The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2016, 10:15 AM   #1
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default I watched every snap of the all 22 last night of the Bengals game

So I finally watched the coaches film on the NFL Replay. FYI, it's not "real" coaches film. They have better angles and are more zoomed in on units, but it's not the game cast. You see the entire field from the side and then you get the entire play from from the line of scrimmage as well. So it's an excellent way to assess all 22 players, the scheme, and what actually happened on the plays.

I'm just going to make some general notes here.
  • The running play at the beginning of the game where Hill kicked out was a combination of clever play design by the Bengals, good execution by the Bengals, and the Stewart getting over late. I haven't broken down any other Bengals games, but I would guess they throw out of this formation a lot, the Broncos thought that's what they were looking at it, and boom: off to the races.
  • Schofield a good guard. Week one he had some issues inside, but he's gotten better. I only saw a few snaps where a guy got under his pads and bull rushed him backwards. And with a tackle on his right side, he's basically protected from what he isn't good at which is spin moves and anything to the outside. He has some issues getting down field and securing a block at the second level, and he still cuts like a guy falling on a banana, but I'd say he's an above average guard right now.
  • Ty Sambrailo was pretty raw, but there is potential there. He let a few guys get past him and was bailed out by CJ or even just Siemian stepping up. He also isn't awesome with hands yet. But he hustles and has a lot of motor.
  • Something is off with Max Garcia and Paradis. Max appears to be making some of the line checks, because he often taps Paradis and then Paradis snaps the ball. Having said that, guys right in front of Garcia often just blow by him, like he wouldn't even attempt to block them. So I don't know if that's Garcia or Paradis messing up, but it really boned us on a lot of plays where dudes were in the backfield almost instantly.
  • The Bengals frequently shifted their front right before the snap to try and confuse the offensive line and the offense in general. It often worked.
  • Peko is a great player. We had a hard time cutting him the entire game, and he regularly was in our grill. I wish he was a Bronco because our interior would be amazing.
  • Some of the redzone play calling isn't very creative. It often calls for routes that evenly distribute the receivers in the endzone at the same time, and they are often all running the same direction. This is annoying because in a zone it is incredibly easy to defend. Worse, there is often no threat of a running game. If you are going to go empty, you have to change up your route combinations, or at least levels so there someone underneath or crossing in the other direction of the other routes to challenge the defense more creatively. If there is an RB back there, at least you're threatening the run. I am unsure if this is a result of watering things down for Siemian, or something else.
  • The dropped int that was a parachute would have hit DT wide open for a big gain on the right side possibly for a TD. Siemian made the right read and just couldn't get enough on it. His arm may have been hit, or he may have had to pull up so it wasn't hit, but either way, if he can step into that it's a huge play.
  • The second dropped int there was no excuse for. It was totally a bad read and a bad throw.
  • Siemian usually throws to a guy with single coverage. It isn't always the most open guy, especially under duress, but it's usually a guy that isn't being double teamed. He also tends to default to his better receivers, which is good. There were few exceptions . For example the TD to DT at the end of the game they had a safety deep but it was his single high, DT had beat his man by half a step, and the safety wasn't going to get over in time.
  • That brings me to my next point, which is that Trevor is pretty good at looking off receivers already. He'll death-stare at safeties, or to other receivers just to freeze the safety a few seconds to keep his target in single
  • When the running game isn't working, it's usually because of just a few guys barely missing their blocks or having not so perfect technique. We're seriously like one or two blocks from blowing the door off of defenses in the run game. It's well schemed and you can see what the players are trying to do. Okung in particular really has his **** together conceptually. He will haul to block the defender that will probably account for the most yardage (assuming everyone else does their job).
  • On defense, we are pretty vulnerable to runs up the middle, both to the backs and especially to the QB. We play a ton of man on third and long and while coverage is usually pretty good, they are starting to design routes that clear out the middle of the field and the QB's can just haul for huge yardage because the DB's backs are to the QB. I'd love to see a delayed blitz up the middle in these situations, utilize a spy, or just go zone to keep teams on their toes.
  • Some of the runs were a result of the ends not keeping gap integrity on running plays, and less a result of below average DT play. For example on one run, Dakoda Watson crashed too hard, lost contain and the Bengals running back took the hole and ran up field. I already talked about the other play earlier.
  • The Bengals ran to neutralize the pass rush. The Bengals didn't want to run. You could tell it's not what they hang their hat on. They tried to go back to it in the second half and their line imploded. So at least we were forcing them to do something they didn't want to.
  • Shane Ray was more impressive against the run than rushing the passer. A lot of his sacks were effort sacks where due to coverage or other guys disrupting the line Dalton was kind of pushed towards Shane and he just keep grinding until Dalton bounced into him. Against the run he was actually better about holding his edge, pushing a lineman or doing other things to make the Bengals offense struggle.
  • AJ Green is kind of afraid to get hit. There were a couple of run plays where Green wasn't great about trying to block down field. And on some passes he kind of pulled up a bit. You could tell he wasn't loving the idea of playing the Broncos. On one play, he saw Roby coming to hit him as the ball was coming and dropped the catch.
  • Kubiak and Wade made awesome adjustments and called a great second half game. This coaching staff doesn't get enough credit, but one of the reasons Simian and the defense did so well was because of how they changed up their play calling in the second half. We snapped the ball faster before plays in the second half to neutralize their pre-snap adjustments. We had more level attacks in the passing game, and we tried spreading them out more.

It was good to watch and you really got a feel for how the team is playing and who needs work and who doesn't.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2016, 10:26 AM   #2
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Good analysis. Keep em coming.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:42 AM   #3
orange skier
Who is Brock Osweiler..?

30 runs per game: we're unbeatable

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Will Parks

Coaching: this is what I am taking away from the Bengals game. I haven't given Kubiak and his crew enough respect. Kubiak has worked himself into one of the top 3 coaches in the league, imo. Our coaches are something right now, and they really did a great job with this game, and with Siemian. We now have a system in place, and it is just getting better and better. Yes, we will drop a game or two, but we have a factory now built, and turning out winners. The coaching staff with Wade, and everyone else is stellar. I'm excited for us. Win now, and win from now on.
orange skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:43 AM   #4
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

hey Kaylore, do you see any specific reason why PFF gave IRman such a high grade?
SleepingTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:43 AM   #5
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Thanks Kaylore keep em coming
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:44 AM   #6
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

can i get an analysis of all broncos game going back to 1984?
Old 09-27-2016, 10:51 AM   #7
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Good stuff, thanks for posting!
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:58 AM   #8
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingTiger View Post
can i get an analysis of all broncos game going back to 1984?

Meh, this sums it up nicely.

ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:12 AM   #9
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

SB50 CHAMPION BRONCOS!

I also am impressed with Ray holding his edge vs the run. He got burnt by Charles last year and has worked hard to get better. I agree most of his sacks were coverage related and they kept trying to throw down late. So far we haven't missed Ware, I just hope Von and Ray stay healthy. Nice to see Watson getting some reps with Barrett falling off.

Was Siemian perfect throwing in the 4th quarter? I know he was on the go ahead drive but not sure if he finished the game without throwing and incompletion. He did get lucky on that one bad pass. I heard we got lucky on a punt or KR that was fumbled. I started rereading Bill Walsh's book Finding the Winning Edge and he talks about teams that are prepared and executing earning their luck.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:16 AM   #10
Action

Adopt-a-Bronco:
2015DraftClass

So you really are confused about Max tapping Paradis to snap the ball?
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:21 AM   #11
Br0nc0Buster
You honeydicking?

Super Bowl 50 Champs

You don't drop 4TDs on a team on the road with a 7th rounder starting under center by accident
Look at how Trevor is playing, compare that to how Brock looks

Yeah Kubiak deserves major props for how the offense is playing
"The system" that guys like Gutless give so much grief so far is working

Good stuff though
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:43 AM   #12
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Meh, this sums it up nicely.

NICE!
Old 09-27-2016, 11:45 AM   #13
TotallyScrewed
Ring of Famer

My thought on seeing what the Bengals were doing was this:

The Bengals wanted nothing to do with the Broncos pass rush. I'm not sure whether they feared turning the ball over or the physical hitting that would come with it. They did everything possible to negate the rush. After AJ Green got hit hard by Talib, he was basically out.
Aside from a few players, the Bengals gave up against the Broncos.

The Broncos oline is still the key to much better offensive production. If they can get moderately better than what we're seeing...meaning that Garcia get a little better and Sambraillo gets back to form and Stevenson gets back, they'll be able to run and throw on most teams. They're really close to being good. And an injury away from major struggles to score at all.

The Broncos interior defensive line is the only thing making it even slightly fair for the opposition. Again, gelling is the key. I think the players are there, provided injury doesn't further weaken them.

Special teams needs to remember to take the ball at the 25 most of the time. Punting is coming around but don't get cocky. I still don't understand why they don't appear to try for the coffin corner or just a pooch kick. I think he had a really short net on one punt because it went into the endzone.
TotallyScrewed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:49 AM   #14
BleedinBlue
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Garcia was tapping Paradis because of a silent count, it is a common thing to have the guard look back and alert the center when it is go time.
BleedinBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:53 AM   #15
TotallyScrewed
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
So you really are confused about Max tapping Paradis to snap the ball?
It looked to me that Max is looking back at Siemian and when #250 is ready, Max taps Matt P. and the count begins. Noise control.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:54 AM   #16
TotallyScrewed
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlue View Post
Garcia was tapping Paradis because of a silent count, it is a common thing to have the guard look back and alert the center when it is go time.
Sorry I didn't see your reply.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:06 PM   #17
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingTiger View Post
hey Kaylore, do you see any specific reason why PFF gave IRman such a high grade?
I generally don't agree with any of their grades. And I don't know why they give guys grades that they do. If I had to guess, I'd say they're basing it on his single catch.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:21 PM   #18
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I generally don't agree with any of their grades. And I don't know why they give guys grades that they do. If I had to guess, I'd say they're basing it on his single catch.
wow, Bennie Fowler and Latimer should be getting huge grades. They are the master of the single catch games!

I am trying to see how many snaps IRman actually got on offense.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:27 PM   #19
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

X-FACTOR

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Awesome post. Thanks for the insight.

So different to hear positive feedback on Schoefield. What a difference a season makes...
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:42 PM   #20
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Awesome post. Thanks for the insight.

So different to hear positive feedback on Schoefield. What a difference a season makes...
It's a season, but it's also the position switch.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:43 PM   #21
champhalloffamer
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

did anyone see on von's sack, shane ray bull rushes whitworth right into dalton and von. it was a real impressive show of strength and leverage.
champhalloffamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:51 PM   #22
Cito Pelon
Happy

Happy dog at the Divide

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Werewolves

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyScrewed View Post
My thought on seeing what the Bengals were doing was this:

. . . . After AJ Green got hit hard by Talib, he was basically out.
Aside from a few players, the Bengals gave up against the Broncos.
Ah yeah, forgot about that rib shot Talib put on AJ Green. Then Roby was ready to put another rib shot on him on the same side and he dropped a crucial 3rd down pass.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:55 PM   #23
4Horsemen
Pro Bowler

Go pound salt Panther Nation!

i noticed on the TD throw to Phillips, DT was sent to the right side of the formation (possibly to block the back end) but he would have been WIDE open.

it would have to be by design, because it can be a tough and dangerous throw. but man. wide. open. that's like one you save for the playoffs in the 3rd/4th quarter.
4Horsemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:20 PM   #24
Lost Soul
-------

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

really good read i enjoyed reading your report, thanks kaylore
Lost Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:23 PM   #25
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Kubiak and Wade made awesome adjustments and called a great second half game. This coaching staff doesn't get enough credit, but one of the reasons Simian and the defense did so well was because of how they changed up their play calling in the second half. We snapped the ball faster before plays in the second half to neutralize their pre-snap adjustments. We had more level attacks in the passing game, and we tried spreading them out more.
At some point I was going to get around to starting a thread about this. I haven't looked at all the stats, but off the top of my head:

The Broncos only gave up three points in the second half to the Panthers after giving up 17 in the first half. By halftime of that game, the Broncos defense looked nothing like they did last year, and then they went into kill mode in the second half. It was pretty damn awesome to watch.

Against the Bengals, Hill had like 65 yards on four carries on that first drive. It looked like the Broncos were about to get ran on. But Hill only had 32 yards on 14 carries for the rest of the game. After scoring 14 first half points, the Bengals only scored three points in the second half.

The Broncos have scored 45 points in the 4th quarter. 15 points per fourth quarter is a lot of points, and that's happening with the game on the line. That's more points than they've scored in the other three quarters combined (I heard that on the radio, so I'm assuming that it's true).
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote