The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2015, 11:05 PM   #1
SVine
Ring of Famer

Bern Baby Bern!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bossweiler
Default Osweiler Film Study vs Chargers

Someone else has done this last week, (forgot who) but I liked the idea, and thought I would do my own analysis of every Brock attempt. So here it is.

First a few notes. Not every catch is accurate, and not every incompletion is inaccurate. Also, on plays where Brock faces immediate intense pressure and has to throw it away, I do not consider for accuracy, as this is an analysis on throws he is intending for a target. I also consider passes that are called back by penalty, even though such plays are not considered official. Here goes....

Osweiler Accuracy Analysis

December 6, 2015 Broncos at Chargers

1st quarter

Possession starting at 15:00

1st and 10 own 24 Bootleg right 10 yards to Sanders Inaccurate.

2nd and 10 own 24 Bootleg right dump to Davis with yac. Accurate.

2nd and 9 Charger 25. 7 step dropback middle cross to Sanders to 10 with yac. Accurate.

1st and goal at 4. PA drop to DT cross over middle of endzone. Accurate

Summary ĺ Accuracy

Possession starting at 8:23

1st and 10 own 14. Bootleg left Deep left sideline pass to Sanders incomplete. Overthrown by 3 yards. Inaccurate, but Sanders was covered well.

3rd and 7 own 17 Empty Shotgun Cross to DT over middle for 11 yards plus Yac. Accurate. Play was negated by DT opi Penalty.

Summary Ĺ Accuracy Game 4/6

Possession starting at 3:08

1st and 10 own 38 Straight drop back pass over middle cross to Owen Daniels. Ball was a little high and maybe a tiny behind Daniels but very catchable. Tough call for accuracy. Sense it was in a tight window, ball should have been a little lower, Brandon Flowers injured on this play. Iíll call this inaccurate.

2nd and 10 own 38 Bootleg left Deep cross going right to Sanders to SD 37. This was the ball that Brock had pressure and was not able to step into the throw, the ball almost made it to Sanders- he may have got fingers on the ball. . The ball also looked like it might have been tipped right as it left Brockís hand, and for that reason, I will not consider this pass for accuracy.

3rd and 10 own 38 Shotgun pass over middle to Sanders for 7 yards. Accurate, but short of 1st down, only 2 yac.

Summary Ĺ Accuracy Game 5/8

2nd quarter.

Possession starting at 12:44

3rd and 5 Charger 46 Straight drop back Pass to Fowler near right side for 6 yards. Fowler led by a couple yards too much and ball goes incomplete. DPI called on play gives Denver 1st down, but CBS does not show replay to see if PI was a good call or not. Pass may have been a good one, if replay may have shown PI to be legit or not, and for that reason, I will not consider this pass as a lack of video evidence to make conclusion to accuracy of pass.

2nd and 7 Charger 27. Bootleg left dump to Daniel for 0 yards and yac to get near 1st down. Accurate.

1st and 10 Charger 20 Straight drop short middle cross to Daniels for 6 yards and 1 yac. Accurate.

3rd and goal at Charger 5 Empty shotgun. Chargers bring blitz and Os forced to throw to covered Davis for 2 yards. Davis had ball in hands but immediately hit and ball is knocked out. Accurate, but never going to be a touchdown.

Summary 3/3 Game 8/11

Possession starting at 1:41

2nd and 10 Shotgun pass right side to DT for 5 yards and 1 yac. Accurate.

3rd and 3 own 27 Shotgun Pass to left side to Sanders left side for 4 yards. Ball a little low, but since Sanders was covered well behind him, completed with poor yac opportunity, Iíll consider this accurate.

1st and 10 own 34. Shotgun Middle dump to CJ for 2 yards and 10 more yac. Accurate.

1st and 10 own 46. Shotgun middle to Fowler to Chargers 37. Fowler was covered very well and Osweiler should never have thrown ball. Weddle drops easy interception. Inaccurate.

2nd and 10 own 46. Shotgun middle cross right to Davis to Charger 45. Davis was hit right away helmet to helmet, but pass was accurate.

Summary 4/5 Game 12/16

3rd Quarter

Possession starting at 12:11

Swing left to Sanders. Ball was behind Sanders a little bit and high, and Sanders gained 3 yards on the play. The pass was not a real good one though, so I consider this inaccurate.

3rd and 18 Charger 48. Screen pass to Thompson and really good yac almost gets first down. Accurate.

Ĺ Game 13/18

Possession starting at 7:39

1st and 10 at own 26. WR screen left to DT for -1 yard but 10 yac gets good yardage. Accurate.

2nd and 8 own 39. Straight drop short middle cross to Green for 4 yards but huge yac gets ball all the way to Charger 39. Accurate.

1st and 10 own 39. Bootleg straight backward (consider bootleg because Os spun after faking handoff) Os had pressure and threw deep left cross to Sanders and overthrew by 5 yards. Sanders was covered. Os had maybe a little time to check quickly to 2nd option (Sanders was not open), but Os was hit as it was. Inaccurate, only because I felt Os should have checked to 2nd option and he didnít.

2nd and 10 own 27. Deep left side into endzone for Sanders. Sanders was covered and ball was underthrown and intercepted. Os should have checked to 2nd option. Pressure was starting to come, but Os should have recognized that Sanders was covered and should have checked to another option. Inaccurate.

Summary 1/3 Game 14/21

Possession starting at 0:38

4th quarter

3rd and 6 at own 6. Shotgun straight drop. Os looked right, checked left to DT to own 18. Os was hit just after he let go of ball. The fact that Os had the sense to check down while in endzone, and deliver ball under those circumstances. Os biggest throw of the game. Bar none. Accurate.

3rd and 7 at Charger 49. Shotgun Pass to right sideline to Fowler to Charger 36. Ball was led too much and goes incomplete. Fowler was covered anyway. However, Os had immediate pressure and didnít even have time to check to another option so for that reason, I wonít consider this pass for accuracy..

Summary 1/1 Game 15/22

Possession starting at 6:46

3rd and 7 at own 48. Shotgun Pass to DT left-middle for 6 yards and 3 yac for first down. Accurate.

3rd and 8 bootleg right to Hillman for 0 yards. Ball was knocked out of Hlllman just as he was catching it. Accurate even though incomplete.

Summary 2/2 Game 17/24
Possession starting at 2:06

0 pass attempts

Possession starting at 0:19

0 pass attempts.

Overall in accuracy, Brock was 17/24. Actually a pretty good game. A lot of very accurate passes hitting receivers in stride giving opportunity for yac,, but he did have two bad throws. The int in endzone and the near int near the end of 1st half. Other than that, not a bad game at all.
SVine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2015, 11:11 PM   #2
Kaylore
Super Bowl 50 Champions

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Are you actually watching the all 22 film or is this the game broadcast?
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 11:15 PM   #3
SVine
Ring of Famer

Bern Baby Bern!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bossweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Game broadcast. Do I need DirecTV Sunday Ticket to watch all 22?
Old 12-06-2015, 11:27 PM   #4
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kapri Bibbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVine View Post
Someone else has done this last week, (forgot who) but I liked the idea, and thought I would do my own analysis of every Brock attempt. So here it is.
That was me...thanks for saving me the trouble.

Nice job.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:30 AM   #5
Yi Rox
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Riley Odoms

Quote:
All 22 won't post up until tomorrow
Yi Rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:41 AM   #6
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
You don't really need all 22 to determine if passes are accurate or not.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:59 AM   #7
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
well it helps to see the coverage so you know if that affected the specific placement of the pass.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:10 AM   #8
SVine
Ring of Famer

Bern Baby Bern!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bossweiler

Quote:
When I do film study, I would prefer to use all-22, this would help me determine if other receivers are open, I would consider such for evaluation of qb. Apparently all-22 is available through NFL Gamepass, and cost $105 for access for every team, or $81 for one team (your favorite team) for whole season. Enticing, but I think I'll pass.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:42 AM   #9
OABB
GPOAT

My face reading Taco posts

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TailGateNut

Thank you. This was a good write up! I do think the Chargers played really well yesterday and they deserve more defensive credit.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:40 AM   #10
Kaylore
Super Bowl 50 Champions

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I don't think people should say they "watched film" when they didn't actually watch the game film. Game film is a specific set of cuts of the game from vantage points that usually aren't used in the game broadcast that shows what all 22 players did on the play. Just say you rewatched the game - it doesn't take away from your analysis and doesn't make people think you have access to game film.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:08 AM   #11
SVine
Ring of Famer

Bern Baby Bern!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bossweiler

Quote:
I don't think people should say they "watched film" when they didn't actually watch the game film. Game film is a specific set of cuts of the game from vantage points that usually aren't used in the game broadcast that shows what all 22 players did on the play. Just say you rewatched the game - it doesn't take away from your analysis and doesn't make people think you have access to game film.
Fair enough and valid points.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:14 AM   #12
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Putting this here for lack of a better place:
Quote:
Brock Osweiler was 16-of-20 with a touchdown on throws fewer than 15 yards downfield Sunday, but was 0-of-6 with an interception on deeper throws. Osweiler's 5 touchdowns this season have traveled an average of 7.2 yards downfield, while his 3 interceptions have averaged 15.7 air yards.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/game?gameId=400791652
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:20 AM   #13
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Overall in accuracy, Brock was 17/24. Actually a pretty good game. A lot of very accurate passes hitting receivers in stride giving opportunity for yac,, but he did have two bad throws. The int in endzone and the near int near the end of 1st half. Other than that, not a bad game at all.
i personally did'nt have a big problem with his endzone pick... 50/50 ball imo...

nice write up btw...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:23 AM   #14
pricejj
jungle

17/24 accuracy is not very good at all. He's going to have to do better than that. Right now Osweiler is ranked bottom 10 in QB Ranking (Manning is the worst). Dalton is the best and Roethlisberger is #6.

There is only so much a good Defense can cover up.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:24 AM   #15
SVine
Ring of Famer

Bern Baby Bern!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bossweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcver2ver3 View Post
i personally did'nt have a big problem with his endzone pick... 50/50 ball imo...

nice write up btw...
I am kinda with you on this. That interception is one of the primary reasons Denver had only 17 points. But when it comes down to it, that is about as least damaging an int can be given all the circumstances.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:27 AM   #16
SVine
Ring of Famer

Bern Baby Bern!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bossweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
17/24 accuracy is not very good at all. He's going to have to do better than that. Right now Osweiler is ranked bottom 10 in QB Ranking (Manning is the worst). Dalton is the best and Roethlisberger is #6.

There is only so much a good Defense can cover up.
You can't be serious. On his 7 inaccurate passes, Os had pressure coming on 4 or 5 of those passes. Os did not have a real good game but he wasn't nearly as bad as some are making this out to be.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:56 AM   #17
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I am kinda with you on this. That interception is one of the primary reasons Denver had only 17 points. But when it comes down to it, that is about as least damaging an int can be given all the circumstances.
exactly...

no such thing as a good INT, but the closest thing to it is that type...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:03 PM   #18
anon
Pro Bowler

Think he needs to improve on intermediate reads -- something Kubiak hinted at in his presser as well. I was wondering why we only seemed to have 5 yard dump-offs and deep routes in the playbook.
anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:03 PM   #19
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
You can't be serious. On his 7 inaccurate passes, Os had pressure coming on 4 or 5 of those passes. Os did not have a real good game but he wasn't nearly as bad as some are making this out to be.
I didn't say it was horrible. I said he needs to improve. He made some "young" decisions, just like Kubiak said. Right now Osweiler is solidly a bottom 10 QB, which will need to improve tremendously in a short amount of time.

Also, counting plays that don't even count as "accurate" or not, is silly.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:11 PM   #20
SVine
Ring of Famer

Bern Baby Bern!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bossweiler

Quote:
I didn't say it was horrible. I said he needs to improve. He made some "young" decisions, just like Kubiak said. Right now Osweiler is solidly a bottom 10 QB, which will need to improve tremendously in a short amount of time.

I am not sure I agree that Os is "solidly a bottom 10 qb". Given the quality of qbs in the NFL currently in the league, outside of the top 8-10 qbs, Os seems to be as good as most of any of the other qbs in the NFL right now, and Os has a very high ceiling, so who knows how good he will really be when it comes time for the team to rely on him more (ala end of NE game).
Old 12-07-2015, 08:20 PM   #21
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:

He's doing fairly well given his inexperience and the fact that he's playing behind terrible pass protection. The truth is that winning a Super Bowl will require our defense playing out of their minds in the playoffs because our o-line just isn't good enough no matter who is our QB.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:51 PM   #22
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
He's doing fairly well given his inexperience and the fact that he's playing behind terrible pass protection. The truth is that winning a Super Bowl will require our defense playing out of their minds in the playoffs because our o-line just isn't good enough no matter who is our QB.
I don't think so. Take a look at these numbers:

1. The Broncos are 16th in the NFL with 27 sacks (not bad considering the amount of injuries, self sacks, and holding onto the ball too long)
2. The Broncos are 19th in the NFL with 70 QB hits
3. 19th in the NFL with 4.0 ypc
4. 17th in rushing yards
5. 14th in rushing attempts
6. 15th in rushing TD's

Osweiler has already been sacked 12 times in 3 games. Manning was only sacked 15 times in 9 games. Solidly average OL pass pro and rushing stats, despite the predictable Omane absolute demonization of a 3rd string backup RT.

QB Rating is where the Broncos really suffer, ranked 31st in the NFL, with the 26th completion %. The only reason they are ranked 19th in scoring is because Broncos All-World Defense scores almost every game. IF the Broncos only had AVERAGE QB play, they would have a chance at winning the Superbowl. With bottom dweller QB's, they'll waste the best Defense in the history of the organization.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:03 PM   #23
SVine
Ring of Famer

Bern Baby Bern!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bossweiler

Quote:

1. The Broncos are 16th in the NFL with 27 sacks (not bad considering the amount of injuries, self sacks, and holding onto the ball too long)
4. 17th in rushing yards
6. 15th in rushing TD's

Osweiler has already been sacked 12 times in 3 games. Manning was only sacked 15 times in 9 games. Solidly average OL pass pro and rushing stats, despite the predictable Omane absolute demonization of a 3rd string backup RT.

QB Rating is where the Broncos really suffer, ranked 31st in the NFL, with the 26th completion %. The only reason they are ranked 19th in scoring is because Broncos All-World Defense scores almost every game. IF the Broncos only had AVERAGE QB play, they would have a chance at winning the Superbowl. With bottom dweller QB's, they'll waste the best Defense in the history of the organization.

It don't seem you are granting Os a learning curve that should be granted to all qbs getting their first real game experience.

Seriously, watching Os start the 3 games he's started, do you honestly believe that Os is playing like a bottom 10 qb? Forget the stats. Just watch him. Do you really believe he's playing like a bottom 10 qb?

The Bears have the NFL's 12th ranked defense and Denver caught the Bears when they were playing good having won 4 of their previous 6 games.

The Patriots have the NFL's 13th ranked defense and surely you didn't forget this game was played in a blizzard?

Denver jumped out to a quick 14-0 lead and surely this affected the playcalling, tone, and mindset for the rest of the game. Imagine if SD responded and stayed close to Denver, don't you think playcalling would have been more aggressive thinking they were going to need more points?

Oh, and remember Os first real serious NFL action in his career, being inserted into a near impossible situation trailing big against KC and Denver, having done absolutely nothing previously in the game led Denver to 2 touchdowns and almost made that game interesting in the end?

Last edited by SVine; 12-07-2015 at 09:06 PM..
Old 12-07-2015, 09:15 PM   #24
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
The only reason they are ranked 19th in scoring is because Broncos All-World Defense scores almost every game.
27th in offensive TD's per game which is more representative of this offense than scoring ranks.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/st...per-game/2015/
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:25 PM   #25
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:

4. 17th in rushing yards
6. 15th in rushing TD's

Using mediocre to bad stats to prove they aren't terrible means nothing to me. First of all being average to below average in nearly every category means they are bad, especially in a time where poor o-line play is rampant among bad and mediocre teams in the league. If you think a team with OL stats like that has much of chance of winning a Super Bowl you are beyond clueless. Also Osweiler is playing pretty average at the moment. Manning tanked the passing stats, especially passer rating and interceptions.

The bottom line is that our Super Bowl chances rest on our defense playing out of their minds and the offense not messing things up. Osweiler is to inexperienced to expect much more than game management, and our OL is too crappy to expect much more than 20-24 points in games.

Last edited by Agamemnon; 12-07-2015 at 09:27 PM..