The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2010, 02:58 PM   #1
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Default Broncos, Dumervil unsettled on contract situation

Broncos, Dumervil unsettled on contract situation
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 06/12/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

There are various ways for the average American to view a contract dispute between a mega-million-dollar franchise and a millionaire athlete.

One would be that Broncos linebacker Elvis Dumervil, who makes a living playing football, should be doing backflips at getting paid $3.168 million this year.

This might be the worldly, teacher-scientist-fireman perspective.

Then there's the myopic, dreamy outlook from within the professional football galaxy, where Dumervil is grossly underpaid coming off a 17-sack NFL season. To the players who share his universe, the Broncos have no choice in the matter. They must pay Dumervil, who is looking for a long-term contract.

"I'm trying not to bite my tongue and trying not to say too much at the same time," said Broncos star cornerback Champ Bailey, who wouldn't mind slipping to second highest-paid on the Broncos' salary list. "But he's a guy that we need. And I wish things would work out a lot faster than they are."

The Broncos guaranteed $8.06 million to pass rusher Jarvis Moss, a first-round pick in 2007, and $9.7 million to pass rusher Robert Ayers, a first-round pick in 2009. For that combined $17.76 million expense, the Broncos have received 3.5 sacks in four combined seasons from Moss and Ayers.

To offset that disappointing return on their investment, the Broncos have paid $2.015 million over the previous four years to Dumervil, who in turn gave them 43 sacks.

It's not that the Broncos do not want to pay Dumervil. They're just not ready to give Dumervil a $65 million-plus contract with a $40 million-plus guarantee that would put him among the five highest-paid pass rushers in the NFL.

Dumervil's contract situation overshadowed even Tim Tebow and the quarterback competition Friday as the Broncos opened their mandatory, three-day minicamp.

"I didn't want the whole circus and controversy with the media, but it's out there, obviously," Dumervil said.

Negotiations between Broncos general manager Brian Xanders and Dumervil's agent, Gary Wichard, had been moving, if at considerable arm's length. The bargaining sessions were rattled when the Broncos sent a letter to Dumervil this week stating that if he didn't sign his $3.168 million tender by Monday, the team would exercise the right to cut his 2010 salary to 10 percent above what he made last year.

This was not the collective bargaining rule stating clubs must notify such intentions to their unsigned restricted free agents by June 1. This was a second letter, meant specifically for Dumervil, sent earlier this week that the Broncos weren't obligated to issue.

"No, but we're certainly not unique at all," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said. "We'd like to have all the players under contract in training camp. There's certainly no message sent with that at all."

New England's Logan Mankins, and San Diego receiver Vincent Jackson, who starred at Widefield High School, were among the many unsigned restricted free agents who received similar formal threats. The letters have irritated the recipients while causing some, such as Jackson and Chargers teammate Marcus McNeill, to make counter-threats of not signing the tender and holding out of training camp.

Dumervil had a far less hostile reaction.

"Being here, going on my fifth year, I've seen a lot, so I'm not surprised by anything, really," he said.

He will sign his tender by Monday. And with or without a new contract, he is likely to show up for the first day of training camp. Holdouts rarely work, anyway, and they figure to have less impact with the possibility of a league work stoppage in 2011.

Said Bailey: "Being the professional that he is, he's done everything by the book, since Day One. I expect him to do it from here on out. . . . He doesn't have to be here. And they don't have to pay him. I mean he wouldn't be wrong by not being here, but I think it says a lot about him by being here because he's not actually under contract. I know he wants to know the system, and know his teammates. And it feels good to me, as a guy who has been around a while to have a guy take that approach."

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com

This speaks volumes and you know Doom is not happy about it
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2010, 03:04 PM   #2
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

So if he doesn't sign the tender by Monday he loses money?
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:06 PM   #3
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Dumervil handling it very well. But so are the Broncos. It's all business and I would be shocked if he doesn't doesn't get paid before training camp starts.

The Suggs deal seems fair to me. Hopefully, the Broncos are in that general area with their negotiations. And hopefully Dumervil's people aren't dead set on Allen type money.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:09 PM   #4
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

If they give him Suggs money we will have alot of cash tied up in the OLB spot
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:12 PM   #5
NYBronco
Ring of Famer

Moss and Ayers should give some money back so it can go to a more productive player.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
Not necessarilly. It's they key position in a passing league. In a 3-4 defense you have got to get 25-30 sacks from the position to be successful.

They committed Ayers his money the day they drafted him, and that's a decision they are going to have to live with, whether it be good or bad. And Moss has already received most of his money.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:22 PM   #7
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Clady View Post
Doubtful. The letter was sent as a formality in the CBA rules. Every team sent out letters to their RFA's.

Players and teams now the lockout is coming and both sides are looking for the best deal.
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:23 PM   #8
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Quote:
It's a vital position in the 3-4 defense.

Pass rushers get paid....it's as simple as that.

The Broncos need to give in and pay the man. It will set an extremely poor example if they low ball him. Elvis has done everything that has been asked of him and has never complained. He is the consummate team player. He stays out of trouble off the field. Josh McDaniels is seeking to compile a team full of players that Elvis Dumervil personifies.

I know it's a lot of damn money....but that's the reality of it and Elvis Dumervil deserves to be be paid in the top five at his position and should not settle for anything less.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:31 PM   #9
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
It's a vital position in the 3-4 defense.

Pass rushers get paid....it's as simple as that.

The Broncos need to give in and pay the man. It will set an extremely poor example if they low ball him. Elvis has done everything that has been asked of him and has never complained. He is the consummate team player. He stays out of trouble off the field. Josh McDaniels is seeking to compile a team full of players that Elvis Dumervil personifies.

I know it's a lot of damn money....but that's the reality of it and Elvis Dumervil deserves to be be paid in the top five at his position and should not settle for anything less.
totally agree
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:17 PM   #10
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Clady View Post
Only if the team rescinds the offer.
BigPlayShay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:03 PM   #11
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

He will get something slightly bigger than what Calvin Pace got, but not as much as Demarcus Ware, I would say something in the area of 25 mill guaranteed out of about 55 total over 6 years, which includes the 3 mill this year. Call it 3.5 mill guaranteed this year, 10 mill signing bonus, 5 mill base salary guaranteed next year, and other bonuses and salaries guaranteed for skill and injury in 2012 for about 7.5 mill.
gyldenlove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:26 PM   #12
CoopDawg
Seasoned Veteran

McCaffrey

Just pay the man.
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:32 PM   #13
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Dumervil is probably still paying for being undersized. There's probably someone in Denver who doesn't believe he can continue to do what he's been doing.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:51 PM   #14
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

Dude is good and was drafted by Shanahan. No wonder McDouche and company are trying to run him out of town...
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:00 PM   #15
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Bad Decision by Bowlen to hire Mcd.
From the day he became coach, Broncos became a joke.
He doesn't know how to deal players.
He is better fit to coach in college.

He didn't achieve anything NFL..yet, he acts like he is a HOF coach.

Hopefully, he gets fired by the end of this season.
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:01 PM   #16
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

Quote:
If they don't give him Suggs type money we won't have any proven players at the OLB spot
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:04 PM   #17
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_broncos View Post
Bad Decision by Bowlen to hire Mcd.
From the day he became coach, Broncos became a joke.
He doesn't know how to deal players.
He is better fit to coach in college.

He didn't achieve anything NFL..yet, he acts like he is a HOF coach.

Hopefully, he gets fired by the end of this season.

FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:06 PM   #18
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

For posts 14 and 15, please see avatar.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:26 PM   #19
hambone13
Ring of Famer

Salty Lurking Vet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterhole View Post
Dude is good and was drafted by Shanahan. No wonder McDouche and company are trying to run him out of town...
Yeah, like Mike Singletary wasn't undersized and had a huge impact on the game. Just pay him and move on. It's getting ridiculous. From the interview on the Broncos website, it's obvious Doom is holding position on what his stats have been and wanting to be paid. I can't see how a player with his proven character doesn't demand execution on a premier contract. It will be more expensive to fix the locker room if he doesn't get signed and all the players feel they're going to get low balled even if they comply with the McD team concept.
hambone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:24 PM   #20
broncswin
God I love those Broncos

Bring back the hardware

Adopt-a-Bronco:
three amigos

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblueblooded View Post
For posts 14 and 15, please see avatar.
LMFAO...exactly what I was thinking
broncswin is offline   Reply With Quote