The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2014, 01:11 PM   #501
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
I think we are all missing the real lesson from this thread: Rabb sleeps with a Chiefs fan. BAN HAMMER!
She wouldn't speak to me after the Indy playoff game. Was worth the eventual denial.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:13 PM   #502
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilin Assassin View Post
That rep asked why I was curious (while he 'looked up my info") and I just said it's always good to know. He was curious if I was looking at other providers, to which I said no, but really only had Directv for the NFL package, and w/out that I'd probably atleast compare.

All said and done: Had to re-up for 12 months, $30 off bill during that period, Free Sunday Ticket with Max this season. Offered a free Genie upgrade which I'll probably call back for (adds another 12 months) but going to try for free Ticket next season to do so.

Was perfect deal for me, as I didn't want to cancel, and have no issues w/DirecTV. I just wasn't going to pay that insane price.

Hope this helps.
At the end of the day - you still got what you wanted...but why in the world would you say no to this question when you're trying to deal
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:01 PM   #503
Smilin Assassin
Tradition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
At the end of the day - you still got what you wanted...but why in the world would you say no to this question when you're trying to deal
well didn't really say no....just said I was going to compare, but didn't give him the reason I wanted to expiration date.

But yeah, got what I wanted. Great customer service at Directv.
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:15 PM   #504
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

I've been with DTV since 09. I wouldn't go as far as canceling because they charged me full price for Sunday Ticket though. Probably because I know they auto re-new. I did call and ask to cancel last year and they still charged me so was slightly irritated by that. They refunded me and all was good. Only issue I've ever had with them was when I moved out of my apartment. I had the Dish sitting on the patio with one of those stands they provide. I was never charged for it so I thought they were free. Not the case. I found out when I moved into my house they charge like $100 for those things. I would have kept the one from my apartment had I known that. Was pretty pissed about it.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:00 PM   #505
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilin Assassin View Post
well didn't really say no....just said I was going to compare, but didn't give him the reason I wanted to expiration date.

But yeah, got what I wanted. Great customer service at Directv.
One small side note regarding customer service -- there's a possibility that some things may change with the merger of DirecTv and AT&T. Because of that, I personally don't want to do anything whatsoever that would lock our account into a contract with them at this time. It's nice to have the freedom to close our account if we want to.

I don't think there's a customer on Earth that wouldn't be pretty darn annoyed if they'd been on the phone for nearly 20 minutes and customer service hung up on them instead of transferring their call.

Also, $330 is an exorbitant price for the Sunday Ticket. I wouldn't pay that much even if I had been planning on renewing it.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:02 PM   #506
CSU Husker
Seasoned Veteran

First try got $25 off per month and free Sunday Ticket. Score!!!
CSU Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:17 PM   #507
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Just got off the phone with directv.. been with them 1 year, had the ticket free last year. Called and talked to regular people, got them to transfer me to retention. Told them i was going to cancel, they offered me the package for 6 payments of $31 and a free upgrade to max (so about 180). And then $15 off for 15 months. Said no. Then they offered the ticket for free but no max. Well, most of the bronco games are available here regionally anyway, so without the red zone channel i really don't want it. Said no, she said that that was the best she could do and i said i would have to think about it. She said that if i called back she couldn't guarantee that someone else would give the same deal.

If i call back and that's still the best they can do i may take it. She said i could upgrade to max for 5 payments of 18 dollars. So in essence i would get everything for about 90 bucks, but no gift cards, no monthly deductions.

In fact, the original offer was better than the last offer in total money but it would take time to see the actual results (15 months).

I'll give an update when i call back.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:24 AM   #508
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Been with DirecTv for 11 years, since 2003.

I haven't asked for ANYTHING in 2 years.

So I call, and I get some jamoke on the line. I say, by doing things ala carte (I have FiOS for phone and internet) that it's just not worth the money, when I can bundle all 3 services with FiOS for $129/month for 24 months.

He says, "Well, we bundle with Verizon, and you can get a $10/month credit by doing that."

I paused.....and I said, "Well, all in, I'm paying over $200/month for all 3 service between DirecTv and Verizon right now, so a $10 credit per month for 12 months doesn't do much for me, does it? I have to think about what I want to do and if it even makes sense to stick with DirecTv anymore......"

He then says, "Well, I can knock $10 more dollars off Sunday Ticket for you."

I paused again, and said, "Really? Is that all you can do?"

"Yes."

I said, "I'll be calling in a few days to cancel, after I set up my FiOS television."

He says, "Ok. Is there anything else I can help you with today?"

?!?!?!?!?!?!

I'll try one more time tomorrow, and try to get someone with a clue......
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:35 AM   #509
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post

So I call, and I get some jamoke on the line. I say, by doing things ala carte (I have FiOS for phone and internet) that it's just not worth the money, when I can bundle all 3 services with FiOS for $129/month for 24 months.

He says, "Well, we bundle with Verizon, and you can get a $10/month credit by doing that."

I paused.....and I said, "Well, all in, I'm paying over $200/month for all 3 service between DirecTv and Verizon right now, so a $10 credit per month for 12 months doesn't do much for me, does it? I have to think about what I want to do and if it even makes sense to stick with DirecTv anymore......"

"Yes."

I said, "I'll be calling in a few days to cancel, after I set up my FiOS television."

?!?!?!?!?!?!

Customer retention first.
Wes Mantooth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:36 AM   #510
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:

"Yes."

?!?!?!?!?!?!

You need to ask to cancel. Like say "Hi I'd like to cancel my service." Then reject every offer that first person you speak to offers you. Then when they send you to their loyalty department, special customer care or whatever they call it, they will give the farm away to keep you. All three services will bend over backwards to save you. But you have to threaten to go nuclear and not blink. If you say "in three days I will call back to cancel" they won't do anything.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:39 AM   #511
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
You need to ask to cancel. Like say "Hi I'd like to cancel my service." Then reject every offer that first person you speak to offers you. Then when they send you to their loyalty department, special customer care or whatever they call it, they will give the farm away to keep you. All three services will bend over backwards to save you. But you have to threaten to go nuclear and not blink. If you say "in three days I will call back to cancel" they won't do anything.
Yeah. But I thought I DID threaten to cancel at the end. To be honest, the guy didn't sound too bright.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:44 AM   #512
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Yeah. But I thought I DID threaten to cancel at the end. To be honest, the guy didn't sound too bright.
You threatened to cancel. You need to cancel. Like ask to cancel your service. Then they'll blow you for a nickel.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:46 AM   #513
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
You threatened to cancel. You need to cancel. Like ask to cancel your service. Then they'll blow you for a nickel.

I'll let you know how it goes. I've always hated negotiating.....not a strong suit of mine.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:55 AM   #514
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:

I'll let you know how it goes. I've always hated negotiating.....not a strong suit of mine.
Well do you hate it more than paying 100 dollars more than you should be every month? You decide!!!!!!

Old 09-01-2014, 07:59 AM   #515
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

So... i called DirecTV back and guess what: They were no longer willing to offer me free sunday ticket and wouldn't believe me that it had been offered by the rep that i had previously talked to. They kept throwing it out there that i wasn't eligible since i had gotten it for free before. They said the best they could do was 8 dollars off of the package each month and a 15 dollar credit per month. I said I wanted to cancel (already talking to retention team at this point), she says, I'm sorry to hear that, i'll take care of that for you. I'm pretty shocked at this point.

They've called my bluff. In the middle of her giving me all the necessary cancellation requirements I'm thinking that i have to find a smooth way to stop this from happening so that i can bargain again. I stop her, tell her that i'm outraged that a company would offer something and then take it back. I even threw in a "bait and switch" for good measure. Then i asked to speak to her supervisor. She transfers me, i wait 10 seconds and hang up. Crisis averted..

I wait a day, call back again: This time, i'm talking to a 'Paris' in Alabama (i asked about her a little, thought i could gain some traction with some small talk). She turns out to be really nice, and not at all like the last couple of retention team people. I lay out my sob story about how my situation has been mishandled and talked about how my weekly shortcuts would record all scrambled and that i missed out on full quarters of games last season (true). She offers me Sunday ticket plus Max for $160 (four payments), with a one time credit of $20 and 12 monthly credits of $10 each. I was so relieved that a reasonable offer was back on the table that I took it without trying to strong arm her any further.. I did request, in lieu of my having to call about 5 times to get this done, that she throw in the movie channel package for a few months for my trouble... She didn't even hesitate (3 mos). I think I could have gotten a better deal but in the end I'll end up paying $20 for Sunday Ticket plus Max and 3 months of HBO/Cinn/Show... all without having to renew my contract which will allow me some more leverage when the contract is up next fall.

Last edited by SportinOne; 09-01-2014 at 08:02 AM..
Old 09-01-2014, 08:22 AM   #516
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

I have the same luck as a select few here do. Called to change my monthly service (was getting every fricken channel almost) and then said NFL Ticket was too much, I'd like to also cancel it. Xfer me to the NFL Ticket team, explain the price is too high and I didn't think it was worth that much. She says, OK, hold one one second while I pull up your account. Comes back on and says it has been cancelled and I'll receive credit for what I've already paid, including taxes on my next bill.
I was surprised there was no attempt to negotiate the price. Oh well, guess I'll hope for more nationally televised games, or watch on line...
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:02 AM   #517
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hades View Post
I have the same luck as a select few here do. Called to change my monthly service (was getting every fricken channel almost) and then said NFL Ticket was too much, I'd like to also cancel it. Xfer me to the NFL Ticket team, explain the price is too high and I didn't think it was worth that much. She says, OK, hold one one second while I pull up your account. Comes back on and says it has been cancelled and I'll receive credit for what I've already paid, including taxes on my next bill.
I was surprised there was no attempt to negotiate the price. Oh well, guess I'll hope for more nationally televised games, or watch on line...
No no no.. You dont threaten to cancel sunday ticket.. You threaten to cancel your account completely. Thats should do the trick
Old 09-01-2014, 09:12 AM   #518
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

I had direct for a few years 3-4 years ago. Originally for the Sunday ticket.
Since I moved since then I didn't bring it with me.

The thing that incenses me about DTV is the "lease" of the receivers ( which is ok) at a charge each month, does not include repair or replacement of those receivers if they go bad. If you don't pay them the additional charge of $7 or so a month and your receiver dies or has a problem, YOU are responsible to repair or replace it. And I had two receivers screwed up by a software upgrade they put out, that made me totally rewire my link to my tvs ( I was using the standard video out to a whole house modulator for tvs in other rooms
and the upgrade made me switch from HDMI to component cables on the HD tvs and receivers, in order to get it working again.( and yes I am an electronics tech so was able to figure that out...most people would have been SOL). When I initially called about it Direct offered to sell me a replacement receiver lease...for about $100 each ( as long as I returned the others). If you don't pay their insurance and something happens to your equipment...watch out. If you have to have a service tech come out...watch out. I just don't see how LEASED equipment is YOUR problem to maintain.

Comcast is awful...but at least they will give you new equipment pretty much on request, as long as you go to their office and don't ask them to send a guy out ( $50).

Right now my Comcast contract ( ALL channels) is up and I can sign up for anything...but need Internet ( and probably phone since they are bundled.) They raised the rate of course, but Directv Is only cheaper for the first 3 months if I also have the internet from Comcast ( they are actually the best provider here). After that it is higher and the second year is almost $35 a month higher.

Trying to decide what to do.
One unfortunate effect...Seahawks are Now popular here and the local stations are sucking up to them pretty badly.
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:18 AM   #519
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

Had the ticket since 2004. Haven't paid for it since about 2008.
Wes Mantooth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:03 AM   #520
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

Quote:

"Yes."

?!?!?!?!?!?!

Call right back and ask for someone else. Also mention you can get Pac 12 network elsewhere.

I've had experiences like you just had. And I've had ones where they give it to me for free. It's all who you talk to
LetsGoBroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:41 AM   #521
MVP-06
MVP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I called this morning and usually have pretty good success with the retention team. I have season tix so I explained how I wouldn't use it for half the season since I'm at the games. Best I got was $8 dollars off and ticket max for $50 instead of $100. I said no id like the max for free and he called my bluff and cancelled it. Not what I was expecting.

So now I'm pissed and said I want to reduce my monthly plan from the premium plan at $129 to the ultimate package which was $81. I then said with that savings I'll do the Ticket at the original offer. He told me that offer was off the table since I canceled it. I asked to speak to someone else and they then transferred me to there "NFL people" who knocked off $50 and gave me the max for free.

In the end I got the ticket w/max for $31/mo for 6 months, and with lowering my package to $81/mo should come $112 per month for 6 months and $81 the other six. I lost the movie channels but so busy never watch them anyways. Beats the $129/mo plus base package and the $40/mo ticket for 6 months and the $50 charge for the max.

All in all took me an hour but was worth it.
MVP-06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:50 AM   #522
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

DTV would be wise to lower the Sunday Ticket price for everyone and stop the negotiating , it must cost a small fortune to deal with all the costumers wanting a better deal.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:02 AM   #523
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
DTV would be wise to lower the Sunday Ticket price for everyone and stop the negotiating , it must cost a small fortune to deal with all the costumers wanting a better deal.
There are always those that just pay the bill and don't negotiate. All companies rely on that. People are hesitant to change things that they are generally satisfied with ... and Direct sneaks the price up over period of time. By the time you are eligible to get out of it ( contract) they hope you have gotten used to paying the set price. Most people want to not deal with it.

I just signed up for health insurance on Medicare ( turning 65 next month) and prescription coverage. The prescription plan is cheap at $12.60 a month. The identical plan is also available at $22 a month. I asked how come.....and its because the price was lowered this year...but anyone that doesn't check each renewal time will continue to pay the $22 . The company is not obligated to tell them or give them the lower rate.

Sucks , but that is the way of it.
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:11 AM   #524
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottXray View Post
There are always those that just pay the bill and don't negotiate. All companies rely on that. People are hesitant to change things that they are generally satisfied with ... and Direct sneaks the price up over period of time. By the time you are eligible to get out of it ( contract) they hope you have gotten used to paying the set price. Most people want to not deal with it.

I just signed up for health insurance on Medicare ( turning 65 next month) and prescription coverage. The prescription plan is cheap at $12.60 a month. The identical plan is also available at $22 a month. I asked how come.....and its because the price was lowered this year...but anyone that doesn't check each renewal time will continue to pay the $22 . The company is not obligated to tell them or give them the lower rate.

Sucks , but that is the way of it.
Do you not think a thread like this one is not on a ton of message boards? The numbers of costumers wanting a better deal is growing exponentially thanks to the Internet. At some point the costs will close in and they will fix a non-negocable price IMO.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:17 AM   #525
cabronco
Broncos & LA Kings fan

PFM / Kopitar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Superbowl Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP-06 View Post
I called this morning and usually have pretty good success with the retention team. I have season tix so I explained how I wouldn't use it for half the season since I'm at the games. Best I got was $8 dollars off and ticket max for $50 instead of $100. I said no id like the max for free and he called my bluff and cancelled it. Not what I was expecting.

So now I'm pissed and said I want to reduce my monthly plan from the premium plan at $129 to the ultimate package which was $81. I then said with that savings I'll do the Ticket at the original offer. He told me that offer was off the table since I canceled it. I asked to speak to someone else and they then transferred me to there "NFL people" who knocked off $50 and gave me the max for free.

In the end I got the ticket w/max for $31/mo for 6 months, and with lowering my package to $81/mo should come $112 per month for 6 months and $81 the other six. I lost the movie channels but so busy never watch them anyways. Beats the $129/mo plus base package and the $40/mo ticket for 6 months and the $50 charge for the max.

All in all took me an hour but was worth it.
Thats essentially what I got as well. It took going thru an asshat rep though. I asked for the retention dept. from the start, she said I can help you. And she was nothing but a pain, so I asked to speak to her Supy. and she said hold on the line, and I was on hold for 10 mins. I said screw it and hung up. I got her name prior, called back and asked for complaints dept. and reported her rudeness and being on hold with no one answering BS. I told them Im a long time customer since they first got the NFL pkge. This guy apologized and said they have a specific dept. for this and just ask for NFL ticket dept. he transferred me over and we got it worked out. So ask for NFL ticket dept. from get-go and haggle with them.
cabronco is offline   Reply With Quote