The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Default Moss Out To Prove He's No First-Round Flop

Moss Out To Prove He's No First-Round Flop

Arnie Stapleton, AP Sports Writer

While Tebowmaniacs line the Denver Broncos' practice fields hoping to catch a glimpse of quarterback Tim Tebow's transformation, they're missing the metamorphosis of another former Florida Gator right before their eyes.

A year ago, pass-rusher Jarvis Moss walked out of training camp so bedeviled by personal problems that he wondered whether he should walk away from football altogether.

He returned three days later but had another forgettable season, recording no sacks, no tackles and one pass break-up while playing in just seven games.

Moss said he needed the respite last summer to clear his head and help him rediscover his passion.

"There was a lot of stuff on my plate last year. A lot of stuff that wasn't just football. A lot of stuff built up on me," he said. "I had to sit down, take a deep look at myself and realize this is what I am -- I'm a football player. This is what I love to do. ... It's serious now."

Now, Moss looks nothing like that undersized, overwhelmed player who nearly walked away from football forever. He's added muscle and appears both stronger and more focused at practice. So winded was he after one workout this week that he did interviews with his hands on his knees, sweat streaming off his face.

"No, I don't need to vomit," he said, straightening up.

His teammates and his coaches are raving about this new Jarvis Moss.

"He's looking good," NFL sacks king Elvis Dumervil said Tuesday. "He's working. He's making fewer mistakes and his energy level is high. He seems more focused."

Moss said he's finally figured things out in his fourth season and worked relentlessly over the spring and summer to put it all on display.

"I just put in the time. It's important to me now," Moss said. "I thought I'd take the time in the offseason and get right. I picture myself doing big things."

So does safety Brian Dawkins.

"You can see it in his mindset," Dawkins said. "Obviously, I haven't been with Jarvis in other years, what everybody's talking about. All I see is Jarvis today. What I see of Jarvis today is a guy who is dialed in, dedicated. He's pushing himself and asking questions left and right in the meeting room to make sure he's where he needs to be."

Dawkins' first impression of Moss a year ago was watching him take a three-day furlough to mull retirement, which could have resulted in him having to return $3.6 million of his signing bonus to the Broncos.

After missing five practices, Moss returned to camp only to find himself even further down the depth chart at outside linebacker in the team's new 3-4 scheme with the arrival of first-round draft pick Robert Ayers.

Moss has just 3 1/2 sacks in his career and has struggled to fit into the NFL ever since former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan moved up to select him with the 17th overall pick in the 2007 draft.

After last season, Broncos coach Josh McDaniels met with Moss and encouraged him to gain both weight and perspective, and it appears he's done both.

He added seven pounds of muscle and now packs 257 pounds on his sleek 6-foot-7 frame, and his rededication is evident in his physique and his fitness.

"He had a great offseason, and we talked to Jarvis about that being important for him," McDaniels said. "I think he's stronger. He's maintained his weight, which has been an up-and-down thing and has kind of fluctuated in the past. He's got such a lean body, but he's very powerful."

And his head is no longer swimming with Xs and Os and bogged down by personal problems.

"He knows the system better," McDaniels said. "It's not his first year in this system playing as an outside linebacker and he's doing a lot of the little things right that take some time to learn," McDaniels said. "So, we're excited about what we've got with Jarvis this year."

Moss wants more than anything not to be known as a first-round flop.

"I want to go ahead and start a legacy for myself," he said, "just live up to what people expect me to be."

Moss, who came into the league as a 4-3 defensive end, feels he's found a home at outside linebacker in the 3-4:

"I love it. I realize this is what I should have been doing for a long time," he said.

And something he has hopes to be doing for a lot longer, too.

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/Jarvis...2.1841091.html
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2010, 04:56 PM   #2
yerner
Ring of Famer

After news stories like this one players always end up getting released.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:56 PM   #3
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

That sounds great, I hope he succeeds. Nothing like more great talent.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:57 PM   #4
CEH
Ring of Famer

This could be the story of the year. Dedicated, weight kept up, we need a presense opposite Doom. All great pass rushing teams have 2 forces to deal with

I'm rooting for the kid
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:58 PM   #5
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'm beside myself with excitement.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:02 PM   #6
HorseHead
Ring of Famer

Stay thirsty my friends..

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bay Bay

still needs to keep going to the "Olive Garden" , and carbo loading like a mo fo..
HorseHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:03 PM   #7
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Somewhere, I think we've heard this before.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:05 PM   #8
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

AFC West qbs have just been put on notice, Moss means business now...
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:14 PM   #9
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

He's serious now. Who cares about the millions he's pocketed for 3.5 sacks of production. Sounds like his contract is coming to an end. Pay this kid more money if you dare.
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:15 PM   #10
Broncobiv
Tee many martoonis

Considering we spend a 1st AND a 3rd AND a 6th round pick to get this guy...he'd better produce this year!
Broncobiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:25 PM   #11
BroncoLifer
Living the Dream

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post

Moss has just 3 1/2 sacks in his career and has struggled to fit into the NFL ever since former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan moved up to select him with the 17th overall pick in the 2007 draft.
I was surprised to read that he actually has 3.5 sacks --- I sure don't remember them.
BroncoLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:28 PM   #12
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

I'll believe it when I see it. In 6 or more games.
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:37 PM   #13
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

Yeah that's the worst thing about this time of year, all the write ups about the busts talking a big game but seldom, if ever producing. We already had the Ayers version of this about a week ago so next week it will be the Richard Quinn has worked really hard and gotten stronger story followed up the week after that with the Alphonso Smith has gotten faster, taller, and has a great attitude article...
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:41 PM   #14
extralife
Ring of Famer

It's a little late to not be a bust there, chief.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:43 PM   #15
CSU Husker
Seasoned Veteran

Sweet, maybe he will get one tackle this year.
CSU Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:53 PM   #16
RunSilentRunDeep
Ring of Famer

I root for laundry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

He must be flashing Corey Jackson-type skills.
RunSilentRunDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:57 PM   #17
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipCorrington25 View Post
Yeah that's the worst thing about this time of year, all the write ups about the busts talking a big game but seldom, if ever producing. We already had the Ayers version of this about a week ago so next week it will be the Richard Quinn has worked really hard and gotten stronger story followed up the week after that with the Alphonso Smith has gotten faster, taller, and has a great attitude article...
You state it like it's a bad thing those guys had articles like this about them. This is what sports "writers" always write about second year guys.

Comparing Moss to them is apples and oranges. Moss has just been a big fat disappointment.

If this is his first year of really trying well then great. We have a 4th year rookie. Let's hope he can make us all believe in him. Because right now I think we're all tired of reading about it.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:06 PM   #18
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Sweet....about time we got our training camp "Moss Out To Prove He's No First-Round Bust" article.
SouthStndJunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:08 PM   #19
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

I thought I gave up on Moss.

Then like the Bronco Homer I am, the glimmer of hope fills my eyes again.

I don't think he'll ever amount to much in the league and I'd almost be annoyed if he did now that he's wasted so much of the teams time - an odd thing to say for sure, and no doubt I want dominant player on the team, so I'd love for him to be elite... but I'd rather some other player came from no where to become a superstar talent.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:21 PM   #20
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
It's a little late to not be a bust there, chief.
Come on, one thing is to call him a bust which is fair enough, but it isn't a but harsh to start labeling him a Chief, he hasn't failed that bad.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:24 PM   #21
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

You know there is no fan emotion vested in Moss anymore. He has been written off and has become an after thought except when we talk about how wasteful that pick was.

So to me there is no need to have to see proof or even argue whether he has turned the corner.

Its a win win of sorts. Either he doesn't do anything like the past 3 years as fans expect or he comes in and becomes a contributor which makes the team better.

I hope he is better and plays better!
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:24 PM   #22
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Come on, one thing is to call him a bust which is fair enough, but it isn't a but harsh to start labeling him a Chief, he hasn't failed that bad.
I lold
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #23
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Yes, but does he want to dominate?
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:55 PM   #24
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

So what happens if he plays very well? Do we eventually move Ayers in next to DJ? Does Ayers have the tools to play inside?
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:57 PM   #25
ShutDownPoster
raging lurker

JUSTICE is served!!

Jarvis Moss on the field after a running play:

ShutDownPoster is offline   Reply With Quote