The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2010, 02:09 PM   #1
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard
Default Best of AFC West - 1998 Broncos - Burger Bill Rehas

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/13794/

Best Broncos Team Ever: 1998
June, 25, 2010 Jun 2511:45AM ETEmail Print Comments63 By Bill WilliamsonNotable players: QB John Elway, RB Terrell Davis, WRs Rod Smith and Ed McCaffrey, TE Shannon Sharpe, OT Tony Jones, C Tom Nalen, G Mark Schlereth, DE Neil Smith, DE Trevor Pryce, LB Bill Romanowski, LB John Mobley, S Steve Atwater, K Jason Elam.

Analysis: This was a great all-time NFL team. In 2007, the NFL Network ranked the team as the 12th-best Super Bowl winner.

Terrell Davis gained 2,008 rushing yards in 1998, just one of six 2,000-yard seasons in NFL history.The 1998 Broncos followed up their magical 1997 season, in which they were a surprise Super Bowl winner, with a surgically precise team. The Broncos were masterful in every aspect of the game. Elway led the Broncos during his final NFL season, which culminated in an MVP-winning performance in an easy 34-19 win over Atlanta in the Super Bowl.

The Broncos won their first 13 games and finished the regular season 14-2. The only game Denver lost that it truly tried to win was its 14th game, a last-moment loss to the Giants at The Meadowlands. The Broncos were never challenged during three postseason wins. Known for not having the best supporting casts for much of his career, Elway enjoyed the benefit of a stunning running game and a nasty, fierce defense in his final season.

Running back Terrell Davis ran for 2,008 yards, which was then the third-highest rushing total in NFL history. He won the NFL MVP award that season.

When Davis’ hard, downhill running in coach Mike Shanahan's brilliant zone-blocking scheme was combined with the elegance of Elway passing to Smith, McCaffrey and the game-changing Sharpe, Denver was breathtaking to watch on offense.

AFC West: Best teams ever
• 1998 Denver Broncos
• 1969 Kansas City Chiefs
• 1976 Oakland Raiders
• 2006 San Diego Chargers

Defensively, this mean, nasty group always seemed to come up with the big play. Things rarely went wrong for this team. It simply steamrolled through the season.

“We were stacked,” said Elam, who tied an NFL record with a 63-yard field goal during the season. “I remember us routinely being up by three touchdowns at the end of the first quarter and we knew it was over … It was a dream season.”

Most impressive win: The 34-19 victory over the Atlanta Falcons in Super Bowl XXXIII. The supremely focused Broncos never truly let the Falcons in the game. It was a perfect ending to a near-perfect season.

Businessmen: People around this team always talk about how serious it was. Unlike the 1997 season in which Denver had to fight and scrap every step of the way for its first Super Bowl championship, winning it all was a foregone conclusion all season in 1998.

The Broncos were focused on winning the Super Bowl all season. After the win over Atlanta, there were no wild celebrations. Sure, players were happy. But they were businesslike. It was a different scene from the euphoric celebration that followed the team’s win over heavily favored Green Bay the year before. It was as if the 1998 title was expected all season.

Honorable mention:

1977: Red Miller’s 12-2 outfit was strong, but it was no match for the Cowboys in the Super Bowl.

1996: The memory of this team still stings in Denver. The Broncos were a great team, perhaps better than the 1998 outfit, but it lost at home in the divisional playoff round to Jacksonville, ruining everything good associated with this team.

1997: This is probably the most popular Denver team ever. It fought its way to the franchise’s first Super Bowl win as a wild-card team. The words “This one is for John” will never be forgotten in the Rocky Mountains.

Last edited by Irish Stout; 06-25-2010 at 02:25 PM..
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2010, 02:20 PM   #2
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

That 1998 team was magic.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:21 PM   #3
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

I dont know about unchallenged in the playoffs in 1998...That first half of the Jets game was a little rough.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #4
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

"The Broncos were never challenged during three postseason wins."

Um, the Jets game felt an awful lot like a challenge. It was 10-0 Jets early in the 3rd Quarter, and the wind was brutal.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:30 PM   #5
crush17
"Born A Broncos Fan"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rick Upchurch

God I hate Bill Williamson.
crush17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:45 PM   #6
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
God I hate Bill Williamson.
I agree. I do not understand how he a) got a job at the Denver Post, then b) upgraded to ESPN. He sucks and it never looks like hes making an effort.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:46 PM   #7
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

give bill a break this time......he didn't move to denver until the 2004 season
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:16 PM   #8
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Yeah that first half of the jets game was rough, but by mid fourth quarter, the game wasnt in doubt. But he's right, the broncos absolutely rolled through that season. often times games were over by halftime. I remember a sound clip of Derek Loville saying something like "its not easy being defending champs, we just make it look good." (something like that). True that.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:26 PM   #9
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Connor Barth

The '97 Broncos, and possilby the '96 Broncos, would have smoked the other 3 teams on that list.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:26 PM   #10
BroncoLifer
Living the Dream

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

"Most impressive win: The 34-19 victory over the Atlanta Falcons in Super Bowl XXXIII."

No. The demolition of Miami in the 1st Round was more impressive. People forget that Atlanta moved the ball pretty well most of the game - they just didn't cash in their opportunities.

I think the regular season Monday night game in KC was more impressive as well. Like it was impressive how many personal fouls the Chiefs could commit on one drive.....
BroncoLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:34 PM   #11
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Didn't Denver lose the coin toss and Shanahan, brilliantly, chose to take the ball against the wind so they would have it with the wind in the 2nd half? Elway did not have a good day that day (the wind), TD did, and the defense was awesome holding the Jets to 14 yards on 13 carries. After winning the SB that year it was kind of like "yep, just like I thought".
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:34 PM   #12
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
I dont know about unchallenged in the playoffs in 1998...That first half of the Jets game was a little rough.

That's just because we were scoreboard watching for the first half. Once we realized we had to actually win and turned on the jets, it was over.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:59 PM   #13
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoLifer View Post
"Most impressive win: The 34-19 victory over the Atlanta Falcons in Super Bowl XXXIII."

No. The demolition of Miami in the 1st Round was more impressive. People forget that Atlanta moved the ball pretty well most of the game - they just didn't cash in their opportunities.

I think the regular season Monday night game in KC was more impressive as well. Like it was impressive how many personal fouls the Chiefs could commit on one drive.....
Atlanta moved the ball well early but the turnovers and thinking that John couldn't hurt them cost them. They were done by halftime and it would have been worse without the Atlanta Kick return in the 4th Q.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:31 PM   #14
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

No thanks to Tito -MFing- Paul
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:36 PM   #15
BroncoLifer
Living the Dream

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Atlanta moved the ball well early but the turnovers and thinking that John couldn't hurt them cost them. They were done by halftime and it would have been worse without the Atlanta Kick return in the 4th Q.
Just looked it up - Falcons had the ball inside our 30 seven different times (not including the kickoff return).
BroncoLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:37 PM   #16
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipCorrington25 View Post
No thanks to Tito -MFing- Paul

Its not all his fault. The team just did not play all that well that day. He just happened to be the dongbag who gave up the last second TD...

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:41 PM   #17
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Still think that '97 team was better than the '98 team, Zim/T Jones vs T Jones/Harry Swayne being one of my main reasons.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:38 PM   #18
briane
Seasoned Veteran

http://www.privatepostmark.com

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I was there at that super bowl. went with a charter tour thing. We were supposed to be back at the bus 10 minutes after the game. I was so pumped, I just stood there and was taking pictures and soaking it all in. Missed the bus, got caught out in the rain, had to get a taxi to drive us around looking for an empty hotel room. found one at about 1am, was soaked to the bone, with no clothes and no money. It was a great night!

How freekin stupid were the "dirty birds"!

Here are a couple of pics I took of the scoreboard after the game, during interviews.

Last edited by briane; 06-25-2010 at 10:41 PM..
briane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:57 PM   #19
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoLifer View Post

We destroyed Atlanta. It was 31-6 in the 4th. 1998 Broncos were the greatest football team since 1990. Almost a quarter century.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:25 AM   #20
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The '98 may have been better, but the '97 team was much more meaningful to me.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:13 AM   #21
LRtagger
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

"This was a great all-time NFL team."

Bill is a worse all-time NFL writer.
LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:49 AM   #22
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
The '98 may have been better, but the '97 team was much more meaningful to me.
I agree. Beating the Packers as two TD dogs and John getting hoisted was the best.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:38 AM   #23
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Its not all his fault. The team just did not play all that well that day. He just happened to be the dongbag who gave up the last second TD...

Agreed, letting Gary ******* Brown run all over them that day was the killer.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:27 AM   #24
Smilin Assassin
Tradition

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
Didn't Denver lose the coin toss and Shanahan, brilliantly, chose to take the ball against the wind so they would have it with the wind in the 2nd half? Elway did not have a good day that day (the wind), TD did, and the defense was awesome holding the Jets to 14 yards on 13 carries.
I remember that game turning on one play: Eddie Mac and Rod lined up on the wrong side of the field for the play that was called, when Eddie went in motion to fix it, Elway sent him back, liking what the defense showed.

The safety bit on an underneath route and Eddie got behind the D & Elway hit him despite the crazy wind. It was all downhill from there. Total different game.

Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote