The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Default Who Will Emerge The Dominant Powerhouse Of The AFC West?

"This year is the Raiders' year," the fans write on boards, articles and web sites. They talk about it at work and debate everyday with fellow AFC West fans over the Raiders' chances.

The Chargers' fans have had the crown for years and have been able to lay it down without much to say from any of the other teams in the division. Of course, year in and year out Denver looks like a contender and seems to flounder in the second half.

KC, out of the AFCW, seems to be the team people should watch. Although they are often written off and disrespected by betting firms and NFL sites.

Eric Berry and Tim Tebow had some great battles in college. Now they will get to battle for years—twice at minimum—and entertain the fans of the Broncos and Chiefs. Tim Tebow will also get to face Rolando McClain, who at Alabama laid a hurting on the former Gator.

The Chiefs have gathered what appears to be the No. 1 running duo in Charles and Jones. Looking to relieve stress from Cassel, the Chiefs appear to have installed a serious contender for the top running team in the NFL.

The only problem is the offensive line. With the addition of Cassel and the progress of Bowe, you would figure the Chiefs would give Cassel time to look downfield. Next year, the Chiefs draft a LT with their first pick, no doubt in my mind.

They had the worst defense in the AFC West, but they had a better offense than Oakland.

Maybe Campbell changes that. Jason Campbell will at least have to be comparable to Kyle Orton, Matt Cassel and Philip Rivers for the Raiders to really compete. I would say he is serviceable like Orton. Cassel still needs to justify his paycheck, and Rivers is a top QB—period.

In fact, Rivers is the best player in the AFC West. His pieces may (or may not) change, but he is a difference maker as a player. He is knocking on the door and sooner or later someone is going to answer.

The Raiders had the 26th ranked defense and upgraded both the offensive and defensive lines. Heyward-Bey may produce this year. Should Campbell and Bey produce, the Raiders are looking at minimum two more wins. Rolando will help to make the rankings more respectable for Oakland.

The Chargers have no reason not to produce. Mathews looks like a very good back.

The AFC West will be the best division in football for running backs: Moreno, Buckhalter, Mathews, Sproles, Charles, Jones, Bush, Mcfadden and Arrington.

The Denver Broncos are my pick. Not just that, though, I honestly see Denver as having the most underrated receiver corps in the AFC West. Don't forget that Denver drafted what many experts seen as two of the top five receivers in this years draft. Add to that Royal, Gaffney, Stokely, Lloyd and Mckinney. Denver has some serious high performers.

They had the best defense in the division last year and only solidified it with a bigger and better line, veterans in the nickel and Parrish Cox who may be the steal of the draft.

Add into the mix the master mind that is Josh McDaniels offensively, and you get some real interesting things going on in Denver.

Tebow this and that wont matter much this year. He will have to see the field no matter what. Denver would feel the heat from the league if the rookie never touched green this season.

Should he work out, Denver will be the AFC West powerhouse by 2013 and may be the NFL's best team period. Tebow can change everything if he works.

If not, Denver at this point has two very serviceable QBs left.

San Diego has been the dominant team for six years.

Denver can't get over the hump.

Raider and Chiefs can't win.

That's all old.

This year is different. Teams in the AFC West are different in more ways now than in the last decade.

The NFL is ever-changing.

This year, I think San Diego finishes 3rd.

The Raiders fourth barely by one game.

The Chiefs second.

Denver will come in first. They will win the AFC West in 2010 and maybe for years to come.

http://app.bronto.com/public/?q=ulin...oD7~puA.5Ip1Tw

oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

link?
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:50 PM   #3
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

there you go
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:12 PM   #4
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

I agree, Denver should win the AFCW. Denver has the best defense and if the running game comes around then I think scoring wont be as much of a problem. Some think Orton is the weak link but I think he's ready to take it to another level.

If the Bronco win the AFCW, McD should absolutely be named coach of the year.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:16 PM   #5
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

wow....i think this is the time of year when expectations start to get a little too high
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:25 PM   #6
Cool Breeze
Ring of Famer

Broncos Rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
wow....i think this is the time of year when expectations start to get a little too high
For everybody!
It's called being a fan.
GO BRONCOS!
Cool Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:33 PM   #7
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

If the chargers slide then the Broncos have as good of a chance as oakland and kc to win the division, if not better. All three teams have serious questions to answer but I like the Bronco's defense and I like that McD is fixing the offensive line. I also like the fact this is year 2 for Orton and company...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:55 PM   #8
crowebomber
Ring of Famer

Old School Sucka Fool

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Frank Tripucka

Despite Marshall's absence, I think the Broncos are a better team going into this season and I think they will improve on 8-8. With San Diego taking a step back (didn't really add anyone, lost Tomlinson and probably V. Jackson and Jamall Williams), I think 10 wins could grab the division. So, I don't think it's a stretch at all that Denver wins the AFC West.
crowebomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #9
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit

They had the best defense in the division last year and only solidified it with a bigger and better line, veterans in the nickel and Parrish Cox who may be the steal of the draft.

[/QUOTE]

Where does he come up with that? I think we might have the best defense in the division this year, with the new defensive linemen, but the last half of last year we were pretty weak.
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:10 PM   #10
Naggle Nole
Team Intern

Soul Brotha

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
The Chiefs have gathered what appears to be the No. 1 running duo in Charles and Jones. Looking to relieve stress from Cassel, the Chiefs appear to have installed a serious contender for the top running team in the NFL.

The only problem is the offensive line. With the addition of Cassel and the progress of Bowe, you would figure the Chiefs would give Cassel time to look downfield. Next year, the Chiefs draft a LT with their first pick, no doubt in my mind.
Is it just me, or do these two statements seem to be completely contradictory?
Hell, the Chefs are one of the most poignant recent examples with the exploits of Larry Johnson minus Roaf and Shields
While I agree that Jones and Charles are a formidable pair, I love how everyone is ready to crown them while ignoring arguably the most important component of a rushing attack
Naggle Nole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:17 PM   #11
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

This is the smartest writer I've read in years. He hits the nail on the head in every respect.

It's sad when media people don't like the Broncos.

Pro Broncos Media = Good
Anti-Broncos Media = Bad (and likely pedophiles)
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:45 PM   #12
Jason7730
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
This is the smartest writer I've read in years. He hits the nail on the head in every respect.

It's sad when media people don't like the Broncos.

Pro Broncos Media = Good
Anti-Broncos Media = Bad (and likely pedophiles)
I concur!!
Jason7730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:10 PM   #13
Ugly Duck
Proof: SD fans DO exist!

RF

I look at how teams finished the previous year to gauge whether they trending up or trending down. Sandy Eggo swept all games in the second half of the season. Denver had the worst record in the division in the 2nd half (worse than KC, worse than Oakland). No way would I pick Denver over SD.
Ugly Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:19 PM   #14
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncogary View Post
Where does he come up with that? I think we might have the best defense in the division this year, with the new defensive linemen, but the last half of last year we were pretty weak.
yeah, but I doubt he looked at it that way...same as everyone else

we finished overall with good stats
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:12 PM   #15
Lev Vyvanse
Ring of Famer

Notice how the closer you get to the bottom, the more it reads like a bizarro-world mock post?

Last edited by Lev Vyvanse; 07-13-2010 at 09:15 PM..
Lev Vyvanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:08 PM   #16
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

This is the time of the year for optimism...
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:26 PM   #17
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lev Vyvanse View Post
Notice how the closer you get to the bottom, the more it reads like a bizarro-world mock post?

[IMG][/IMG]

How Amusing.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:31 PM   #18
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

For God's sake, look at those pictures around his frameset.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:15 PM   #19
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The Broncos won't sniff the division title. Tell me, oh optimistic ones, who, among the murderers row of Indy, at Tennessee, at Baltimore and home with the Jets do you think the Broncos will beat in late September and early to mid October? The Broncos will also lose at San Diego on a Monday night in November, at Arizona, although that one is up for grabs, to Houston at home the day after Christmas and probably to San Diego in Denver January 2nd, unless the Chargers already have the division wrapped up and they rest key starters. We have an ok QB, a bunch of talented rookies, a banged up LT and a crew of oldies but goodies on defense. 8 & 8 at best.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:41 PM   #20
JJJ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Defense-wise it could well be argued that SD had a better D than Denver. We gave up less points. There was no question in the second half of the season who had the better defense.

Still I think Denver is improving and SD may be slipping a bit so that last game of the season between the two will likely be relevant this year.

After two epic collapses in two straight seasons the Broncos may have enough to see the finish line, but without Marshall I doubt they have enough to get over it.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:56 AM   #21
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

We will see. Crazier things have happened then the Broncos winning the AFC West.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:07 AM   #22
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango View Post
The Broncos won't sniff the division title. Tell me, oh optimistic ones, who, among the murderers row of Indy, at Tennessee, at Baltimore and home with the Jets do you think the Broncos will beat in late September and early to mid October? The Broncos will also lose at San Diego on a Monday night in November, at Arizona, although that one is up for grabs, to Houston at home the day after Christmas and probably to San Diego in Denver January 2nd, unless the Chargers already have the division wrapped up and they rest key starters. We have an ok QB, a bunch of talented rookies, a banged up LT and a crew of oldies but goodies on defense. 8 & 8 at best.
that's the spirit!
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:30 AM   #23
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

We could win it but more than likely it'll be the chargers again. I think were 1 or 2 seasons away from becoming a really good team. Of course I won't be upset if I'm wrong and it happens this year.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:54 AM   #24
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRabb View Post
that's the spirit!
Ya don't ya love it when fans start out the season expecting to be losers. Especally when it looks like we have the makings of a good team.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:15 AM   #25
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Ya don't ya love it when fans start out the season expecting to be losers. Especally when it looks like we have the makings of a good team.
That is what happens when McDaniels is your coach and you replace pro bowlers with rookies/Orton.

I will say that I don't get how anyone has any expectations at this point. We have way to many factors that no one can possible know if they will work out or not. We will likely have rookies starting at multiple offensive positions. We have multiple guys with injuries already. We have a defense that was pretty horrible by the end of last season, and we have a full new d-line that we haven't seen play together. We probably will be starting Orton until McDaniels feels Tebow is ready and there is a chance Tebow sees the field this year.

I really don't get how you can expect them to be good or bad with so much change and so many unknowns.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote