The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
521 1N5
Perennial Pro-bowler

Default Drama Dez does Dallas. It begins.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...williams-pads/

Dez Bryant won't carry Roy Williams' pads

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 25, 2010 8:39 PM ET

NFL rookies are often required to carry veterans' pads as a sort of training camp hazing ritual. But Cowboys rookie Dez Bryant wants no part of it.

Tim MacMahon of ESPNDallas.com reports that Roy Williams gave his pads to Bryant today, and Bryant refused to carry them.

"I'm not doing it," Bryant said. "I feel like I was drafted to play football, not carry another player's pads."

Bryant says this isn't a case of a first-round pick thinking he's above an NFL tradition. Instead, it's about a player who says he won't tolerate being treated badly.

"If I was a free agent, it would still be the same thing," Bryant said. "I just feel like I'm here to play football. I'm here to try to help win a championship, not carry someone's pads. I'm saying that out of no disrespect to [anyone]."

But Williams says Bryant was wrong to refuse his request.

"Everybody has to go through it," Williams said. "I had to go through it. No matter if you're a No. 1 pick or the 7,000th pick, you've still got to do something when you're a rookie. I carried pads. I paid for dinners. I paid for lunches. I did everything I was supposed to do, because I didn't want to be that guy."

Although the Cowboys' decision to draft Bryant was widely viewed as a sign that the team is less than thrilled with Williams' performance, both Bryant and Williams have steadfastly insisted that there's no bad blood between them. That stance of unity between Bryant and Williams lasted through all of two days of training camp.

UPDATE: After seeing this item, Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman weighed in on Twitter about what Williams' next step should be.

Shawne Merriman is a f-a-g

521 1N5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Eh, whether the hazing is friendly natured in carrying pads or much worse, it's still hazing. One should not be compelled.

When I was in the military, I adamantly refused the blood rank. For those not familiar, that's where they take off the backs off your rank and everyone pounds it into your skin, pulls it out, then repeats. I refused to partake in hazing and some looked down upon my refusal.

If he didn't want to participate, I commend him for refusing. He better not try to make rookies carry his gear in the future though.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:55 PM   #3
521 1N5
Perennial Pro-bowler

I don't have a take on hazing. I mean whatever, but I think it's funny how he's already on the fast track to being the biggest queen ever. Look at all the controversy surrounding this guy. It's inevitable.
521 1N5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:57 PM   #4
DivineBronco
Ring of Famer

if you like Cutler you are my enemy

its going to be interesting to see Dez deal with miles austin getting more touches then him many games I smell a melt down
DivineBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:05 PM   #5
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by 521 1N5 View Post
I don't have a take on hazing. I mean whatever, but I think it's funny how he's already on the fast track to being the biggest queen ever. Look at all the controversy surrounding this guy. It's inevitable.
But people are so desperate for drama from the guy that anything is seen as the start of it all. What if a guy without those same questions had raised the point? If Jake Long had come in and refused to be part of their rituals, would it have been his diva act coming out?

He may still be a queen but it's the same as Jamarcus' situation not too long ago, in my opinion. People were so set on seeing his self-destruction that the world went crazy because he was arrested over some cough syrup. There may be more to this one and Jamarcus' situation but people love it when they see what they've predicted would happen.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:08 PM   #6
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

This is why you can never really buy that these guys who were clowns in college will be able to suddenly "turn it around" or "mature" in the pros. Sure they say they will, they may even believe it and make something of an effort and avoid making a major, obvious gaff.

But more often than not being a dumbass is just ingrained in problem guys like Bryant, and little scenarios like this one (which agents/mentors/etc probably haven't forseen to coach him on) come up, his actual lack of humility and intelligence shine through.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:11 PM   #7
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
But people are so desperate for drama from the guy that anything is seen as the start of it all. What if a guy without those same questions had raised the point? If Jake Long had come in and refused to be part of their rituals, would it have been his diva act coming out?

He may still be a queen but it's the same as Jamarcus' situation not too long ago, in my opinion. People were so set on seeing his self-destruction that the world went crazy because he was arrested over some cough syrup. There may be more to this one and Jamarcus' situation but people love it when they see what they've predicted would happen.
Probably true, but it's all the more reason for him not to take this silly stand. If he had half a brain in him he would know the media would jump all over these kinds of quotes by him. But he displays exactly what you would expect from someone with rap for being a dumb immature kid, and starts acting stubborn on day 2 of camp. He's got so much talent and so much opportunity ahead of him that I hope he isn't really as stupid as he is seeming.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:26 PM   #8
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKid A View Post
Probably true, but it's all the more reason for him not to take this silly stand. If he had half a brain in him he would know the media would jump all over these kinds of quotes by him. But he displays exactly what you would expect from someone with rap for being a dumb immature kid, and starts acting stubborn on day 2 of camp. He's got so much talent and so much opportunity ahead of him that I hope he isn't really as stupid as he is seeming.
The stand on principles is subjective and what seems petty to one person may be important enough to another. He probably could've found a way to be more obscure and avoided the question but at least he answered it in a way that wasn't "I'm as good as he is. I shouldn't have to carry his pads. I think I'm better so maybe he should carry mine.".

Last edited by That One Guy; 07-25-2010 at 09:57 PM..
Old 07-25-2010, 09:51 PM   #9
ShutDownPoster
raging lurker

JUSTICE is served!!

great start - at least they're not on NFL Hard Knocks
ShutDownPoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:05 PM   #10
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
Williams gave his pads to Bryant after Sunday's morning practice, but Bryant declined to carry them. Williams threatened to go to "step two" when talking to reporters.
Quote:
What would "step two" be?"We'll find out. Definitely going to find out," Williams said. "I don't know. I've seen guys take people's credit cards and go fill up their cards and wife's cards and everything. There's a lot of dirt that goes on in that locker room."
Yesssss.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:07 PM   #11
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Williams should just shut up and do his job. He might not suck so much if he put in the extra work and carried his own ****.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:08 PM   #12
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

The guy is stupid, and here's why. We all get mad about things. We have lifelong friends who have a quirk, a significant other who maybe does something to irritate us. Happens probably daily.

Do we start fights daily? No. We pick our spots. We let things slide, we fight on other things. I think this is a ridiculously stupid thing to fight on. Carry the guy's pads and be done with it.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:05 AM   #13
DenverBroncosJM
Post here Vine

Quote:
Eh, whether the hazing is friendly natured in carrying pads or much worse, it's still hazing. One should not be compelled.

When I was in the military, I adamantly refused the blood rank. For those not familiar, that's where they take off the backs off your rank and everyone pounds it into your skin, pulls it out, then repeats. I refused to partake in hazing and some looked down upon my refusal.

If he didn't want to participate, I commend him for refusing. He better not try to make rookies carry his gear in the future though.
Sorry there is vast difference from what you described and carrying someones pads 2 blocks
DenverBroncosJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:10 AM   #14
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

I was impressed that Dez signed early and was the first of the 1st round picks to sign.

He should have sucked it up and carried the pads, it's not like he was asked to perform some inhumane act....carrying pads is about as gentle as it gets hazing-wise.

Rookies in training camp need to shut their mouths and be seen and not heard.

Focus on the task at hand and get your revenge on Roy Williams by taking his job from him.

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 07-26-2010 at 12:14 AM..
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:28 AM   #15
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

He's already proved to be mentally weak.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:51 AM   #16
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
I think that's exactly the point. Guys without the drama queen attitude don't refuse. They get it.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:09 AM   #17
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

I thank you for your service. I also will say that you are a b****.

What is funny is people here cry about how Cutler and Marshalls attitudes hurt the team and then last week were saying we made a mistake not drafting this little douche. You guys can't even stay somewhat consistent in what you say. It is kind of funny but also makes Bronco fans look like a bunch of dumbasses.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:23 AM   #18
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Quote:

I bet you jumped at the chance to tack/pin someone on though.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:41 AM   #19
Rugby7
Solid Starter

Quote:

Maybe you shouldn't place your self above everyone else on your team or that has gone before you. If the tradition was shaking hands you probably would not have declined. You shouldn't carry your low tolerance for pain as a badge of honor.
Rugby7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:08 AM   #20
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
The guy is stupid, and here's why. We all get mad about things. We have lifelong friends who have a quirk, a significant other who maybe does something to irritate us. Happens probably daily.

Do we start fights daily? No. We pick our spots. We let things slide, we fight on other things. I think this is a ridiculously stupid thing to fight on. Carry the guy's pads and be done with it.
this, exactly...great post

whether people like it or not, rookie hazing is part of the program and by doing this he is once again demonstrating that his personal wants are above the team's

it is a minor thing to battle over, and he is making a mistake by doing it this early with something so trivial

being late in college, crap like this...they all just display that his needs are above anyone elses needs which will not equate to a successful career I imagine

I am so glad we passed on this douche, I have heard the defense that Williams doesn't deserve to have his pads carried which is utter bull****...he is a veteran player and Bryant is a rookie, that is the bottom line

I said it before and I am sticking to it...Bryant will be suspended for one reason or another before his 3rd year is over with
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:41 AM   #21
brncs_fan
How about some Tapenade!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Manti Teo

I think Dez will find a new set of "pads" in his locker:

brncs_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:48 AM   #22
meangene
Ring of Famer

Bryant doesn't have the intelligence or character to be making a stand on principle. This is nothing more than his continued prima donna arrogant attitude. Just like when he was suspended by his team for being repeatedly late, just like when he was suspended by the NCAA for lying, just like when he showed up for his pro day out of shape and unprepared, just like when he told pro scouts he really doesn't like to run routes over the middle, just like when he takes plays off when the ball is not coming his way, just like when he decided to show up to support Pac Man on his pro day, just like when he told a half truth about being questioned by the Dolphins as to whether his mama was a prostitute, just like refusing to carry a veteran's pads like the other rookies do, just like _______ - fill in the blank. Can't wait to see what's next.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:13 AM   #23
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

I don't think there is anythig wrong with him refusing to carry Roy William's pads, and I also think there is nothing wrong with the ten fold retaliation he will get because of it from the rest of the team. You choose to make a stand, good for you, but you better be damn ready to suffer the concequences of it... cause they be coming, Dez.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:15 AM   #24
DarkHorse30
Smith Rules

Adopt-a-Bronco:
wolf pot roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKid A View Post
This is why you can never really buy that these guys who were clowns in college will be able to suddenly "turn it around" or "mature" in the pros. Sure they say they will, they may even believe it and make something of an effort and avoid making a major, obvious gaff.

But more often than not being a dumbass is just ingrained in problem guys like Bryant, and little scenarios like this one (which agents/mentors/etc probably haven't forseen to coach him on) come up, his actual lack of humility and intelligence shine through.
bingo. Dez Bryant needs a baggage handler - funny stuff, poor Wade....I still like that guy for bringing Zimmerman and Habib to Denver... even Anthony Miller.
DarkHorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:26 AM   #25
BroncoLifer
Living the Dream

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Hazing in all forms is crap -- more power to Dez.
BroncoLifer is offline   Reply With Quote