The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2010, 05:55 PM   #1
Popps
It's so easy

Default Westbrook speculation...

Nothing new. More speculation. Some Baker stuff to read...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4...rook-to-denver

J.J. Arrington has been a Bronco for two years, but he will not play a game for the team.

In a surprise move, Denver traded the running back/return man to Philadelphia for linebacker Joe Mays .

According to people close to Arrington, the move was totally unexpected. Arrington was headed into the season with the inside track to be the third-down running back and perhaps a returner. Denver resigned Arrington this year after signing and cutting him last year after he needed knee surgery.

The question now is who Denver’s third-down back will be. The trade could potentially mean Denver will revisit signing free agent Brian Westbrook . In June, Denver sources said they were no longer interested in Westbrook because the team wanted to see what Arrington could do. The source said Westbrook could come back into play in training camp if the team wasn’t sold on Arrington.

So, it’s something to think about.

The questions surrounding Westbrook are mostly centered around his health. In recent seasons Westbrook has been plagued by injury and more seriously, concussions. With Denver releasing Arrington the question is once again third down production. One must question, giving his history, Westbrook filling that role.

With rookie Toney Baker still on Denver's roster, as well as the speculation surrounding Tim Tebow in third down packages, perhaps The Broncos are comfortable with what they have in third down production and would use Westbrook as a pass catching threat out of the backfield.

Toney Baker is a rookie running back from North Carolina State University who joined the Broncos as a college free agent on April 30, 2010. He played 38 career games at N.C. State from 2005-09, totaling 451 rushes for 2,045 yards (4.5 avg.) with 17 touchdowns along with 65 receptions for 676 yards (10.4 avg.) with four scores and finished his collegiate career ranked 11th in school history in both rushing yards (2,045) and rushing touchdowns (17). He ranked sixth in the Atlantic Coast Conference in rushing (64.4 ypg.) and ninth in all-purpose yards (94.0 ypg.) in 2009, totaling 160 rushes for 773 yards with six touchdowns and 28 catches for 355 yards with three scores. Baker received the ACC's Brian Piccolo Award in 2009 as the conference's most courageous player after recovering from a right knee injury that forced him to miss nearly the entire two previous seasons.

This is yet another story surrounding the Broncos training camp and preseason. I wouldn't be surprised giving his friendship with Brian Dawkins and Correll Buckhalter, Westbrook coming into Denver competing for a roster spot.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2010, 06:04 PM   #2
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Would be a solid signing IMO!
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:19 PM   #3
Popps
It's so easy

Yea, I think the price would be right... and another solid vet to help the offense couldn't hurt.

Seems like a low-risk signing. Even if it buys us more time to develop one of the younger guys.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
LRtagger
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I dont see how it could hurt. Especially with Moreno still developing. He could probably learn a thing or two from Westbrook.
LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:05 PM   #5
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Im down for it. Westbrook is always an asset when he's healthy.
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:49 PM   #6
Borks147
the dude abides...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRtagger View Post
I dont see how it could hurt. Especially with Moreno still developing. He could probably learn a thing or two from Westbrook.
yeah, like avoiding injuries really well......

did I break anyones sarcasm meter?
Borks147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:50 PM   #7
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

This would also probably lock us in as Eagles fans' favorite AFC team.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:56 PM   #8
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRtagger View Post
Wouldn't hurt us any but Westbrook might suffer crippling migraines for the rest of his life...

Personally if the guy's concussion status is better than Chris Millers was I would sign him but it would be a waste of time for both teams if he took another bad hit and had to call it quits.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:06 PM   #9
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

I really hope letting Arrington go is a good reflection on Baker. Baker and Moreno for the next 3-4 years might be a great combo. I got a feeling Westbrooks phone will ring when a team has injuiries and need another productive RB.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:13 PM   #10
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I really hope letting Arrington go is a good reflection on Baker. Baker and Moreno for the next 3-4 years might be a great combo. I got a feeling Westbrooks phone will ring when a team has injuiries and need another productive RB.
I am guessing they let westbrook rest up then call him near the end of camp. No need to pound him around.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:04 PM   #11
extralife
Ring of Famer

Westbrook wouldn't have a role on this team. If we want a back, I'd rather pick up LenDale White. That dude can score on the goal line, and that's a weakness of our team.
extralife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:06 PM   #12
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKid A View Post
This would also probably lock us in as Eagles fans' favorite AFC team.
Yup, because that's so important. I'm getting wood just thinking about how many Eagles fans might want to start catching a bit of some Bronco games.

ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:25 AM   #13
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

11 posts and not one on HILLIS! WTF man? Bring back Hillis and he is our 3rd back. Just think of all the juicy threads to come with training camp?
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:42 AM   #14
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Pass on Brian Westbrook.

In theory it sounds great, but in reality, the dude has a soft dented melon that has been concussed too many times.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:28 AM   #15
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

I kind of wanted to see what Arrington could do for the return game.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:52 AM   #16
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

I was hoping Westy would retire. Seems like a class act. Always played hard and seemed to always put team first. Would be a shame for him to end up all brain damaged.

His choice though. If he does become a Bronco I would be really happy. Just having guys like that around can run off on the younger guys. Also let them realize that winning is tough. Winning the whole thing even tougher. Vets like Westy who have struggled to try and get there are a perfect example of that.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:52 AM   #17
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

I like the idea of Moreno staying in the game and learning how to be an every down back.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:08 AM   #18
broncswin
God I love those Broncos

Bring back the hardware

Adopt-a-Bronco:
three amigos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I like the idea of Moreno staying in the game and learning how to be an every down back.
THIS
broncswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:05 AM   #19
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Yup, because that's so important. I'm getting wood just thinking about how many Eagles fans might want to start catching a bit of some Bronco games.

I know, right?! We already locked in the U of Florida fans to a 5-year contract. Obviously this is a brilliant marketing strategy by McGenius to win over a larger fan base in this weakening economy.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:01 PM   #20
boppool
Ring of Famer

Superbowl or bust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
Westbrook wouldn't have a role on this team. If we want a back, I'd rather pick up LenDale White. That dude can score on the goal line, and that's a weakness of our team.
We now have Tebow for that..
boppool is offline   Reply With Quote