The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2010, 12:18 PM   #1
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default Costner's device works.

Costner Cleanup Device Gets High Marks From BP

Fri Jun 25, 5:57 pm ET

It was treated as an oddball twist in the otherwise wrenching saga of the BP oil spill when Kevin Costner stepped forward to promote a device he said could work wonders in containing the spill's damage. But as Henry Fountain explains in the New York Times, the gadget in question an oil-separating centrifuge marks a major breakthrough in spill cleanup technology. And BP, after trial runs with the device, is ordering 32 more of the Costner-endorsed centrifuges to aid the Gulf cleanup.

Read more:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_ts2851
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2010, 12:25 PM   #2
crawdad
IL Oldest Bronco Maniac

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bay Bay

Great news!
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

That is awesome! I was afraid the whole thing was a joke when I first heard about it. I really appreciate Kevin Costner more, now that I know he's attempting to use his star power for a very tangible and decent act. Sounds like his brother has been working on this for a long long time though.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Cool, now can I go back to watching Dances With Wolves?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:28 PM   #5
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Cool, now can I go back to watching Dances With Wolves?
Nope, you're gonna have to watch Water World now. Sorry.

BigPlayShay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:31 PM   #6
Man-Goblin
Giving You The Business

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mister Cobble

Here's a picture of the device. Not sure what that thing is behind him.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:52 PM   #7
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post

It was treated as an oddball twist in the otherwise wrenching saga of the BP oil spill when Kevin Costner stepped forward to promote a device he said could work wonders in containing the spill's damage. But as Henry Fountain explains in the New York Times, the gadget in question an oil-separating centrifuge marks a major breakthrough in spill cleanup technology. And BP, after trial runs with the device, is ordering 32 more of the Costner-endorsed centrifuges to aid the Gulf cleanup.

Read more:
So what? We just centrifuge the entire Gulf of Mexico?
Attached Images

cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:54 PM   #8
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

If you haven't seen Mr. Brooks, fix this issue immediately. Easily my favorite movie of recent times.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:05 PM   #9
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post

Read more:
Sweet.....Can you tell us tomorrow what happened last Saturday?
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:05 PM   #10
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
If you haven't seen Mr. Brooks, fix this issue immediately. Easily my favorite movie of recent times.
Great flick. Although I hate Cook, so it's a happy ending.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:06 PM   #11
crowebomber
Ring of Famer

Old School Sucka Fool

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Frank Tripucka

Man couldn't somebody who isn't such a tool do something good like this instead of Costner? Now am I forced to like Kevin friggin Costner? Is Al Davis going cure cancer next?
crowebomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:11 PM   #12
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowebomber View Post
Man couldn't somebody who isn't such a tool do something good like this instead of Costner? Now am I forced to like Kevin friggin Costner? Is Al Davis going cure cancer next?
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:13 PM   #13
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

excellent. now get the A-Whale out there as well and we'll be cooking with gas...

Quote:
dailypress.com
Giant oil skimmer makes stop in Norfolk on way to Gulf oil cleanup
Peter Frost, pfrost@dailypress.com | 247-4744

Daily Press

10:24 PM EDT, June 25, 2010

NORFOLK

Advertisement

After making a brief stop in Norfolk for refueling, U.S. Coast Guard inspections and an all-out publicity blitz intended to drum up public support, a giant tanker billed as the world's largest oil skimming vessel set sail Friday for the Gulf of Mexico where it hopes to assist in the oil-cleanup effort.

The Taiwanese-owned, Liberian-flagged ship dubbed the "A Whale" stands 10 stories high, stretches 1,115 feet in length and has a nearly 200-foot beam. It displaces more water than an aircraft carrier.

Built in South Korea as a supertanker for transporting oil and iron ore, the six-month-old vessel was refitted in the wake of the BP oil spill with 12, 16-foot-long intake vents on the sides of its bow designed to skim oil off surface waters

The vessel's billionaire owner, Nobu Su, the CEO of Taiwanese shipping company TMT Group, said the ship would float across the Gulf "like a lawn mower cutting the grass," ingesting up to 500,000 barrels of oil-contaminated water a day.

But a number of hurdles stand in his way. TMT officials said the company does not yet have government approval to assist in the cleanup or a contract with BP to perform the work.

That's part of the reason the ship was tied to pier at the Virginia Port Authority's Norfolk International Terminals Friday morning. TMT and its public-relations agency invited scores of media, elected officials and maritime industry executives to an hour-long presentation about how the ship could provide an immediate boost to clean-up efforts in the Gulf.

TMT also paid to fly in Edward Overton, a professor emeritus of environmental sciences at Louisiana State University, to get a look at the massive skimmer.

Overton blasted BP and the federal government for a lack of effort and coordination in their dual oil-spill response and made a plea to the government to allow the A Whale to join the cleanup operation.

"We need this ship. We need this help," Overton said. "That oil is already contaminating our shoreline. We've got to get the ship out there and see if it works. There's only one way to find out: Get the damn thing in the gulf and we'll see."

TMT officials acknowledged that not even they're sure how well the new skimming method will work, noting that it appeared to perform well in limited testing last week.

"This concept has never been tried before," said Bob Grantham, a TMT project officer. "But we think we can do in maybe in a day and a half what these other crews have done in 66 days. We see the A Whale as adding another layer to the recovery effort."

Virginia Transportation Secretary Sean T. Connaughton said the McDonnell administration "still has great interest in offshore oil development in Virginia" and supports the A Whale's effort to assist in the cleanup.

To join the fight, the ship also might require separate waivers from the Coast Guard and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

The A Whale — pronounced along the lines of "A Team" because there is a "B Whale" coming — is designed to work 20 to 50 miles offshore where smaller skimmers have trouble navigating. The ship would take in oily water and transfer it into specialized storage tanks on the flanks of the vessel. From there, the oil-fouled seawater would be pumped into internal tanks where the oil would separate naturally from the water.

After the separation process, the oil would be transferred to other tankers or shore-based facilities while the remaining water would be pumped back into the gulf.

Because the process wouldn't remove all traces of oil from the seawater, TMT will likely have to gain a special permit from the EPA, said Scott H. Segal of the Washington lobbying firm, Bracewell &Giuliani, which TMT has retained to help negotiate with federal regulators.

"The simple answer is, we don't know what the discharge will look like until we can take A Whale out there and test it," Segal said. TMT will work with regulators to determine an appropriate level of oil that can be contained in the ship's discharge.

TMT also is firm is working with the Coast Guard to gain approval to operate in the gulf, which may require a waiver from a 90-year-old maritime act that restricts foreign-flagged vessels from operating in U.S. waters, said Bob Grantham, a TMT project officer.

Connaughton, the former federal Maritime Administrator, said he doesn't believe the A Whale would require a waiver from the Jones Act, a federal law signed in 1920 that sought to protect U.S. maritime interests.

Coast Guard inspectors toured the ship for about four hours on Thursday to determine the ship's efficacy and whether it was fit to be deployed, said Capt. Matthew Sisson, commanding officer of the Coast Guard's Research and Development arm in New London, Conn.

"We take all offers of alternative technology very seriously," Sisson said. The ship, he said, is "an impressive engineering feat."

He would not offer a timetable for Coast Guard approval of the vessel, but said he will try to "turn around a report … as soon as humanely possible."

Of course, even if the ship gains approval to operate in the gulf, its owners expect the company to be paid for its efforts.

"That's an open question," Segal said. "Obviously, (TMT) is a going concern and its people would need to be compensated for their time and effort."
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:28 PM   #14
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

GOD DAMNED HOLLYWOOD LIBERAL ELITES!!!!

I mean, awesome work!
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:33 PM   #15
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

All Costner is charging is that AMC show Water World as a marathon and replace the John Wayne weekend for this coming patriotic celebration on the 2nd to 4th. After all, did the Duke save the entire ecosystem of the Gulf of Mexico? I think not.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:40 PM   #16
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowebomber View Post
beat me to it...
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:40 PM   #17
Pontius Pirate
Ring of Famer

Headline should read...

"Costner's Device (Theoretically) Works - Still No Word On Whether It Actually Is Working In The Gulf"
Pontius Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:45 PM   #18
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontius Pirate View Post
Headline should read...

"Costner's Device (Theoretically) Works - Still No Word On Whether It Actually Is Working In The Gulf"
Hell, throw it out there as it can't make things worse, can it? BP's investing in it, not taxpayers, and I think it's officially 'worst case scenario time' in the Gulf.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #19
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Great news

The fact this device went unwanted for all these years speaks to the arrogance of the oil companies. I hope this event ruins BP after they make complete restitution
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:10 PM   #20
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli

If you trust the guy that made "The Postman" then you are ****ing crazy.
400HZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:31 PM   #21
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelbeef View Post
GOD DAMNED HOLLYWOOD LIBERAL ELITES!!!!

I mean, awesome work!
Actually I believe he is a republican. Not sure though. I know he's not a liberal from his time on bill mahers show. Either way it's cool if it works.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #22
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

This reminded me of when he drinks his pee.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:44 PM   #23
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
This reminded me of when he drinks his pee.

Last edited by baja; 06-28-2010 at 02:47 PM..
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:48 PM   #24
hambone13
Ring of Famer

Salty Lurking Vet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Great flik. It needs more hype so they will actually do the the other two movies that are poised to go should the market data be there.
hambone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:20 PM   #25
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Great news

The fact this device went unwanted for all these years speaks to the arrogance of the oil companies. I hope this event ruins BP after they make complete restitution

It actually speaks to the arrogance and inefficiency of government, which has slowed it down:

In his congressional testimony, Costner recounted his struggle to effectively market the centrifuge. He explained that although the machines are quite effective, they can still leave trace amounts of oil in the treated water that exceeds current environmental regulations. Because of that regulatory hurdle, he said, he had great difficulty getting oil industry giants interested without first having the approval of the federal government.

It's true, as Fountain notes in the Times, that innovation on spill technology has been hobbled in part by the reach of federal regulation though Fountain also notes that oil companies have elected to devote comparatively little money for researching cleanup devices in the intensely competitive industry.

Costner said that after the device was patented in 1993, he sought to overcome oil-company jitters by offering to allow U.S. oil concerns to use it on a trial basis. He'd extended the same offer to the Japanese government in 1997, he said, but got no takers there either.

Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote