The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2010, 07:19 AM   #1
titan
Ring of Famer

Fan of Old School Football

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default McD interview

Josh McDaniels was interviewed on Vic and Gary's radio show this morning. I was riding my bike at the time so no transcript but here's what I remember McD saying:

Orton has had a very good camp; he knows the offense much better this year. McD told Orton "you have the chance to meet all of your career goals here", hinting Orton still has a place in the Broncos long term plans.

Brady Quinn has improved every practice. Some say Quinn should know the offense since he played under Charlie Weiss at Notre Dame, but the Bronco offense is different than that.

Tebow "will play alot" in the first preseason game in Cincinnati. Tebow has a great attitude (no surprise) and gives the team the capability to do some different things.

McD said he will not have 3 qbs active in a game. He didn't say it directly but hinted that Tebow has to show he can run the offense from a traditional set to be #2 this year. The qbs will be watched closely this preseason.

McD hasn't met Floyd Little but plans to talk with Floyd this week. The team will wear #44 on their helmets at the Invesco practice Saturday night to honor Floyd.

The team hopes to handle the "peaks and valleys' of the nfl season better this year. McD said last year's with late season's collapse they had to spend practice time to fix some basic things with the team, rather than concentrating on the opponent. This year he wants to make sure all the basics are in place going into the regular season.
titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2010, 07:27 AM   #2
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Nice job, Titan! Thanks for this!
Old 08-04-2010, 07:28 AM   #3
dbfan21
Floridian living in KS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

As always, great job!! Thanks for posting. It's interesting to hear McD talk about Orton with hints of long-term ideas. I am glad to hear they are working on the basics. IMHO, it's a team's ability to master the fundamentals that separates them from the rest of the league. One thing that Shanny didn't focus on was the wrap-up tackle. I can't tell you how many times I saw defenders going for the SportsCenter hit and then letting his man continue for an additional 5-6 yards afterwards. Fundamental blocking, tackling, shedding, stripping, catching, ball carrying...that's the stuff that prevents turnovers on Offense and causes them on Defense.

If our team gets those things down, the sky is the limit.
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:32 AM   #4
dbfan21
Floridian living in KS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I saw this on DP.com and didn;t want to create a whole new thread just for this...but it's great news nonetheless...

The Orange is back.

Unlike his predecessor, Mike Shanahan, McDaniels likes the alternative orange jersey so much, he's going to have his players start in them.

The Broncos will break out their alternative orange home jerseys for their first home preseason game Aug. 21 against Tony Scheffler and the Lions at Invesco Field at Mile High. The home orange also will be worn twice during the regular season — Oct. 17 against the New York Jets and Dec. 5 against the Kansas City Chiefs.

Shanahan didn't care for the jerseys, mostly because the team lost in a key 2004 home game to the hated Raiders in a snowstorm.

Woo hoo!!
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:41 AM   #5
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan View Post

Orton has had a very good camp; he knows the offense much better this year. McD told Orton "you have the chance to meet all of your career goals here", hinting Orton still has a place in the Broncos long term plans.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:46 AM   #6
Borks147
the dude abides...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfan21 View Post
I saw this on DP.com and didn;t want to create a whole new thread just for this...but it's great news nonetheless...

The Orange is back.

Unlike his predecessor, Mike Shanahan, McDaniels likes the alternative orange jersey so much, he's going to have his players start in them.

The Broncos will break out their alternative orange home jerseys for their first home preseason game Aug. 21 against Tony Scheffler and the Lions at Invesco Field at Mile High. The home orange also will be worn twice during the regular season — Oct. 17 against the New York Jets and Dec. 5 against the Kansas City Chiefs.

Shanahan didn't care for the jerseys, mostly because the team lost in a key 2004 home game to the hated Raiders in a snowstorm.

Woo hoo!!
this makes me so happy
Borks147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:52 AM   #7
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Do't see many player expected to break out
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:02 AM   #8
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

I'll tell you what. I'll be cheering louder for Orton than Tebow tonight at practice.
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:29 AM   #9
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Josh McDaniels was interviewed on Vic and Gary's radio show this morning. I was riding my bike at the time so no transcript but here's what I remember McD saying:

Brady Quinn has improved every practice. Some say Quinn should know the offense since he played under Charlie Weiss at Notre Dame, but the Bronco offense is different than that.

Tebow "will play alot" in the first preseason game in Cincinnati. Tebow has a great attitude (no surprise) and gives the team the capability to do some different things.

McD said he will not have 3 qbs active in a game. He didn't say it directly but hinted that Tebow has to show he can run the offense from a traditional set to be #2 this year. The qbs will be watched closely this preseason.

McD hasn't met Floyd Little but plans to talk with Floyd this week. The team will wear #44 on their helmets at the Invesco practice Saturday night to honor Floyd.

The team hopes to handle the "peaks and valleys' of the nfl season better this year. McD said last year's with late season's collapse they had to spend practice time to fix some basic things with the team, rather than concentrating on the opponent. This year he wants to make sure all the basics are in place going into the regular season.
Man, you just crushed some peeps' hopes. To crush them further, I could tell by McD's voice intonation he loves what Orton is bringing to the team.

J/K a little bit. I'm saying it's obvious McD is very comfortable with Orton running the O, and I bet the vets are very comfortable with Orton running the O also. So people that want to bag on Orton and call for anybody but Orton should just relax and let the season play out.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:33 AM   #10
Jay3

I would love to keep Orton as the backup in Denver, long term. It's all going to be up to the market, and whether Orton is willing to do it.

If another team comes after Orton and wants to pay him starter money, Denver won't have the luxury of playing wait and see. They'll have to fish or cut bait. But if the market is soft, maybe Orton will hang around for about what he is making now. The team could want him as the insurance policy during the arc of Tebow's development.

Leinart was thought to be NFL ready, and they've had a succession of "back up plans" be their starter in Arizona. (Heck, some people think Derek Anderson will end up starting this year).
Old 08-04-2010, 08:34 AM   #11
Jay3

I happen to think Orton is too limited in all the things a guy can't control. He's like a Tebow in attitude, but wasn't given as much on all the measurables.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:36 AM   #12
_Oro_
Formerly known as Casson

Don't run that sh*t this way.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
- R. Ayers

"Tony Scheffler and the Lions"
_Oro_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:43 AM   #13
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer

"I'm gonna burn this mother down"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody

great thread. Thanks man
supermanhr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:45 AM   #14
Fusionfrontman
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Oro_ View Post
"Tony Scheffler and the Lions"
I caught that too. Chuckled a bit at that one.

I love that they are wearing the orange more. I did notice that all pictures and footage from training camp are in orange and was wondering when the last time that happened. Either way, I LOVE the alt orange and hope they wear them more than twice NEXT year.
Fusionfrontman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:50 AM   #15
Jay3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusionfrontman View Post
I caught that too. Chuckled a bit at that one.

I love that they are wearing the orange more. I did notice that all pictures and footage from training camp are in orange and was wondering when the last time that happened. Either way, I LOVE the alt orange and hope they wear them more than twice NEXT year.
It's just the quarterbacks in orange, which is the "non-contact" jersey. The offense and defense are in white and blue.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:52 AM   #16
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Quote:
McD told Orton "you have the chance to meet all of your career goals here"
Its good to have goals.

worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:57 AM   #17
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
I happen to think Orton is too limited in all the things a guy can't control. He's like a Tebow in attitude, but wasn't given as much on all the measurables.
I'm saying Orton gives the Broncs the best chance to win this year, I'm saying the coaching staff believes that, the vets believe that, and fans should support him.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:59 AM   #18
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
I'm saying Orton gives the Broncs the best chance to win this year, I'm saying the coaching staff believes that, the vets believe that, and fans should support him.
completely agree

I can't wait for him to have a better season than the last, just to hear the reasons then for him not having enough talent.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:55 AM   #19
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

the orange jerseys are boss
and good to hear they will be wearing them against the Jets
Thats the game I am going to this year so that will be nice to see
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:06 AM   #20
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:18 AM   #21
Fusionfrontman
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
It's just the quarterbacks in orange, which is the "non-contact" jersey. The offense and defense are in white and blue.
Ah.... right on. Brain lapse.
Fusionfrontman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:44 AM   #22
Jay3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Yeah, but you're saying in a thread about a radio interview McD gave this morning, in which he said he told Orton "you have the chance to meet all of your career goals here." So the conversation naturally drifts into talk of the long term, not just "this year." And it takes me back to the topic of what's in that head of McD, who will be the ultimate decider.

I would like to see Orton stay put right here, and become the "Kubiak" figure that's around for years as a beloved back up.

I do not much care for the scenario where he's the long term starter. Tebow-love aside, I think he ultimately doesn't get it done. I'm coming off a long, slow ride with Jake Delhomme starting for the Panthers (my nearest team geographically), and we got to see that ultimately the league catches up with a quarterback who's tools are limited.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:55 AM   #23
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Ladies and Gentlemen: that sound you just heard was jhns' head exploding.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:56 AM   #24
BMF Bronco
Offseason sucks...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ME

Quote:

I do not much care for the scenario where he's the long term starter. Tebow-love aside, I think he ultimately doesn't get it done. I'm coming off a long, slow ride with Jake Delhomme starting for the Panthers (my nearest team geographically), and we got to see that ultimately the league catches up with a quarterback who's tools are limited.
Which QB's tools are limited? Tebow's? Speed, power, quickness, knows how to win, strong arm... where do the limits come in?
BMF Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:04 AM   #25
Jay3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMF Bronco View Post
Which QB's tools are limited? Tebow's? Speed, power, quickness, knows how to win, strong arm... where do the limits come in?
Orton's tools. I think I'm saying the opposite of what you think I'm saying, but that would depend on what I think you think I'm saying.