The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel
 
Doggcow's Avatar
 
http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,957

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default My new dog

I just got Rebel from a Breeder yesterday. He is 8 months old. I wanted a little bit older so I wouldn't have to go through puppy problems. He's blowing coat right now, so he's a little pale, but he will fluff up and get more red in a week or so

And he is the ****.
Attached Images
   
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sun and Beachville
Posts: 14,066

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Nice dog. Interesting people still get dogs at breeders though. Not criticizing at all but was it a issue of a specific breed you wanted that made it worthwhile?

Also, pics are huge!
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:40 PM   #3
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel
 
Doggcow's Avatar
 
http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,957

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
Nice dog. Interesting people still get dogs at breeders though. Not criticizing at all but was it a issue of a specific breed you wanted that made it worthwhile?

Also, pics are huge!
Sorry about the big pics, didn't realize they'd be that big off my phone.

When you buy a dog from a breeder you aren't just buying a dog, you're buying superior genetics, along with having a decent idea what their temperament will be.

I'm not saying getting one from a breeder is better than one from the pound etc. Definitely better than Petco puppy farms though...

Also, I wanted a Shiba, and they essentially aren't available from anyone but a breeder.

Also included in my purchase price is lifetime kenneling, lifetime grooming, and lifetime daycare.

So why wouldn't YOU buy a dog from a breeder?
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:12 PM   #4
Steve Prefontaine
Ring of Famer
 
Steve Prefontaine's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,402

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

nice pup. congrats man
Steve Prefontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:16 PM   #5
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza
 
Baba Booey's Avatar
 
HURRY HURRY!

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: North of the Wall
Posts: 2,041

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Nice pup man. Cool name too.
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:21 PM   #6
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sun and Beachville
Posts: 14,066

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
Sorry about the big pics, didn't realize they'd be that big off my phone.

When you buy a dog from a breeder you aren't just buying a dog, you're buying superior genetics, along with having a decent idea what their temperament will be.

I'm not saying getting one from a breeder is better than one from the pound etc. Definitely better than Petco puppy farms though...

Also, I wanted a Shiba, and they essentially aren't available from anyone but a breeder.

Also included in my purchase price is lifetime kenneling, lifetime grooming, and lifetime daycare.

So why wouldn't YOU buy a dog from a breeder?
The lifetime benefits are huge. That is something I've never heard of but it freakin' awesome.

And, again, I wasn't trying to take a shot but you just don't hear about folks paying hundreds of dollars for a dog like they once did. Very few dogs are used for anything more than a simple family pet so something from the pound is generally sufficient. For me and my family, we forego the superior genes in rabbit hunting dogs for the $20 dog where the fella down the road just had a litter. It's all about what you want and obviously the more educated you are on it, the more likely that it's beneficial to pay the extra for what you want. Just definitely seems breeding dogs isn't as profitable as it was 15 years ago.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:34 PM   #7
Quoydogs
I can fix it .
 
Quoydogs's Avatar
 
Here's Johnny !

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 3,565

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
Nice dog. Interesting people still get dogs at breeders though. Not criticizing at all but was it a issue of a specific breed you wanted that made it worthwhile?

Also, pics are huge!
I always buy pure breeds. I like to hunt and by getting a pure bred I can get exactly what I am looking for and I also find in my case, not in all cases that they have less health problems,.hip displasia(sp) ect...

My wiemaraner is 8 years old had a small skin allergy that was it and My Vizsla is 10 months with no problems as of yet.

I not saying mixed breeds are bad by any means just that Pure breeds have there place.
Here are couple of shots of my boys.

Oh and hey I like your dog. Does it have fox mixed in it?

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/attachm...1&d=1277357606

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/attachm...1&d=1277357640
Attached Images
  

Last edited by Quoydogs; 06-23-2010 at 10:40 PM..
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:43 PM   #8
Lev Vyvanse
Ring of Famer
 
Lev Vyvanse's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 3,048
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
So why wouldn't YOU buy a dog from a breeder?
The millions of dogs euthanized each year. Thats the only reason that comes to mind.
Lev Vyvanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:44 PM   #9
Donk
Free Agent
 
Donk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sun City CA.
Posts: 414

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bob Scarpitto
Default

Is there a pure breed dog?
Donk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:50 PM   #10
Lev Vyvanse
Ring of Famer
 
Lev Vyvanse's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 3,048
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donk View Post
Is there a pure breed dog?
Lev Vyvanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:56 PM   #11
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 10,063

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Easy boy, easy. Nice doggy.




Last edited by ZONA; 06-23-2010 at 10:58 PM..
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:49 PM   #12
Los Broncos
Broncos Country
 
Los Broncos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Eastern Utah
Posts: 18,737

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady
Default

Nice dog there, how long does it take for a dog like that to adjust to his new home?
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:58 AM   #13
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,707

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lev Vyvanse View Post
The millions of dogs euthanized each year. Thats the only reason that comes to mind.
you do understand that breeders are really the only place you should get a new dog, right?

unless you are getting one from the pound, the breeder is the only place to buy a dog since they arent puppy farming them, you can see the parents, you know the dogs have been cared for etc.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:01 AM   #14
HILife
Ring of Famer
 
HILife's Avatar
 
Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: DC - NOVA - DMV - VA - Take your pick
Posts: 4,408
Default

cute dog. i'm hunger.
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:39 AM   #15
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Touched By God

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,689
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
you do understand that breeders are really the only place you should get a new dog, right?

unless you are getting one from the pound, the breeder is the only place to buy a dog since they arent puppy farming them, you can see the parents, you know the dogs have been cared for etc.
h, what? The only place to buy a dog is the breeder. Unless it's from the pound. Then it's okay too?

Both my dogs have been from the pound. They're great mixed-breed dogs, excellent temperament (much of that is nurture, not nature; it's hard work, but worth it), smart, and have been trained well by me.
__________________
Nobody puts Jay-bee in the corner.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:56 AM   #16
HorseHead
Ring of Famer
 
HorseHead's Avatar
 
Stay thirsty my friends..

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,403

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bay Bay
Default

Shiba Inu's rule!! I've had two...let me know if you have any questions. Don't let him off that leash! They're 1/2 feral...if he see's a squirrel he's gone....
HorseHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:59 AM   #17
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sun and Beachville
Posts: 14,066

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Make sure we're not turning this guy's thread into a pound vs breeder moral debate. I was just curious why he went breeder and the benefits but it's his thread to show off his dogs, don't crap on it.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:11 AM   #18
misturanderson
Ring of Famer
 
Why not?

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Diago
Posts: 1,783

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
I always buy pure breeds. I like to hunt and by getting a pure bred I can get exactly what I am looking for and I also find in my case, not in all cases that they have less health problems,.hip displasia(sp) ect...
While purebreds are probably the better way to go when you have a specific task (ie. hunting) in mind for them because they have been bred for that specific task, pure bred dogs certainly don't have fewer health problems, quite the opposite in fact. You will be less likely to get major health problems if you get them from a good breeder, but you are still choosing from a much smaller gene pool when you get a purebred and with that comes a host of hereditary health problems. Fortunately it sounds like you haven't experienced any of these.

Some breeds like german shepherds and doberman's are notoriously prone to genetic issues, while others aren't as much. It usually is a result of inbreeding years and years ago in the most popular lines.

That's not to say that mixed breed dogs don't have health problems caused by genetics, but it is much more rare.

And just an aside about hip dysplasia, while it definitely has a genetic component, there is also a major dietary component to it. Some dogs have a genetic predisposition to hip dysplasia and in the worst cases they will get it no matter what. Many dogs that have hip dysplasia though, have it because they were allowed to grow too fast by either not using large breed puppy food or by being fed too much as puppies. Many cases of hip dysplasia (and honestly most bone and joint problems in young dogs) can be prevented, or at least reduced in severity, by keeping puppies slightly underweight until they are fully grown.

Last edited by misturanderson; 06-24-2010 at 06:23 AM..
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:18 PM   #19
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel
 
Doggcow's Avatar
 
http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,957

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donk View Post
Is there a pure breed dog?
He is a pure breed Shiba Inu.

They are a Spitz breed so they do look like foxes, also the red coat.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:21 PM   #20
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,650
Default

Very close in genetics to my Jindo's Dogcow. Great dogs those spitz breeds are. Very hardy and loyal. My Jindo is 12 and has been to the vet exactly 1 time for an ear infection. She is still running but starting to hear things that aren't there etc etc sometimes. Probably can't see as well as she used to.

Man I am going to be depressed when my Tara passes on. She was born on same day as me and is named after Tara Lipinski when she won the gold in 1998.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:22 PM   #21
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel
 
Doggcow's Avatar
 
http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,957

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Clady View Post
Nice dog there, how long does it take for a dog like that to adjust to his new home?
He's adjusting slowly. Yesterday (his first full day home) he was a little timid, spent most of the day watching me from the bedroom (where he slept). Today he's about 6 feet closer.

He has been exceptionally calm about the whole ordeal, just watching and taking the new place in. He's only moderately playful at this point, and I assume it's because he is still adjusting, he was pretty playful at the breeder's house.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:23 PM   #22
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,650
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by misturanderson View Post
While purebreds are probably the better way to go when you have a specific task (ie. hunting) in mind for them because they have been bred for that specific task, pure bred dogs certainly don't have fewer health problems, quite the opposite in fact. You will be less likely to get major health problems if you get them from a good breeder, but you are still choosing from a much smaller gene pool when you get a purebred and with that comes a host of hereditary health problems. Fortunately it sounds like you haven't experienced any of these.

Some breeds like german shepherds and doberman's are notoriously prone to genetic issues, while others aren't as much. It usually is a result of inbreeding years and years ago in the most popular lines.

That's not to say that mixed breed dogs don't have health problems caused by genetics, but it is much more rare.

And just an aside about hip dysplasia, while it definitely has a genetic component, there is also a major dietary component to it. Some dogs have a genetic predisposition to hip dysplasia and in the worst cases they will get it no matter what. Many dogs that have hip dysplasia though, have it because they were allowed to grow too fast by either not using large breed puppy food or by being fed too much as puppies. Many cases of hip dysplasia (and honestly most bone and joint problems in young dogs) can be prevented, or at least reduced in severity, by keeping puppies slightly underweight until they are fully grown.
Depends what breed you want. Some breeds have a reputation for genetic problems. The problems people worry about most from shelters is mental. You get crazy animals that aren't well adjusted.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:25 PM   #23
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,650
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
He's adjusting slowly. Yesterday (his first full day home) he was a little timid, spent most of the day watching me from the bedroom (where he slept). Today he's about 6 feet closer.

He has been exceptionally calm about the whole ordeal, just watching and taking the new place in. He's only moderately playful at this point, and I assume it's because he is still adjusting, he was pretty playful at the breeder's house.
If they are like Jindos he is missing his home. They attach very fast. He will adjust though in time. I was the first human to hold my doggie so she bonded with me first. That's what I like about my dog. She loves people and remembers them, but if she doesn't know you she won't even take food from you.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:31 PM   #24
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel
 
Doggcow's Avatar
 
http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,957

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Very close in genetics to my Jindo's Dogcow. Great dogs those spitz breeds are. Very hardy and loyal. My Jindo is 12 and has been to the vet exactly 1 time for an ear infection. She is still running but starting to hear things that aren't there etc etc sometimes. Probably can't see as well as she used to.

Man I am going to be depressed when my Tara passes on. She was born on same day as me and is named after Tara Lipinski when she won the gold in 1998.
Yeah, his momma was the #1 Shiba in JKC history, dad has won a few AOM's etc.

Sire: Kairi Go Ryukyu Uruma
Dam: Tomi No Chaka Go Ryuukyuu Uruma

I got him a little older because she was going to show him, but he turned out a little more playful than she wanted. Going to be doing Agility training with him soon.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:37 PM   #25
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel
 
Doggcow's Avatar
 
http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,957

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
If they are like Jindos he is missing his home. They attach very fast. He will adjust though in time. I was the first human to hold my doggie so she bonded with me first. That's what I like about my dog. She loves people and remembers them, but if she doesn't know you she won't even take food from you.
Yeah, like I said, i got mine a little older because he was going to be a show dog, and it works better for me (I get to skip the puppy chewing/annoying phase lol), but he will take a little longer to bond. He has already done pretty well to adjust, he already knows where his new home is, and has no problem leading me back at the end of a walk.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:39 AM.


Denver Broncos