The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2010, 12:49 PM   #1
bronclvr
Ring of Famer

She is faster than you! 8.39 @ 156

Default Champ Bailey waiting for an offer from the Broncos

A couple days ago we noted that Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey has just one year remaining on his contract, and that an extension hadn't become an issue largely because Bailey hadn't made any noise about it.

But now Bailey's agent is making some noise.

The rest of the Story is here:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...cos/?related=1
bronclvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2010, 12:53 PM   #2
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

meh....there are draft picks and Doom to focus on first.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:56 PM   #3
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

He's made it to the last (and heavily backloaded) year of his contract. I'm sure he's not "worried" about money, at least in the short term.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Hey Champ:

Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:33 PM   #5
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC

I love PFT comments. All are pure gold.
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:36 PM   #6
Smilin Assassin
Tradition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
He's made it to the last (and heavily backloaded) year of his contract. I'm sure he's not "worried" about money, at least in the short term.
Agreed. I think just as we saw the recent articles, his agent has, too.

Took the media writing a speculation piece to wake his agent up and get him to do his job.
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:38 PM   #7
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

he will have made over 22 million dollars the last 2 seasons, he will be just fine until doom is taken care of.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:46 PM   #8
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

The media is pounding this issue over the past 2 days because of that Denver Post article.

Jebus.
crush17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:40 PM   #9
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Football and the NFL are in for a big change...we all gotta come to grips with the idea that if the CBA doesn't get resolved, we may see entire teams dropping their rosters. It may get that nasty and you may see some strikes. These guys don't do this for our personal enjoyment, they do it to make money on both sides. No agreement on the money could mean no money period.

Traditionally football has always excelled in times of recessions leaving baseball and basketball to struggle. I hope the owners and players get past the greed and get on with it but I don't think they'll get anywhere by just giving it one offseason to find a resolution. Paying any football player 10.0-30.0 million a year is just simply ridiculous - don't care who it is, he's overpriced. Don't forget the plentiful endorsement opportunities also.

Last edited by Vegas_Bronco; 06-23-2010 at 03:44 PM..
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:21 PM   #10
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Broncos will have to deal with Bailey decision

By Mike Klis
The Denver Post

Posted: 06/23/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT
Updated: 06/23/2010 04:53:24 PM MDT

Imagine a Broncos defense, struggling as it has the past four years, without its future Hall of Famer at left cornerback.
It could happen as soon as next season unless the Broncos work out a new deal with Champ Bailey, who is in the final year of his contract.
"Are we disappointed the Broncos have not approached us about a contract extension? Obviously, we are," said Jack Reale, Bailey's agent. "A player of Champ's caliber deserves to have the option of an extended contract. This is a guy who essentially was a six-time Pro Bowler (if not for an injury in 2008) in his six years there. Anyone with any kind of football knowledge knows his skills have not diminished, as evidenced by the fact he didn't allow one touchdown in 80 passes thrown his way last year, played in 98 percent of the snaps and remains one of the best-tackling cornerbacks in the game."

Move over, Elvis. Broncos owner Pat Bowlen's pencil pushers will have to get creative if they want to keep both star pass rusher Elvis Dumervil and Bailey beyond the 2010 season.
Dumervil, who led the NFL with 17 sacks last year, recently signed his one-year, $3.168 million restricted free-agent tender for the 2010 season but is hoping for a multiyear contract north of the $12.5 million annual average of the league's top 10 pass rushers.
Bailey is finishing up a seven-year, $63 million contract that will pay him $13 million in roster bonus ($3 million), workout bonus ($500,000) and salary ($9.5 million) this year.
However, Dumervil needs the NFL and the players union to negotiate a new collective bargaining agreement before he gains the leverage of unrestricted free agency.
CBA or no CBA, Bailey can sell his services to the league's highest bidder at season's end.
"We hope the Broncos come to us sooner rather than later about a contract extension before the die is cast in another direction," Reale said. The Broncos had no comment.
To those concerned that Bailey, who turned 32 on Tuesday, is getting old by cornerback standards, consider the Broncos have another 32-year-old cornerback Andre Goodman who has four seasons left on his contract.

What could help the Broncos in their negotiations with Bailey is his willingness to convert to safety in another two or three years, much as Rod Woodson and Troy Vincent did at the end of their NFL careers.
With safety a lower-paying position than cornerback, the Broncos may be able to work out a four- or five-year extension with Bailey at less than the $13 million he would make this year.
Bailey's best statistical seasons were in 2005, when he all but carried the Broncos to a 13-3 record and the AFC championship game, and 2006, when he combined for 19 interceptions including playoff games, 401 interception return yards and two touchdowns.
Bailey's interceptions have declined since; opposing quarterbacks rarely threw in his direction during the 2007 and 2008 seasons. He was tested more frequently in 2009.

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:05 PM   #11
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Boy, when was the last time you saw a guy get a big-money long-term deal of which he sees every year and every penny without it being restructured once?
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:19 PM   #12
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
Boy, when was the last time you saw a guy get a big-money long-term deal of which he sees every year and every penny without it being restructured once?
I was thinking that same thing
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:54 PM   #13
Que
Gettin' some

Just the tip

13 million this year aint too shabby. I say 3 year extension though. Bad year to be negotiating an extension.
Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:10 PM   #14
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

I would love to see Bailey at Safety. It is getting hard for teams to take away a side of the field with one guy with all the presnap reads and spread O influence.

The west coast was about timing and balance and routes and now the Spread and it's routes based on pre-snap reads take away the skill of CB's like Bailey and even Revis.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:37 PM   #15
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Bailey will get paid. but right now he is not the main priority.

more importantly though... bronclvr who in the world is the chick in your avatar?
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:17 PM   #16
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
Bailey will get paid. but right now he is not the main priority.

more importantly though... bronclvr who in the world is the chick in your avatar?
he won't get paid huge money from Denver. if he gets top CB money he won't be in Denver, if he wants to stay in Denver and take a "hometown discount" he might be back, but i wouldn't bet on his return to Denver.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:11 PM   #17
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Personally, I would be surprised if the Broncos offered him another high salary long term extension. The way we've put together the roster at DB strongly suggests that the philosophy is that we're going to go veteran-heavy in the short term to buy time so that we can compile young talent in the long term. Look at the contracts they gave out last year. They were ALL to guys over 30. 2 of the 3 contracts were short term and and at a bargain price (there is an out after 2 years for Dawkins deal, Hill got a paltry 3m SB and only 10M in total over four years, the last year of which and maybe the 2nd to last year of which he probably won't see, only Goodman's contract can be reasonably described as moderately expensive).

If you look at what the team did in the draft the last few years, its quite evident that they made a decision to completely restock the cupboard at DB using both high quality assets (trades of future 1st rounders) as well as devoting sheer quantity of selections to that area. They invested two relatively high mid round picks at safety last year in McBath and Bruton and took Smith in the early 2nd. While everyone was fawning over the high profile flashy stuff like drafting Knowshon Moreno and Robert Ayers, the team strongly signaled that there will soon be great turnover at DB. That trend continued this year. Alot of people thought they might address LB depth some more with their defensive selections, but they basically eschewed that approach by going back to corner with Cox and Thompson. I suspect one could credibly argue that investing a 7th in Thompson isn't a great sign of anything, it was just good value at the spot..and that's a fair analysis, but they also brought in Jones and Tony Carter showed some good things last year. They've got expectations for all these kids. They didn't draft Smith that high for nothing. They really like Cox so far based on reports. They didn't bring all these people in the last two years for nothing. They've been anticipating the Champ issue for awhile now. It seems the Broncos decided last summer that they were not going to be put in the position where they HAD to resign him to a long term deal. They didn't want to be caught flatfooted, behind the eight ball, with no leverage at all. They wanted to be prepared to move forward in case they couldn't get a team-friendly deal done. I don't know whether they are in fact prepared to move forward....they've given that impression, they've brought in people....it really comes down to how well these kids produce. If Smith takes the next step, if Carter continues to be a pleasant surprise, if Cox is the steal he appears to be so far, then they've played out the game perfectly. That's why they are hesitating to do anything about Champ right now. Why would you? You've got to see what you have. Whether Champ is here next year isn't dependent on how good he remains as a CB. I'm sure they fully expect that he's still got another 2-3 years as a Top 5 NFL CB. The real question is whether the 2010 season shows that at least a couple of these kids can play...maybe not to Champ's level, but to a level where it makes more sense to go with them and invest that extra (Champ's) 8-9 million elsewhere.

Basically, I would be shocked if the Broncos did another expensive extension with Bailey before the end of this year. In fact, I'd be surprised if they put together another expensive extension with Bailey, PERIOD. So far as the FO is concerned, the worst case scenario is that none of the kids shows anything in 2010. Even if that's the case, the Broncos can franchise Bailey for a year and push the decision back down the road some more for further evaluation of the young players (and by the time that 2011 year is over, if they still don't have anything legit waiting in the wings, its unlikely he would get a multi-year extension since he'd probably be well into his decline given his age at that time).

BRING BACK BUTCH
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:15 PM   #18
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

I hope Champ will play safety for safety money.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:27 PM   #19
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

It's going to be a little tough seeing Champ Bailey in a Chiefs uniform.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:35 PM   #20
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
It's going to be a little tough seeing Champ Bailey in a Chiefs uniform.
If he were to leave Denver, I could see Atlanta as a possiblity considering his GA roots and their annual weakness at the CB spot. Indy also makes sense since his best years were under Coyer. I still think he'll be here, even if logic (as SoCal pointed out) says not so much. McD seemed really genuine when he said he wanted Champ here as long as he (McD) is here. If the team can get a new deal with Elvis and Tebow doesn't demand the QB treatment on his 1st round contract - I wouldn't be stunned if a reasonable contract was worked out with Champ during the preseason. Considering his age, the labor uncertainity of next season, the financial compensation he's already received from this franchise and the fact his agent is now campaigning for a new deal - I think Champ retires a Bronco... but I could be wrong.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:28 AM   #21
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

3 options as I see them:

1) Champ takes a pay cut on a new contract
2) Champ gets franchised
3) There is no football next year

At least this season and next, I see him here or nowhere. After that, well he really will be getting up there in years...
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:01 AM   #22
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

I was watching NFL Live last night and Golic/Carter both agreed that Champ was not a priority at this very moment because of the uncertain CBA, and the young guys Denver has to take care of...even pointed out that Brady and Manning have no deal yet either

they even said it shouldn't be made a personal thing, it happens to all aging players

it's a lot of blown out of proportion crap if you ask me, but somehow this will land right on McD's shoulders won't it?
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote