The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 05:10 AM   #1
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer
 
21s No Champ

Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,076

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15
Default Elway back in Broncos' grace

http://www.denverpost.com/broncoshea...mpaign=twitter

By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Posted: 06/27/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT


John Elway and Josh McDaniels loathe losing more than bare-knuckle champion Jim Corbett detested solar plexus punches and ancient Athenians hated solar eclipses.

Josh & John lost bad the other day.

As teammates for the first time, El and McD were beaten in a golf match at Cherry Hills Country Club by a pair of gadflies — Joe Ellis, Broncos chief operating officer, and Mark Thewes, the coach's assistant. "We lost by one," McDaniels said.

But the game was a win-win for the Broncos, McDaniels and Elway in a new partnership.

Ellis said Saturday: "I think the 4 hours John and Josh spent together was great for them and the franchise."

McDaniels said: "I've really enjoyed being around John. He means so much to the Broncos, Denver and the NFL. We've had fun, and I look forward to John having a relationship with the Broncos, Pat Bowlen and me well into the future."

Elway said: "I've gotten to know Josh, and I'd like to get to know him even better and assist him and the Broncos whatever way I can. Josh knows what he wants and how to get there."

Elway, who engineered more comebacks than any other quarterback in NFL history, wants one more comeback with the Broncos.

The Broncos want John to come back.

The Broncos and Elway have agreed that the Hall of Fame quarterback will be an asset with the team's business operations in "marketing initiatives," particularly in advance of the team's game in London, and will observe practices and consult with McDaniels on football matters.

This is a super development. It was too long coming. Lamentably, the Broncos and Elway have been estranged since he retired 11 years ago.

Elway will be a half-century old on Monday. He joined the Broncos more than a quarter-century ago. He was, and remains, the face of the franchise.

In our conversation about his 50th birthday, Elway was emphatic about "getting involved" with the Broncos again "and see where it goes from there."

Ellis said the Broncos and Elway have "low-keyed" his return, but Bowlen "is happy about John's interest. After all, John not only raised the Broncos to a championship level, but he was one of the few players responsible for raising the entire level of attention for the NFL.

"Of course, we want him involved with the Broncos. We want John coming to our headquarters, talking football and helping us in many different areas."

Echoing Elway's words, Ellis said: "We'll see where it leads."

McDaniels opens door

The Hall of Fame quarterback attended a recent minicamp workout (closed to the media, so it went unreported). McDaniels told me Saturday that Elway is "welcome any time to Dove Valley. I look forward to that as head coach. He is the greatest Bronco of all time and someone all our players should know and respect. We can benefit from John's knowledge, presence and experience."

John wasn't as welcomed before.

There was a breakdown between Elway and Mike Shana- han.

"Honestly, some things went on between Mike and me," said Elway, who wouldn't elaborate.

In 1984, Shanahan was brought in by Dan Reeves as a 32-year-old assistant (same age as McDaniels when he took the Broncos' head coaching job) to work specifically with Elway. The two became virtually inseparable, especially when Shanahan was elevated to offensive coordinator. Shanahan left in '87 to become head coach of the Raiders.

When Shanahan was fired abruptly in '89, Bowlen ordered Reeves to rehire him. But Reeves believed Shanahan and Elway secretly scripted plays behind his back. Shana- han was fired in 1991. In '95, he returned as head coach and reunited with Elway.

Elway said: "I told Mike I understood the relationship between head coach and player. My father (Jack) was a coach. I told him I wouldn't cross the line, but he made sure I didn't."

However, even after Shana- han and Elway won two Super Bowls (after losing three together) and John retired, the abyss widened, because Bowlen had shouted "this one's for John" after the first title, Shanahan didn't want Elway in an executive role, and if the coach won without Elway, that one would be for Shanahan.

So, John was persona non grata at Dove Valley until Mc- Daniels reached out to Elway.

