The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2010, 12:16 AM   #1
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21’s No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15
Default Xanders feels Broncos' pain

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...mpaign=twitter

There is an inspirational path for all those battered and bruised bodies at Dove Valley.

It travels from the hot tub in the trainer's room to a top executive's office upstairs.

Brian Xanders isn't just the Broncos' general manager. He's a front-office Willis Reed, an example to all those injured players — which is growing into a who's who list of Broncos — on how to play hurt.

On July 13, Xanders underwent a triple-fusion surgery on his neck. Two degenerative discs were removed, bone marrow was extracted from his pelvic bone and then sprayed on two plastic discs, which were inserted back into the spine. Then came the hardware: a 4-inch steel plate, secured with eight screws, attached to the spine so it could keep four consecutive vertebrae in their proper slots.

"I felt great right after," Xanders said.

A week later, Xanders was back in his office, a zipper- scar souvenir on the front of his neck. Within 11 days after his return, Xanders had finalized a five-year, $58.3 million extension for veteran pass rusher Elvis Dumervil and negotiated multiyear contracts with five rookies — Demaryius Thomas, Tim Tebow, Zane Beadles, Eric Decker and Eric Olsen — for another $32 million combined.

Let's see Dumervil and Ryan Clady match that kind of production upon their return from surgery.

"The way Brian worked and what he did shortly after he had a major surgery like that, I mean, I know we're not out there in helmets and pads, but that showed a lot of toughness in its own right," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said.

Besides toughness, Xanders showed some front-office ingenuity in getting $89 million worth of contract extensions negotiated with Dumervil and starting guard Chris Kuper.

Entering those negotiations, Xanders was handicapped — and we don't mean his neck. The Broncos had been the NFL's most aggressive team in free agency the past two years (Brian Dawkins, Andre Goodman, Renaldo Hill, Jabar Gaffney, Correll Buckhalter, Jamal Williams, Justin Bannan), leaving no more cash in the 2010 drawer.

"It's not how much money you spend, it's how you spend it," Broncos chief operating officer Joe Ellis said. "There are plenty of examples of organizations that follow this principle and have great success. I give Brian and Josh great credit for being as active as any team in free agency the last two years, while at the same time being both smart and prudent as they look toward the future."

Complicating the negotiations with Dumervil and Kuper was the work stoppage that seems closer to at least delaying the "offseason" segment of the 2011 season.

Yet, Xanders was able to get Kuper ($28.021 million extension) and Dumervil secured through 2015 without delivering $1 more in upfront money.

"It was a way to say to the player, 'We would love to get an extension for you, but we've just got to get through 2010,' " Xanders said. " 'Your deal is in place. You'll have injury guarantees in future years. And then once the league year starts in 2011 — hopefully it's early March — then we exercise our skill guarantees.' Like most teams, we were working under budget constraints while trying to improve our roster. It's always a challenge."

It helped that Dumervil and Kuper weren't greedy. Most players don't accept such contract extensions without getting some money the minute they sign. But a deal with no upfront money in
return for a guarantee against injury was a compromise both players were willing to accept.

"I think it's the times that we're in, the looming lockout," Kuper said. "There's the Broncos' side too. They didn't have to do anything for us at all."

Accepting the no-money- down, pay-me-later compromise was the smartest decision Dumervil ever made, given the torn pectoral muscle he suffered last week. Dumervil will have surgery that will sideline him until at least mid-November.

Kuper was reminded of the wisdom of taking a deal with an injury guarantee Friday, when he suffered an ankle injury.

As for questioning the wisdom of the Broncos' enormous financial investment in the now-injured Dumervil and Kuper, remember those backloaded deals mean the team is paying them a relatively inexpensive $5.68 million combined this year.

"Both those players were the type of players we want as Broncos," Xanders said. "They're tough and competitive. Great teammates. It was clear they both wanted to be Denver Broncos for a long time."

It hurts that Dumervil received such a devastating injury before his new contract paid out its first dollar. But the Broncos, like every other NFL team, have insurance policies that financially protect them when there are injuries to high-priced players.

In so many ways, Xanders has exemplified that injuries can be overcome.

"He was here at 11 o'clock last night, and I could tell he was in pain," McDaniels said. "But he's not saying it. We all have things that can set us back, and he didn't let that surgery do that for him."
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2010, 06:41 AM   #2
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

This is possibly the worst article I have ever read. I really, really hope that the Broncos aren't holding Xanders up as an example on how to overcome injuries while speaking to the players.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:49 AM   #3
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm View Post
This is possibly the worst article I have ever read. I really, really hope that the Broncos aren't holding Xanders up as an example on how to overcome injuries while speaking to the players.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:57 AM   #4
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Sorry to rain on your inspirational article of the day.

Come on Doom! Get back in there like our GM did!
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:59 AM   #5
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm View Post
Sorry to rain on your inspirational article of the day.

Come on Doom! Get back in there like our GM did!
I'm sorry you can't take a joke.

Really? The worst article you've ever read? And you don't think that's even slightly hyperbolic?

It wasn't even on Bleacher Report! Or written by Josina!
Old 08-09-2010, 07:00 AM   #6
outdoor_miner
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarsh615 View Post
[url]It hurts that Dumervil received such a devastating injury before his new contract paid out its first dollar. But the Broncos, like every other NFL team, have insurance policies that financially protect them when there are injuries to high-priced players.
I had no idea that teams could do this... Interesting.
outdoor_miner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:11 AM   #7
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarsh615 View Post
It hurts that Dumervil received such a devastating injury before his new contract paid out its first dollar. But the Broncos, like every other NFL team, have insurance policies that financially protect them when there are injuries to high-priced players.
"
It's good, but it also gets rid of the one part of the bargain that was pretty sweet for the Broncos - lots of production for not a insane cost.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:52 AM   #8
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Xanders rules SoCal!
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:55 PM   #9
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

I heard Xanders suffered those injuries from falling down the stairs while getting pizza for McDaniels and Joe Ellis. Also had to go pick up a bottle of Jack for Pat.

Tough Gig.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:19 PM   #10
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

The Chiefs Suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
I heard Xanders suffered those injuries from falling down the stairs while getting pizza for McDaniels and Joe Ellis. Also had to go pick up a bottle of Jack for Pat.

Tough Gig.
No, he was masturbating the Unicorn. Socal an I know the deal. Unicorn jiz heals wounds and they're fresh out.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:13 PM   #11
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

As long as the Greek didnt do the surgery or Rick T doesnt do the recovery workout process, Zanders should be A OK. Signed, Lostknight and Mighty Smurf
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:48 PM   #12
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
Xanders rules SoCal!
I knew this post was coming the moment I read the article last night.

Seriously....an inspirational Xanders piece? How is this even possible? They couldn't recycle the old Tuten sled article, instead?

Stacy Coley.....Speed Kills!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:55 PM   #13
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
No, he was masturbating the Unicorn. Socal an I know the deal. Unicorn jiz heals wounds and they're fresh out.
Ahh...Xanders being forced to jack the unicorn off. A timeless classic. BTW...I was proven right on that. They DID force him to do the deed. How do you think Moreno went from being out for the season to being back in three weeks?

Stacy Coley.....Speed Kills!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:13 PM   #14
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Seriously....an inspirational Xanders piece? How is this even possible?
>
Old 08-09-2010, 06:14 PM   #15
uplink
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
I knew this post was coming the moment I read the article last night.

Seriously....an inspirational Xanders piece? How is this even possible? They couldn't recycle the old Tuten sled article, instead?
speaking of the old inspirational articles, when Shanny took over he had a bet with Bowlen: something like Shanny had to run a 4 min mile and Bowlen had to bench press a certain amount of weight so many times. Never heard what happend in the end, anyone know?
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:16 PM   #16
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Makes sense...Xanders was jerking off the unicorn because McD and Ellis wanted a side of Unicorn jizz for their pizza.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:35 PM   #17
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

I think I saw Stewart hitching a cab with Louis Anderson on Cash Cab to Circus Circus.

Naw, that was Carrot Top.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:57 PM   #18
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I still can't decide who I dislike more. Xanders or Ellis?
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:05 PM   #19
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplink View Post
speaking of the old inspirational articles, when Shanny took over he had a bet with Bowlen: something like Shanny had to run a 4 min mile and Bowlen had to bench press a certain amount of weight so many times. Never heard what happend in the end, anyone know?
If I recall correctly, Shanny bet that Bowlen couldn't bench 100lbs. Shanny was summarily fired. Guess who won the bet.
Dr. Broncenstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:17 PM   #20
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

This is classic:

Quote:
Besides toughness, Xanders showed some front-office ingenuity in getting $89 million worth of contract extensions negotiated with Dumervil and starting guard Chris Kuper.
Other than giving the top paid of all time to a situational pass rusher weak against the run and Kuper an extension (only 2 of the 06 draft class remaining). IMO, He's one of the weaker GM's in the NFL, something Bowlen swore against when he fired Shanny.

Adnidt it, Denver has used 2/3's of it's bounty of trades for offensive questionmarks, and alot on FA Defense.

It's sad to see many players dropping like flies, but that's what you get for drafting poorly/reaches like Quinn and Smith and Decker.

It's shame that McDaniels will be remembered for injurys and the 4 monkey carnival, injuries and the humiliation of Tebow into a monk.

Denver had 3 high choices after trading down. The assumption that Baltimore was going to take him is as absurd as when we took Moreno.

With an incredibly easy schedule with Warner and Bouldin gone, I still say 9-7 should be so easy, even a caveman can do it,
Old 08-09-2010, 07:21 PM   #21
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
If I recall correctly, Shanny bet that Bowlen couldn't bench 100lbs. Shanny was summarily fired. Guess who won the bet.
What a lie.

So coaches are fired on drinking bets?

Youir a liar or a bad comedian, or Bowlen is a bad loser.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:24 PM   #22
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I still can't decide who I dislike more. Xanders or Ellis?
Why do you dislike them?
Old 08-09-2010, 07:27 PM   #23
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
This is classic:

With an incredibly easy schedule with Warner and Bouldin gone, I still say 9-7 should be so easy, even a caveman can do it,
Is that what they call a peanut butter answer? Where did the cardinals enter this conversation?
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:30 PM   #24
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
What a lie.

So coaches are fired on drinking bets?

Youir a liar or a bad comedian, or Bowlen is a bad loser.
Holy shiat, Mock. Put your oxygen back on and take a few breaths.
Dr. Broncenstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #25
Lev Vyvanse
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
Why do you dislike them?
Spineless bastard?

Last edited by Lev Vyvanse; 08-09-2010 at 07:53 PM..
Lev Vyvanse is offline   Reply With Quote