The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Juwan The Headless Thompson Gunner!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson
Default OT - Anyone buy the new remaster of Exile On Main Street?

Rolling Stones just remastered/remixed Exile on Main Street with new unreleased tracks from the session vaults.

I am afraid that they hosed it up and wanted some opinion of people I kinda trust (at least banter with on the IntERnets) before buying it.

I don't care much about the additional tracks because I read that Mick redid the vocals and added stuff that wasn't there during the sessions.

I checked out the documentary they just put out about the background of the tax issues that forced them to leave England and end up in France, until the French started threatening to bust Keith for smack. It was very interesting and nice to hear from Bobby Keys as well as the rest of the band as to how they worked at Nellcote.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2010, 12:12 PM   #2
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

I had never listened to this Album until I saw Phish play it live in Indio, Ca. Great music. I bet the re-masters sound a little better.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:05 PM   #3
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

I don't own it yet, but I'm going to be buying it (funny, I'm just off the treadmill with the Stones still playing). I can't find it, but on their Facebook page a while back they had a link to a review of the album with a gadget that you could listen to each song once. It sounded incredible.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:28 PM   #4
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

I heard it and didn't think the remastering job warrented buying it over yet again (and I say that because I've had this release on vinyl, cassette and CD over the years). I honestly didn't notice any great improvement soundwise, so I passed on it and just got the unreleased stuff off from a friend.

Just my two cents here but I've found most remastering jobs of old titles are soo subtle that they are totally unnoticeable to anyone but total studio rats. I suspect most are just ripoffs to milk some more $$$ out of a past title (like almost everything remastered/remixed/added extra tracks/etc. in the Elvis Costello & The Who catalogs for example).
Almost all of them are for fanatics only and not something you can't get along easily without.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:25 PM   #5
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Juwan The Headless Thompson Gunner!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
I heard it and didn't think the remastering job warrented buying it over yet again (and I say that because I've had this release on vinyl, cassette and CD over the years). I honestly didn't notice any great improvement soundwise, so I passed on it and just got the unreleased stuff off from a friend.

Just my two cents here but I've found most remastering jobs of old titles are soo subtle that they are totally unnoticeable to anyone but total studio rats. I suspect most are just ripoffs to milk some more $$$ out of a past title (like almost everything remastered/remixed/added extra tracks/etc. in the Elvis Costello & The Who catalogs for example).
Almost all of them are for fanatics only and not something you can't get along easily without.
I agree, I only bought the Beatles Stereo reissues last year because I played their catalog so much all the cd's were scratched. I wasn't impressed enough to tell people to run out and get them.

I still remember back in 82 or 83 RCA released remasters of a bunch of their orchestral catalog on vinyl in special packaging I bought a couple of the Fritz Reiner with the CSO records only to buy them again when the CD's came out after a couple years. I have a cheapo Also Sprach Zarathustra, the one with the stamp cover, then the remaster record which was like twice the price of regular records at the time and the CD, that is just Reiners version, I also have it by a couple other German conductors. I should look up what those RCA records go for now out of curiosity.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:23 PM   #6
keef
Solid Starter

I hate Oakland.

Default Exile

I didn't want the remaster since I didn't think they'd improve on the original record. Target had the new songs as a stand alone disc and I bought that instead. I absolutely love it! You can certainly hear the difference in Jagger's voice on a couple of songs, but it did not detract at all from them. Just brilliant. I Ain't Signifying, Plundered My Soul, Pass The Wine (Sofia Loren) and Following The River are awesome songs. Good Time Women rocks so much harder than Tumbling Dice(which it evolved into).
I cannot say enough good things about the record.
keef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:47 PM   #7
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Had a chance to listen, and I thought they did a fine job with the re-mastering.

The low end and lower mids are tighter and more focused, and it sounds like they did some subtle limiting to bring the overall output level up without squashing any of the dynamics.

Definitely worth a spin.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:21 AM   #8
Eli_Cash
Deep Circus

Boognish

Great Album

Remaster has some good extras, I think there's a version of Keith Richards singing Shine a Light.
Some other outtakes as well.

I too saw Phish play it live in Indio, they were the Rolling Stones for 90 minutes....
Eli_Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:39 AM   #9
MrPeepers
Ring of Famer

Remember Darrent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
I had never listened to this Album until I saw Phish play it live in Indio, Ca. Great music. I bet the re-masters sound a little better.

Same here, coachella last fall.
MrPeepers is offline   Reply With Quote