"Don't need a job title"

At the end of Elway's career, Bowlen offered to sell him up to 20 percent of the ownership, and Elway eventually would become COO. Elway declined; he didn't want then to be a minority shareholder.

That proposed deal prompted former owner Edgar Kaiser, who had maneuvered the Elway acquisition, to file a lawsuit, claiming he had first right-of-refusal. Litigation dragged through federal and state courts for years before a final ruling in Bowlen's favor in 2007.

Elway would be willing if Bowlen made the offer again. They were owners (with Stan Kroenke) of the defunct Colorado Crush arena football team. "I did that because I wanted to be in football again," Elway said. "I got the experience on the ownership and personnel side, and I was ready for the NFL . . . Would I like to be part owner of the Broncos? Yes."

Bowlen repeatedly has said he will not sell the franchise.

With a new regime, Elway was enthused about ending the split.

"It's easier to be involved now. I don't need a job title. I don't want to call shots. It's not necessarily day-to-day, but if I can help Josh, Pat and Joe get this franchise back on track, that's important. It's just a matter of being the guy there who if you wanted a different point of view, I can give it."

Would he want to coach? "Oh, yeah. Being off to the side and working it that way . . . spending time with the quarterbacks and the offense."

Elway has been impressed with McDaniels. "He's considered too young at 34, and I was considered too old at 34. The players, I can tell you, don't give a rat's (behind) if he's 34 or 64. You want a man who can motivate, teach you, coach you to a championship. Josh can do that."

John also has linked up with Tim Tebow. "He texted me when he got to Denver. I watched him practice. I've talked to him. I like him a whole lot. People say he doesn't have the perfect release, but I didn't have a perfect release. You can fix that.

"When Tim came to my (birthday party), we had a long talk. What I told him is that in pro football, the window of accuracy is this small (he spreads his hands 18 inches), not this big (3 feet). Those complete passes in college are incompletions and interceptions in the NFL. You don't get better at accuracy in the weight room. You throw thousands of passes. He's got the natural talent and the smarts. But he's got to throw, throw, throw."

John threw for 56,439 yards (regular season and postseason) and set the record for quarterback victories.

Legendary No. 7 strives to come back to help the Broncos get back.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2010, 06:01 AM   #2
baja
Pat Bowlen
 
baja's Avatar
 
The best owner ever

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 58,882

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn
Default

Great read! I have been waiting for this article for years. I have been saying there was a problem between Shanahan and Elway for years and got roasted here for that take. It was obvious to me there was a problem because Elway was never around and you never saw Shanny and John doing events together it was unnatural. So to all you peeps that said I was crazy screw you.

So many interesting points in this article.

Quote:
However, even after Shana- han and Elway won two Super Bowls (after losing three together) and John retired, the abyss widened, because Bowlen had shouted "this one's for John" after the first title, Shanahan didn't want Elway in an executive role, and if the coach won without Elway, that one would be for Shanahan.
Quote:
This is a super development. It was too long coming. Lamentably, the Broncos and Elway have been estranged since he retired 11 years ago.
Quote:
Elway said: "I've gotten to know Josh, and I'd like to get to know him even better and assist him and the Broncos whatever way I can. Josh knows what he wants and how to get there."

Quote:
John wasn't as welcomed before.

There was a breakdown between Elway and Mike Shana- han.

"Honestly, some things went on between Mike and me," said Elway, who wouldn't elaborate.
Quote:
Elway has been impressed with McDaniels. "He's considered too young at 34, and I was considered too old at 34. The players, I can tell you, don't give a rat's (behind) if he's 34 or 64. You want a man who can motivate, teach you, coach you to a championship. Josh can do that."

The little man up stairs is gone, thank you Pat.



So what say you McDaniels bashers now?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:13 AM   #3
baja
Pat Bowlen
 
baja's Avatar
 
The best owner ever

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 58,882

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn
Default

Quote:
However, even after Shana- han and Elway won two Super Bowls (after losing three together) and John retired, the abyss widened, because Bowlen had shouted "this one's for John" after the first title, Shanahan didn't want Elway in an executive role, and if the coach won without Elway, that one would be for Shanahan.
Every Bronco fan should now be glad Shanahan and his ego have been run out of town by the " gutless drunk".

Thank you Mr.Bowlen and if you are a gutless drunk it is not for firing Mike Shanahan but for waiting way too long to do it.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:14 AM   #4
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,697

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

holy ****ing shanahan-ego. thats incredible, was he just straight jealous of elway?
tsiguy96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:32 AM   #5
baja
Pat Bowlen
 
baja's Avatar
 
The best owner ever

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 58,882

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn
Default

So how do you peeps reconcile you hero Shanahan treating your hero Elway like this.

I'd like to hear the righteous rev's take on this.

I'd like to hear the enraged So Cal's take on this.



I'd like to hear the author of the gutless drunk thread Taco John's take on this.


I'd say that Shanny and Snyder are a perfect match.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:41 AM   #6
baja
Pat Bowlen
 
baja's Avatar
 
The best owner ever

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 58,882

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn
Default

Was Bowlen afraid of Shanahan?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:01 AM   #7
TDmvp
Ring of Famer
 
TDmvp's Avatar
 
This ones for Pat...

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarsh615 View Post
the abyss widened, because Bowlen had shouted "this one's for John" .
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:05 AM   #8
baja
Pat Bowlen
 
baja's Avatar
 
The best owner ever

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 58,882

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmvp View Post
And the denial continues
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:09 AM   #9
Broncoman13
Broncoholic
 
Broncoman13's Avatar
 
JT #80

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 16,840

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius
Default

I've always agreed that something was wrong there. I'm not sold that there won't be a jealousy factor with the current regime though. Sounds like they are all willing to make it work and it appears that Elway isn't interested in taking someone's job... But I'm not convinced that guys like Ellis and McD would be interested in someone that Bowlen would favor so heavily. I'm glad everyone is willing to give it a shot and Elway is going about it the right way, not looking to take someone's job, but rather just create a role that supports the current structure. I also believe that this is an opening step for Elway to become part owner. This would help Bowlen in a huge way with financing some of these contracts. To me, this is the path forward that facilitates keeping guys like Champ, Doom and even Clady in Bronco uniforms.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:14 AM   #10
bowtown
Ring of Famer
 
bowtown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9,883

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer
Default

Woody just gave me a woody.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:15 AM   #11
Broncoman13
Broncoholic
 
Broncoman13's Avatar
 
JT #80

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 16,840

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius
Default

Btw Baja, in SD this weekend. Went fishing yesterday just west of Tj. Way choppy, but plenty of good fishing. Mainly 'cuda, guess it's a little early for Yellowtail? Menwhile, the fam was spending the weekend up in CCME. Tracking your new and old stomping grounds pretty well this weekend!

Going to watch Ubaldo dominate tomorrow night!
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:18 AM   #12
baja
Pat Bowlen
 
baja's Avatar
 
The best owner ever

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 58,882

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post
I've always agreed that something was wrong there. I'm not sold that there won't be a jealousy factor with the current regime though. Sounds like they are all willing to make it work and it appears that Elway isn't interested in taking someone's job... But I'm not convinced that guys like Ellis and McD would be interested in someone that Bowlen would favor so heavily. I'm glad everyone is willing to give it a shot and Elway is going about it the right way, not looking to take someone's job, but rather just create a role that supports the current structure. I also believe that this is an opening step for Elway to become part owner. This would help Bowlen in a huge way with financing some of these contracts. To me, this is the path forward that facilitates keeping guys like Champ, Doom and even Clady in Bronco uniforms.
Funny that so many here think that Shanny was a players coach and that MCD is a young ego driven power happy kid that is running off good players and as it turns out it was Shanahan that ran off the greatest Bronco player ever, John Elway. I am glad Josh is setting things right a Dove Valley.

It is going to be interesting to watch Snyder and Shanahan try to co exist, I give it 1 and change seasons before Shanny is out of football again.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:25 AM   #13
baja
Pat Bowlen
 
baja's Avatar
 
The best owner ever

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 58,882

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post
Btw Baja, in SD this weekend. Went fishing yesterday just west of Tj. Way choppy, but plenty of good fishing. Mainly 'cuda, guess it's a little early for Yellowtail? Menwhile, the fam was spending the weekend up in CCME. Tracking your new and old stomping grounds pretty well this weekend!

Going to watch Ubaldo dominate tomorrow night!
small world huh.

Good fishing to you bro.

I found a great Brazilian restaurant in SD it's on 4th Ave. near the mall. Buffet style unbelievable spread and quality all the way.

Here;

http://www.reidogado.net/
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:26 AM   #14
Miss I.
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Funny that so many here think that Shanny was a players coach and that MCD is a young ego driven power happy kid that is running off good players and as it turns out it was Shanahan that ran off the greatest Bronco player ever, John Elway. I am glad Josh is setting things right a Dove Valley.

It is going to be interesting to watch Snyder and Shanahan try to co exist, I give it 1 and change seasons before Shanny is out of football again.
Baja, not to be a dissenting voice...but who am I kidding, of course I am. But I don't believe all of that article is accurate and it's clearly a puff piece to support McD. There is no way Shanny was pissed about the "this one's for John." remark. That just seems inane somehow. Do I think he might have had a problem with Elway for whatever reason, yes, but I find it hard to believe it had anything to do with the Superbowl remark. I suspect at least part of the reason John was kept away was because Shanny wanted total control over his QBs and it would be hard to do that with a living legend around, which can certainly intimidate new QBs or usurp the authority of the HC.

Now, having said that, I do like McDaniels and think if he repairs the rift with Elway all the better.
Miss I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:30 AM   #15
dsmoot
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,705
Default

I like Mike Shanahan and John Elway and Pat Bowlen.

Just as it was time for Dan Reeves to go, it was time for Mike to go. The situation had run its course. Without the Superbowl victories, Mike's leash would have been at least 5 years less, just based on the on field and GM level performance following the 1999 season. When I watch the Redskin coverage with Mike, it is bittersweet for what he accomplished here in Denver.

When I watched Reeves after he left, not bittersweet because I really believe he lost his mind over his perceived level of control and the Elway saga. I do have tremendous respect for where he took the Bronco franchise during his tenure.

It was quite obvious that the Elway/Shanahan relationship was not good following his retirement just by listening to what wasn't being said.

I think Elway's reattachment to the Bronco organization is a tremendous accomplishment. I would love to see Tebow attach himself to him to speed up his learning curve. Tebow is a sponge and Elway is the man who has been through it all from high expectations to intense media scrutiny. That part of the relationship can be as positive as the on field learning. I know Elway comes from a coach's home so I hope that translates to an ability to communicate the things Tebow or Quinn need to learn.
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:31 AM   #16
baja
Pat Bowlen
 
baja's Avatar
 
The best owner ever

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 58,882

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss I. View Post
Baja, not to be a dissenting voice...but who am I kidding, of course I am. But I don't believe all of that article is accurate and it's clearly a puff piece to support McD. There is no way Shanny was pissed about the "this one's for John." remark. That just seems inane somehow. Do I think he might have had a problem with Elway for whatever reason, yes, but I find it hard to believe it had anything to do with the Superbowl remark. I suspect at least part of the reason John was kept away was because Shanny wanted total control over his QBs and it would be hard to do that with a living legend around, which can certainly intimidate new QBs or usurp the authority of the HC.

Now, having said that, I do like McDaniels and think if he repairs the rift with Elway all the better.
I think for once Woody nailed it.

BTW I'm amazed you can say all that with that thing in your mouth. j/k

Good job in getting Boob to step in it. You did what many have tried to do.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:34 AM   #17
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer
 
Wes Mantooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,836
Default

if I remember correctly, they quit hanging out around the time Elway had a divorce / sister died / Dad died.

Cause of the divide aside, this is great stuff! Can't wait to see him helping out!
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:35 AM   #18
Miss I.
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I think for once Woody nailed it.

BTW I'm amazed you can say all that with that thing in your mouth. j/k

Good job in getting Boob to step in it. You did what many have tried to do.
You know, now I have to go vomit, thanks for the image. Bastard J/k

But alas, I have to continue to disagree, I think dsmoot nailed it. Good job sir.
Miss I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:37 AM   #19
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!
 
theAPAOps5's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 29,121

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP
Default

Its hard to believe that Woody is off base when Elway is quoted in it saying things happened between he and Shanny. Woody can only report and more specifically quote someone if they are ok being on the record.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:43 AM   #20
Miss I.
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McApaOps5 View Post
Its hard to believe that Woody is off base when Elway is quoted in it saying things happened between he and Shanny. Woody can only report and more specifically quote someone if they are ok being on the record.
I don't disagree with that, but this part "However, even after Shana- han and Elway won two Super Bowls (after losing three together) and John retired, the abyss widened, because Bowlen had shouted "this one's for John" after the first title" was not a quote this was his conjecture. I don't think he was off base with the meat of the article, just the idea that one phrase contributed to the rift in any significant way.
Miss I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:52 AM   #21
CEH
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,921
Default

My take is a little simpler
There was a disagreement after Elway decided to retire
Snanny and his ego wanted to go for 3 in a row. Something that has never been done before. Mike's main purpose in life is to get that 3rd SB win so he can be in elite company. The reason why he was always reloading instead of rebuilding. He wanted #3 and Elway was his best way to get there. Plain and simple
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:52 AM   #22
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .
 
Cito Pelon's Avatar
 
Not2Shabby County Seat

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AFC Championshipville, NotTooShabby County
Posts: 16,245

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss I. View Post
Baja, not to be a dissenting voice...but who am I kidding, of course I am. But I don't believe all of that article is accurate and it's clearly a puff piece to support McD. There is no way Shanny was pissed about the "this one's for John." remark. That just seems inane somehow. Do I think he might have had a problem with Elway for whatever reason, yes, but I find it hard to believe it had anything to do with the Superbowl remark. I suspect at least part of the reason John was kept away was because Shanny wanted total control over his QBs and it would be hard to do that with a living legend around, which can certainly intimidate new QBs or usurp the authority of the HC.

Now, having said that, I do like McDaniels and think if he repairs the rift with Elway all the better.
Well, one has to remember this is Woody Paige. He plays fast and loose with the truth. With Woody, you have to always think to yourself, "MAYBE this is true, MAYBE that is true". Dude is like an infomercial in print.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:55 AM   #23
baja
Pat Bowlen
 
baja's Avatar
 
The best owner ever

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 58,882

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McApaOps5 View Post
Its hard to believe that Woody is off base when Elway is quoted in it saying things happened between he and Shanny. Woody can only report and more specifically quote someone if they are ok being on the record.
Bingo

Yet people still find a way to deny the truth.

I guess the ass Elway is lying about what happened.

First he dissed reeves and now he goes after the Deity Shanahan.

Maybe the big man really is is the little man up stairs......
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:56 AM   #24
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.
 
Rulon Velvet Jones's Avatar
 
Tight Butthole

Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 6,665

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC
Default

McDaniels is an egomaniac! He's killing this team! Patriots!
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:59 AM   #25
baja
Pat Bowlen
 
baja's Avatar
 
The best owner ever

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 58,882

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Well, one has to remember this is Woody Paige. He plays fast and loose with the truth. With Woody, you have to always think to yourself, "MAYBE this is true, MAYBE that is true". Dude is like an infomercial in print.
Like Aba said woody directly quotes Elway saying there was a problem. Too that is just stating the obvious.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:21 AM.


Denver Broncos