The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2015, 10:22 PM   #1
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ian Goldstein
Default General Baseball Thread - 2015

Because 1) I've never started one of these before, and 2) I'm actually getting really excited about baseball, I figured I'd get this thing kicked off.

As per usual, I will live and die with the Rockies this season. That's depressing, considering the likelihood of them finishing below .500. But, from the Rockies perspective, I will enjoy watching various young players develop (specifically, our collection of the most talented rotation prospects in club history); I'll relish however many games we are fortunate enough to witness Nolan Arenado and Troy Tulowitzki forming a brick wall against anything hit to the left side of the infield; I'll eagerly await seeing what our young arms can do when they have a real pro behind the plate, calling the games (one not named Wilin); and I'll hold my breath at the trade deadline, hoping against hope that if we're going to dump salary for prospects, none of it will be for the guy who wears #2 for the good guys in the purple pinstripes. My heart just cannot go on without Tulo! If things fall just right, I really see some hope for contention in 2016.

Otherwise, I think the NL West is the Dodgers division, if they want it. The Nationals look loaded. And could this really be the year the Cubbies make some noise for a playoff spot?

In the AL, as long as the dirty, stinking Red Sox don't win, then I am open-minded.

Anyway, For the Rox, pitchers and catchers report in about three weeks, while the whole team will be there one month from tomorrow! WOOHOO!
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2015, 10:37 PM   #2
Chrissy Rules
Ring of Famer

Git er done

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PM OF COURSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
Because 1) I've never started one of these before, and 2) I'm actually getting really excited about baseball, I figured I'd get this thing kicked off.

As per usual, I will live and die with the Rockies this season. That's depressing, considering the likelihood of them finishing below .500. But, from the Rockies perspective, I will enjoy watching various young players develop (specifically, our collection of the most talented rotation prospects in club history); I'll relish however many games we are fortunate enough to witness Nolan Arenado and Troy Tulowitzki forming a brick wall against anything hit to the left side of the infield; I'll eagerly await seeing what our young arms can do when they have a real pro behind the plate, calling the games (one not named Wilin); and I'll hold my breath at the trade deadline, hoping against hope that if we're going to dump salary for prospects, none of it will be for the guy who wears #2 for the good guys in the purple pinstripes. My heart just cannot go on without Tulo! If things fall just right, I really see some hope for contention in 2016.

Otherwise, I think the NL West is the Dodgers division, if they want it. The Nationals look loaded. And could this really be the year the Cubbies make some noise for a playoff spot?

In the AL, as long as the dirty, stinking Red Sox don't win, then I am open-minded.

Anyway, For the Rox, pitchers and catchers report in about three weeks, while the whole team will be there one month from tomorrow! WOOHOO!
You lost me at the Nationals look loaded.. lol .I'm a Braves fan..hate the Nats..
Chrissy Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:07 PM   #3
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

There's already a classic Baseball Thread going.
Don't kill it, dude.
Find something else you can think of on your own...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:18 PM   #4
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ian Goldstein

Where?
Old 01-26-2015, 11:30 PM   #5
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ian Goldstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafen View Post
There's already a classic Baseball Thread going.
Don't kill it, dude.
Find something else you can think of on your own...
You do understand the difference between the 2014 season and the 2015 season, right? Before the "classic baseball thread" to which you refer, there was, wait for it, the 2013 General baseball Thread.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:49 AM   #6
Blake Street Bomber
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

@ChrisCotillo: Sources: #Padres in agreement with James Shields on four-year deal. Includes club option for fifth season.

@ChrisCotillo: Shields deal is pending a physical. Expected to be in $72-78 million range over four seasons. #Padres
Blake Street Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:07 AM   #7
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Evan Mathis

Wake me when you start a General Baseball thread in 2017.

Signed,

Braves fan.

That's the bad news. The good news is, their farm is loaded now with a look to that season and the new stadium.

The even better news is that the Carolina Mudcats are now a Braves affiliate and they are only 25 minutes from our house. Going to take many a trip to that ballpark this year to catch the young Bravos.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:14 AM   #8
sgbfan
Ring of Famer

Seattle actually has reasons to be excited for them this year. They will have one of the top pitching staff's in MLB (if healthy) and hopefully a little more offensive punch now with Nelson Cruz (hopefully he can produce in Safeco). Hopefully they can get something out of RF, their young guys get more consistent (Ackley, Miller, Zunino) and Logan Morrison continues where he left off last year. Seager and Cano are solid, so you know what you get.

Last year with pitching injuries to their young studs (Walker, Paxton) and Iwakuma for the first month and no production out of their RF and DH they managed to get within 1 game of the playoffs. I think they have a great chance at contending for the division and a likely making the post season this year.
sgbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:30 AM   #9
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Street Bomber View Post
@ChrisCotillo: Sources: #Padres in agreement with James Shields on four-year deal. Includes club option for fifth season.

@ChrisCotillo: Shields deal is pending a physical. Expected to be in $72-78 million range over four seasons. #Padres
Padres are spending this offseason, we shall see what that actually means when the season gets underway.

Beyond the playoffs, Spring Training is my favorite part of the year! Cannot wait to get out there this year with the family out on the lawn.
ludo21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:50 AM   #10
stagger lee
2013 Great Ban Victim

Mmm... Beer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

As a lifelong Oriole fan, I was really looking forward to this season after the division title and 1st round playoff win last year.
Then, our wonderful owner remembered he was Peter Angelos, and let not only Nelson Cruz walk, but also Nick Markakis, a lifelong Oriole who we actually developed through our farm system. He could have ditched Baltimore before both of his last free agent contracts to go to a winner, and no one could have possibly blamed him, but he actually wanted to stay and build something in Baltimore.
So how does Angelos thank him? He lowballs the hell out of him, and actually instructed the front office to reduce the amount of the contract offer they had already sent to his agent. Can't blame him for leaving.
Angelos is such a tool, I can't believe he got Showalter to work for him. I'm sure he'll run him out of town eventually. It's what he has done to every good baseball man that has been in the organization since he's owned it.
Anyway Go O's.
And go **** yourself Angelos
stagger lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:59 AM   #11
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Currently under 5 feet of snow, all of which has fallen in the last two weeks. And more on the way. Sox will be giving away tix to anyone who helps shovel out fenway at this point.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:17 AM   #12
Blake Street Bomber
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

@JeffPassan: The Padres are taking over the world: Sources say San Diego is working out Yoan Moncada today and plans to be aggressive in bidding for him.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:02 AM   #13
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Go White Sox!

I'm expecting a pretty solid year.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:17 PM   #14
GoneFishin'
Perennial Pro-bowler

Longtime listener first time caller

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

As a Mets fan I'm excited to see Matt Harvey back. Their starting pitching is legit! Now if only they could find a SS. Just glad baseball is almost back.
GoneFishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:32 AM   #15
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbfan View Post
Seattle actually has reasons to be excited for them this year. They will have one of the top pitching staff's in MLB (if healthy) and hopefully a little more offensive punch now with Nelson Cruz (hopefully he can produce in Safeco). Hopefully they can get something out of RF, their young guys get more consistent (Ackley, Miller, Zunino) and Logan Morrison continues where he left off last year. Seager and Cano are solid, so you know what you get.

Last year with pitching injuries to their young studs (Walker, Paxton) and Iwakuma for the first month and no production out of their RF and DH they managed to get within 1 game of the playoffs. I think they have a great chance at contending for the division and a likely making the post season this year.
Hell yeah man, Mariners fan too!
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:52 PM   #16
BroncosfanGuy
don't drink and post

Big Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Go Twins!

not sure this is a year they take a baby step forward, but they have some really good young talent
BroncosfanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:16 PM   #17
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Royals! The fans now have, uh...what are these called...expectations?! So I fully expect third in the division. It really should be a competitive central. Not wild about the FA moves they made, but none were long term, so they didn't screw themselves longterm.

Interested to see how the Padres offseason spree turns out. Would be cool if Shields leads a turnaround for them like in KC (ironically alongside Wil Meyers, who he was traded for in Tampa).
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:01 AM   #18
Blake Street Bomber
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The Phillies want Mookie Betts or Blake Swihart from the Red Sox for Cole Hamels.

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/bos...blake-swihart/
Old 02-11-2015, 07:18 AM   #19
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Street Bomber View Post
The Phillies want Mookie Betts or Blake Swihart from the Red Sox for Cole Hamels.

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/bos...blake-swihart/
No freaking way on either. Phillies can suck it.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:48 AM   #20
bombay
Ring of Famer

From KSDK in St Louis: The Cardinals report for spring training.

They must have amazing team doctors, because #77 is the late Oscar Taveras.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:05 AM   #21
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Evan Mathis

lolwut^

Ahhh sports j-school, even dumber than regular j-school grads.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:20 PM   #22
bombay
Ring of Famer

At the beginning of last season, Profar was the top rated prospect in MLB. Lot's of physical issues going on.

Jurrickson Profar to undergo should surgery... again

Rangers top prospect Jurickson Profar, who missed the entire 2014 season after twice tearing a muscle in his shoulder, will undergo right shoulder surgery on Monday, tweets Anthony Andro of FOX Sports Southwest. As MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan writes, Profar had previously been throwing from 105 feet without any major discomfort and undergoing an MRI every three weeks to monitor his progress. His most recent MRI, however, showed increased strain on his subscapular muscle, prompting the decision for surgery.

The Rangers will not announce a timetable for recovery until the procedure has been completed, Sullivan notes, but Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News tweets that his expectation is for Profar to miss the entirety of the 2015 season. Grant also notes that doctors recommended surgery for Profar as far back as September.

Profar ranked as the consensus No. 1 prospect in baseball heading into the 2013 season, receiving that distinction from Baseball America, Baseball Prospectus, MLB.com and ESPN’s KeithLaw. He made his debut as a 20-year-old that season and homered in his first big league plate appearance, though he went on to struggle, relatively speaking, to a .234/.308/.366 batting line in 324 plate appearances that season. (That line, of course, is likely more than most 20-year-olds could muster at the MLB level.)

News of another likely serious injury is of course a crushing blow to the Rangers, their fans and Profar himself. However, Profar is still quite young, as he’ll turn 22 years of age tomorrow. In other words, despite being two years removed from ranking as the game’s top prospect, he’s still more than a year younger than Kris Bryant, who many believe to be baseball’s current top prospect. There’s plenty of time for Profar to recover and go onto a meaningful career, but it’s nonetheless troublesome to see injury problems of this extent at such a young age.

With Profar out of the picture and Luis Sardinas traded to the Brewers, the quartet of young middle infielders the Rangers had has now been reduced to Elvis Andrus, who will again man shortstop, and Rougned Odor, who will now likely fill the second base role unchallenged in 2015.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:11 PM   #23
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Commitment or Fear

Damn, there goes my dream of Andrus being shipped to the Yanks.
IndelibleScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:34 PM   #24
bombay
Ring of Famer

Pitchers and catchers from all teams will be in camp today.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:34 PM   #25
Blake Street Bomber
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
No freaking way on either. Phillies can suck it.
Do you think Boston can win a World Series with a rotation of Clay Buchholz, Wade Miley, Rick Porcello, Joe Kelly and Justin Masterson?

I agree with not trading Mookie Betts. However, I think Blake Swihart could be expendable based on what Christian Vazquez did last year with his defense.