The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2010, 10:46 AM   #1
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default Expanded regular season

So if they are going to extend the regular season to 18 games I think they should make other changes to accomodate the extended schedule, here are my suggestions:

1. Division winners would no longer be sure of a homefield game in the playoffs, although all 4 division winners would still make the playoffs regardless.

2. Remove the two conference games that depend on division positions from previous years and instead play 2 full divisions from the other conference. This means 6 games against own division, 4 against other division from same conference and 8 games against 2 divisions from other conference.

3. Reduce the preseason to 3 games.

4. Expand the active roster for games to 50 players and the total roster to 58 players.

5. Start a league with 8 teams that will be a farm league, each of the 8 teams will recieve players from 4 NFL teams, the 8 teams will play a 5 game regular season during the spring/early summer and semis and a championship game. The roster size will be 48 (12 from each NFL team).

6. Expand the practice squad to 10 players.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2010, 10:48 AM   #2
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Why do you want to play the majority of games against the other conference? That makes no sense.

I do like the idea of reducing the preseason by a game. I also think if they increase the schedule by two games they should add an extra bye week.

I like increasing the roster, but maybe just by five.

And the NFL needs a farm league pretty bad.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:10 AM   #3
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Why do you want to play the majority of games against the other conference? That makes no sense.

I do like the idea of reducing the preseason by a game. I also think if they increase the schedule by two games they should add an extra bye week.

I like increasing the roster, but maybe just by five.

And the NFL needs a farm league pretty bad.
It would be 10 games in conference and 8 out of conference. The other simple solution would obviously be to play 2 divisions in conference and only 1 division out of conference, but that 14 games in the AFC for us and only 4 out of it and I just feel that isn't as interesting. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing every NFC team on a 2 year basis.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:54 AM   #4
titan
Ring of Famer

Fan of Old School Football

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I like the expanded regular season idea but I saw they might still start the season after labor day. This means starting camps 2 weeks later than today and possibly 3 regular season games in January, with the Super Bowl being played mid to late February. I hope instead the NFL keeps the current schedule and in an 18 game schedule the openers would be the last week of August (2 preseason games in early/mid August)
titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Just cut the preseason games by two and keep it like it is.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:10 PM   #6
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbroncfan View Post
Just cut the preseason games by two and keep it like it is.
I agree...but it would be cool to see one other small change - get rid of the extra point kick and make the punters and kickers fight MMA style during half time for the extra points. It would be revolutionary for the NFL kicking game - and bring MMA to a very relatable level for the fanbase.
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:21 PM   #7
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Bronco View Post
I agree...but it would be cool to see one other small change - get rid of the extra point kick and make the punters and kickers fight MMA style during half time for the extra points. It would be revolutionary for the NFL kicking game - and bring MMA to a very relatable level for the fanbase.
We also need "ring girls" to hold up the cards between quarters.
Attached Images

cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:31 PM   #8
broncowill
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

if we are expanding the season we might need another buy to make sure we dont destroy the players
broncowill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #9
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
We also need "ring girls" to hold up the cards between quarters.
Might be a tough sell in Kansas City...

Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:41 PM   #10
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
So if they are going to extend the regular season to 18 games I think they should make other changes to accomodate the extended schedule, here are my suggestions:

1. Division winners would no longer be sure of a homefield game in the playoffs, although all 4 division winners would still make the playoffs regardless.

2. Remove the two conference games that depend on division positions from previous years and instead play 2 full divisions from the other conference. This means 6 games against own division, 4 against other division from same conference and 8 games against 2 divisions from other conference.

4. Expand the active roster for games to 50 players and the total roster to 58 players.

5. Start a league with 8 teams that will be a farm league, each of the 8 teams will recieve players from 4 NFL teams, the 8 teams will play a 5 game regular season during the spring/early summer and semis and a championship game. The roster size will be 48 (12 from each NFL team).

Well, ideas like this are hopefully being discussed as part of the CBA negotiations. I think an expanded reg season would be a cash bonus to the players since they'd get game day checks instead of the simple stipend they get now for a preseason game.

Hopefully, the owners and the union are getting creative about how they'll solve the impending work stoppage/lockout.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:21 PM   #11
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I think we should play our division rivals 3 times.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:40 PM   #12
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Do you really want to look at Phyllis Rivers ugly mug 4 times a year? the 3 times we play them and when they invariably get booted out of the playoffs and they are crowned the best team to not win a super bowl?
Old 06-28-2010, 05:10 PM   #13
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Make it four, it works out.

12 games in your own division. Home and away is balanced.

3 games against the teams that finished with the same divisional rank as you in the rest of the conference.

3 games against the teams that finished with the same divisional rank as you in the opposite conference, same divisions as conference opponents.

2 pre season games against opposite conference/same division teams split by division rankings. The top two teams play each other, the bottom two teams play each other
listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:33 PM   #14
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

I liked someone's idea on here keeping all games in conference:

You keep the six games against your division and the remaining 12 go against the rest of the conference. No inter-conference games outside of the Super Bowl.

That also eliminates the first place schedule, which I've never been a big fan of and also, these days it's only two games that differentiate a 1st place schedule anyway.

Another idea might be making it a seventeen game schedule instead of an eighteen game one and getting rid of the last pre-season game. No more .500 teams. You're either a winning team or a losing team. Seventeen games might also be an easier sell in regards to the CBA negotiations.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:47 PM   #15
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaneer View Post
I liked someone's idea on here keeping all games in conference:

You keep the six games against your division and the remaining 12 go against the rest of the conference. No inter-conference games outside of the Super Bowl.

That also eliminates the first place schedule, which I've never been a big fan of and also, these days it's only two games that differentiate a 1st place schedule anyway.

Another idea might be making it a seventeen game schedule instead of an eighteen game one and getting rid of the last pre-season game. No more .500 teams. You're either a winning team or a losing team. Seventeen games might also be an easier sell in regards to the CBA negotiations.
Unless you tie a game...

I don't like the all conference play, that is not the way to profile the superstars of the league, by preventing them from ever playing against half the teams.

I think every fan should be able to see the top stars in action.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:34 PM   #16
Lev Vyvanse
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post

I say start a league with 32 teams that will be a farm league. The teams will play a regular schedule (all games take place at the away team’s stadium the day before the "real" game). The championship game would be played in between the championship games and the super bowl.
Lev Vyvanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:55 PM   #17
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Soon they will lottery off the girl on round 5.

just text xxxx round 5.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:08 PM   #18
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

I think people underestimate the fact that a farm league would gain zero money essentially for an owner, and the fact there isn't as much talent out there as people think. Yes, some good players are out there that get cut, but do you really think a successful developmental league could survive? I don't think its necessary, and would bring any money in.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:12 PM   #19
Lev Vyvanse
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFoneco1331 View Post
I think people underestimate the fact that a farm league would gain zero money essentially for an owner, and the fact there isn't as much talent out there as people think. Yes, some good players are out there that get cut, but do you really think a successful developmental league could survive? I don't think its necessary, and would bring any money in.
I don't really care if they make money. More Broncos football = Good.
Lev Vyvanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:29 AM   #20
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
I completely disagree. Between the Canadian league, Arena, and all the upstart leagues, a minor football league of a handful of teams would be in the owner's best interest. It would allow for more player development and would be a popular, less expensive alternative. I think the demand is there and I bet you could run it where it would pay for itself after several years. Now a 32 team farm league is absolutely crazy and would be impossible to have. However 4-8 teams is completely doable.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:39 AM   #21
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I completely disagree. Now a 32 team farm league is absolutely crazy and would be impossible to have. However 4-8 teams is completely doable.
So long as one of those teams is located in Myrtle Beach, I can't see how the league could possibly fail.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:46 AM   #22
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
So long as one of those teams is located in Myrtle Beach, I can't see how the league could possibly fail.
The Myrtle Beach Eunuchs would be a fine team.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:44 PM   #23
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lev Vyvanse View Post
I say start a league with 32 teams that will be a farm league. The teams will play a regular schedule (all games take place at the away team’s stadium the day before the "real" game). The championship game would be played in between the championship games and the super bowl.
The problem with games going on during the regular season and even training camp is that the players can not learn the NFL playbook and won't get face time with the coaches during practices so they can move up to the regular roster in emergency.

That is why a small league that could play in the spring would allow people to be on the practice squad during the regular season, get that face time with the coaches and get their heads in the playbook.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:53 PM   #24
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
It really depends on the next CBA, but if they implement a rookie wage scale it would be easier to cut rookies and players would have shorter time to prove their worth, as we have seen some players are late bloomers and I think it would be in the leagues best interest to allow those slow developers to get some competive playing time.

In terms of bringing in money, I think there is money to be made from playing football in the spring, as it stands now, if start a football league right after the end of March madness, you are looking at competing with the early part of the MLB season, the end of the NHL regular season and beginning of NHL playoffs and the end of the NBA season and beginning of playoffs. 5 regular season games and 2 playoff weeks, that is about 2 months.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:50 AM   #25
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Farm teams wont happen due to the effects of injuries and the size of rookie contracts. Late round and undrafted FA's would fill out the rosters in the farm teams. The coaches see them play on the scout team in practice every day.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote