The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2010, 11:24 PM   #1
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default Pre Camp Roster Thoughts and ridiculously early Final 53

OFFENSE (24)

QB (3) Orton, B. Quinn,

HB (3) Moreno, Buckhalter, Arrington

FB (1) Larsen

WR (6) Gaffney, Royal, D. Thomas, Lloyd, Decker, McKinley

TE (3) Graham, Branson, R. Quinn

OL (9) Clady, Beadles, Walton, , Harris, Polumbus, Hochstein, Fry, S. Olsen

DEFENSE (25)

DE (4) Bannan, M. Thomas, Green, McBean

NT (3) J. Williams, Fields, Baker

OLB (4) Dumervil, Ayers, Reid, Moss

ILB (4) DJ Williams, Haggan, Woodyard, Ayodele

CB (6) Bailey, Goodman, Jones, Smith, Cox, Carter

S (4) Dawkins, Hill, McBath, Bruton

SPECIAL TEAMS (3) Paxton, Prater, Colquitt

PRIME CANDIDATES FOR PRACTICE SQUAD (6) (With two spots left open for pickups from other clubs) Thompson, E. Olsen, Kirlew, McCarthy, Stehle, Vaughn

NOTABLE CUTS (2) Stokley, Barrett

General Thoughts
1. I'd be surprised if Marcus Thomas isn't starting ahead of Jarvis Green at the DE spot opposite Bannan. He's really packed on some extra weight and strength (he's purportedly at 316, still a bit small for 3-4 NT, but could be a real biatch to run against at 3-4 DE.....Green is mainly a situational player and only 285).

2. Brandon Stokley is obviously a better football player than Brandon Lloyd. However, there have been rumblings that he doesn't feel he fits the offense and I just have a gut feeling that if they keep six at that spot (an extra vet backup to help the kids) they'll choose Lloyd over him. When he got a chance to play some more at the end of last season, he was able to pitch in a few decent games after doing nothing previously.

3. Jarvis Moss is kind of like the rasputin of this team. I think he's in a two man battle with Jamie Kirlew for the backup WOLB spot. I suspect he will probably be able to hold on one more year.

4. I know 9 linemen seem like alot, but given the questions inside and the injury issues outside, they need all the roster depth they can get.

5. I know 6 corners seem like alot, but this is probably the deepest part of the team. Ordinarily, I'd say they'd keep 5, but Tony Carter is feisty and competitive when he gets a chance to play and almost forces you to keep him. I think he'll hold off Thompson...for now. Carter did some nice things for this team last season despite his size. Hopefully, Smith can learn from that example.

6. One thing I was kind of surprised at when looking at this roster is that there are not alot of one on one roster battles for spots. There are very few truly competitive open slots, here. I suppose there's a 3 man battle for 2 spots at backup safety, but I think the two kids proved some things last year and have more room to grow than Barrett at this point (who's probably levelled off). Actually, Kyle McCarthy out of ND might be a guy to keep an eye on. They did sign Atkins and some other backup OLB's, but I still expect Reid to hold onto his spot.

7. The rationale for 3 NT's is that with Fields's incident (and possible discipline, although I think that's unlikely myself), they need extra depth and I believe the staff has made some good comments about Baker not too long ago, anyway.

What are your roster thoughts going into camp?

BRING BACK BUTCH

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 07-24-2010 at 11:32 PM..
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2010, 11:52 PM   #2
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

Moss is very curious, that one pre season game they played him last year he was so quick off the ball and there was hope and then....... nothing....

How long can you produce nothing and live off potential?
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:07 AM   #3
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipCorrington25 View Post
Moss is very curious, that one pre season game they played him last year he was so quick off the ball and there was hope and then....... nothing....

How long can you produce nothing and live off potential?
For as long as we pay him next to nothing.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:04 AM   #4
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
5. I know 6 corners seem like alot, but this is probably the deepest part of the team. Ordinarily, I'd say they'd keep 5, but Tony Carter is feisty and competitive when he gets a chance to play and almost forces you to keep him. I think he'll hold off Thompson...for now. Carter did some nice things for this team last season despite his size. Hopefully, Smith can learn from that example.
I agree with most of your post except this:

Carter becomes expendable with the signing of Nate Jones IMO. Barrett has much better ST value than Carter offers, while Jones can play CB, S, and is a very good ST player.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:40 AM   #5
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
For as long as we pay him next to nothing.
That's right, most of his money was guaranteed and up front.
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:34 AM   #6
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit

Rediculously early!
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:41 AM   #7
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Looks like Colquitt has the punting job locked up.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:49 AM   #8
thecool
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I don't think Barrett will get cut. He and Bruton were two of the best gunners in the league last year on punting special teams. Barrett is an extremely hard worker...
thecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:51 AM   #9
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Regards to Stokley, who all common sense would point to as gone, McD has brought him up immediately almost every time asked about the WR position sans BM. Now he's also brought up Matthew Willis not too long after - so that doesn't mean he sticks - but I'd think at this point the Broncos know what they have in Stoke at WR and know he can't help on ST. If he wasn't going to be kept around I figure they'd have cut him by now. Also, TheCool hit it on Barrett, McDaniels complemented Barrett several times for his work as a gunner.

With that, my list:

OFFENSE (25)
(3) QB: Orton, B.Quinn, Tebow
(4) RB: Moreno, Buckhalter, Arrington, Larsen (FB)
(6) WR: Royal, Gaffney, Lloyd, Stokley, Thomas, Decker
(3) TE: Graham, R.Quinn, Branson
(9) OL: Clady, Beadles, Walton, Kuper, Harris, Polumbus, Hochstein, S.Olsen

DEFENSE (25)
(7) DL: Bannan, J.Williams, Green, McBean, Fields, Thomas, Baker
(8) LB: Dumervil, D.Williams, Haggan, Ayers, Reid, Ayodele, Woodyard, Moss
(10) DB: Bailey, Goodman, Dawkins, Hill, Smith, Jones, McBath, Bruton, Cox, Barrett

SPECIAL TEAMS (3)
(1) K: Prater
(1) P: Colquitt
(1) DS: Paxton

PS: RB L.Ball, WR M.Willis, OL E.Olsen, OL C.Marinelli, LB K.Alexander, LB J.Kirlew, DB S.Thompson, DB K.McCarthy
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:06 AM   #10
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Looks like Colquitt has the punting job locked up.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:08 AM   #11
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

If that D-line stays healthy, it really should be greatly improved. McBean as a #2 is very strong.

I also wonder how Thomas could do at DE. Weren't we going to try him more there this year?
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:35 AM   #12
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I have a feeling of E. Olsen gets put on the practice squad, he gets snatched up. Same thing with Thompson. Maybe not though.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:53 AM   #13
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
Regards to Stokley, who all common sense would point to as gone, McD has brought him up immediately almost every time asked about the WR position sans BM. Now he's also brought up Matthew Willis not too long after - so that doesn't mean he sticks - but I'd think at this point the Broncos know what they have in Stoke at WR and know he can't help on ST. If he wasn't going to be kept around I figure they'd have cut him by now. Also, TheCool hit it on Barrett, McDaniels complemented Barrett several times for his work as a gunner.

With that, my list:

OFFENSE (25)

DEFENSE (25)
(10) DB: Bailey, Goodman, Dawkins, Hill, Smith, Jones, McBath, Bruton, Cox, Barrett

SPECIAL TEAMS (3)

PS: RB L.Ball, WR M.Willis, OL E.Olsen, OL C.Marinelli, LB K.Alexander, LB J.Kirlew, DB S.Thompson, DB K.McCarthy
You only have 8 OL listed, not 9.
Inkana7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:10 AM   #14
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I feel like it's a boom or bust scenario this season, but I'm optimistic we can buy more time.

At WR we need growth fast from some guys who can barely run yet, otherwise we have to hope Kyle can throw Eddie open, or that Josh can scheme some guys open with the pick plays he loves to run. It should at least be a competitive unit, but as Broncos fans we've become used to dominate WR corps since Brandon took over the reigns. I don't expect to see his production duplicated, but I would like to see the ball moved and third down converted more often than not, and that might not be the case this season. Let's hope Thomas develops into a nice, big, reliable safety valve for Kyle.

At RB we have Buckhalter with yet another injury under his belt and Knowshon who ran extremely timid at times, and we've lost perhaps the best RB coach in NFL history.

At TE we've got a couple blockers with sub par receiving ability. We're not even aware if Quinn has ANY receiving ability at the moment. We flat our NEED to be able to attack the seam. The hardest part to cover in a cover 2 is the deep sideline. It's why corners get a nudge on the receiver to funnel them inside just a step. Without a seam threat, safeties won't need to shade in a yard and our deep passing game dies.

I love who we've added to the OL in the draft, but it's most likely a year too soon. Kuper making the line calls will help a lot, but regardless, the quickest route to the QB will be right over the centers ass and teams know this and will set up blitz packages accordingly. We also have Clady returning from injury and even in a best case scenario, he'll have a couple weeks of practice before being available to play and the covering his inside shoulder is also a rookie. Lots of room to get exposed on the blind side now, which isn't great news for a china doll QB.

At QB... sigh.

On the DL we added some great depth, but the only one that can moderately be considered an upper echolon player is Williams who comes with his own bag of question marks. The other two have little starting experience and have only been successful in the NFL as role players.

At LB we need Ayers to step up. I could care less about pressure from him. I'm more concerned with seeing him set a solid edge on the SS and start stringing any OT running plays out or force them to bounce it back inside. We can make some significant strides in our run D if Ayers can just calm down, read his keys, and step up with reckless abandon. Ayodele was a great signing for how we use that LB. Last season we spent a good chunk of time slanting the DL to free up DJ and it paid off. Hope he continues that success this season and they blitz him more often. He's very effective up the middle.

Our secondary is concerning. McBath will be a legit pro bowl player sooner than later, but we're still fielding 4 starters in their thirties that are now a year older at positions that put a premium on quickness. I'm hopeful they stay healthy and hold up well, but corner specifically will NEED to be addressed next year either through the draft or FA. I have no illusions that Alphonso Smith can ever play at a high level in this league.

On the other side of the coin:

At WR, we added a ton of talent and we have a coach that can scheme to player strengths and isolate favorable match ups.

At OL, we also added a ton of young talent and are effectively minimizing their responsibilities their rookie season by having Kuper make the line calls and we can use our TE's blocking strengths to slide protection to cover weakness.

At RB, Knowshon is a premier talent and had several games where he showed exactly what he's capable of. If he can consistently perform at those levels, our offense opens a whole new door.

At QB, we added solid depth to Quinn, Orton has another year in the system and the rise of Tebow is coming sooner than later.

At DL, we added veteran presences from extremely solid 3-4 coaching backgrounds and injected them into our current rotation.

In the 2ndary we have 2 HoF players still performing at a high level, Hill played well above expectations and Goodman was mostly good enough. Add a budding star in Darcel McBath to that and we could be a serious turnover threat on every down in the defensive backfield.

But which is it?
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:11 AM   #15
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
You only have 8 OL listed, not 9.
Prob just confusion over the Olsen/Olson twins. Most likely meant to have both up, but saw the name and thought both already were up.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:16 AM   #16
Mr.Meanie
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post

With that, my list:

OFFENSE (25)

DEFENSE (25)

SPECIAL TEAMS (3)

I just can't see us cutting McKinley. He's young, just drafted and lots of upside. I think if it comes down to it, we keep McKinley and cut Stokely.
Mr.Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:21 PM   #17
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I think I'm the only person who thinks Hochstein will start somewhere on the line - at least at the start of the season. I just don't see McDaniels starting two rookies right next to each other.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:28 PM   #18
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I think I'm the only person who thinks Hochstein will start somewhere on the line - at least at the start of the season. I just don't see McDaniels starting two rookies right next to each other.
Does that in any way, shape or form inspire confidence in you about our line?
Old 07-25-2010, 12:36 PM   #19
underrated29
Ahoy

You lika da sexy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

As you know in joshs camp its all about competition. JD will have C locked up- he already does...

So then it comes down to hochstein being able to beat out the beadle, seth olsen and eric olsen--all who are younger and bigger.....

Your theory makes sense, but really- I think this is Seths or zanes Job when it is all said and done.

Dream- I agree big time with you about eric and syd....Eric is waaaaaaaaay to valuable to let him sit on the PS--however, we just now signed him so who knows...But a guy that can play C and LG is big strong and young is a premium and probably would not last on the open market.

Same with syd...Dude is a solid corner but ran a slow ass 40. But as we see with dom foxworth that speed doesnt mean you can cover........I like syd- I do not see him making our squad unless we have an injury- but I also am not sure if he would make it to our PS either....
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:12 PM   #20
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
But which is it?
Both.

I'm sure we'll have games where we look like ****. But the talent level of this team in general has gone up quite a bit in the last two years so I'm expecting a good showing this year and a wild card.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:15 PM   #21
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
I can see Kuper starting at RG and LG simultaneously.

He's awesome like that.

BRING BACK BUTCH
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:10 PM   #22
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Something has to be done here. I am really worried about RB after Moreno. Buck is good for his 50 carries for the year and Arrington is below average runner and gets hurt. I think Denver will look hard at Westbrook.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:43 PM   #23
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbroncfan View Post

Something has to be done here. I am really worried about RB after Moreno. Buck is good for his 50 carries for the year and Arrington is below average runner and gets hurt. I think Denver will look hard at Westbrook.
I was going to bring up the same thing. 3 injury prone backs is all your keeping its a long summer/season
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:52 PM   #24
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Does that in any way, shape or form inspire confidence in you about our line?
No, though I think the worst isn't going to be as bad as maybe you do. Our interior was pretty atrocious last year, so I would expect at worst a shade below last year. Hopefully their size, athleticism, and youth would allow them to hold ground a bit better and that may off-set the mental errors we're sure to see. I suppose Orton making line calls would take some of the pressure of Walton too if he has to start there. Still, it seems a recipe for serious growing pains to me.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:55 PM   #25
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
You are about two months late, see the Tebow SI thread. I believe that Hochstein will be starter at either at Guard or Center when the season opens. Yes I know Watson was starting in OTAs but that is the time when coaching staff experiment with players and groupings. When it all said and done I believe they go with the vet in the center to keep Orton up right.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote