The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

Default Tebow as a throwing running back?

What is to prevent us from designating Tebow as a running back, so that we can keep Orton/Quinn as 1-2, but still allow Tebow to come in for specific packages?

Pasquarelli talked about the problem with Tebow at 3 if we want to run wildcat plays with him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...len&id=5301467

--"The suspicion remains that McDaniels will design a special package of plays (a Wildcat set or some other exotic formation that gets the ball into the hands of the former Florida star) for Tebow, or that the 2007 Heisman Trophy winner will line up at another position.

Unless Tebow is the No. 2 quarterback or is listed at another position, he can't simply enter a game in the first three quarters, operate the Wildcat offense for a play or two and then return to the bench and allow either Orton or Quinn to replace him. So the thorny issue becomes one of just how Tebow is listed on game day. "--

So are there rules about throwing running backs? There are plenty of gimmick plays that half the tailback throw a pass, so clearly there is some area to work in.
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Wildcat? Wild Horses?

WILD GATOR, BABY.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:08 PM   #3
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterhole View Post
What is to prevent us from designating Tebow as a running back, so that we can keep Orton/Quinn as 1-2, but still allow Tebow to come in for specific packages?

Pasquarelli talked about the problem with Tebow at 3 if we want to run wildcat plays with him.

--"The suspicion remains that McDaniels will design a special package of plays (a Wildcat set or some other exotic formation that gets the ball into the hands of the former Florida star) for Tebow, or that the 2007 Heisman Trophy winner will line up at another position.

Unless Tebow is the No. 2 quarterback or is listed at another position, he can't simply enter a game in the first three quarters, operate the Wildcat offense for a play or two and then return to the bench and allow either Orton or Quinn to replace him. So the thorny issue becomes one of just how Tebow is listed on game day. "--

So are there rules about throwing running backs? There are plenty of gimmick plays that half the tailback throw a pass, so clearly there is some area to work in.
From the way I understand it, you could dress all QBs on your gameday roster if you'd like. By designating him another position, he's still taking one of the gameday slots just as if you just activated 3 QBs. The issue with coming in and leaving is if they use the extra slot that doesn't count against your gameday roster which is designated as an emergency QB. If they designate noone, every player can come and go as they please but every one counts against your gameday roster.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:15 PM   #4
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
From the way I understand it, you could dress all QBs on your gameday roster if you'd like. By designating him another position, he's still taking one of the gameday slots just as if you just activated 3 QBs. The issue with coming in and leaving is if they use the extra slot that doesn't count against your gameday roster which is designated as an emergency QB. If they designate noone, every player can come and go as they please but every one counts against your gameday roster.
^
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:26 PM   #5
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

If Orton gets hurt, Quinn can still replace him if he's designated as the emergency QB. There's no problem here.
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:43 PM   #6
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:

He wouldn't be allowed to wear the mic'ed helmet so we would need someone else to call out the plays on the field.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:52 PM   #7
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:

That's quite possible.
I can see McD devising plays for Tebow in Wild Horse formations, especially in the redzone.
He'll have the option to run it ir to throw it. Either way, Tebow will have enough exposure this season, and if he does well, I can see him getting even more involved in our offense...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:01 PM   #8
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

I know the gimmick play is cute and en vogue these days, whether its LT throwing TDs, or the Wildcat. But, IMHO, you are either a QB or an RB. If they try and make him a little of both, he will fail at both. Is he gonna read defense so that he beat it with the pass, or is he gonna read the defense so that he can pick up the blitz? As the article eludes to, I would expect Tebow to get on the field in a Vickesque role, ala Philly last year, where he comes on for a play here and there to be a run and throw threat. And in that case, he will have to be the #2 QB and that would make Quinn #3. Or they would have to wait 'til the 4th quarter to bring in Tebow at all.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:09 PM   #9
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborugger View Post
I know the gimmick play is cute and en vogue these days, whether its LT throwing TDs, or the Wildcat. But, IMHO, you are either a QB or an RB. If they try and make him a little of both, he will fail at both. Is he gonna read defense so that he beat it with the pass, or is he gonna read the defense so that he can pick up the blitz? As the article eludes to, I would expect Tebow to get on the field in a Vickesque role, ala Philly last year, where he comes on for a play here and there to be a run and throw threat. And in that case, he will have to be the #2 QB and that would make Quinn #3. Or they would have to wait 'til the 4th quarter to bring in Tebow at all.
Yes, exactly:

"Kolb was designated the No. 3 quarterback for 11 games, but was only nominally so, as evidenced by the fact that he started the two contests for which McNabb was injured."
listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:25 PM   #10
CEH
Ring of Famer

Pat White was the #2 QB in MiA last year for 13 games.
All these articles about Tebow just look around the league. Tebow will be the #2 QB on games days
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:33 PM   #11
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
I know the gimmick play is cute and en vogue these days, whether its LT throwing TDs, or the Wildcat. But, IMHO, you are either a QB or an RB. If they try and make him a little of both, he will fail at both.
He is a QB.
In this case you can call him a QB if it is a QB involved or a RB if it is a RB involved, because when you're getting the direct snap, you have the choice to either run it or throw it.
If the guy getting the snap is a RB, then he'll run it and in some cases he may throw it. If the guy getting the direct snap is a QB he can certainly do both. It's just a matter of how the play is run, regardless of whether it is a QB or a RB in there.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:38 PM   #12
loborugger
lost in the ether

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafen View Post
He is a QB.
In this case you can call him a QB if it is a QB involved or a RB if it is a RB involved, because when you're getting the direct snap, you have the choice to either run it or throw it.
If the guy getting the snap is a RB, then he'll run it and in some cases he may throw it. If the guy getting the direct snap is a QB he can certainly do both. It's just a matter of how the play is run, regardless of whether it is a QB or a RB in there.
Which brings us back to Mike Vick last year.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:39 PM   #13
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Which brings us back to Mike Vick last year.
I can dig that...
Old 06-19-2010, 08:45 PM   #14
loborugger
lost in the ether

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafen View Post
I can dig that...
Ya, me too. Unlike Vick who is a reclamation project, Tebow is our QB of the future. So it would be great to see him on the field getting a taste of the game.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:50 PM   #15
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
He wouldn't be allowed to wear the mic'ed helmet so we would need someone else to call out the plays on the field.
I would think that as long as you designate a single person with the dotted helmet, it doesn't matter who has it. Just the fact that it's almost always the QB makes it seem a rule.

I can't think of names or teams off the top of my head but I swear I saw scenarios where the MLB wasn't quite ready for running the D or was a injury replacement and they had an OLB running the mic. I'd think it to be the same optional factor on O as long as it was explained and understood what was going on.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:59 PM   #16
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Ya, me too. Unlike Vick who is a reclamation project, Tebow is our QB of the future. So it would be great to see him on the field getting a taste of the game.
I agree. Actually, I'm kind of excited to see that. Not so much to see Tebow run the WH, but to assess the things he can do. I think that will be his time to show what he brings to our offense, the kind of weapon he can be, and hopefuly be put in to run regular offensive plays under center every now and then...
Old 06-19-2010, 09:07 PM   #17
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

RBs can't wear a number lower than 20.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:48 PM   #18
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
RBs can't wear a number lower than 20.
Well, with the new rules once someone's had the number for a year, they can change and keep the number. So if he is in as a QB *officially* this year and the NFL catches wind and says to classify him as a RB next year, it'd be too late and he'd be locked into his number.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:52 PM   #19
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

When your red zone success is down to gimmicks or tackle eligible plays where Clady gets his knees blow up you might be in over your head.
KipCorrington25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:59 PM   #20
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

The NFL has some stupid rules and this is certainly one of them. McD says he's a QB and nothing else, and I'd hate to see his development under center slowed while we fart around trying to design gimmics.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:32 AM   #21
Drek
Ring of Famer

Good god how many times do we have to go over this?

Orton is the #1, Tebow is listed as the #2 so he can get in for specialized packages. Quinn, who is actually Orton's injury/suck replacement is #3, not on the active roster but designated the emergency QB.

If Orton gets hurt or is ****ting the bed so bad we want to jerk him out it becomes Quinn's game. We would want to stop taking snaps away from the #1 and giving them to Tebow anyhow as we'd want to at least try to let Quinn find something of a rhythm.

This is not even a remotely hard problem to solve. Just because some tool who writes for ESPN is either too stupid to have figured this out or played the fool so he could meet his word count for the week doesn't make it any more of a big deal. Its a non-problem.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:25 AM   #22
NYBronco
Ring of Famer

I think McD is looking at Tebow to be an effective long term QB in his system but is not shy to use his skill and talents to get this team on the winning side until he becomes the #1 QB.

I'm all for the Broncos winning even if it means a "fluke" like Stokely ricochet TD pass play. There are always two teams on the field at any given time and preparation and focus is key to winning on both sides of the ball.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:46 AM   #23
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Good god how many times do we have to go over this?

Orton is the #1, Tebow is listed as the #2 so he can get in for specialized packages. Quinn, who is actually Orton's injury/suck replacement is #3, not on the active roster but designated the emergency QB.

If Orton gets hurt or is ****ting the bed so bad we want to jerk him out it becomes Quinn's game. We would want to stop taking snaps away from the #1 and giving them to Tebow anyhow as we'd want to at least try to let Quinn find something of a rhythm.

This is not even a remotely hard problem to solve. Just because some tool who writes for ESPN is either too stupid to have figured this out or played the fool so he could meet his word count for the week doesn't make it any more of a big deal. Its a non-problem.
We get it sir. You know more about football than any of us rubes. God it must suck to be you, having to continually explaining the game's finer points to all of us slack jawed yokels. It must be a real burden on you. On behalf of the Mane, I apologize for our collective ignorance, and bow to your sage like wisdom.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:56 AM   #24
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
We get it sir. You know more about football than any of us rubes. God it must suck to be you, having to continually explaining the game's finer points to all of us slack jawed yokels. It must be a real burden on you. On behalf of the Mane, I apologize for our collective ignorance, and bow to your sage like wisdom.
Remembering the discussion of a thread that spent several days on the first page of the main board has nothing to do with football IQ.

Not posting a POS throw **** at the wall and see what sticks article from ESPN because its something this board has already discussed more intelligently is also in no way related to football IQ.

I'd like to think that people posting on a football discussion board, regardless of their football IQ, can actually pay attention enough to know that this very thing has been covered in several threads already.

What next, you gonna go post another article on how Tim Tebow is a devout Christian? Or how McDaniels is all about team first players? I'm sure the board could use another thread on Jay Cutler no longer being our QB while you're at it.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:04 AM   #25
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
So what's you game here you trying to get rid of one of our last knowledgeable football posters so we can have more room for the dragsters of the board.

Last edited by baja; 06-20-2010 at 07:07 AM..
baja is offline   Reply With Quote