The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2010, 09:24 AM   #1
HorseHead
Ring of Famer

Stay thirsty my friends..

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bay Bay
Default Rush: "Beyond the Lighted Stage"

I recently saw this movie/documentary about the band. I have to admit, I have always been a fan. I wouldn't say "super fan", but a fan.

I highly recommend this if you can catch it or rent it. I saw it on VH1.

It was fascinating. Great quotes and cameos from people and artists that would surprise you as Rush fans. Including Matt Stone (Bronco connection)...

There are no Zeppelin/groupie/shark incident stories, or "Brown M&M's" stories a la Van Halen. No Rolling Stones tales of debauchery. Just an intelligent portrayal of this very cool band. My interest has come around again. They are touring right now, including playing "Moving Pictures" in it's entirety.

Extremely interesting..including how they dealt with Neal Peart's loss of his Wife and Daughter just months apart...I would tell you more, but I'm going to get my copy of 2120 and crank it...stay thirsty my friends...
HorseHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
Flex Gunmetal
Icy Fresh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Francis Daytona

Not to **** on your thread, but I cannot stand their music at all. There are so many people completely in love with them and frankly it confuses me. They sound so corny and lame, and I like a lot of classic rock. But music is completely subjective so this post is pretty irrelevant. When I was growing up I always wondered who the chick who sang that tom sawyer song was.

Again, sorry to rant.
Flex Gunmetal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:34 AM   #3
HorseHead
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bay Bay

No worries "Flex", just killing time on the company dime...

I was interested beyond the musical standpoint..

And yes, Geddy will never be confused with Sinatra...but as musicians, they are sick talented...
Old 07-15-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

I heard one of their new songs and I didn't know it was a new song because it sounded like an old Rush song, that is, way heavy on blues and power cords, I was thinking to myself as I was listening to it "wow, this is a really old Rush song and I have never heard it, wonder how I missed this gem..." and then the XM DJ says "That is the new Rush song entitled...." I was like, cool!
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:08 AM   #5
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Got to see them on opening nite of their current tour in Albuquerque.

[/end brag]
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:23 AM   #6
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hemanuel Sandrs

Quote:
but I'm going to get my copy of 2120 and crank it
unless they've changed it, it's 2112...

i'm not a Rush geek, but have been a well-versed fan for 30 years. i do plan to check this out, as they have always intrigued me as people and as individuals. they're not your typical get drunk, get laid, write about strippers rock band, which usually makes for interesting documentaries.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:24 AM   #7
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hemanuel Sandrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborugger View Post
Got to see them on opening nite of their current tour in Albuquerque.

[/end brag]
ditto. that any major band would play ABQ, let alone commence a tour there is noteworthy.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:30 AM   #8
HorseHead
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bay Bay

Thanks "Assassin"....typo..."2112"...time for some "5 hour Energy"....
Old 07-15-2010, 11:06 AM   #9
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hemanuel Sandrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseHead View Post
Thanks "Assassin"....typo..."2112"...time for some "5 hour Energy"....
Temples of Syrinx should cure what ails ya!
Old 07-15-2010, 11:31 AM   #10
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Saw it ... not a Rush fan, but it was a truly excellent bio. Geddy and Alex pals since junior high, blazing their own visionary trail ever since.

Saw it on Palladia ... awesome, awesome network.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:41 AM   #11
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex Gunmetal View Post
Not to **** on your thread, but I cannot stand their music at all. There are so many people completely in love with them and frankly it confuses me. They sound so corny and lame, and I like a lot of classic rock. But music is completely subjective so this post is pretty irrelevant. When I was growing up I always wondered who the chick who sang that tom sawyer song was.

Again, sorry to rant.
That is why they are considered the best cult band in the world. It is either Love or hate with them.

It took me forever to get used to Lee's voice but Tom Sawyer is one of the greatest songs ever. I have fond memories of the year Moving Pictures came out.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:50 AM   #12
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hemanuel Sandrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Saw it ... not a Rush fan, but it was a truly excellent bio. Geddy and Alex pals since junior high, blazing their own visionary trail ever since.

Saw it on Palladia ... awesome, awesome network.
You should be banned for that spoiler..
Old 07-15-2010, 11:52 AM   #13
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

LETS TAKE BACK THE AFC WEST

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER

Rush is sick, going to see them here in L.A.
broncofan2438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:55 AM   #14
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

They might be coming to Argentina soon. First time ever, and if they do... I'll be there.
BlaK-Argentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:50 PM   #15
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Rush puts on a great show.

Makes me want to crank up some 2112.

"A Passage to Bangkok" is probably my favorite Rush song.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:27 PM   #16
Dutch
The Flying Dutchman

Leatherneck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rubin Carter
Default As a percussionist who grew up in the 80's.....

You could not ignore what Neil Peart was doing in the drum world. When Buddy Rich crowns someone as the "king of drumming" you pay attention, especially when the drummer is writing all the tunes. When Rush went keyboard (discussed in the Documentary) they lost me. Then they came back with the focus of the early works. I had the privilege to ride with Neil in the mountains of North Georgia, Tennessee, and North Carolina a few years back.....right after the loss of "his girls". Special, special time for me. Tough time for him. They remain one of my favorite bands for their lack of pretention, and their musical "chops". Glad that Neil seems to have found peace with it all. He spoke of the gal from Cali with unfettered enthusiasm when we met him, and was very accomodating throughout. I never said a word about being a fan or a percussionist, just didn't seem right at the time. His loss was well publisized, and I just didn't want to intrude with it. For that night around the fire at Two Wheels Only, we were just fellow Moto geeks, and that was just fine with me. He truely is a fine fellow. Humble, funny, and soft spoken. Descent human being, and exceptionally telented. Enjoyed the Doc emensly.
Dutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:27 PM   #17
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

I saw it on VH1 as well and it's really well done.

I'm a Rush fan, although 2112 is probably my least favorite album of theirs and will be the first to admit Geddy Lee's voice sounds like a nasty cross between Daffy Duck and a vaccum cleaner. They just seemed to me to be much more humane and down to earth than the rest of the fantasy lyrics/progressive rock crowd. They also seemed to adapt to the musical changes of the time more adeptly than their brethern (for awhile anayways).

At their highpoint, the sound of those great guitar riffs, loud Rickenbacker bass and full kit drumming was awesome and made up for any lyrical/vocal deficiencies IMHO. I've never seen them live, but would like to.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:44 PM   #18
DivineBronco
Ring of Famer

if you like Cutler you are my enemy

I did some background work on the movie "I love you man" and worked on the scene with Rush.......very nice guys and got to watch them play Limelight 7,987 times in a row for a 10 hour shoot
DivineBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:31 PM   #19
kupesdad
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Musically, lyrically and all the other things they do right lets me forgive the Geddy's voice. My favorite song is "Red Barchetta"... and 2112 is pretty much in my top 20 albums. Although I was unaware of Neil Peart's loss. Having Buddy Rich give the kudos that he did is pretty cool.

I guess Neil wrote a book called "ghost rider" about his grief from losing those two..Kindle here I come

Last edited by kupesdad; 07-15-2010 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: add
kupesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #20
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hemanuel Sandrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
You could not ignore what Neil Peart was doing in the drum world. When Buddy Rich crowns someone as the "king of drumming" you pay attention, especially when the drummer is writing all the tunes. When Rush went keyboard (discussed in the Documentary) they lost me. Then they came back with the focus of the early works. I had the privilege to ride with Neil in the mountains of North Georgia, Tennessee, and North Carolina a few years back.....right after the loss of "his girls". Special, special time for me. Tough time for him. They remain one of my favorite bands for their lack of pretention, and their musical "chops". Glad that Neil seems to have found peace with it all. He spoke of the gal from Cali with unfettered enthusiasm when we met him, and was very accomodating throughout. I never said a word about being a fan or a percussionist, just didn't seem right at the time. His loss was well publisized, and I just didn't want to intrude with it. For that night around the fire at Two Wheels Only, we were just fellow Moto geeks, and that was just fine with me. He truely is a fine fellow. Humble, funny, and soft spoken. Descent human being, and exceptionally telented. Enjoyed the Doc emensly.

I coulda been a star.

Sincerely,

John Rutsey, Pete Best, Greg Rollie, Chuck Mosley, Paul DiAnno, Joey Belladonna, Dave Mustaine, and that Terry dude that was the first REO Speedwagon singer.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:19 PM   #21
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
ditto. that any major band would play ABQ, let alone commence a tour there is noteworthy.
Thought I saw you there.

On to a serious note - that kinda music still plays well in NM and probably always will. Other places I have lived, a station like 94 Rock wouldnt be on the airwaves, much less a dominate station. Its why bands like Rush, Maiden and the likes usually hit Albuquerque.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:31 PM   #22
Dutch
The Flying Dutchman

Leatherneck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rubin Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupesdad View Post
Musically, lyrically and all the other things they do right lets me forgive the Geddy's voice. My favorite song is "Red Barchetta"... and 2112 is pretty much in my top 20 albums. Although I was unaware of Neil Peart's loss. Having Buddy Rich give the kudos that he did is pretty cool.

I guess Neil wrote a book called "ghost rider" about his grief from losing those two..Kindle here I come
He was penning "Ghost Rider" durring the trip we ran into him. Even funnier was we had just seen them at the Tabernacle in Atlanta three days before. Pretty cool timing all round.
Dutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:54 PM   #23
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
I coulda been a star.

Sincerely,

John Rutsey, Pete Best, Greg Rollie, Chuck Mosley, Paul DiAnno, Joey Belladonna, Dave Mustaine, and that Terry dude that was the first REO Speedwagon singer.
Good list, but Gregg Rolie doesn't really belong there ... he held on to some founding ownership shares of Journey after leaving. Probably still gets a few cents every time the radio plays Black Magic Woman and Evil Ways too.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:15 PM   #24
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Good list, but Gregg Rolie doesn't really belong there ... he held on to some founding ownership shares of Journey after leaving. Probably still gets a few cents every time the radio plays Black Magic Woman and Evil Ways too.
and probably a cent or two everytime Woodstock shows up on TV
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:43 PM   #25
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hemanuel Sandrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborugger View Post
Thought I saw you there.

On to a serious note - that kinda music still plays well in NM and probably always will. Other places I have lived, a station like 94 Rock wouldnt be on the airwaves, much less a dominate station. Its why bands like Rush, Maiden and the likes usually hit Albuquerque.
Indeed. People from surrounding areas like Espanola, Santa Fe, Gallup, Grants, and even Farmington descend on ABQ for hard rock/metal shows as well as country shows.

When I need my fix of Billy Thorpe, Aldo Nova, Kim Wilde, Red Rider, as well as those you mentioned, I look no further than 94 Rock.