the QB can lead to possible turnovers, yes. However, INTs are turnovers.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:45 AM   #20
Lev Vyvanse
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Sacking the QB can lead to possible turnovers, yes. However, INTs are turnovers.
But you are talking about possible INTs.
Lev Vyvanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:48 AM   #21
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lev Vyvanse View Post
But you are talking about possible INTs.
I'm talking about shutting down the run and forcing the opposing offenses to throw more. With the Broncos defensive line and the secondary, I think there is a good possibility of more INTs. I'm also hoping that there's more pressure up the middle but that is a complete "hope" on my part. I think the averages will work out IF the Broncos can shut the opposing teams run game down.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:54 AM   #22
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I think our 05 defense proved it could be done without sacks. That team couldn't get pressure on the QB to save their own lives but they got a hell of a lot of turnovers.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:56 AM   #23
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

The key is to minimize the late season slide when everyone knows what everybody else runs. The D was great through the first half of the season, but then OC's found ways to pound it into submission after that. It will take a sustained level of commitment to stopping the run first--this must be the identity of this defense--or it'll be another year of radical peaks and valleys.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:59 AM   #24
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

The NFL pays this guy to write??
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #25
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:

After the past decade or so I'm not predicting anything with this team. We have no idea about Wink as a DC. We could be alot better of stopping the run in 2010 but, get shredded by the pass so does it matter. Our D will get tested early this year. If we can stay fairly healthy on D from now on we might have a solid unit this year. I'd rather see our D play solid ALL year.

Last edited by NFLBRONCO; 08-09-2010 at 10:36 AM..
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote