The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
Ugly Duck
Proof: SD fans DO exist!

RF

Default Raiders sign Henderson

Former Jaguars defensive tackle John Henderson reached agreement Friday with the Oakland Raiders on a one-year deal, a team source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Jacksonville released Henderson in late April just days after the NFL draft.

Oakland had been looking for another defensive tackle after releasing Gerard Warren this offseason.

Henderson, an eight-year veteran, was pursued by a handful of teams.

Henderson, 31, was regarded as one of the best players remaining in the unrestricted free-agent pool. The two-time Pro Bowl defender was released as the Jags continued in the offseason to remake a defense that ranked No. 23 in the league in 2009.

A former University of Tennessee standout, Henderson started in 120 of 124 appearances with the Jaguars. He registered 329 tackles, 29 sacks and eight forced fumbles. But he did not have more than three sacks in any season over the last five years.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5276220

Last edited by Ugly Duck; 06-11-2010 at 01:40 PM..
Ugly Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Good signing for even more depth at an already deep and talented DL. Scary defense in Oakland, imo.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Good thing your offense is as scary as these guys:

Old 06-11-2010, 01:59 PM   #4
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Good thing your offense is as scary as these guys:

Their O is as gay as Ernie and Bert!

I agree, they have a good D.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:06 PM   #5
Ugly Duck

RF

Quote:
Good signing for even more depth at an already deep and talented DL. Scary defense in Oakland, imo.
Deep & talented? I wish! Our front four was almost the worst in the league - rush defense ranked #29. Should be better starting Henderson, Seymour, Tommy Kelly & 2nd round rook Lamar Houston.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:22 PM   #6
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Duck View Post
Deep & talented? I wish! Our front four was almost the worst in the league - rush defense ranked #29. Should be better starting Henderson, Seymour, Tommy Kelly & 2nd round rook Lamar Houston.
I was just going to say I thought they were overrated. I see now they are in fact terrible. Some of that was your horrid offense, though. Teams would get ahead and just run at you all day because they new Jafatass wouldn't do anything.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:40 PM   #7
Ugly Duck

RF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I was just going to say I thought they were overrated. I see now they are in fact terrible. Some of that was your horrid offense, though. Teams would get ahead and just run at you all day because they new Jafatass wouldn't do anything.
Don't tell anybody, but that is secretly the reason why our pass D is rated so high. Oakland defended against fewer passes than any team in the league last season. Sure made the stats look good at the end of the year, though!
Old 06-11-2010, 04:01 PM   #8
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Duck View Post
As well it should've been and yes, deep and talented.

Tommy Kelly is above average, but last season consisted primarily of him and Seymour and no one else.

Shaunessy's had a full season to develop, and I'll be really interested in seeing how Quentin Groves career bounces now that he's wearing silver and black.

So adding Henderson? Yeah, deep and talented is exactly how I'd refer to a DL with all those guys.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:06 PM   #9
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Oh and Desmond Bryant is in the same situation as Shaughnessy and will probably rotate in with Henderson.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:12 PM   #10
extralife
Ring of Famer

The Raiders are quietly having a really good offseason.

They're still going to need a receiver or three if they feel like doing something, though.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:00 PM   #11
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
As well it should've been and yes, deep and talented.

Tommy Kelly is above average, but last season consisted primarily of him and Seymour and no one else.

Shaunessy's had a full season to develop, and I'll be really interested in seeing how Quentin Groves career bounces now that he's wearing silver and black.

So adding Henderson? Yeah, deep and talented is exactly how I'd refer to a DL with all those guys.
Look like Tarzan.

Play like Jane.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:02 PM   #12
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli

Quote:
Look like Tarzan.

Play like Jane.
They are going to be dangerous this year without JaLardass holding them down.
400HZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:10 PM   #13
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400HZ View Post
They are going to be dangerous this year without JaLardass holding them down.
Oh I know. He single handedly lost them a ton of games. I'm not sleeping on the Raiders. I just don't think they're all they're cracked up to be. This year they're the sexy "break out" pick. The last few years it was the Chiefs. They were the preseason champions and now it's the Raiders. "Winning" the preseason is worthless.

To me the Raiders are what they always have been: A bunch of overpaid undisciplined athletes who play football when they feel like it. That's not a terrible team to have, but it's not going to win any Super Bowls.

I agree that having a QB they believe in will double their effort though. We'll see.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:35 PM   #14
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Look like Tarzan.

Play like Jane.
I don't think so man.

That doesn't fit Seymour at all. Or Henderson. Shaunessy had a fantastic rookie season primarily as a rotational player and should really hit the ground running this year. I think after years of being their best DL (well... after Burgess), Tommy Kelly is the weakest player. And they have solid rotational guys as well.

LBs look fantastic, as well. They're going to be very hard to run against and will absolutely get pressure.

Good thing Kyle plays so well when a play is disrupted.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:43 PM   #15
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Classic
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #16
Ugly Duck

RF

Quote:
To me the Raiders are what they always have been: A bunch of overpaid undisciplined athletes who play football when they feel like it.
Its been that way ever since the Gannon team faced its own coach in the SuperBowl, and it should be viewed that way until they prove otherwise. But there is actually a glimmer of evidence that at least that attitude is turning around. They just kinda pretended to go through the motions when Jabba was on the field - they were demoralized with him at QB. As you pointed out, just dumping him generated a change in attitude. But the real boost this offseason has been the addition of Hue Jackson as OC. He's getting better practices than Cable ever did - really riding the players & expecting a lot from them. Maybe this ain't saying much, but DHB has been the star receiver so far. The kid did a lot of work this offseason to get better. The appearance is that the team has gone from an absolute shambles to almost approaching a real NFL team... just through better coaching & a better attitude. Don't expect them to be quite as horrid as last year's disaster.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:01 AM   #17
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I don't think so man.

That doesn't fit Seymour at all. Or Henderson. Shaunessy had a fantastic rookie season primarily as a rotational player and should really hit the ground running this year. I think after years of being their best DL (well... after Burgess), Tommy Kelly is the weakest player. And they have solid rotational guys as well.
Henderson is pretty much washed up, hence the reason the Jags released him and no one signed him till now (and to a one year short money deal at that). Doesn't hurt to roll the dice that he can squeeze out one more quality season, but this looks like one of Shanny's Chester McGlockton/Leon Lett type of moves. Groves has been worthless so far in his career, that is not likely to change in Oakland. Kelly is decent, Seymour still has a year or two in the tank, Shaunessy does seem like an up and comer...who knows on Houston but rookie DTs don't typically contribute much anyway. "Deep" and "scary" are not really two words that come to mind with this front four. "OK" is more like it. Now, I do think there LBs looks pretty good.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote