The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default 8-2 PM Practice

Just got back from practice, largest crowd I've seen for a weekday practice. Much sloppier than the first day, especially on offense. Several players had to run laps for mistakes and entire unit had to at one point. The defense seems to really be coming together. A few mistakes here and there but you can see why Wink was promoted, he has a great feel for the defense and is the perfect guy to coach the players - a teacher who is vocal about mistakes and more vocal about great plays. This isn't meant to be a bash on Shanahan so please don't take it that way, but I remain amazed at the amount of detail McDaniels' practices go into - they're so organized and go over drills of some of the most unique elements of the sport. For example they had a drill to work on blocking FGs in which they brought out a tumbling mat, soaked it in water and had a line going to work on blocks. Also, the QBs had a drill to work on throwing screen passes off their back foot with a diving man in their face. They really work on the little things.

Now a lot of people having been asking me about whose been playing where so I did my best to put together a depth chart. For some positions where guys have been interchaning a great deal with the same unit, I've sublabeled them. Players I have not seen take a single rep outside of standing around for scout team have an astrick:

QB
1) Orton
2) B.Quinn
3) Tebow (although he does get reps with the 1st team for QB draws and QB sweeps, which look like they'll be a big part of our offense)

HB
1) K.Smith
2) Ball
3) Hall
4) Baker

Slot WR
1) Eddie
2) Stokley
3) Honeycutt

FL
1) Lloyd
2a) Willis, 2b) Thomas

SE
1) Gaffney
2a) McKinley, 2b) Decker
3) Arnett

TE
1) Graham
2) R.Quinn
3) Branson
*) Gier, *) Overbay

LT
1) Polumbus
2) Duncan

LG
1) Beadles
2) S.Olsen

C
1) Walton
2a) Hochstein, 2b) Fry

RG
1) Kuper
2a) Daniels 2b) E.Olsen

RT
1) Harris
2) Batiste
*) Barton

LE
1) Bannan
2) L.Smith
*) Stehele

RE
1) McBean
2) Green
3) Garland

NT
1) Fields
2) Thomas

WOLB
1) Doom
2) Moss

SOLB
1) Ayers
2a) Atkins, 2b) Kirlew, 2c) Alexander (These three rotate a lot and often two are in together but I'm not sure whose on the weakside then, I think Alexander)
*) Bishop

WILB
1) DJ
2) Woody

SILB
1) Haggan
2a) Ayodele 2b) Griesen
3) Mays

LCB
1) Goody
2a) Zo, 2b) Jones
3) Thompson

RCB
1) Champ
2) Cox
3a) Carter, 3b) Vaughn

FS
1) Hill
2) McBath
3) McCarthy

SS
1) Dawk
2) Bruton
3) Barrett

Obviously not exact, but the best I could do - there's a lot of mixing and matching.

As for the practice, again a bit sloppy on offense and not a lot of big plays. Best play of the day was in 11-on-11 when Orton zipped one to Graham in between Haggan and Hill for about 15 yards. The defense got the best of the offense in almost every drill (pretty common for early in camp).

The OL continues to worry me as they just don't get any push. Bannan, Fields, Green and McBean constantly play on the other side of the line of scrimmage. Not many good runs today, Kolby had a few on some cutbacks but they were mostly bottled up. Here's a quick run down of a notable players that should wrap my report:

Orton - Solid day, looked the best of the QBs - only one big mistake which was a quick pass that should've been picked by Carter. His mid-range ball is really pretty and accurate but he's the worst deep thrower.

Quinn - Had some mistakes, missing progressions and definitly has accuracy issues throwing deep as his beautiful spiral goes right out of bounds. His mechanics, body type and spirals remind me so much of Brandstater.

Tebow - Still taking too long to go through his reads and wants to scramble too easily (typical rookie problems). Threw a few balls in the dirt with pressure in his face but no major mental brakedowns. The release looks good, his passes aren't as pretty as the other two QBs but he's actually more accurate on deep balls and his intermediate passes get better as practice progresses. Vision continues to be good on runs.

Kolby - Had some nice cutback runs but the drop in talent from Knowshon/Buck to him is dramatic, I still like Lance Ball more because of his balance.

Willis - Continues to make nice catches, catching one deep ball from Tebow. Very quick and you can see how hard he's trying.

Lloyd - Remains the best of the WR group, so athletic and nimble. If he's even with a CB, he'll pull away to make the catch. I'm really excited to see him in game action.

Gaffney - Had a nice catch over Cox, but should've been Offensive PI. Didn't notice much else

Royal - Sent him on a deep pattern where Champ ran with him step-for-step and Orton over threw it. In the slot full-time, made a few nice catches and is by far the quickest WR.

Decker - Sloppy day, had a few drops - one would've been a tough one-handed grab.

Thomas - Didn't notice him much beside one circus, jumping catch over a CB that I couldn't see. A long strider, he just pulls away from guys with every step.

R.Quinn - Honestly, the suprise of camp to me. We've been throwing to the TEs a lot which I didn't expect to begin with and Quinn's caught everything his way. He's got great body control and is damn fine blocker. I'll wait to see how he plays in the preseason but at this point he looks like a 2nd rounder.

Branson - I don't get the hype, this dude sucks. He jumped offside a few times and had to run multiple laps, and has had several drops. I don't think he's as fast as Quinn, maybe not even as fast as Graham.

Polumbus - Had a better day in pass pro but still gets no push in the running game. Couldn't see much of Beadles or Walton but appeared they were being pushed back a bit.

Bannan - STUD. Holy crap I had no idea how good this guy was. Harris is having a really tough time sticking with him and he's blowing up plays in the backfield left and right. Easily the best offseason acquisition.

McBean and Fields - They've gotten a lot better from last year, especially McBean. He's blown up a few plays and is the most athletic of the DL. I think Fields is playing hurt because he comes off the field a lot and works with trainers but he's causing a lot of pileups. If Jamal is healthy we've got a nice NT rotation.

Haggan - Star of the day, dude was everywhere. He's got a nasty streak to him and is the vocal leader of the D not named Dawkins. He destroyed Hall on a screen pass and is pretty good in coverage too. At least through the first few practices, he looks to be an upgrade over Davis.

Ayers - He's really caught on to the mental side of things, calling out checks and playing very naturally. Much like late last year he's getting into the backfield often but still needs to work on outside contain. He did a good job for a few plays but then Quinn started down blocking and sealing him consistently. Also wiffed a few times in one-on-one juke drills. Still, the improvement is noticable and he looks a good 5-7 lbs. heavier with muscle.

Jones - This guy SUCKS!!! He's been getting torn up every time I see him. Orton through what should've been a pick right to him and he dropped it. I don't know what the coaches see in him because he honestly looks like the worst CB we've got.

Zo - (Homer alert) By contrast he looks awesome, didn't get beat once today and easily the best man-to-man CB we've got. He's working almost exclusivly out of the nickel not getting many reps on the outside. He's been playing a lot more man instead of zone which suits his skills better. You can see his confidence swelling. I can't wait to see if he keeps it up in games.

Cox - Looks to be our most natual return man by a mile, very smooth and fast. On the flip side, he's getting beat a lot at CB - the game looks too fast for him right now. The QBs are definitly picking on him a bit.

McBath - Got yelled at twice, once by McDaniels for being too close to a drill he wasn't in; next by Wink for blowing a coverage. His athletic ability is evident, he's easily the fastest S (outside maybe Barrett but I haven't seen him much) and has good tackling form. You can tell he's being groomed to be the next QB of the secondary and make all the calls.

That does it, I won't have a camp report tomorrow as I have work - hopefully someone else can make it out.

Timmy working on screen pass drills

Hercules Jr. (aka Lance Ball)

Timmy throwing

Rip it Timmy

Field Goal block drill

Timmy leading the sprints

Last edited by montrose; 08-02-2010 at 08:51 PM..
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2010, 07:28 PM   #2
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21ís No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Thanks for the updates and thank you very much for posting your own thread. Some good reports got lost in that 300+ post thread yesterday.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:34 PM   #3
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Montrose=Stud.

Great work.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:40 PM   #4
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Most excellent, thanks Montrose!
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:49 PM   #5
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

yeah thanks a lot
I have a question though about Ayers and Phonz
I have been getting contrasting reports about these two players

I have seen some people say Ayers looked good out there, and others say he wasnt very impressive
I have also seen a couple people say Phonz was getting worked out there

I wonder what is causing the disparity
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:50 PM   #6
randomtask
Thomas is my hero.

Like a complete unknown

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Walton

good read, thanks.
randomtask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:51 PM   #7
jsco70
Seasoned Veteran

Cannot thank you enough for the report! Same to all the others who have taken the time and made the effort.
jsco70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:54 PM   #8
BlueCrusher
Bowlen's drinking buddy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarsh615 View Post
Thanks for the updates and thank you very much for posting your own thread. Some good reports got lost in that 300+ post thread yesterday.
Thanks for the updates Montrose!

Wasn't the o-line playing pretty crappy Clady's first year? I thought I remember Harris getting pushed around like my daughter's popper toy. Then they just started gelling and kicking arse.
BlueCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:57 PM   #9
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Montrose is all man baby...
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:58 PM   #10
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Appreciate the reports Montrose
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:05 PM   #11
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Great stuff, clear consice, insightfull.

Well done.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:13 PM   #12
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Thank you, Big M. I'm really afraid that the drop from Clady to Polumbus is like falling off the Empire State Building. Nice to see an old Buff, Bannan, kicking ass.

I'm already worried about the running game.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:14 PM   #13
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

next time your are in VA, your bar tab is on me.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:16 PM   #14
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Should we be very concerned about the O-line getting worked over it sounds bad
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:21 PM   #15
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Thanks.

Great to see them riding McBath on the little things and increasing the responsibility for him. He can handle it and it will only make him better long term.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:21 PM   #16
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

have my babies
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:21 PM   #17
brncs_fan
How about some Tapenade!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Manti Teo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
Should we be very concerned about the O-line getting worked over it sounds bad
This is pretty typical of the beginning of training camp. After week 1 the offense catches up and we have a better idea of where we stand.
brncs_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:28 PM   #18
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I'd agree with brncs_fan, from what we've heard year after year, it seems to be the case. Keep in mind that two players we have running with the first team have never played in the NFL before, and this is the first time any amalgamation of these guys have been a working unit together. With that many youngin's on the line, we are probably going to see our fair share of lumps taken this year, but they have six weeks to prepare and get it down.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #19
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

Is Spencer Larsen getting any reps at ILB, or is he strictly FB?
BigPlayShay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:36 PM   #20
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Montrose, Thanks buddy~!!`
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:36 PM   #21
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
yeah thanks a lot
I have a question though about Ayers and Phonz
I have been getting contrasting reports about these two players

I have seen some people say Ayers looked good out there, and others say he wasnt very impressive
I have also seen a couple people say Phonz was getting worked out there

I wonder what is causing the disparity
Ayers has been up-and-down from what I've seen, but more up than down. The LBs have been mostly on the other field and during 9-on-7 I've usually been on the other side of the field so it's a bit hard to see. Overall Ayers looks solid to me, don't think he'll be a dominate sack guy but he'll be really good against the run and provide consistent pressure across Doom. Remember it took Spencer and Woodley a few years to go from that type of production to getting sacks.

One mixup with Smith is that Nate Jones has his old number (33) and Smith is now 22. Jones has been god awful so it wouldn't suprise me if people confused the two as Jones has looked far worse than Smith ever did last year. I've seen Smith get beat on two deep passes all camp when he had good position and it as a perfect throw-and-catch. Other than that he's been outstanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCrusher View Post
Wasn't the o-line playing pretty crappy Clady's first year? I thought I remember Harris getting pushed around like my daughter's popper toy. Then they just started gelling and kicking arse.
Yes, Harris looked beyond awful that camp - he was getting worked by Engleberger. I was stunned that opening game against Oakland how good the OL looked. I wouldn't be stunned if the OL gets better as we move along because of the rookies and lack of Clady - but at this point they're certainly our worst unit. Through the first three practices I'd rank those units:

1) DL
2) LB
3) WR
4) DB (I put WRs higher because of Jones crapiness)
5) TE (could be as high as #2 if Branson didn't suck)
6) QB
7) RB
8) OL

Quote:
Originally Posted by brncs_fan View Post
This is pretty typical of the beginning of training camp. After week 1 the offense catches up and we have a better idea of where we stand.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPlayShay View Post
Is Spencer Larsen getting any reps at ILB, or is he strictly FB?
Strictly FB, and we haven't used the formation much at all. In fact not much 2 TEs either. So far, almost exclusivly 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB - base offense installation.

Last edited by montrose; 08-02-2010 at 08:52 PM..
Old 08-02-2010, 08:43 PM   #22
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

So Bannan looks the part. What about Jarvis Green?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #23
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

As ridiculous as it is right now (but I can't make anymore for a while), based on three practices if I were making the 53-man roster it would be:

Offense - 25
(3) QB: Orton, B.Quinn, Tebow
(4) RB: Moreno, Buck, Ball, Larsen
(7) WR: Lloyd, Gaffney, Royal, Stokley, Thomas, Decker, Willis
(2) TE: Graham, R.Quinn
(9) OL: Clady, Beadles, Walton, Kuper, Harris, Polumbus, S.Olsen, Hochstein, E.Olsen

Defense - 25
(7) DL: Bannan, J.Williams, Green, McBean, Fields, C.Baker, Thomas
(9) LB: Doom, DJ, Haggan, Ayers, Moss, Ayodele, Woodyard, Reid, Mays
(9) DB: Champ, Goody, Dawk, Hill, Zo, Cox, McBath, Bruton, Barrett

Special Teams - 3
(1) K: Prater
(1) P: Colquitt
(1) DS: Paxton

Possible Practice Squad Guys
T.Baker, McKinley, Garland, Kirlew, Thompson
Old 08-02-2010, 08:48 PM   #24
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
So Bannan looks the part. What about Jarvis Green?
I've seen him make some nice plays and holds his ground well, should be a nice rotational player but he's not as dominant as Bannan.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:53 PM   #25
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I'd agree with brncs_fan, from what we've heard year after year, it seems to be the case. Keep in mind that two players we have running with the first team have never played in the NFL before, and this is the first time any amalgamation of these guys have been a working unit together. With that many youngin's on the line, we are probably going to see our fair share of lumps taken this year, but they have six weeks to prepare and get it down.
Happy birthday, Req!
broncogary is online now   Reply With Quote