The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2010, 10:48 PM   #1
JimmyFocus
Solid Starter
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 194
Default Nuggets sign Al Harrington

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5378520

5yr/34 million
JimmyFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2010, 10:54 PM   #2
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"
 
watermock's Avatar
 
"Hug me!"

Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hot Springs, Ouachitah
Posts: 76,813
Default

This is bigger than Tebow!!
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:08 AM   #3
extralife
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,031
Default

awful, desperation move.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:47 AM   #4
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,851
Default

Not a bad player but just not sure nuggies doing enough to ever get over the hump. Nothing that makes Melo want to stay.

Seems like nuggies will lose him eventually. Sort of sucks I would like to see them keep challenging the lakers.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:15 AM   #5
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox
 
RhymesayersDU's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Back In The 303!
Posts: 14,992

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson
Default

Unsure how I feel. We need more scoring in the front court, so I like having a PF who can go for 17/night which Harrington did last year. Nobody upfront can score consistently for us. Not Kenyon, not Nene, and definitely not Birdman. We needed front court help badly. If Kenyon/Birdman can get healthy, the rotation of Harrington/Nene/KMart/Birdman might not be too bad. Plus Harrington is only 30, so IMO if the moves pans out, the Nuggies should get some good years out of him. We shall see.

Is Harrington the answer? I doubt it. But it may actually be a step in the right direction. He signed for the mid-level, which is a manageable contract, plus next year Kenyon Martin's hideous contract finally comes off the books. I haven't seen the FA list, but hopefully that can turn into something good, a true #2, whatever.

Cautiously optimistic.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:20 AM   #6
Rabb
No Luca, No!
 
Rabb's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,554

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Not a bad player but just not sure nuggies doing enough to ever get over the hump. Nothing that makes Melo want to stay.

Seems like nuggies will lose him eventually. Sort of sucks I would like to see them keep challenging the lakers.
yep, that ship is starting to sail I am afraid

problem is, now there is not much left in the market, Harrington was about the best that was left

either Melo is a loyal SOB, or we are going to be some sad pandas in 2011
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:29 AM   #7
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator
 
Man-Goblin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 5,975

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
awful, desperation move.
Hardly.

It's not a world beating move; certainly not on the level of acquiring Al Jefferson for nothing from that doofus in Minnesota (**** you, Utah).

But Harrington is a good offensive player and not a bad defensive player. Wish he rebounded more, though.

And he's pretty good friends with Melo, from what I hear. So to say it does nothing to make him want to stay isn't true. The Nuggets are a better team because of this, but unfortunately the MLE is gone for the next two years.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:34 AM   #8
spdirty
Ring of Famer
 
spdirty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bailey
Posts: 14,650

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer
Default

If we could get Scola and Harrington then Id be happy. But just this is...OK, I guess.

Problem is, a year ago when they had the flexibility with the trade excemptions they did nothing. And now they are scrambling to get anything they can but they have absolutely no cap flexibility and they're just ****ed. Till next year, or unless they can find a trade partner for Martin.

spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:02 AM   #9
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus
 
UberBroncoMan's Avatar
 
Wut

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,999

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig
Default

Shoulda gone for a real big man like Amare or Bosh. Would have traded Kenyon Martin in a sign and trade.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:16 AM   #10
_Oro_
Formerly known as Casson
 
_Oro_'s Avatar
 
Don't run that sh*t this way.

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Posts: 1,194

Adopt-a-Bronco:
- R. Ayers
Default

Just excited to get Kenyon's contract off the books. That deal has screwed the nuggets for so many years.
_Oro_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:36 AM   #11
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer
 
azbroncfan's Avatar
 
Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Scottsdale
Posts: 8,645

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
Unsure how I feel. We need more scoring in the front court, so I like having a PF who can go for 17/night which Harrington did last year. Nobody upfront can score consistently for us. Not Kenyon, not Nene, and definitely not Birdman. We needed front court help badly. If Kenyon/Birdman can get healthy, the rotation of Harrington/Nene/KMart/Birdman might not be too bad. Plus Harrington is only 30, so IMO if the moves pans out, the Nuggies should get some good years out of him. We shall see.

Is Harrington the answer? I doubt it. But it may actually be a step in the right direction. He signed for the mid-level, which is a manageable contract, plus next year Kenyon Martin's hideous contract finally comes off the books. I haven't seen the FA list, but hopefully that can turn into something good, a true #2, whatever.

Cautiously optimistic.
I am just glad the Jazz got Jefferson over Harrington. It was looking like Harrington then the Jefferson deal fell into place. He is an upgrade over Boozer so I am happy about that.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:46 AM   #12
montrose
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 6,077

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default

Not sure about this move, as sad as this sounds, at this point I think every move the Nugz make impacts Melo's decision to stay or go. I wonder what he's thinking right now.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:02 AM   #13
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!
 
Ray Finkle's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 7,536
Default

He stinks....he was a turd with the Knicks....
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:47 AM   #14
Homer Simpson
╭∩╮⎝⋋⏝⋌⎠╭∩╮
 
Homer Simpson's Avatar
 
...speak up, I'm wearing a toga

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Springfield
Posts: 765

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Fone Bone
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRabb View Post
yep, that ship is starting to sail I am afraid

problem is, now there is not much left in the market, Harrington was about the best that was left

either Melo is a loyal SOB, or we are going to be some sad pandas in 2011
I feel the Nuggs reached their peak in the last two years, Karl's cancer signified the end of the Nuggs being as dominant as they were going to be. I can't see 'Melo staying.

We always have at least one franchise doing pretty well though, and as the Nuggets slide into mediocrity I can see the Broncos start to dominate with Tebow... ok, I'm being optimistic as I can here.
Homer Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:56 AM   #15
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox
 
RhymesayersDU's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Back In The 303!
Posts: 14,992

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbroncfan View Post
I am just glad the Jazz got Jefferson over Harrington. It was looking like Harrington then the Jefferson deal fell into place. He is an upgrade over Boozer so I am happy about that.
Definitely. Al Jeff is real good. That was a great move by your team.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:23 AM   #16
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer
 
azbroncfan's Avatar
 
Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Scottsdale
Posts: 8,645

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
Definitely. Al Jeff is real good. That was a great move by your team.
Yeah I was laughing at all the reports about how Boozer was going to make Chicago's inside game real tough when in reality he is slasher once in awhile and mostly a jump shooter. Big Al is what we needed. Booze only played in the post 22 percent of the time and Big Al's is over 56 percent of the time. Plus he won't be rendered useless against Duncan or Gasol/Bynum.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:35 AM   #17
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox
 
RhymesayersDU's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Back In The 303!
Posts: 14,992

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
Shoulda gone for a real big man like Amare or Bosh. Would have traded Kenyon Martin in a sign and trade.
Except nobody would have taken that contract for an injured player. I mean if a trade was available they should have done it I agree. But I highly doubt anybody wants him.

Maybe they unload his expiring deal at the deadline. Maybe.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:42 AM   #18
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!
 
Ray Finkle's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 7,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRabb View Post
yep, that ship is starting to sail I am afraid

problem is, now there is not much left in the market, Harrington was about the best that was left

either Melo is a loyal SOB, or we are going to be some sad pandas in 2011
the NY rumor is he wants to got to the Knicks but wants to see how they play first with all the new pieces.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:46 AM   #19
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox
 
RhymesayersDU's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Back In The 303!
Posts: 14,992

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson
Default

In other news:

Nuggs sign Anthony Carter and Shelden Williams.

I like Williams since he's 6'9' 250. We need size. He won't play a ton of minutes but its good to have big bodies.

Boyh for league minimum.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:07 AM   #20
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer
 
Hercules Rockefeller's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 16,284

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
the NY rumor is he wants to got to the Knicks but wants to see how they play first with all the new pieces.
And 5 years ago we heard that Melo wanted to play for the Knicks and he'd never sign an extension with the Nuggets.

I'm sure that "rumor" popped up right after LeBron said "South Beach" last week.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:07 AM   #21
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck
 
Chris's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,569

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin
Default

Further confirmation that pro basketball isn't fair and flat out sucks.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:14 AM   #22
crush17
orange & blue
 
crush17's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 5,405

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!
Default

Blow it up, this team's done. Pains me to say it, but wow. Terrible desperation move and guess what? Bird and Martin are OUT for the 1st part of the season. Gonna be sad to see Melo go... damn.
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:16 AM   #23
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!
 
Ray Finkle's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 7,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
And 5 years ago we heard that Melo wanted to play for the Knicks and he'd never sign an extension with the Nuggets.

I'm sure that "rumor" popped up right after LeBron said "South Beach" last week.
that was out before the Lebron issue.....If the Knicks ever become respectable again, they'll pull in the FA's again....I of course stopped watching the Knicks when Ewing was traded....Ewing, Starks, Mason, Oak were the reasons I watched.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:13 AM   #24
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,851
Default

pretty obvious Amare, Chris Paul, And Melo have plans to all be in NY.

Man who will be in west to challenge lakers? Who are the stars in the west? Nash getting old. Kobe even getting old.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:42 AM   #25
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck
 
Chris's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,569

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin
Default

Imagine if every great player decided between the Giants, the Redskins and the Jets. How lame would that be? Very lame.

That is basketball right now.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:58 AM.


Denver Broncos