The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2010, 11:12 AM   #1
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default Okay, All You Farmhands Out There...

As part of my never ending struggle to "get off the grid" my next goal is to get off the corporate produced food grid. That means organic farming, for one thing. I know a bit about that and am already working on it. What I don't know about, but want to get into, is keeping chickens and a cow. As a side, I also plan on getting into cheesemaking. ("Blessed are the cheesemakers.") Beekeeping will also be somewhere down the road (something I've always wanted to do). From what I've read, the Jersey seems to be the cow I want. Among the chickens, I'm leaning toward Rhode Island Reds and Wyandottes. Any experts out there on the OM? Advice?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
Popps
It's so easy

Funny, I was just looking into where to buy local, organic honey today. Found a place out in Ventura. Supposed to be great for seasonal allergies.

That said, I won't be raising any cattle here in LA any time soon.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:15 AM   #3
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

I have so much info on this subject I would not know where to start

look into permaculture for starters.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
Popps
It's so easy

(Obligatory internet insult below)

What a couple of ****ing hippies you guys are. Why don't you create a commune together and burn your bras.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:20 AM   #5
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I have so much info on this subject I would not know where to start

look into permaculture for starters.
I've read a bit about that. I believe we are trending in that direction. People are really getting fed up with the entire "mass produce everything" culture we have built for ourselves. I want quality over quantity. I want a plum that tastes like a plum, even if it's smaller, not some enormous, water filled plum flavored genetically designed freak.

What did Joni Mitchell sing? "Got to get back to the land and set my soul free."
Old 06-11-2010, 11:21 AM   #6
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
(Obligatory internet insult below)

What a couple of ****ing hippies you guys are. Why don't you create a commune together and burn your bras.
Yep. I'm letting my freak flag fly.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:23 AM   #7
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Oh good gravy...

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:24 AM   #8
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I've read a bit about that. I believe we are trending in that direction. People are really getting fed up with the entire "mass produce everything" culture we have built for ourselves. I want quality over quantity. I want a plum that tastes like a plum, even if it's smaller, not some enormous, water filled plum flavored genetically designed freak.

What did Joni Mitchell sing? "Got to get back to the land and set my soul free."
Seriously Permaculture is the framework to build you entire off the grid on. Here is is a great intro;

Old 06-11-2010, 11:25 AM   #9
Mr.Meanie
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Or you could just buy Organic, without having to retreat into the 19th century...
Mr.Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:25 AM   #10
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Yep. I'm letting my freak flag fly.
It's all good, man. I just had a medical "incident" due to a prescription drug reaction that ****ed me up something fierce for a couple of weeks. So, I'm so down with alternative means of health promotion, you just have no idea.

With all due respect to my friend Doc Broc., your average doctor couldn't find their ass with both hands, and the candy-drug, big phrma bull**** is just out of control. But, that's for another thread.

Not sure how serious you are about it, but I expect a lot of the Coloradans will have some good input here for you. Meck77 is a man of the earth. Maybe he'll chime in.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:26 AM   #11
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Buy local organic and in season fresh food.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:26 AM   #12
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Meanie View Post
Or you could just buy Organic, without having to retreat into the 19th century...
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:30 AM   #13
bronclvr
Ring of Famer

She is faster than you! 8.39 @ 156

Ro,

I am not a good guy to tell you about Chickens, but I know a bit about Cows and Agriculture (its part of what I do)-tell me more about your set-up-do you have pasture? If so, how much? Do you have the capability of producing Hay? How many acres, and do you have the Equipment to do so? Where are you located? Many more questions can be asked-
bronclvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:31 AM   #14
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

If the entire world just did organic farming...3 billion people would starve.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #15
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
It's all good, man. I just had a medical "incident" due to a prescription drug reaction that ****ed me up something fierce for a couple of weeks. So, I'm so down with alternative means of health promotion, you just have no idea.

With all due respect to my friend Doc Broc., your average doctor couldn't find their ass with both hands, and the candy-drug, big phrma bull**** is just out of control. But, that's for another thread.

Not sure how serious you are about it, but I expect a lot of the Coloradans will have some good input here for you. Meck77 is a man of the earth. Maybe he'll chime in.
Here is a great site on the horrors of big pharm.

http://www.naturalnews.com/

Last edited by baja; 06-11-2010 at 11:41 AM..
Old 06-11-2010, 11:33 AM   #16
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Meanie View Post
I was doing that until I read up on Horizon Milk at Cornucopia. (http://www.cornucopia.org/2008/01/da...and-scorecard/) Most organics are now owned by the same food giants that offer you Kraft Macaroni and Cheese and Hot Pockets. Even Organic Silk, the soy milk, is no longer produced by White Wave, although their name is still on the box. It's owned by a giant corporation that bought the White Wave name. The entire organic movement has been coopted by big industry who, under almost meaningless USDA regulations, can simply market the same crap for much higher profit.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:34 AM   #17
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Funny, I was just looking into where to buy local, organic honey today. Found a place out in Ventura.

that'a my home town...I miss driving down to Oxnard and buying strawberries
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:37 AM   #18
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
If the entire world just did organic farming...3 billion people would starve.

Well as long as about half of them are from Texas it won't really have any detrimental effects on overall world health, lets be honest, the good people of Texas could do with a bit of starvation....
gyldenlove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:39 AM   #19
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Organic cheese is the shizznit, there is a small organic private dairy plant not far from where I grew up, their cheese is delicious.

What kind of cheese do you want to do?
gyldenlove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:40 AM   #20
bronclvr
Ring of Famer

She is faster than you! 8.39 @ 156

Quote:
I was doing that until I read up on Horizon Milk at Cornucopia. (http://www.cornucopia.org/2008/01/da...and-scorecard/) Most organics are now owned by the same food giants that offer you Kraft Macaroni and Cheese and Hot Pockets. Even Organic Silk, the soy milk, is no longer produced by White Wave, although their name is still on the box. It's owned by a giant corporation that bought the White Wave name. The entire organic movement has been coopted by big industry who, under almost meaningless USDA regulations, can simply market the same crap for much higher profit.

No surprise there, however (unless you are a conspiracy theorist) there are regulations and standards that productrs that are labeled Organic must adhere to-

Did you know that it is illiegal for a large Corporation to own a Farm in Nebraska? they get around it by paying large Farmers to buy and Farm it-
bronclvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:42 AM   #21
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronclvr View Post
Ro,

I am not a good guy to tell you about Chickens, but I know a bit about Cows and Agriculture (its part of what I do)-tell me more about your set-up-do you have pasture? If so, how much? Do you have the capability of producing Hay? How many acres, and do you have the Equipment to do so? Where are you located? Many more questions can be asked-
I'm not set up yet. It's our next move, to sell out the suburban digs and buy land. Get out of the city. I don't want to go commercial with it, just run an outfit that takes care of the family and maybe a bit on the side. Is it feasible for a family to have a Jersey cow or two and do this? I'm assuming we'll be looking somewhere in California so I don't know if winter hay is a necessity as the forage would be available year round out there.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:44 AM   #22
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Organic cheese is the shizznit, there is a small organic private dairy plant not far from where I grew up, their cheese is delicious.

What kind of cheese do you want to do?
From my reading on the subject so far, you can pretty much do anything you like. Like anything, you have to start with the best ingredients. From what I've read so far, Jerseys make the richest milk, so I figure that's a good start.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:44 AM   #23
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
I'm not set up yet. It's our next move, to sell out the suburban digs and buy land. Get out of the city. I don't want to go commercial with it, just run an outfit that takes care of the family and maybe a bit on the side. Is it feasible for a family to have a Jersey cow or two and do this? I'm assuming we'll be looking somewhere in California so I don't know if winter hay is a necessity as the forage would be available year round out there.
You might want to reconsider the cow thing

http://www.notmilk.com/
Old 06-11-2010, 11:45 AM   #24
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

goats are a better option
Old 06-11-2010, 11:46 AM   #25