The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2010, 07:05 AM   #1
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Default 10 rookies who'll stink

Nothing much to see here, but what else is there to talk about?

Demaryius Thomas, Broncos WR
Thomas ran only the most basic routes coming out of Georgia Tech's flexbone offense, rarely cutting or changing direction. Missing out on offseason practices, therefore, was more problematic to Thomas than it would have been for most first-round receivers.
“Bay-Bay" does offer a tremendous size/speed package as a situational deep threat and red-zone weapon for the Broncos. Still, it’s going to take at least a year or two before he can consistently beat NFL corners to the point where he can be considered a viable No. 1 receiver.

Tim Tebow, Broncos QB
Tebow has a lot going for him, not the least of which are an impeccable college career, an unquestioned work ethic, and one of the game's best teachers in Josh McDaniels. On the flip side, he also entered the league lacking in several basic NFL quarterback skills.
Tebow will play. Similar to his freshman season at Florida, Tebow will offer the Broncos a different look on goal-line packages. The rest of his rookie season will be spent watching Kyle Orton learning how to read defenses, adjust his mechanics and develop arm strength. Whether or not Tebow becomes a star at this level, we’re at least a year from finding out.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/383538.../?beginSlide=1

Meanwhile, on the 10 rookies who will shine list:

Dez Bryant, Cowboys WR
This top-five talent tumbled in the draft due to rumors of tardiness at Oklahoma St. When the rest of the NFL passed on the draft’s best offensive player, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones pounced. Bryant immediately turned heads in post-draft practices.
The Cowboys are pushing Bryant into a big role as a rookie. It will be even bigger once they realize that Roy Williams doesn’t hold a candle to the rookie's explosiveness off the line, hands, and catch radius. This is a high-impact player in what may be the league’s most dominant offense throughout 2010.

I really hope the Broncos didn't blow it passing on Bryant.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2010, 07:19 AM   #2
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Here's another Tebow piece.

Thinking ahead to Tebow Time

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/07/21/thin...to-tebow-time/
Old 07-22-2010, 07:20 AM   #3
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

mark my words, Bryant is going to be suspended for one reason or another by season 3...I think we did well by passing
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:20 AM   #4
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Nothing much to see here, but what else is there to talk about?

Demaryius Thomas, Broncos WR
Thomas ran only the most basic routes coming out of Georgia Tech's flexbone offense, rarely cutting or changing direction. Missing out on offseason practices, therefore, was more problematic to Thomas than it would have been for most first-round receivers.
“Bay-Bay" does offer a tremendous size/speed package as a situational deep threat and red-zone weapon for the Broncos. Still, it’s going to take at least a year or two before he can consistently beat NFL corners to the point where he can be considered a viable No. 1 receiver.

Tim Tebow, Broncos QB
Tebow has a lot going for him, not the least of which are an impeccable college career, an unquestioned work ethic, and one of the game's best teachers in Josh McDaniels. On the flip side, he also entered the league lacking in several basic NFL quarterback skills.
Tebow will play. Similar to his freshman season at Florida, Tebow will offer the Broncos a different look on goal-line packages. The rest of his rookie season will be spent watching Kyle Orton learning how to read defenses, adjust his mechanics and develop arm strength. Whether or not Tebow becomes a star at this level, we’re at least a year from finding out.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/383538.../?beginSlide=1

Meanwhile, on the 10 rookies who will shine list:

Dez Bryant, Cowboys WR
This top-five talent tumbled in the draft due to rumors of tardiness at Oklahoma St. When the rest of the NFL passed on the draft’s best offensive player, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones pounced. Bryant immediately turned heads in post-draft practices.
The Cowboys are pushing Bryant into a big role as a rookie. It will be even bigger once they realize that Roy Williams doesn’t hold a candle to the rookie's explosiveness off the line, hands, and catch radius. This is a high-impact player in what may be the league’s most dominant offense throughout 2010.

I really hope the Broncos didn't blow it passing on Bryant.
They blew it by taking any WR in the first round. I do believe in the end that Decker will prove more valuable than Thomas which is the usual way of a 1st round drafted WR.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:29 AM   #5
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

McDaniels would look like even more of a joke if he drafted Dez. His entire message about good personality and team first players would go right out the window. I'm sure the dumb fans here would still buy his bull on why he gave away young pro bowlers but the players would start calling BS. Dez was late to practices and games. Every one that talked to him before the draft reported that he had the same attitude problems as most of the diva receivers.

It isn't like McDaniels is really agaist this type of player as he drafted Cox. He just backed himself into a corner and doesn't get to get good players that have character issues now. At least not any that want money. The Cox pick at least can be spun into it being easy to dump a low round pick. That spin doesn't really work when dealing with first round picks.

Last edited by jhns; 07-22-2010 at 07:32 AM..
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:40 AM   #6
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Second year running backs offer opportunity for fantasy value
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 21, 2010 12:21 PM ET
Last year's fantasy disappointments often become this year's best values.

The 2009 rookie running back was arguably the worst of the last decade in top-tier talent, failing to contain a 1,000-yard rusher or top-20 fantasy running back. The Rotoworld online draft guide projects the group to perform much better this year.

Shonn Green will get plenty of hype, but we still see him as an excellent late second-round value. Beanie Wells and Knowshon Moreno are better positioned for success this year than a year ago; both look like high ceiling RB2s that you can take in rounds three or four. (Moreno especially is getting overlooked.)

LeSean McCoy could put up Brian Westbrook-lite numbers for PPR leaguers, while Fantasy Nation has essentially given up on Donald Brown after one year. We haven't; you could do a lot worse for a mid-to-late round RB4 pick.

Remember that running backs retain trade value better than other positions, so you want to draft quality depth.

And of course, you can get complete projections to all of the runners above and other post-hype favorites, tiers, customizable scoring and all the rest at Rotoworld's award-winning online draft guide.

Until the next time we plug the thing, please help control the pet population. Have your pet spayed or neutered.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...fantasy-value/
Old 07-22-2010, 07:43 AM   #7
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

"On the flip side, he also entered the league lacking in several basic NFL quarterback skills."

What are these "several basic skills"? Converting O2 to CO2?
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:44 AM   #8
TonyR
Franchise Poster

NFL's worst offseason moves:

5. Redskins switch to 3-4 defense
The 3-4 scheme is new coach Mike Shanahan's preference and has a successful track record, but the change in Washington was unnecessary. The ’Skins already had a top-10 defense, and the switch alienated their best defender -- Albert Haynesworth. While outside linebacker Brian Orakpo is a good fit for the new system, bookend Andre Carter's effectiveness is now in doubt.

8. Rest of league lets Dallas get Dez Bryant
Skipping college classes (didn't we all?) was essentially the extent of Bryant's transgressions at Oklahoma State, but reports of "consistent tardiness" and a so-so Pro Day were enough to “Randy Moss” Bryant all the way to pick No. 24.

The Cowboys smartly traded up for the Andre Johnson-like talent, and inserted Bryant with their first-team three-receiver set in OTAs. Bryant, Jason Witten, and Miles Austin are going to form a wildly productive pass-catching corps for a long time.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/38349607/ns/sports-nfl/
Old 07-22-2010, 07:47 AM   #9
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Wow, I read that concise piece of journalism and now I am convinced!

They also list Taylor Mays and Dexter McCluster on the "stink list." I think that both of those guys ahve a chance to contribute. Actually McCluster scares me because he could very well be the next Dante Hall that gashes us a couple times a year.

Taylor Mays is probably behind mentally, but it's almost scary thinking of what he could become under Singletery. He could easily develop into the next bone crushing NFL safety if his job is kept simple (by the talent around him).

Oh well, training camp is almost here - only a few more of these dumb lists.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:14 AM   #10
dbfan21
Floridian living in KS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Who the heck is Chris Wesseling? Some wannabe writer working from the basement of his grandma's house in West Virginia? Please! To say they will stink is pretty bold...especially since teams have spent hours and hours scouting, interviewing and discussing these players.

For the record, Chris' article stinks.
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:54 AM   #11
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
McDaniels would look like even more of a joke if he drafted Dez. His entire message about good personality and team first players would go right out the window. I'm sure the dumb fans here would still buy his bull on why he gave away young pro bowlers but the players would start calling BS. Dez was late to practices and games. Every one that talked to him before the draft reported that he had the same attitude problems as most of the diva receivers.

It isn't like McDaniels is really agaist this type of player as he drafted Cox. He just backed himself into a corner and doesn't get to get good players that have character issues now. At least not any that want money. The Cox pick at least can be spun into it being easy to dump a low round pick. That spin doesn't really work when dealing with first round picks.
You are going to make this season very special for me. I believe we go 11 and 5 and win a playoff game this year. It wil be fun watching you squirm and backtrack. Thank you.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:00 AM   #12
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblueblooded View Post
You are going to make this season very special for me. I believe we go 11 and 5 and win a playoff game this year. It wil be fun watching you squirm and backtrack. Thank you.
I hope you are right. I have no need to squirm and backtrack though. I can easily erase posts where I was wrong and deny everything.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:01 AM   #13
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
They blew it by taking any WR in the first round. I do believe in the end that Decker will prove more valuable than Thomas which is the usual way of a 1st round drafted WR.
Your just dazzled by Deckers good looks. Thomas has way more upside.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:02 AM   #14
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
I hope you are right. I have no need to squirm and backtrack though. I can easily erase posts where I was wrong and deny everything.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:16 AM   #15
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Did he really say that? ROFL.

jhiz: forever a joke.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:32 AM   #16
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC

Dez Bryant is borderline retarded.
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:44 AM   #17
ZachKC
For The Glory Of The City

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Kennison

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRulon McVelvet McJones View Post
Dez Bryant is borderline retarded.
You can be that way and still be a pretty damn good NFL player. It is the Frank Gore rule or something like that.
ZachKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:01 AM   #18
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfan21 View Post
Who the heck is Chris Wesseling? Some wannabe writer working from the basement of his grandma's house in West Virginia? Please! To say they will stink is pretty bold...especially since teams have spent hours and hours scouting, interviewing and discussing these players.

For the record, Chris' article stinks.
This...it needs to be taken with a punch of salt, if at all.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:05 AM   #19
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Quote:

So true lol!! But the only problem I had with the article is that the said he would learn under Kyle Orton!
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:11 AM   #20
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Your just dazzled by Deckers good looks. Thomas has way more upside.
While yes I think that boy is fine, I thought he would be better before I saw how absolutely fine he was. He was projected for the first round before the injury and he is very good. There are more very good WR's taken in later rounds than in the 1st round. It's more me thinking the norm will play out.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:17 AM   #21
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Im still not sure what "basic skills" Tebow is missing. He had a funky motion. What other basic skills is he missing?
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:18 AM   #22
Popps
It's so easy

On the flip side, he also entered the league lacking in several basic NFL quarterback skills.

Yea, because most rookies come into the league with all NFL QB skills completely in tact.

Good point.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:22 AM   #23
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Im still not sure what "basic skills" Tebow is missing. He had a funky motion. What other basic skills is he missing?
Its rumored that he lacks certain carnal skills, but give the boy time - when he finally unloads it should be historic.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:26 AM   #24
outdoor_miner
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I have no need to squirm and backtrack though. I can easily erase posts where I was wrong and deny everything.
Dude - your post count would go back to like 0.
outdoor_miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:36 AM   #25
underrated29
Ahoy

You lika da sexy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I have hopes for decker but really, the dude is Never healthy. His greatest asset is that he catches Everything. Everything....Other than that he is bigger and strong, not real fast and Never healthy. Ever.

Sure he takes a beating and keeps on trucking, which I love him for, but we might have a case of darius watts on our hands here only in reverse.

Watts healthy, overhyped, couldnt catch a cold. Out of the league in 3yrs
Decker, never healthy, overhyped, caught herpes from someones hic up.
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote