The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Default Bailey out to prove hes one of the best

Bailey out to prove hes one of the best

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. - Even at 32, perennial Pro Bowler Champ Bailey(notes) insists he's still among the best cornerbacks in the business.

Anything that Darrelle Revis(notes), Nnamdi Asomugha(notes) or Charles Woodson(notes) can do, the Denver Broncos standout contends he can do better or at least just as well.

Heading into his 12th season, Bailey doesn't feel like he's lost even a hint of his superior speed or a trace of his first-rate cover skills.

All he needs is for some quarterbacks to doubt him and throw the ball his way more often.

"I still can run with the best of them," Bailey asserted. "Until I do bad, then I bump myself down."

And until that time, he will consider himself one of the gold standards at defensive back, the definition of a shutdown cornerback.

"Look at my track record," he said.

Bailey has amassed quite a resume since being drafted out of the University of Georgia in 1999, making three All-Pro squads, nine Pro Bowl teams and picking off 46 passes, a total second only to safety Darren Sharper(notes) (61) during that span.

And that's with quarterbacks frequently electing to challenge his counterpart on the other side of the field, which this season should again be Andre' Goodman(notes).

Although he's entering the final year of his contract one that will pay him US$13 million he maintains he's not motivated by his next big contract.

"I can't control that," he said.

Bailey said he didn't mind the Broncos putting their big bucks into linebacker Elvis Dumervil's(notes) bank account. Dumervil signed a five-year, $58.332 million extension last month, leading many fans to wonder if Bailey was next in line for a huge contract extension.

Given Bailey's age and price tag, the Broncos might decide to let him go in free agency after this year.

"It's not something I think about now," Bailey said. "I'm just concentrating on getting better."

When one of the best in the business wants to get even better, he pulls out footage of fellow cornerbacks around the league.

These days, his must-watch list includes defensive backs such as Revis, a holdout with the New York Jets, and Woodson of the Green Bay Packers. New to his video library is Philadelphia's Asante Samuel(notes).

"Samuel's style is a little different from mine, but the way he plays and makes plays, that's what I try to steal from him," Bailey explained. "(Revis), I started watching him more in the second half of the season. He's got the total package. That guy can play."

Of course, Bailey is the one all the impressionable defensive backs strive to emulate around the Broncos headquarters.

His apt pupil this season is Perrish Cox(notes), a fifth-round pick out of Oklahoma State and the cornerback who may just be his backup in 2010.

"Champ does it so smooth, makes it look so easy until we go out there and try it," Cox said. "It's tougher than it looks."

There's a noticeable spring in Bailey's step this summer, a vigour that wasn't quite as apparent last summer. He said that's because he's not having to learn a new scheme again.

Sure, Don (Wink) Martindale is Denver's fifth defensive co-ordinator in as many seasons, but he's bringing the same principles to the field after serving as linebackers coach last year.

There will be no radical changes, such as in 2009, when defensive boss Mike Nolan ushered in the era of the 3-4 at Dove Valley. And a beefier defensive line should give Bailey more chances to do what he does best: pick off passes.

Martindale is hoping quarterbacks indeed decide to test Bailey.

"He's been here forever and made a lot of great plays," Martindale said. "I love it."

Bailey also arrives at camp healthy again, no lingering groin problems to hamper him like last summer.

"Now, I'm more confident," Bailey said. "More confident about what we're doing."

In the twilight of his career, he's finding an appreciation for two-a-days, no longer loathing them like he once did.

"I won't always be this positive," Bailey said, grinning. "But it's something I've tried to train myself to do, just because I know I've got to get through it to get where I want to go."

That's back to the playoffs, where the Broncos haven't been in four seasons.

The team started out 6-0 last year but finished 8-8 in coach Josh McDaniels' rookie season.

Bailey has played in just five playoff games in his career, and never reaching the Super Bowl gnaws at him.

"Get there and don't win is not good enough. Getting in the playoffs is not good enough," Bailey said. "Getting a ring is the only thing that's going to make me satisfied with my career in this league."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...bition-4105320
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

I was so impressed with Bailey's ability to cover WRs on Sunday. I know its real early and the season hasn't even started, but right now, he doesn't look like he is missing a step.

I would really like to hang that man's jersey on the ring of fame after he retires as a Bronco. Hopefully he'll have left a few finger prints on a Lombardi trophy too.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

I'm really glad we have him this year. In fact I feel like the team would have imploded in on itself if we lost him more than any other player this off season. We need his leadership, work ethic, attitude and skill.

Next year I'm willing to let him walk.

It's a harsh business.

My preference is of course that he stay and retire a Bronco, but he is going to want to get paid, just like everyone else and I don't want to mortgage the team for a 33 year old CB... or a 33 year old player at ANY posistion!

If he plays for a reasonable contract great. Otherwise
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
I'm really glad we have him this year. In fact I feel like the team would have imploded in on itself if we lost him more than any other player this off season. We need his leadership, work ethic, attitude and skill.

Next year I'm willing to let him walk.

It's a harsh business.

My preference is of course that he stay and retire a Bronco, but he is going to want to get paid, just like everyone else and I don't want to mortgage the team for a 33 year old CB... or a 33 year old player at ANY posistion!

If he plays for a reasonable contract great. Otherwise
I agree. However, I think we won't see Bailey get a contract until late in the season or after the season because of this. I truly believe that if Bailey sees this team on the rise with the potential to get far into the playoffs in the next few years he'll negotiate for less. I think that if the Broncos see Bailey performing at a high level this year, they'll negotiate for more.... if both or either have more struggles than expected, they'll most likely part ways.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:06 PM   #5
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish McStout View Post
I was so impressed with Bailey's ability to cover WRs on Sunday. I know its real early and the season hasn't even started, but right now, he doesn't look like he is missing a step.

I would really like to hang that man's jersey on the ring of fame after he retires as a Bronco. Hopefully he'll have left a few finger prints on a Lombardi trophy too.
It'd be a big disappointment if he never got a ring!
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:07 PM   #6
wolf754life
Anti Homer Board Director

Sunshine and Rainbows Fanboys

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jack Del erious

last year in denver, enjoy him while you can, personally i think he was great, but definitely overrated, i'll never forgive him for that ball that bounced off his face in the opening drive against the steelers in the afc chipper..........
wolf754life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:15 PM   #7
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf754life View Post
last year in denver, enjoy him while you can, personally i think he was great, but definitely overrated, i'll never forgive him for that ball that bounced off his face in the opening drive against the steelers in the afc chipper..........
His ****ing shoulder was in a sling dude. Be mad at Ferguson.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:25 PM   #8
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
His ****ing shoulder was in a sling dude. Be mad at Ferguson.
Dude its wolf he has a chip on his shoulder for anything related to Shanny. Its easy to blame Bailey for the AFC Champ debacle but the real reason they lost was a crappy QB not one play. Again its wolf, its to be expected.

That said just remember what you showed me on another non-broncos related website that gave us a good laugh. Makes it much easier not to get wound up.....
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:07 PM   #9
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

What a waste of expensive talent for nothing between Champ and Graham.

Of course we have the picks from Cutler, Marshall, Scheff and Hillis, right?

We get Moreno, Ayers, Smith, Tebow and what? BeadleS?

I was thrilled we picked up Quinn because it meant we wouldn't draft Tebone.

Meanwhile, Hillis is turning heads in Cleveland.

Meanwhile, Denver should pick up Fargas.

This is a weak team.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:10 PM   #10
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post

This is a weak team.

Classic mock!
BlaK-Argentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:17 PM   #11
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Wouldn't be playing in that AFC Championship game if it wasn't for Champ's on the field audible to switch with Dwill right out of the huddle. Then after the switch, Champ subsequently picked off Brady. A 14 point swing, and like so many games that year, Champ bailed us out.

I do agree with you that this is Champ's last year in Denver. McDaniels and Bowlen aren't going to pay up.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:20 PM   #12
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

http://www.vegas.com/gaming/futures/superbowl.html

How amusing.

55/1 despite we are ranked above both KC and Oakland.

Last edited by watermock; 08-02-2010 at 10:23 PM..
Old 08-02-2010, 10:27 PM   #13
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Does Bailey really have to prove he's one of the best?
I didn't think so. Only age can slow him down, but he still brings game...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:27 PM   #14
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:

This is a weak team.
Pants on the ground

Poop smells like Tebow

Tebow is an idiot rent a vowel

Champ is no Champ... er wait damn Beezer stop posting

Look air....
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:46 PM   #15
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
It'd be a big disappointment if he never got a ring!
For who?

Why?
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:51 PM   #16
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Is he going to have shoulder surgery after he retires?
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:55 PM   #17
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

No, 55/1 in Vegas says otherwise.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:59 PM   #18
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:

Son of Huggy Bear?? Talk about overrated

Que up the horselaughs......
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:06 PM   #19
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Wasnt he interfered with that play by Ward? I know they didnt call anything, but i seem to remember Wards hands on him
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:57 AM   #20
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
It'd be a big disappointment if he never got a ring with Dawkins in Denver!
Fixed
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote