The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2017, 04:10 PM   #1
Action

Adopt-a-Bronco:
2015DraftClass
Default Goodell: "The quality of the game is better on Thursday nights."

He said this today.

What? Can anyone form strong supporting thoughts for this idea?

#alternativefacts
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2017, 04:18 PM   #2
champhalloffamer
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

cos he is a typical bean counter corporate piece of ****
champhalloffamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:18 PM   #3
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Underling 1/Hoskins: "Sir, I think the people and the players don't like playing on thursdays. The games are almost never exciting"
Goodell: "Fantastic, Hoskins. I'm glad they are excited"
Underling 1/Hoskins: "Sir, that's not what I said...they hate to play, only the owners and you love the thursday night game"
Goodell: "The players love to play the thursday night game? That's fantastic for the shield"
Underling 1/Hoskins: *jaw hanging open* "you cannot be serious..."
Underling 2/Smith, to Hoskins: "just let it go dude..."

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:30 PM   #4
DomCasual
The Mad Dommer!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer81 View Post
Underling 1/Hoskins: "Sir, I think the people and the players don't like playing on thursdays. The games are almost never exciting"
Goodell: "Fantastic, Hoskins. I'm glad they are excited"
Underling 1/Hoskins: "Sir, that's not what I said...they hate to play, only the owners and you love the thursday night game"
Goodell: "The players love to play the thursday night game? That's fantastic for the shield"
Underling 1/Hoskins: *jaw hanging open* "you cannot be serious..."
Underling 2/Smith, to Hoskins: "just let it go dude..."

Goodell: "In our benevolence, we first gave them non-guaranteed contracts; then Thursday Night Football; and now, we must work on the trifecta: the 18-game schedule."
Underling 1/Hoskins: "Um, sir..."
Goodell: "Hoskins, I failed to mention how we put their minds at ease, regarding the safety of the game. These men were concerned with that nonsense about head trauma. It was no small thing when we were able to definitively prove that there was no risk to the brain from our great game - no small thing, at all."
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:32 PM   #5
commode
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

was he watching recordings of sunday's games on his dvr on thursdays this season? i don't remember a single good thursday night game.
commode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:34 PM   #6
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Yes I'm sure cutting prep time in half and eliminating the recovery day makes for better quality
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:37 PM   #7
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
Goodell: "In our benevolence, we first gave them non-guaranteed contracts; then Thursday Night Football; and now, we must work on the trifecta: the 18-game schedule."
Underling 1/Hoskins: "Um, sir..."
Goodell: "Hoskins, I failed to mention how we put their minds at ease, regarding the safety of the game. These men were concerned with that nonsense about head trauma. It was no small thing when we were able to definitively prove that there was no risk to the brain from our great game - no small thing, at all."

Underling 1/Hoskins: "But sir...studies show the players lose years off of their lives as a result of the head trauma..."
Goodell: "Poppycock, Herkins. And besides...its the bad years at the end. Who would'nt want to miss that?"
Underling 1/Hoskins: "It's Hoskins, sir"
Underling 2/Smith: "Dude...shhhh. I've been Smoot the entire time I've been here. Just let it go"

Old 01-25-2017, 04:47 PM   #8
DomCasual
The Mad Dommer!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer81 View Post
Underling 1/Hoskins: "But sir...studies show the players lose years off of their lives as a result of the head trauma..."
Goodell: "Poppycock, Herkins. And besides...its the bad years at the end. Who would'nt want to miss that?"
Underling 1/Hoskins: "It's Hoskins, sir"
Underling 2/Smith: "Dude...shhhh. I've been Smoot the entire time I've been here. Just let it go"

The funny thing is how close to the truth we probably are.

Very funny stuff, Ackerman.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:51 PM   #9
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post

The funny thing is how close to the truth we probably are.

Very funny stuff, Ackerman.

It reminds me of a Blackadder Goes Forth skit involving Blackadder and General Melchett.

Old 01-25-2017, 04:54 PM   #10
bronco militia
made a business decision"

bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 05:28 PM   #11
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

I don't think that there is a problem with the quality of the game, I'd say that there is a major problem with the quality of the match ups. It's rarely two good teams. Sometimes it's a good team against a mediocre or bad team. Usually both teams are mediocre, or even bad. Jets vs. Bills. Dolphins vs. Bengals. Browns vs. Ravens. Dolphins vs. Jets. Cardinals vs. 49ers. Who wants to watch any of those matchups outside of the fans of those teams? Only two meaningful games was the season kickoff game with the Broncos and Panthers and then late in the season with the Raiders and Chiefs. I doubt many people thought that the Raiders and Chiefs would be a very meaningful game before the season started.

Sunday Night Football gets the best matchups. Monday Night used to get them. But Thursday Night matchups are hot garbage.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 05:36 PM   #12
qbronco
Lifelong Fan

PRODIGIOUS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lyle Alzado

The ol' "piss on my shoes and tell me it's raining" babble. We should have seen this coming.
qbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:31 PM   #13
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
He said this today.

What? Can anyone form strong supporting thoughts for this idea?

#alternativefacts
Trumpery....

( real word since 1400`s)..
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:42 PM   #14
DomCasual
The Mad Dommer!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in LA View Post
I don't think that there is a problem with the quality of the game, I'd say that there is a major problem with the quality of the match ups. It's rarely two good teams. Sometimes it's a good team against a mediocre or bad team. Usually both teams are mediocre, or even bad. Jets vs. Bills. Dolphins vs. Bengals. Browns vs. Ravens. Dolphins vs. Jets. Cardinals vs. 49ers. Who wants to watch any of those matchups outside of the fans of those teams? Only two meaningful games was the season kickoff game with the Broncos and Panthers and then late in the season with the Raiders and Chiefs. I doubt many people thought that the Raiders and Chiefs would be a very meaningful game before the season started.

Sunday Night Football gets the best matchups. Monday Night used to get them. But Thursday Night matchups are hot garbage.
I think it's more than that. Players and coaches have said how much they hate it. They do like the mini-bye week they get after it - that's about it There have been lots of quotes over the last few years about how it almost feels like a glorified exhibition game. The game plan is watered down. Their bodies haven't recovered in the four days since their last game. It's a mess.

And, what's more (and something I think really supports the idea that it's not a true reflection of reality), teams seem to play completely differently on Thursday night than they have in preceding games. Think about some of the eggs we've laid on Thursdays recently.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:24 PM   #15
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

I watch college football on Thursdays.
KipCorrington25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:52 PM   #16
4HorSeimian
Ring of Famer

Go pound salt Panther Nation!

Goodell was quoted,

Quote:
"Thursday night football is our bigly night of great American sport and entertainment. It's never been huger. It's like it was when we were winning at everything. It is amazing, spectacular football."
After a short nervous like delay, a round of tiny hands applauded. No twitter accounts were banned, yet.

Last edited by 4HorSeimian; 01-25-2017 at 08:10 PM..
4HorSeimian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:55 PM   #17
broncosjf
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Oceania was at war with Eastasia. Oceania had always been at war with Eastasia.
broncosjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:56 PM   #18
Rohirrim
Partisan

"...had Brock not been available.."

It's bigly!
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:10 PM   #19
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Trumpery and flatulence mated again. Lot of that going around.
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:39 PM   #20
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Mobley

Kind of like the Pats* fans that post on this board in attempts to convince us how good they are and bad Denver is. And like with the Pats* fans, Roger, not buying the major overstatement. May be one of the reasons the NFL ratings are dropping. Like baseball and basketball, oversaturation of mediocrity.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 10:59 PM   #21
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Let's Go Broncos!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Dear Roger: Sh*t sandwiches are not appetizing; no matter how many times you assure us that they are.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 12:32 AM   #22
FireFly
Ring of Famer

We're a season away

Quote:

People seem to miss this. Match ups matter.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:39 AM   #23
jmz313
Ring of Famer

i only watched 2 TNF games. The opener... and the other Broncos game. Its not even the matchups... I just have no interest in watching another night time Football game to make waking up suck even more.

If i lived on West Coast, maybe id feel different.
jmz313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 11:18 AM   #24
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Mobley

Quote:

Good post but I think it also proves that there is a problem with the quality of the game. There are less dominant teams and more mediocre teams. I think a lot of new rules have helped with this mediocrity. Also football has always been known and followed for dominant offenses. There are less of those nowadays, primarily due to the quality of QB's. People have to let go of the offensive thing and rules need to stop helping these mediocre offenses. I love defense!
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 11:40 AM   #25
CHEF LUIGI
bronco fan: day 1, 1960

cooking up a victory

the NFL channel telecasts / announcers are horrendous, at least watching option from the alternative network (CBS or NBC ) made the games better, but...
The scheduling NEEDS to compensate for the early week action ! a team and PLAYER should not be required to play on sunday and then 4 days later on Thursday, one of those days being a travel day as well !

a Thursday night game should follow a bye week for both teams !

as for the 18 game schedule, if they gave every team TWO BYE weeks, and dropped one Pre-season game, the NFL could do a HEALTHIER job of scheduling teams so they don't play a game with only 4 days in between.
Players would be better rested and and prepared each week and fans woulod get more games, better games
CHEF LUIGI is offline   Reply With Quote