The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2010, 06:13 PM   #1
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg
Default Offensive line thoughts and discussion

I posted a thread about the Defensive line awhile back and it garnered some good discussion. Let's get offensive, shall we?

O-line from last year: Ryan Clady, Ben Hamilton, Casey Wiegmann, Chris Kuper, Russ Hochstien, Ryan Harris, Tyler Polumbus, Brandon Gorin, and Seth Olsen.

This year's crew: Ryan Clady, Chris Kuper, Russ Hochstien, Ryan Harris, Tyler Polumbus, Seth Olsen, JD Walton, Dustin Fry, Eric Olsen, Stanley Daniels, D'Anthony Batiste, Zane Beadles, Seth Olsen, Kirk Barton, Chris Marinelli, and Paul Duncan

Thoughts: The ZBS is officially over. I think McDaniels was wise to run a hybrid his first year based on the players that he had available. We can now start looking for more drive blocking/road grating from our O-line. Becoming more successful on short yardage plays was an issue on the mind of the coaching staff; three draft picks in the 2010 draft attests to this. And those picks could be very useful. If Clady cannot play for part or all of 2010, Beadles may start. Also, JD Walton may start as well if he can beat out Fry in training camp. Overall, I like this group.

The rookies have a ton of upside, we have pro-bowl caliber players in Clady, Harris, and Kuper, and we have good depth with Hochstien, Batiste, and Barton. I think the line is still a year away from being an elite unit, but in year two of a rebuilding program the Broncs are on track.

Questions:

--Does Clady come back for 2010? If so, when? Should he come back? If Denver is still a year away from making a legitimate run at a championship, (and is that a true statement,) should Clady just recuperate for a year to be 100% when 2011 rolls around?

--Is Ryan harris healthy?

--How many rooks get playing time this year? Does JD Walton start? Is it a bad thing if he does?

--Does Polumbus, Hochstien or Batiste crack the starting lineup?

--Will the new system be more effective than the ZBS of the past? If not, is that OK if the passing game picks up more of the slack in total productivity? Also, will the new system be more effective in short yardage situations?

--Assuming that everyone is healthy, does this unit have the ability to protect Orton/Quinn/Our lord and saviour Tim Tebow? What if Beadles/Polumbus/Batiste has to play due to injury?

--Anyone know anything about the unknowns in camp? Are tey TC fodder, or do they have a chance to make the squad and contribute?

OK, training camp is coming soon. i will be very interested to see how the rookies fare, and which vets are on their A game.

Discuss, by Foneco, discuss!

Last edited by JCMElway; 07-18-2010 at 09:48 PM..
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

It hadn't even occured to me that Clady would be out for the season.

If he is, we'll struggle to win more than 4-5 games for the season - YES I think he makes that much of a difference. If Harris is out as well, it could get very very ugly.

Like everyone that will post after me, I am excited about the potential of our rookies and younger O-line players. I think that a middle 3 of Beadles, Walton and Kuper could be very good bordering on great for many years to come.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:51 PM   #3
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Olsen isn't a Shanny hold over
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

We have a huge question mark at C. It will be interesting to see how that plays out. as well as how they cover for Clady, and possibly Harris.
broncosteven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:59 PM   #5
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Clady being out all season isn't an option. Dude needs to come back.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:07 PM   #6
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Clady may or may not be ready for at least 4-5 games into the season. Let's hope he comes back when he's absolutely ready to play.
His presence or lack thereof will be impacted by who our starting QB will be.
If it's Orton, we may see some negative impact from the QB play perspective.

Overall, I think the Ol is much better than last year. At least on paper it seems to be more complete and with the right personnel McD wants to run the PBS.
Also, I like the prospects we have at center and LG.
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:24 PM   #7
Broncos24
Solid Starter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Seth Olsen was drafted last year in the fourth round.
Broncos24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:41 PM   #8
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

I'm very interested to see how the interior shakes out. I'm a little bit hesitant with the prospect of Beadles starting at LG and Walton at C (to clarify my stance, I'm not questioning the actual prospects in and of themselves, they are good picks I believe, I'm just wary of the initial problems they are likely to face as rookie starters if it gets to the point that they are penciled in for opening day). Hopefully, both of those guys will be as prepared as possible...people just have to be patient with the OL in the beginning because it may not be pretty at all. It's got the potential to be awesome when some of these guys have some experience and the outstanding bookends are healthy. Kuper at RG right now is the only truly rock solid spot with zero questions at all. I'm hoping Harris's back doesn't act up again, because he was playing at an extremely high level before that. I suspect Clady will probably miss a few games, but I'd be shocked if it were really a season ending deal. Perhaps a month is more realistic, as he'd have to get back in game shape even if he were healthy by August.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:05 PM   #9
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
We have a huge question mark at C.
Watch it, bub ... don't mess with my man.

Can't evaluate anything really. Until we know Clady and Harris's status, it's just shootin' in the dark. Guess one will be ready, the other won't, and if it's Harrris he can slide over to LT if necessary, that leaves Polumbus and Beadles to choose from? Ugh ........

I'm thinking the interior will be okay. Young, but workable. Walton at center, and Olsen, Beadles or Hochstein at guard. Can't see Fry helping, we're his 4th team in three years.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:10 PM   #10
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

SoCal,

Foot issues sidelined Harris last season, not back.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:11 PM   #11
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

I know ... Let's trade for Montrae Holland!
Old 07-18-2010, 09:17 PM   #12
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
SoCal,

Foot issues sidelined Harris last season, not back.
I know, but the back issue has been something that has been recurrent in his career a few times now.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:17 PM   #13
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

The Hotel, tackle Flozell Adams, made brief trips to Denver and Pittsburgh this offseason to display his wares. But he remains very available, his agent would like to remind you.

Jason La Canfora of NFL Network reports Adams continues to look for "the best fit." (And by "best fit" he means "most money.") A signing with Pittsburgh doesn't appear imminent -- it's uncertain if the Steelers are willing to meet Adams' price. It sounds like the left tackle remains happy to see if there are any more injuries in training camp that could spark a bidding war.

If Adams doesn't choose the Steelers, La Canfora writes that Pittsburgh plans to change around their whole offensive line. Max Starks could move from left tackle to right tackle, and Trai Essex would move from right guard to left tackle. (That leaves right guard open, for the reading impaired.)

We're curious if the Steelers fans out there think Flozell is worth the money and if Essex on the left side scares the crap out you.

-PFT

I wonder what Adams is looking for?

If Clady really is going to miss that much time, we should consider something like this.
Lining up a stiff at LT all season is a recipe for disaster.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:33 PM   #14
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Flozell makes no sense unless Clady will miss more than half the season. Can he even play RT? If not, he's a expensive backup when Clady does return.

There has to be a better way, there must be somebody else out there.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:38 PM   #15
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos24 View Post
Seth Olsen was drafted last year in the fourth round.
noted
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:27 PM   #16
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

#1 - there is no timetable for Clady. I think the staff will do their best to rehab him but he will come back only when he's ready to be effective. If that's mid season, late season or next season, so be it.

#2 - Center position really killed the short yardage drive blocking last season. We've got more beef up front in Walton but he's a rook. I suspect he will make his rook mistakes here and there but I think short yardage and goal line we'll look better with the added beef.

#3 - Harris has to really shine this year. He's had some good time off and hopefully he's hit the training room hard and will be an allpro RG for us this year. He's got the talent to do it.

#4 - Run right. With Clady out, I think the right side is going to be our strength early, with Walton, Kuper and Harris on that side.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:34 PM   #17
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
The Hotel, tackle Flozell Adams, made brief trips to Denver and Pittsburgh this offseason to display his wares. But he remains very available, his agent would like to remind you.

Jason La Canfora of NFL Network reports Adams continues to look for "the best fit." (And by "best fit" he means "most money.") A signing with Pittsburgh doesn't appear imminent -- it's uncertain if the Steelers are willing to meet Adams' price. It sounds like the left tackle remains happy to see if there are any more injuries in training camp that could spark a bidding war.

If Adams doesn't choose the Steelers, La Canfora writes that Pittsburgh plans to change around their whole offensive line. Max Starks could move from left tackle to right tackle, and Trai Essex would move from right guard to left tackle. (That leaves right guard open, for the reading impaired.)

We're curious if the Steelers fans out there think Flozell is worth the money and if Essex on the left side scares the crap out you.

-PFT

If Clady really is going to miss that much time, we should consider something like this.
Lining up a stiff at LT all season is a recipe for disaster.
Flozell would like a fat 2 or 3 year deal, but will probably end up settling for a 1 year deal in the $4 to $5 million dollar range.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:00 AM   #18
meangene
Ring of Famer

Michael Lombardi said on NFLN a week or so ago that all signs point to Clady being active week 1. FWIW.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:15 AM   #19
dbfan21
Floridian living in KS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangene View Post
Michael Lombardi said on NFLN a week or so ago that all signs point to Clady being active week 1. FWIW.
I hope he's right. Clady is vital to our offensive gameplan!
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:32 AM   #20
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
The first 2 weeks of training camp to be over.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:42 AM   #21
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfan21 View Post
I hope he's right. Clady is vital to our offensive gameplan!
Yes he is! If he is out more than a couple weeks, it would be devastating. Lombardi typically has reliable information, so keeping the fingers crossed.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:42 AM   #22
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

This OL is going to be very different from last year. The single best predictive factor on the OL is playing together in NFL games for a long time. Therefore, this OL is going to have to get a lot of reps in TC and Preseason. And then, we should look at what they will be able to do.

I still remember this board freaking out when Lepsis was getting abused moving from RT to LT in preseason. I seem to remember that regular season move being much better than people thought it would be
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:10 AM   #23
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

The OL's ability to start the season as a cohesive, effective unit is a big ? to me right now. If they do it will be a testament to the player's intelligence, teamwork, and work ethic and also a testament to the O coaching staff - and other O players to some degree.

It's hard to say accurately right now of course, but I imagine that in the preseason games the OL will sometimes look pretty uncoordinated. The QB's better be prepared to throw the ball away, I'm thinking, wisdom being the better part of valor as they say. Preseason games can get pretty blitz-happy, and there just hasn't been a lot of time for the OL to work together.

As people have said, we'll have to be patient and not rag on them too much if it looks a little ugly at first.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:18 AM   #24
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
As people have said, we'll have to be patient and not rag on them too much if it looks a little ugly at first.
Good luck with that.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:11 AM   #25
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Good luck with that.
There's no doubt in my mind that some early OL troubles will result in an exponential reaction on the Mane.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote