The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Default "No doubt" Orton is the starter

Josh McDaniels: "No doubt" Orton is the starter
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on June 12, 2010 5:24 PM ET

Kyle Orton lined up with the Broncos starters to open the offseason, and that's where he'll remain heading into training camp.

"[Orton is the starter. He is the starter, no doubt," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said Saturday, in a variety of different ways. Here's another:

"There's nothing to be resolved really. We've got a guy who's going to go into camp as the starter, no question about it and he deserves it and if somebody comes in there and plays better than he does then that player will play."

It doesn't sound like Brady Quinn is overly close to passing Orton, but it's also silly to draw many conclusions from non-padded practices.

"It's clear, I think, that Kyle is definitely ahead, there's no question," McDaniels said. "He's playing that way and the other two guys -- I don't know if it matters if it's close or not but they're going to keep pushing him and working hard to try to improve their game so that they can make it close."

Critics of Orton have questioned his competitiveness and passion in the past. Perhaps acquiring Quinn and Tim Tebow has helped to light a fire under him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...s-the-starter/
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2010, 03:09 PM   #2
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Never was a doubt here, either.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:24 PM   #3
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

2010 Orton
2011 lockout
2012 Tebow Era begins.
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:30 PM   #4
OrangenBlueOhio
Solid Starter

Orange Crush please, Mr. Fox

"going into camp as starter" Coming out as third string.
OrangenBlueOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:36 PM   #5
bombquixote
Ring of Famer

11-5 in 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangenBlueOhio View Post
"going into camp as starter" Coming out as third string.
God willing.
bombquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:15 PM   #6
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEAV View Post
2010 Orton
2011 lockout
2012 Tebow Era begins.
please don't say that...

you'll make me cry
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:20 PM   #7
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

McD is just saying the job is Orton's unless one of the other QBs makes such gigantic strides that he supplants Orton. He's saying the same thing he's said from the beginning, all positions are up for grabs. Not sure why this is newsworthy....
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:33 PM   #8
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

What would there be to doubt? No one else has even a day of experience in a Broncos training camp.

Find something like this to put up in September and it might have a shred of meaning.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:49 PM   #9
WyoLaw
Pheasant Tail

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5280422

Updated: June 12, 2010, 8:24 PM ET
McDaniels says Orton is starter

ESPN.com news services

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said Saturday after minicamp that Kyle Orton will be his starter heading into training camp.

"We've got a guy [Orton] who's going to go into camp as the starter, no question about it and he deserves it," McDaniels said. "If somebody comes in there and plays better than he does then that player will play."

From there, the competition is open as Brady Quinn and rookie Tim Tebow will have an opportunity to win the job.

About this point last spring, McDaniels, then in his first year as coach, anointed Orton as his starter. This time, though, McDaniels' proclamation seemed a casual assumption.

"He is the starter, no doubt," McDaniels nonchalantly said. On a rainy and cool practice Saturday, Orton received a bulk of the reps, an explicit indication he's the leader of the QB pack.

Asked if the competition was even close right now, McDaniels said, "It's clear, I think, that Kyle is definitely ahead. There's no question." Orton isn't really giving the competition much thought, just going about his business. That's always been his approach.

"I'm really happy with the way I'm playing and just really have more confidence right now than I've ever had," he said. Orton is coming off a season in which he threw for a career-high 3,802 yards and 21 touchdowns. But Denver limped home down the stretch and missed the playoffs despite a 6-0 start.

The Broncos brought in a cache of quarterbacks to challenge Orton, acquiring Quinn from Cleveland in March and then drafting Tebow, the two-time national champion and Heisman Trophy winner out of Florida. Being the incumbent, though, and with a year of this intricate offense under his belt, Orton feels like he's a step ahead.
"It's just night and day," Orton said about his improvement since last season. "There's really just no comparison between myself and anyone else who's been in this offense for two years."

Precisely why he has a lock on the starting spot. Quinn or Tebow still have something to say about that. "I don't know if it matters if it's close or not, but they're going to keep pushing [Orton] and working hard to try to improve their game so that they can make it close," McDaniels said. "I think we had three guys out there that practiced pretty well [Saturday]."

Not to mention a rookie receiver who's steadily finding his groove. Demaryius Thomas, a first-round pick from Georgia Tech, is working his way back into shape after being sidelined earlier this spring with a broken left foot. "He's doing great," McDaniels said. "In terms of trying to get better at the things that he has struggled with or made an error with -- he has really worked hard to try to fix those."

Lately, Thomas has been spending time with former Broncos standout Rod Smith, who holds team marks for career receptions (849), yards receiving (11,389), touchdown catches (68) and touchdowns (71). The tutoring is taking hold. "He helped me out a lot," said Thomas, who tweaked his knee late in practice but said it wasn't anything serious. "Some of the stuff that he told me he did and would help me out and I tried it today and it did help."

Stuff like?

"It was basically getting off the line and getting off press and using my body and using my shoulders -- something I never did before," he said. Thomas wasn't the only receiver to dazzle Saturday, with Matthew Willis out of UCLA turning in quite a catch between defensive backs in a red-zone drill. Kenny McKinley wasn't to be outdone, leaping in the corner of the end zone to haul in a pass.

However, Pro Bowl safety Brian Dawkins refuted McKinley's catch, throwing his helmet as a makeshift flag and protesting that McKinley stepped out before the grab.

Still, it was a good day for the young wideouts as they build a rapport with Orton, Quinn and Tebow.

"I have a [high] comfort level with all these guys," Orton said. "All these guys run great routes."

ESPN Insider Adam Schefter and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
WyoLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:01 PM   #10
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

We are going to have a new starter at QB next season, because circa 2010 Orton is a completely different QB than 2009 Orton.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:35 PM   #11
dbfan4life
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
[B]
Critics of Orton have questioned his competitiveness and passion in the past.[/I]

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...s-the-starter/
I don't ever remember anyone questioning either of these. It is more his mobility and overally ability as a QB.
dbfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:51 PM   #12
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEAV View Post
2010 Orton
2011 lockout
2012 Tebow Era begins.
In this economy a lock out would be insane, it would seriously hurt the NFL.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:55 PM   #13
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
McD is just saying the job is Orton's unless one of the other QBs makes such gigantic strides that he supplants Orton. He's saying the same thing he's said from the beginning, all positions are up for grabs. Not sure why this is newsworthy....

Agreed.

I saw this on Rotoworld as a headline, and I was surprised. I went back to watch McD's presser, and he was clearly saying the same thing that he's said multiple times earlier: "Every position is open and the QB position is no different. Right now, Orton is the starter."

This is totally different than last season when he came out and named Orton the starter ahead of Chris Simms. In that situation, it was a clear demarcation because hitherto that point, Simms and Orton had started out on even footing. In the situation this year, Orton is the incumbent and the two challengers are rookies in this system.

I have no idea why the media are running with this headline at this time.
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:42 PM   #14
Abqbronco
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derick Domino

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
In this economy a lock out would be insane, it would seriously hurt the NFL.
I don't think this is true. The NFL has protected itself with a clause in the TV contracts worth billions. I don't really know the details but the NFLPA is filing some sort of complaint. The owners would be just fine financially. If baseball can recover from their problems the NFL would have no real problem with a lockout.
Abqbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #15
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abqbronco View Post
I don't think this is true. The NFL has protected itself with a clause in the TV contracts worth billions. I don't really know the details but the NFLPA is filing some sort of complaint. The owners would be just fine financially. If baseball can recover from their problems the NFL would have no real problem with a lockout.
You can't compare this to the baseball lockout. We are in economic times not seen since the great depression. The owners may be well healed but the problem will come from the fans. A guy scraping to feed his family will not take kindly to rich owners and rich players fighting over a pie worth billions.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:30 PM   #16
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play2Win View Post
We are going to have a new starter at QB next season, because circa 2010 Orton is a completely different QB than 2009 Orton.
So he's no longer slow, injury prone, weak armed, and unable to avoid the rush?
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:35 PM   #17
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipCorrington25 View Post
No shiit!
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:41 PM   #18
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
You can't compare this to the baseball lockout. We are in economic times not seen since the great depression. The owners may be well healed but the problem will come from the fans. A guy scraping to feed his family will not take kindly to rich owners and rich players fighting over a pie worth billions.
Please. Americans are sheep. When they come back, so will the fans.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:07 PM   #19
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Please. Americans are sheep. When they come back, so will the fans.
There's enough football players in the continental US to fully stock each NFL team with good talent. Not the best talent, but good talent. Players from semi pro to arena to canada will happily fill roster spots and while the fans won't like it, they will watch it at least for a little while. I agree there's no shortage of fans in this country that won't pay, perhaps a 1/2 price ticket to watch replacements play. The TV contract is set, filling the stadiums is the next issue and owners can do that by giving fans incentives to watch like cheaper tickets. The coaches aren't going anywhere either so get them to coach up some replacements and have some fun...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:24 PM   #20
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Don't speak, I know what you're sayin'.
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:02 PM   #21
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I don't think Orton holds any significant lead over the "other" QB's that they'd need to make gigantic strides.
Obviously he has a year in the "system", but that's not a guarantee he'll keep his job as the starter...
Every week McDaniels comes up with a different angle on the QB situation.

Last week:
Quote:
Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said Monday that he's not looking to trade QB Kyle Orton, but he softened his commitment to Orton being the team's starter in Week 1.

McDaniels, who in March said there was "no question" that Orton was the starter, said that the veteran will have to earn the job by holding off Brady Quinn and Tim Tebow in training camp.

Said McDaniels:

"The starter is the starter until somebody beats him out. Everybody earns their own role. The best player will play, that's all I'm saying. It doesn't matter if it's at defensive end, punter, quarterback, center, if he's the best player he's playing.

"And right now he's the best player. He's in there first in the huddle. He knows the most. Does that mean that that's a guarantee for this season? No, and he knows that. Every quarterback knows that. Every player knows it."
http://content.usatoday.com/communit...er-in-week-1/1

Last edited by strafen; 06-13-2010 at 06:17 AM..
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:53 PM   #22
DarkHorse30
Smith Rules

Adopt-a-Bronco:
wolf pot roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafen View Post
I don't think Orton holds any significant lead over the "ther" QB's that they'd need to make gigantic strides.
Obviously he has a year in the "system", but that's not a guarantee he'll keep his job as the starter...
Ok, what about BIG strides. Offenses take at least a year to learn, and Orton has a year under his belt that the others do not.

Quinn might take some time to learn but his bar for backup QB is so low, he could crawl over it. Simms was laughably bad. 15point-one QB rating as a Bronco. He was so bad that Orton had to go back injured against SD. Yikes. I want everybody that said that Simms should start over Orton last year to drop and give me twenty.
DarkHorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:36 AM   #23
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

I'd be very surprised if anyone other than Orton was starting on opening day. Not shocked, but surprised. (Hopefully pleasantly surprised.)

On a side note...

Kenny McKinley wasn't to be outdone, leaping in the corner of the end zone to haul in a pass.

Anyone else excited to see what this kid has this year? He might be a nice sleeper after a quiet rookie season.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:38 AM   #24
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
I'd be very surprised if anyone other than Orton was starting on opening day. Not shocked, but surprised. (Hopefully pleasantly surprised.)

On a side note...

[I] Kenny McKinley wasn't to be outdone, leaping in the corner of the end zone to haul in a pass.
[/I

Anyone else excited to see what this kid has this year? He might be a nice sleeper after a quiet rookie season.
McKinley has some real potenial liked what I saw in limited action.

Hopefully he'll get a chance in the return game, should see the field more with Marshall gone.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:10 AM   #25
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipCorrington25 View Post
Sounds like Brady (did)...

and, no, not the one on our team...
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote