The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2010, 10:58 AM   #1
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard
Default Interview with B. Quinn

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/mrice/...-the-new-guys/

One Of The New Guys
July 28th, 2010 - 12:30am by mike_rice

The offseason is over. Training camp is upon us. This marks the final installment of our interview series leading up to the start of camp.

In this edition, we bring you thoughts from new quarterback Brady Quinn (BQ), whom the Broncos acquired in a trade with the Cleveland Browns.

During OTAís (organized team activities), Quinn spoke with 850 KOA.

850 KOA: What first went through your mind when you heard the Broncos traded for you?

BQ: When I first found out, the GM from Cleveland called. I thought someone did a prank call so I wasnít sure if it was real or not until he told me Josh (McDaniels) would call me a few minutes later. When Josh did call, it kind of hit me that it was for real. I was really excited for the opportunity. I have looked forward to playing for a coach like Josh, a guy who loves offense, loves the quarterback position and is really going to help develop a guy (and) do some different things on offense to take advantage of the defense. Itís definitely a great opportunity for me. Any time you think of the Denver Broncos and the storied program that it is, itís an exciting time.

850 KOA: What was your reaction when you heard the Broncos drafted Tim Tebow?

BQ: No different. Tim Tebow being drafted here really doesnít have a whole lot to do with me. My goal is to work as hard as I can, get as good as I can and go in and compete. Thatís my job and my role. Every coach is going to try to put as many good players on the team as he can. Thatís what he (Coach McDaniels) did by drafting a guy like Tim Tebow.

850 KOA: Josh McDaniels and former Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis once coached together with the Patriots. When you look at the Broncosí offense, do you see similarities with what you ran at Notre Dame under Coach Weis?

BQ: Thereís definitely a lot of crossover, a lot of similarities. Granted, I havenít been in that system (Notre Dameís) for three years, but even playing under Brian Gable last year (in Cleveland), his offense had a little bit of crossover from what I ran under Charlie. Itís a good fit for me; itís a good system. Again, Iím excited about the opportunity.

850 KOA: We hear it is a quarterback-friendly system. What does that mean?

BQ: To me what I think that means is giving the quarterback the opportunity to pretty much do anything he wants. Youíre making the decision at the line of scrimmage and setting things up. From there, youíre controlling whatís going on, how to get your team into the best play and really deciding what the best thing to do is in each given scenario. For a guy who likes to play quarterback, thatís right up my alley. Thatís something I had the opportunity to do in college and itís something we had the opportunity to do a little bit last year. Iím excited about being able to do that here.

850 KOA: What is it like to have the kind of competition the Broncos have at the quarterback position?

BQ: That was the situation I came into as a rookie (in Cleveland) so itís really not much different than what I was accustomed to. Thatís actually what it was going into last year with Cleveland. We had four guys on the roster even though it was mostly between Derek (Anderson) and myself. A quarterback competition is a quarterback competition. Everyone kind of looks at that and focuses on that. Everyone is competing all over the field. Itís not just at quarterback. I think in the end that makes everyone better and it makes your team better as a whole.

850 KOA: Coach McDaniels has made it pretty clear that he is going to play the best player at any given position. Even though coaches say things, players are smart and know if a coach is just saying that or if he means it. Since youíve been in Denver, have you been given any indication that the quarterback job is not open?

BQ: Josh has been up front with you guys (the media) just as much as heís been up front with us. The best guy will play and thatís what he has stated all along. I think itís in the best interest of any head coach to play the guy who gives him the best chance to win. Thatís been no different than what weíve heard.

850 KOA: The weather is a lot better in Denver than it is in Cleveland.

BQ: (laughing) Youíre not kidding. It has been beautiful.

850 KOA: Welcome to Denver and thank you for your time.

BQ: Thank you.

As of now, Quinn is second on the depth chart behind starter Kyle Orton. Feel free to post your thoughts on the three-way quarterback competition (Orton, Quinn, Tebow) and how you think things will shake out.

Full-squad training camp practices start on Sunday, August 1. Iíll have a training camp preview in my next post.

Thanks for reading.

Sincerely,
Mike

BQ looks to make a splash!
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2010, 11:09 AM   #2
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Well he sure says the right things.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:55 PM   #3
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

I don't know, for some reason he comes across to me as a tool.
listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

It's still 50/50 that he will get a realistic chance here.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
I don't know, for some reason he comes across to me as a tool.
Maybe I shouldn't have posted a pic of him pretending to be a football mermaid.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:55 PM   #6
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish McStout View Post
Maybe I shouldn't have posted a pic of him pretending to be a football mermaid.

Mer-man. MER-MAN!
Old 07-28-2010, 02:17 PM   #7
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Brady needs to take some chances during the preseason and hope they work out. If he can do that and have some success, he'll make it close.

If he try's to copy Orton's play, he doesn't have a chance. We need a guy who can manage the offense, yet at the same time, is someone who will challenge the defense. That's what keeps defenses guessing. That's not Orton. Quinn needs to seize the oppurtunity or it will pass him by.
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:31 PM   #8
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
Brady needs to take some chances during the preseason and hope they work out. If he can do that and have some success, he'll make it close.

If he try's to copy Orton's play, he doesn't have a chance. We need a guy who can manage the offense, yet at the same time, is someone who will challenge the defense. That's what keeps defenses guessing. That's not Orton. Quinn needs to seize the oppurtunity or it will pass him by.
I agree....my biggest complaint of Brady Quinn in Cleveland was his tentative play.

Brady needs to take some chances when he gets on the field and make things happen.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:42 PM   #9
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
[IMG]
Mer-man. MER-MAN!
My bad Yo!
Old 07-28-2010, 02:49 PM   #10
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Will Quinn get a fair chance with the Tebow circus coming to town? I highly doubt it
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:52 PM   #11
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
Will Quinn get a fair chance with the Tebow circus coming to town? I highly doubt it
A fair chance from who (or is it whom?)? Media? Josh? God?

For Josh - I think he got a decent shot during the minicamp, and I would assume he will get as much of a fair shot in TC as Tommy B and Chris Simms got last year. Its just on him to make the most of the opportunities he is given if he wants to create more.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:54 PM   #12
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

I believe the Tebow circus and all the hype will usher Josh to use him sooner than he should but we'll see what happens
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:54 PM   #13
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish McStout View Post
A fair chance from who (or is it whom?)? Media? Josh? God?

For Josh - I think he got a decent shot during the minicamp, and I would assume he will get as much of a fair shot in TC as Tommy B and Chris Simms got last year. Its just on him to make the most of the opportunities he is given if he wants to create more.
Just to round out your questions, no way he gets as good a chance from God. No way. Tebow is His son and all.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:17 PM   #14
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

At some point and time this season, I want to see what Brady Quinn can do in this offense.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote