The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > Maniac Community Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2010, 01:42 AM   #1
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default Losing my mom

Mods...if you wouldn't mind sticky'n this please I'd appreciate it.

Sports, when you get right down to it...isn't that important is it?

Yesterday, July 8th...I lost my mom to Ovarian Cancer after a grueling 9 month fight she finally lost. She refused the surgery which "might" have saved her, but more probably would have killed her on the operating table at her age so she could live in her own home instead of a hospital. I was prepared as much as possible a month ago when I allowed myself to grieve, and because I know beyond a doubt where she is now, I'm actually handling this pretty well, but my sister and dad are not. Brenda has been bursting into tears with regularity, while my dad...ex military guy...an emotionally stoic man who I've seen shed a tear only twice in his life...has also been doing so.

I know some of you can relate and maybe you wouldn't mind saying a prayer for them or offering a word for me.

A little about her...

My mother was the strongest, most amazing woman I've ever known. For half a century she faithfully fulfilled her role as the glue that kept our family together through every kind of trial and tribulation. Mom was fiercely independent and refused to leave her home with my dad even at age 88 until the last 4 days of her life even while she had dementia and started forgetting so much. She fought for life like a warrior all the way till the very end. With my sister living in Washington and me in Texas, she kept her condition secret from us until only a month ago when my dad could no longer care for her...this is a man who still mows his own lawn and shovels snow at age 87, but this was to much for him. It would have been to much for anyone...she needed round the clock care and skilled nursing.

I was blessed to be prayng with her as she slipped away yesterday morning at 9:35 am in a hospice here in Denver...something I'll always have with me now...a moment I think I will cling to for the rest of my own life.

She was born into abject rural poverty in a small town called Sydney Nebraska in 1921, and lived through the Great Depression, later telling us the stories...how one could buy 4 loaves of bread for a quarter...if only one had a quarter...of lines of men standing for hours for a couple of potatoes, how she worked her first job and earned a single dollar for an entire week's work.

But mom never let adversity stand in her way. She and her mother and younger sister were abandoned by her father at age 2, so mom helped her own mother throughout her life, first working long hours on a tiny farm milking cows at age 6, and later working and going to school at the same time, taking in laundry and cooking for boarders who rented a room in their home, that sort of thing...until she finally married at age 37, long after most women in that era had done so. Much later in the 70's when my grandmother's health failed from Alzheimers, she nursed her for 3 years in our home as she died. I never heard a complaint come out of her mouth.

My mom was a gorgeous woman with classical movie star looks when she was young. She'd was also a true scholar athlete in high school, earning Validictorian honors at Boulder HS while starting at forward on her girls basketball team. Becasue she'd been at Boulder only a year she was denied the scholarship however and never got to attend college, which was her dream...something she regretted all her life. I think it made her prouder to see her kids earn degrees though. She was always there for us...always.

She was an incredible cook as well, with literally thousands of homeade recipes she wrote out in long hand or typed on an old beat up typewriter and they filled an entire bookcase with binders she stored them in. As a kid one of my best childhood memories was coming home from football practice in the cold Colorado air and often being met by the smell of homeade bread baking in her kitchen. She cooked home cooked meals almost every night of my life growing up...there was literally nothing she couldn't make, often seemingly from thin air. She also knew the value of a dollar and even in our middle class family she never wasted a dime. We used to laugh about her driving 5 miles out of her way to save a nickle on a gallon of milk with a coupon or the hated garage sales she always tried to drag me to on one of her eternal searches for bargains.

My dad was not an easy man to live with by any standard...she did so with grace and incredible perseverance even as he often failed to return to her the love she gave him. Throughout her life she insilled in us kids the values we still have today...those she took from the pages of an old Bible with a dogeared cover that was marked almost to the point of being illegible in places. In her church she taught 4th grade girls sunday school classes for 25 years. If she ever missed a week I don't remember it. Everything good in me...it came from her.

I will miss her more than I imagine I'm sure of that, but I know it wasn't goodbye, but rather only goodnight. I love you mom...you were the greatest ever, and I've been incredibly blessed to be your son.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2010, 01:46 AM   #2
Ugly Duck
Proof: SD fans DO exist!

RF

Yo, FootStep.... I lost a mate to ovarian cancer & it was a real heart breaker. Made me sad all over again just to read your story. Nothing for me to say but I'm sorry for your entire posse... its serious hurting time.
Ugly Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:51 AM   #3
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Hang in there Footsteps. Losing your mother has to be the hardest thing you go through next to losing your spouse. Like you said she is on a new journey and one that eventually you will get to join her on long down the road.

A great man once said, "Tough times never last, but tough people do"

Last edited by theAPAOps5; 07-09-2010 at 01:57 AM..
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:55 AM   #4
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Requiescat in pace

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:56 AM   #5
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Very sorry to hear of your loss, Footsteps... and prayers for you and your family.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:53 AM   #6
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Sorry to hear about your loss, Footsteps.

Thanks for sharing the memories of your mother with us.

Sounds like your mother was a wonderful person who lived 88 full years and cared for her family for every one of them.

People need to cherish every moment they get to spend with their family....your parents won't be around forever....savor every day you get to spend with them.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:49 AM   #7
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Sorry footsteps. No one will love you like your mother does. I still miss mine everyday. Here is to yours. God Bless.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:51 AM   #8
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Requiescat in pace

New one this Nov Ezio
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:15 AM   #9
rodr88
Mopigeon 10/4/88-10/3/07

Footsteps,
I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. Cancer sucks, no other way to put it. Like most of us I've lost too many good people in my life to that disease.
You and your family are in our prayers.
Rod
rodr88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:24 AM   #10
crawdad
IL Oldest Bronco Maniac

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bay Bay

I was touched in reading your post. My mother is suffering from dimentia/alzheimers now and cannot live at home. Bless you my brother. Your mother smiles down on you!
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:51 AM   #11
bronclvr
Ring of Famer

She is faster than you! 8.39 @ 156

footsteps,

Your post was truly touching. You were right-it's not goodbye, it's a brief parting, you'll see her again. My Mom was like your Mom, and touched every one she met-women are the life blood and soul of this world.

As for you, the memories, and who you are can never be taken away-the strength, morals and values she had is in you-I'm so sorry for your loss-My Mom's been gone 29 Years now, and not a day goes by that I don't cherish the memories-
bronclvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:03 AM   #12
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

I'm sorry for your loss, my prayers for you and your family.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:05 AM   #13
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Very sorry to hear of this, my condolences to you and yours. May your memories give you strength during this time.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:56 AM   #14
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Sorry to hear this footsteps. Hang in there buddy my condolences and prayers will be thinking of you.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:02 AM   #15
Broncos123
Perennial Pro-bowler

Very Sorry, your mom sounds like a Great Lady. You have been lucky to have been raised by her. May time lessen your pain for you and your family especially your Dad and sister.
Broncos123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:04 AM   #16
Dudeskey
Ring of Famer

This space for rent

sorry for your loss, man. I can only imagine what you & your family are going through.
Dudeskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:16 AM   #17
Cleo McDowell
underrated.

Sorry for your loss. My deepest condolences...
Cleo McDowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:24 AM   #18
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Stay strong.
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:35 AM   #19
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

I'm very sorry to hear this Footsteps, losing anyone close to you is hard.

My mother isn't in good health as well and it sucks she doesn't care either.

Thoughts and prayers to you and your mother.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:38 AM   #20
Dukes
Ring of Famer

Sorry for your loss Footsteps. Hang in there man.
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:50 AM   #21
Captain 'Dre
Along For The Ride

For THIS I Went To Grad School?!?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

You only ever have ONE Mom, and you were blessed to have one you loved and respected so greatly.

Condolences on your loss, man.
Captain 'Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:15 AM   #22
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

I got a lump in my throat after reading that post. I can't imagine what you are feeling, right now. Fortunately, I still have both of my parents. However, I know that day will come. I hope I'm as strong as you, Footsteps.
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:30 AM   #23
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

Very inspirational Footsteps. Sometimes I feel I take my parents for granted. I wish you and your family best in healing over such a loss.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:36 AM   #24
bronco610
OLD FART

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Very well written footsteps. Prayers to you and your family.
bronco610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:50 AM   #25
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

How wonderful the memories you have and how lucky you are to have had her. Yes it's only for a moment your separation and imagine her joy and the reunion she's having. My prayers for your dad, sounds like he wasn't overtly emotional and this reality has struck him to the core. Let him grieve. My prayers to keep you all strong.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote