The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2010, 10:58 AM   #1
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default OT: Setting up a small business network

Okay, I have a question. I have to set up a network for my company's various databases. We house about 100 GB of data that needs to be accessed by a small handful of employees. I'd rather not pay to have it colocated, so I'm thinking of just setting up a server in my house. A few things:

1) Has anyone here ever had experience with that? If so, any suggestions?

2) What kind of hardware do I need to buy? Can I just get something like this, hook it up via ethernet, then have it accessible to computers outside my home?

3) I have the fastest cable connection Comcast offers. Is that going to be sufficient, or do I need to have something dedicated to just the server?

Thanks!
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
devantev
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

1) I certainly have numerous times but more so in office environments

2) Depends on what kind of database it is your running, is it MS SQL? Oracle? MySQL or something like Pervasive? How sensitive is the data? How do you connect to the Database - what kind of software? or is it web based? I would definitely recommend a firewall/router for security.

3) Depends on how many concurrent connections you expect to have, as well as how efficient your database is able to handle db transactions.

Let me know if you want to chat over the phone I could probably help.

Devante
devantev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:53 AM   #3
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by devantev View Post
1)Let me know if you want to chat over the phone I could probably help.

Devante
Thanks a lot for the offer! I just sent you a PM.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:54 AM   #4
mr007
I'm not your buddy, guy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
Okay, I have a question. I have to set up a network for my company's various databases. We house about 100 GB of data that needs to be accessed by a small handful of employees. I'd rather not pay to have it colocated, so I'm thinking of just setting up a server in my house. A few things:

1) Has anyone here ever had experience with that? If so, any suggestions?

2) What kind of hardware do I need to buy? Can I just get something like this, hook it up via ethernet, then have it accessible to computers outside my home?

3) I have the fastest cable connection Comcast offers. Is that going to be sufficient, or do I need to have something dedicated to just the server?

Thanks!
There's several issues to consider here:

1.) If you're setting up a server in your house, how are you making sure only the people who have authorized access to the server are accessing it? You need some sort of security setup to ensure this.

2.) As far as hardware is concerned, you don't need a physical raid array to take care of 100gigs of data, you could easily host this on a PC that has redundant drives.

3.) Residential cable/dsl lines are almost always high download speeds combined with slow upload speeds. If the employees are typically pushing data to the dbs, this isn't an issue. If the employees are typically gathering data and transferring data from the dbs, you could run into a serious bandwidth problem depending on the size of data being accessed.

4.) Do you have a static IP address? Are they supposed to access the dbs via DNS or just map a drive over the internet?

Honestly if you are hosting any sort of intellectual property or data that you are concerned about, you need to consider secure access mechanisms (such as a VPN) to maintain data integrity.
mr007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:38 PM   #5
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

What kind of company is it?

If they have any concern about their information being open to the public, they may want to go a different way then housing it in an employee's garage.

Make sure you factor in backups.
Ratboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:00 AM   #6
Kyle
Bigger Arm = Longer Pick

See: Favre and Cutler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orton

Cloud
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote