The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
Los Broncos
Broncos Country
 
Los Broncos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Eastern Utah
Posts: 18,703

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady
Default Apocalypse: The Second World War

Anyone else watch this on the Smithsonian or History channel?

I've watched it 3 times already, great insight and very very touching, some parts I teared up a little.

Narrated by Martin Sheen, just a great documentary.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2010, 02:36 PM   #2
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue
 
no-pseudo-fan's Avatar
 
Follow me...

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: EPT
Posts: 2,113

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo
Default

when is it on again?
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:39 PM   #3
Los Broncos
Broncos Country
 
Los Broncos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Eastern Utah
Posts: 18,703

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-pseudo-fan View Post
when is it on again?
The site says it's not airing but here is the link to the page, you can check it from time to time.

Also you can watch some of it on the site.

http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/si....do?series=694

Last edited by Los Broncos; 06-17-2010 at 02:42 PM..
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:10 PM   #4
bowtown
Ring of Famer
 
bowtown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,608

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Clady View Post
Anyone else watch this on the Smithsonian or History channel?

I've watched it 3 times already, great insight and very very touching, some parts I teared up a little.

Narrated by Martin Sheen, just a great documentary.
Wuss
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:21 PM   #5
Los Broncos
Broncos Country
 
Los Broncos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Eastern Utah
Posts: 18,703

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Wuss
Ha, just on one part of it really, a rocket propelled 1 ton warhead taking out an innocent family.

As because of one man's hate.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:24 PM   #6
BroncoLifer
Living the Dream
 
BroncoLifer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boulder County
Posts: 1,536

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Clady View Post
As because of one man's hate.
It took other people going along to enable that hate.
BroncoLifer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:35 PM   #7
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 
Playing for January

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 26,127

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Gotta see that.

Our generation is such a bunch of pansies. We have no idea what that must've been like.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:18 PM   #8
Los Broncos
Broncos Country
 
Los Broncos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Eastern Utah
Posts: 18,703

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoLifer View Post
It took other people going along to enable that hate.
And I agree, it was just a sad thing really, all those innocent people dying.

It just makes me think about life you know.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:19 AM   #9
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
 
bpc's Avatar
 
1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 14,270

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Did they play up Tom Hangs wicked version of the story? Where American's are the bad guys and race haters? Because ya know, that's the en vogue stance to have for certain people in this country.

Evil shameful America, defending yourself after a sneak attack killing thousands of your people... pffff
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:35 AM   #10
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
Did they play up Tom Hangs wicked version of the story? Where American's are the bad guys and race haters? Because ya know, that's the en vogue stance to have for certain people in this country.

Evil shameful America, defending yourself after a sneak attack killing thousands of your people... pffff
For that reason alone I did not watch any of the Pacific on HBO, and what he said tainted Band of Brothers. Is that what he thinks American servicemen went to war for?


Last edited by Archer81; 06-18-2010 at 12:51 AM..
Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:51 AM   #11
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"
 
watermock's Avatar
 
"Hug me!"

Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hot Springs, Ouachitah
Posts: 76,807
Default

MSNBC for ME.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:55 PM   #12
BroncsRule
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,011

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
For that reason alone I did not watch any of the Pacific on HBO, and what he said tainted Band of Brothers. Is that what he thinks American servicemen went to war for?

Your loss. The Pacific was good. Not quite as good as BoB, but good. Even though Hanks aparently thinks what he thinks about America's "shameful" behavior on the world stage, that doesn't come through on to the screen at all. Like "Band" Pacific was a soldier's story, well told. (3 Marines' stories, actually)
BroncsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:47 PM   #13
Los Broncos
Broncos Country
 
Los Broncos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Eastern Utah
Posts: 18,703

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
Did they play up Tom Hangs wicked version of the story? Where American's are the bad guys and race haters? Because ya know, that's the en vogue stance to have for certain people in this country.

Evil shameful America, defending yourself after a sneak attack killing thousands of your people... pffff
Japanese commander: "We'll show those American devils what courage is"
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:43 PM   #14
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Touched By God

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,992
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
Did they play up Tom Hangs wicked version of the story? Where American's are the bad guys and race haters? Because ya know, that's the en vogue stance to have for certain people in this country.

Evil shameful America, defending yourself after a sneak attack killing thousands of your people... pffff
You're a ****ing moron. No, no. Seriously. You are.

As soon as you have proof of an American posting something like that, go ahead and share it with all of us. Until you do, you're a simple minded douchebag who needs to create arguments in order to discuss an issue.
__________________
Nobody puts Jay-bee in the corner.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:00 PM   #15
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,384
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
You're a ****ing moron. No, no. Seriously. You are.

As soon as you have proof of an American posting something like that, go ahead and share it with all of us. Until you do, you're a simple minded douchebag who needs to create arguments in order to discuss an issue.
^
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:20 PM   #16
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
You're a ****ing moron. No, no. Seriously. You are.

As soon as you have proof of an American posting something like that, go ahead and share it with all of us. Until you do, you're a simple minded douchebag who needs to create arguments in order to discuss an issue.

Courtesy of Hotair.com

But the context for Hanks’ history lessons has changed. Band of Brothers, HBO’s best-selling DVD to date, began airing two days before 9/11; The Pacific, his new 10-hour epic about the Pacific theater in World War II, plays out against a very different backdrop, when the country is weary of war and American exceptionalism is a much tougher sell. World War II in the European theater was a case of massive armies arrayed against an unambiguous evil. The Pacific war was mainly fought by isolated groups of men and was overlaid by a sense that our foes were fundamentally different from us. In that sense, the war in the Pacific bears a closer relation to the complex war on terrorism the U.S. is waging now, making the new series a trickier prospect but one with potential for more depth and resonance. “Certainly, we wanted to honor U.S. bravery in The Pacific,” Hanks says. “But we also wanted to have people say, ‘We didn’t know our troops did that to Japanese people.’”…
And he is pleased that The Pacific has fulfilled an obligation to our World War II vets. He doesn’t see the series as simply eye-opening history. He hopes it offers Americans a chance to ponder the sacrifices of our current soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan. “From the outset, we wanted to make people wonder how our troops can re-enter society in the first place,” Hanks says. “How could they just pick up their lives and get on with the rest of us? Back in World War II, we viewed the Japanese as ‘yellow, slant-eyed dogs’ that believed in different gods. They were out to kill us because our way of living was different. We, in turn, wanted to annihilate them because they were different. Does that sound familiar, by any chance, to what’s going on today?”


Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:59 PM   #17
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,384
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Courtesy of Hotair.com

But the context for Hanks’ history lessons has changed. Band of Brothers, HBO’s best-selling DVD to date, began airing two days before 9/11; The Pacific, his new 10-hour epic about the Pacific theater in World War II, plays out against a very different backdrop, when the country is weary of war and American exceptionalism is a much tougher sell. World War II in the European theater was a case of massive armies arrayed against an unambiguous evil. The Pacific war was mainly fought by isolated groups of men and was overlaid by a sense that our foes were fundamentally different from us. In that sense, the war in the Pacific bears a closer relation to the complex war on terrorism the U.S. is waging now, making the new series a trickier prospect but one with potential for more depth and resonance. “Certainly, we wanted to honor U.S. bravery in The Pacific,” Hanks says. “But we also wanted to have people say, ‘We didn’t know our troops did that to Japanese people.’”…
And he is pleased that The Pacific has fulfilled an obligation to our World War II vets. He doesn’t see the series as simply eye-opening history. He hopes it offers Americans a chance to ponder the sacrifices of our current soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan. “From the outset, we wanted to make people wonder how our troops can re-enter society in the first place,” Hanks says. “How could they just pick up their lives and get on with the rest of us? Back in World War II, we viewed the Japanese as ‘yellow, slant-eyed dogs’ that believed in different gods. They were out to kill us because our way of living was different. We, in turn, wanted to annihilate them because they were different. Does that sound familiar, by any chance, to what’s going on today?”


Okay, so can anyone verify that that's not the truth? I know (well, knew...) two WW2 vets, and several people living during that era. They can all corroborate that this is what the propaganda machine made people believe.

Hanks isn't saying we were wrong in going to war. He's saying that some of the things we did while at war were unacceptable. The ends don't always justify the means.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:34 PM   #18
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Touched By God

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,992
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Okay, so can anyone verify that that's not the truth? I know (well, knew...) two WW2 vets, and several people living during that era. They can all corroborate that this is what the propaganda machine made people believe.

Hanks isn't saying we were wrong in going to war. He's saying that some of the things we did while at war were unacceptable. The ends don't always justify the means.
This. Exactly.

But please, bpc, keep spinning that bull****. ****ing idiot.
__________________
Nobody puts Jay-bee in the corner.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:22 AM   #19
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Okay, so can anyone verify that that's not the truth? I know (well, knew...) two WW2 vets, and several people living during that era. They can all corroborate that this is what the propaganda machine made people believe.

Hanks isn't saying we were wrong in going to war. He's saying that some of the things we did while at war were unacceptable. The ends don't always justify the means.

Do you think we would have gone to war with the Japanese for racial reasons? They attacked us first. Hanks' comment paints it that we were, and continue to be a xenophobic country (which is ridiculous...is there a nationality, religion or race on earth that does not have at least one American citizen?) who only pursues foreign policy with a racist paradigm.

We battled a Japanese empire bent on racial purity and an empire by the asians for the asians. Is this just incidental for Hanks? Or is America the only country to ever experience racism?

Little sick of every talking head on TV making it seem that the US is the problem all of the time. Even when history blatantly states otherwise.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:59 AM   #20
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Touched By God

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,992
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Do you think we would have gone to war with the Japanese for racial reasons? They attacked us first. Hanks' comment paints it that we were, and continue to be a xenophobic country (which is ridiculous...is there a nationality, religion or race on earth that does not have at least one American citizen?) who only pursues foreign policy with a racist paradigm.

We battled a Japanese empire bent on racial purity and an empire by the asians for the asians. Is this just incidental for Hanks? Or is America the only country to ever experience racism?

Little sick of every talking head on TV making it seem that the US is the problem all of the time. Even when history blatantly states otherwise.

Nowhere in Hanks' quote does he say we went to war for racial reasons. I don't think he believes that, and I certainly don't know anyone else who believes that.

We went to war with them because they attacked us. We waged war within our borders against them because they were different (as a side effect of them attacking us).

I think you're making a tremendous leap with your argument.
__________________
Nobody puts Jay-bee in the corner.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:52 AM.


Denver Broncos