06-20-2010, 10:51 AM
Just hanging out.
Got a breath mint??
Join Date: Aug 2005
Why the 911Truther Movement is Like a Religion
Excellent insight into a group of crazy, money grubbing paranoids.
Gaffney, read this carefully, it's about you and your stupefyingly obtuse cohorts.
Diary Entry by Tom Murphy
The 911Truther Movement is similar to a religion because its followers believe in or partake of the following:
(1) Revelation – 911Truthers KNOW that what they've been given by the 9/11 Commission and NIST is anything but the "truth". This knowledge is revealed by the planning and execution of a false flag operation by others (most probably the Administration). While the planning and execution were managed very successfully, neither were quite good enough for the cleverness of Truthers discoveries of multiple layers of incompetence – despite the fact that no one has yet confessed to participation in or knowledge of the actual conspiracy.
(2) Reminiscence – Disparate 911Truthers sites occasionally gather in more communal settings entitled "conferences" to listen to each other speak the "truth". This is a perfect setting to reminisce about their cleverness at having revealed the truth, while others remain ignorant. This sharing allows 911Truthers to integrate their shared thoughts into daily thinking.
(3) Ritual – 911Truthers use constant repetition of common "truths" (e.g., Osama was on the CIA payroll) and common terms (e.g. false flag). The repetitive use of these truths and terms lends comfort to Truthers through their ritualistic use. Similar and consistent approaches are taken against those who disagree with the Movement in a thoughtful and considerate manner when their points are not addressed but their character is questioned openly.
(4) Reverence – 911Truthers give great weight to so-called "scholars", architects, engineers, and politicians as verification that their cause is just and "real". How could someone such as Steve Jones be... wrong?
(5) Restrictions – By placing the events of 9/11 into a massive conspiracy, 911Truthers have placed gateways through which one must pass to be accepted by the followers. If a person cannot pass, then they are clearly a shill for the enemy or are ignorant of the "truth".
(6) Repentance – If one who has passed the gateway but falters in the "faith", they must be shown the error of their ways or thoughts. If they repent of their misdeeds, then they are permitted to return to the 911Truther fold but under a renewed watch for future lapses of "faith".
(7) Reliance – 911Truthers are optimistic and rely on the belief that once the unwashed masses accept the "truth", then there will be hope for the continuance of America and its people. However, things may (some Truthers would argue must) get worse before they get better, which could include a re-writing of original principles (e.g., the Constitution).
(8) Resurrection – Only through the acceptance of the 911Truther's version of the "truth" will America and its people reawaken from its slumber of ignorance and yet again attain its magnificence but as a kinder, gentler, and more globally-conscious and focused nation – willing to share its wealth equitably.
(9) Rebellion – By default, 911Truthers are in opposition to "authority" because it is the government that perpetrated the "crime". Naturally, this requires a high level of devotion and dedication to the 911Truther Movement or "rebellion" because of the possible consequences... if caught.
(10) Removal – When a 911Truther finally accepts reality and now understands that they have been deceived by the Movement, they must be removed and disassociated with the "cause". The best vehicle for accomplishing this removal is to claim the violator a government plant meant to split the unity of the Movement.
(11) Relevance – The actions and thoughts of the 911Truther are critical to the times in which they live. With the presumption that fascism abounds in America and this nation's world status is in decline because of a reliance upon only its own greatness, a global immorality exists within American culture that only the 911Truther Movement can reverse.
(12) Relationships – The sharing of knowledge by 911Truthers via respective web sites, articles, false papers, conferences, etc... creates social and emotional relations that only strengthen the collective adherence to the "cause".
(13) Reality – The concept that 9/11 was an inside job gains its own "reality" not by evidentiary examination but by the collective will of the 911Truther Movement. The reality is the inertia that IS the collective will of the individual Truthers and surely, this many people cannot be wrong.
(14) Righteousness – The leaders of the 911Truther Movement have established rules (e.g., means of transferring their message and adherence to paying lip service to the scientific method) by which those within the movement must operate. Adherence to these rules is required and assists the leaders by ensuring that the movement's way of thinking is aligned to their wills (Reynolds vs. Jones – the great schism?).
(15) Retribution – Prior to repentance, a violator of the Movement must understand that there are consequences for not following the rules. These consequences include a diminishing of the violator's words, close association to a leader to learn more of the truth (or be watched more closely), and use as a public front to the "cause".
I believe that an adherence to the scientific method, with a healthy dose of Occam's Razor thrown in, is a better approach with sounder results to reviewing the events of 9/11 than a religious-like movement and its multiple and complex (sometimes conflicting) components. In this case, the path to the truth is as important as the truth itself.