The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Possible Dilemma

So I've been pondering this while at work and It'd be interesting to hear what people think . Let's say for hypothetical purposes Orton sucks it up and Quinn gets his shot.

What will McD do if he comes in and tears it up for the next two years? What do we do with Tebow? Does McD continue to play Quinn or does his ego keep giving Tebow a shot? I can't imagine him wanting to play a situational/backup role his whole career.
McDman is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2010, 02:44 PM   #2
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman444 View Post
So I've been pondering this while at work and It'd be interesting to hear what people think . Let's say for hypothetical purposes Orton sucks it up and Quinn gets his shot.

What will McD do if he comes in and tears it up for the next two years? What do we do with Tebow? Does McD continue to play Quinn or does his ego keep giving Tebow a shot? I can't imagine him wanting to play a situational/backup role his whole career.
Best player will play. Its a rare but great problem to have. Either way if they both are showing potential then you can for sure get a lot back in trade.

But the possibility of that is not very high just based on history.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:46 PM   #3
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

He'll play Quinn and then deal him when he thinks Tebow is ready.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:48 PM   #4
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
He'll play Quinn and then deal him when he thinks Tebow is ready.
That's what I'm afraid of.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:53 PM   #5
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
It wouldn't be what I wanted either, but it's what I think he'd do under the circumstances you laid out.

To be honest, I'm skeptical that Quinn is ever going to get any real oppertunity to start.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:55 PM   #6
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Worst case scenario is he trades Quinn thinking Tebow will come into his own and he fails.

I still don't know how I feel about the pick.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:55 PM   #7
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Worst case scenario is he trades Quinn thinking Tebow will come into his own and he fails.

I still don't know how I feel about the pick.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:00 PM   #8
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

if the best guy is starting, I couldn't care less
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:01 PM   #9
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
You're afraid of a hypothetical that you made up in your head That is extremely unlikely? Rest assured: Quinn is huge mangina who has career backup all over him. Every team in the league would love to have that "problem".
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:03 PM   #10
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

If Brady plays an elite level, then I doubt Josh would trade him away

Even though Josh really likes Tebow, if Quinn comes out there looking like Tom Brady then I would think unless Tebow elite in practice as well that he would be more willing to keep Quinn and deal Tebow

Quinn is still young as well, so he could still be a long term solution
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:06 PM   #11
Popps
It's so easy

I like having Quinn on the team, but I do fear that he's a career back-up.

Of course, it's impossible to judge anything from what happened in Cleveland. So, I could be wrong.

But, yea... if Quinn plays lights-out, he'll simply keep the starting gig and Tebow will be a reserve/utility player for a bit. McDaniels isn't going to fix what isn't broken. Guarantee you that.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:13 PM   #12
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
You're afraid of a hypothetical that you made up in your head That is extremely unlikely? Rest assured: Quinn is huge mangina who has career backup all over him. Every team in the league would love to have that "problem".
Haha, no, I'm afarid he'll get rid of Orton or Quinn regardless of how well they're doing because he has put a lot of his future into Tebow.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:19 PM   #13
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Haha, no, I'm afarid he'll get rid of Orton or Quinn regardless of how well they're doing because he has put a lot of his future into Tebow.
The one thing McDaniels loves more than Tebow is winning.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:27 PM   #14
bap454
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

The whole plummer/cutler saga all over again-without the star power these pretty boys have.
bap454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:57 PM   #15
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Orton had a career year last year. No reason to believe he will regress.

And don't believe the MSM hype that McD's future is tied to Tebows. TT was a luxury pick that McD did some maneuvering for in order to trade back into RD1.

I'm of the opinion that TT will succeed here eventually. But even if he doesn't, it will simply be a page in McD's tenure.....Not his legacy.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:33 PM   #16
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post

Doesn't "career year" mean his best year in his career? Are you saying he has another career year in 2010? I am confused.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:15 PM   #17
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Winners play, losers sit. McD will play the guy who gives him the best chance to win every game. At the minute he thinks that's Orton. Nice to have options though if that does not pan out as planned.

As we've seen from early picks before like Ayers and Smith, if they dont perform McD wont waste too much time sitting their asses or making them earn their crust on ST.

I realise a QB and especially one as unorthodox as Tebow needs more time to develop but McD has all the cards here, Orton is cheap for one more season and Quinn for 2, so he has at least 2 years to develop Tebow if he can get the team to a decent level where Pat doesn't feel the need to coach change again.

As the Patriots have found down the years you can never have enough QB's, how many picks have those ones traded netted them
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:32 PM   #18
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Paraphrasing McDaniels, " the best players will play, no matter what their position."
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:53 PM   #19
HAT

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Doesn't "career year" mean his best year in his career? Are you saying he has another career year in 2010? I am confused.
Yes. And yes.

Confused why?
Old 07-31-2010, 10:09 PM   #20
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:

Oh no you didn't...

They rapin' e'reybody up here.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:31 PM   #21
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post

And don't believe the MSM hype that McD's future is tied to Tebows. TT was a luxury pick that McD did some maneuvering for in order to trade back into RD1.

I'm of the opinion that TT will succeed here eventually. But even if he doesn't, it will simply be a page in McD's tenure.....Not his legacy.
Orton had a career year for Orton. Hopefully we are looking for much, much more.

Total failure with TT would not be McD's legacy as long as he does something meaningful with his legacy. I'm hoping that TT turns into a big slap in the face to the MSM, not for McD's sake, but for the Broncos.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:35 PM   #22
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

The way I look at at is like this.
From best to worst:
1-Tebow
2-Quinn
3-Orton

This is ranked by both athletic abilities and potential.

Obviously Orton is our #1 QB but not for long.
McDaniels didn't draft two QB's and signed and traded for another thinking Orton is his long term solution.
He's got his eyes on Quinn since last year. He finally got him not knowing he would have had a shot at Tebow at the time of the trade.

The dilemma would be if Quinn plays out to his potential as a former first round draft pick.
He will have a familiar system to run and a much better team all around than the one he played in Cleveland for 3 years.
Some people are banking he's going to fail because of his NFL performance at Cleveland.
I wouldn't be so quick yet in doing so. He could well be our starter despite the wishes of most here to not be the case.
I think people here forget something very importand about Quinn that you should factor in before you deem the guy a failure, and that is that in 3 years in Cleveland, Brady Quinn only played in 14 games, 10 of which came last year, so in essence, the guy does not have a full NFL season under his belt yet

Tebow in my opinion has the potential to be a game breaker. We will find out during his development whether he is or he is not.
If he is the player I think he can be, it won't matter what Quinn does.
JMHO

Last edited by strafen; 07-31-2010 at 10:38 PM..
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:40 PM   #23
tnedator
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
He be gone..

Quote:

What if Orton raises his game to a WHOLE new level to the point where McDaniels feels he has to extend him and start him in '11?

I think Tebow has to outplay the competition, or at least play as well, in order to get on the field. Obviously, if we are 2-7 after 9 games, then he may go to the rookie just to get him experience.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:50 PM   #24
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
What if Orton raises his game to a WHOLE new level to the point where McDaniels feels he has to extend him and start him in '11?

I think Tebow has to outplay the competition, or at least play as well, in order to get on the field. Obviously, if we are 2-7 after 9 games, then he may go to the rookie just to get him experience.
Not a shot of that happening in this lifetime.
What you saw, what I saw and what everybody saw in Orton's abilities to play QB is it.
There's nothing available past that point.
Sure, he'll know the system better than anyone else by now, but he still sucks at playing QB.
He can't improvise, he can't make things happen on his own when things around him collapses and it is just not athletic enough to play this game.
You need a QB who has at least half of those qualities, and Orton does not bring that in his game.
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:52 PM   #25
HAT

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
Orton had a career year for Orton.
Thanks...I wasn't quite sure what the definition of 'career year' was. Awesome.