The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2010, 11:32 PM   #1
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default Eddie Royal Interview on Sirius

So my daughter cleaned up in the award section of her kindergarten graduation, so I took her to magic kingdom today to celebrate. Anyways, on the ride home I caught the replay of movin the chains where they had a fantastic interview with Eddie. It was about an hour ago so I'll paraphrase what I remember to the best of my ability:

RE drop in production: He didn't even mention any injury issues or kick return duties. Blamed it solely on the new situation and guys trying to get comfortable with each other and with the system.

RE rookie receivers: Said Thomas is out there (which puzzled me... thought we just got news that he'd be out until roughly TC time?) and says his size makes him hard to cover and he shows good acceleration after the catch. Didn't say anything notable/memorable on Decker due to injury.

RE Tebow: Loves his attitude. Hardest worked on the team. Way ahead of where he figured a rookie QB would be (ie: already pointing out the Mike at the line, etc). Always the first to congratulate players after a big play. Can make every throw this offense requires. Amazed at how drastically he's improved since earlier camps. And several more minutes of praise.

RE Orton: Likes him as a person and a player. Seems more comfortable in the offense (pretty much word for word... literally that short, Tim Ryans lead in and question were 5 times as long as the answer)

RE Quinn: Kinda zoned out here but he mentioned that he's learning the offense and has shown great improvement in it and more along those lines.

RE what position he'll play: Doesn't know. McD trains the receivers at each position. Still getting a feel for the team and who will play where, etc. To which Tim Ryan replied "See you in the slot, bro!"

And some small talk.

GREAT interview. Sorry I couldn't remember more and that this is short, but I'm wrecked from a really, really long day.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2010, 11:52 PM   #2
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Thanks for breaking it down good interview.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:01 AM   #3
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Thanks Rev....really appreciate that.

Interesting that he spent several minutes on Tebow and like a line on Orton.

Also....on Bay Bay...I believe that earlier report was erroneous...there was an article on the team site about him returning to practice a week or so ago.

Stacy Coley.....Speed Kills!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:45 AM   #4
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post

Also....on Bay Bay...I believe that earlier report was erroneous...there was an article on the team site about him returning to practice a week or so ago.
Yeah, Thomas has been practicing WITH the team now, as is Ryan Harris. Decker is still out.

Looks like the youth of the team is shifting to Tebow, while the vets are still about Orton.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:31 AM   #5
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Great recap

Eddie will have a big bounce back year. Just ask any of us who went to camp last year, dude was the focal point of the offense the entire time and we were thinking he was due for over 100 catches. After Marshall got back and into the lineup, Orton just got locked onto the big target a bit too much and before long Eddie was forgotten. He was still open a lot (as were Stokley, Graham and Moreno/Buck) and Orton just didn't see him. If Thomas and Decker can develop into the players we think they can, those two plus Eddie and Jabar gives us a really good WR corps who bring different skillsets but all fit into the framework of our offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
RE rookie receivers: Said Thomas is out there (which puzzled me... thought we just got news that he'd be out until roughly TC time?)
He started practicing, limited, last week.

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denver...-on-the-field/

Last edited by montrose; 06-11-2010 at 01:35 AM..
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:30 AM   #6
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I love Royal. Hopefully Tebow is ready fast. It would be nice to have a QB that can get Royal the ball again. Last season was so disappointing after what he did as a rookie.

Last edited by jhns; 06-11-2010 at 07:07 AM..
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:43 AM   #7
DarkHorse
RPM Racer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny McKinley

Thanks for the recap!
DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:03 AM   #8
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

If I were a receiver in this offense, I think that I would be praying that Tebow would be ready earlier rather then later as well. ;-)
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:11 AM   #9
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostknight View Post
If I were a receiver in this offense, I think that I would be praying that Tebow would be ready earlier rather then later as well. ;-)
It's interesting that people feel this way considering this story from back in March.

Gator WR enjoys having 'a real quarterback'
Posted by John Taylor on March 22, 2010 8:26 PM ET

Tim Tebow has accumulated more than his fair share of detractors over the last three months, and figures to accumulate even more in the weeks leading up to the NFL draft. From draft analysts to general members of the media to fans, there seem to be individuals around every corner looking to take a shot at the former Florida quarterback and his pro potential.

Now, however, even a former teammate is looking to get in a shot or two on the former Heisman winner for how he orchestrated the QB position at the collegiate level.

Aside from Urban Meyer's return, the biggest storyline for the Gators this spring is John Brantley taking over UF's offense. Brantley is more of a throw-first QB, especially when compared to Tebow's "go through two reads, run like Pamplona bull into opposing defense" style of play.

The differences between the two quarterbacks has not been lost on his teammates, especially wide receiver Deonte Thompson. And, whether or not Thompson meant it to come out the way it did, his words as quoted by the Orlando Sentinel when talking about the differences between Brantley and Tebow were a direct, biting shot at the latter.

"You never know with Tim," Thompson said. "He can bolt. You think he's running but he'll come up and pass it to you. You just have to be ready. With Brantley, everything's with rhythm, with time. You know, a real quarterback."

Ummm, ouch?

Obviously, this means little or nothing as far as the 2010 Florida Gators are concerned, but it's still a little jarring to see an ex-teammate take a shot -- however indirect or unintentional it may have been -- at one of the iconic college football players in the last quarter century.

Again -- "A real quarterback"

That stings me and I'm pretty much agnostic -- compared to most -- when it comes to Tebow. And, I would assume, it's a quote that Urban Meyer will not appreciate when it comes to his attention, especially in light of the criticism he's received for what observers see as a QB woefully prepared for success at the next level.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...l-quarterback/
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:28 AM   #10
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
It's interesting that people feel this way considering this story from back in March.

Tim Tebow has accumulated more than his fair share of detractors over the last three months, and figures to accumulate even more in the weeks leading up to the NFL draft. From draft analysts to general members of the media to fans, there seem to be individuals around every corner looking to take a shot at the former Florida quarterback and his pro potential.

Now, however, even a former teammate is looking to get in a shot or two on the former Heisman winner for how he orchestrated the QB position at the collegiate level.

Aside from Urban Meyer's return, the biggest storyline for the Gators this spring is John Brantley taking over UF's offense. Brantley is more of a throw-first QB, especially when compared to Tebow's "go through two reads, run like Pamplona bull into opposing defense" style of play.

The differences between the two quarterbacks has not been lost on his teammates, especially wide receiver Deonte Thompson. And, whether or not Thompson meant it to come out the way it did, his words as quoted by the Orlando Sentinel when talking about the differences between Brantley and Tebow were a direct, biting shot at the latter.

"You never know with Tim," Thompson said. "He can bolt. You think he's running but he'll come up and pass it to you. You just have to be ready. With Brantley, everything's with rhythm, with time. You know, a real quarterback."

Ummm, ouch?

Obviously, this means little or nothing as far as the 2010 Florida Gators are concerned, but it's still a little jarring to see an ex-teammate take a shot -- however indirect or unintentional it may have been -- at one of the iconic college football players in the last quarter century.

That stings me and I'm pretty much agnostic -- compared to most -- when it comes to Tebow. And, I would assume, it's a quote that Urban Meyer will not appreciate when it comes to his attention, especially in light of the criticism he's received for what observers see as a QB woefully prepared for success at the next level.

I can remember a few times where WRs-turned-commentators pointed out they preferred playing with pocket-passers.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:33 AM   #11
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
I can remember a few times where WRs-turned-commentators pointed out they preferred playing with pocket-passers.
I can see that for sure too, I read something interesting a couple years ago that talked about the personality traits of each position and obviously WR was top of the list in terms of needing attention

aside from timing and some game dynamics I bet most WR's don't like the Tebow types because it detracts from their stats and attention...and the NFL being such a stick/carrot driven league in terms of compensation I suppose I can understand that

it will be interesting to see if and when Tebow cracks the #1 spot how many "team guys" just accept the wins or b**** about the stats
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:42 AM   #12
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:

Ummm, ouch?

This was already brought in the Meyers thread about him going off on the reporter. If you watch the interview, that statement was blown out of proportion and being taken out of context. I still have big concerns about Tebow, but I think he getting thrown under the bus with that PFW article.
elsid13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:10 AM   #13
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:

Ummm, ouch?

All that winning must be tough on the WRs
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:17 AM   #14
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post

I'm not reading into it. Maybe he just didn't have much to say yet.

It DOES bother me because I wanted to hear more about Orton. I wanted to know if he's sacked up and his attempting deep balls yet. I wanted to know if feeling more comfortable in the system is aiding his pocket presence. I wanted to know details!

Oh well. Great interview.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:38 AM   #15
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Well you saw the year Royal has with Orton so it is no wonder he appears to not be a big fan of Kyle.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:39 AM   #16
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

Pete Carroll is a douche

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

They're throwing deep a lot in practice this year. Whether that means they're actually improving at doing it, I haven't heard one way or the other.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:43 AM   #17
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
All that winning must be tough on the WRs
Urban Meyers. What a fuggin' douche bag...

Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:52 AM   #18
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

At least d-bag apologized.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:18 AM   #19
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

If we're throwing deep with Orton our receivers better practice playing DB, they will need it. This guy can't hit the side of the barn beyond 25 yards.
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:50 PM   #20
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post
If we're throwing deep with Orton our receivers better practice playing DB, they will need it. This guy can't hit the side of the barn beyond 25 yards.
Why do people say **** like this? It's obviously not true. Plummer fit that description better than Orton.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:04 PM   #21
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowspot66 View Post
Why do people say **** like this? It's obviously not true. Plummer fit that description better than Orton.
I disagree.

When Plummer bootlegged to the right he was money at Lelie IF he had the room to step into it. There were some off by a good margin but usually due to other circumstances.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:28 PM   #22
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I disagree.

When Plummer bootlegged to the right he was money at Lelie IF he had the room to step into it. There were some off by a good margin but usually due to other circumstances.
That was the only pass Plummer could make consistently at any distance. If he wasn't on the bootleg he was garbage as a passer. A damned mystery how that works out but he was like 112 QB rating on the bootleg and miserable anywhere else.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:16 PM   #23
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
Go back and watch some games from last year. I saw every one. Ever wonder why there were 8 in the box against us consistently ? Marshall bailed his ass out with an acrobatic catch whenever we did hit one long. It was never on target.
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:58 AM   #24
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Well, Orton isn't exactly an incredibly accurate QB. He's a decent starter, but a wee bit erratic.

I understand why some people feel it's necessary to take shots at the guy every chance they get, I did the same thing quite a bit with Plummer.
Cito Pelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:24 AM   #25
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
That was the only pass Plummer could make consistently at any distance. If he wasn't on the bootleg he was garbage as a passer. A damned mystery how that works out but he was like 112 QB rating on the bootleg and miserable anywhere else.
It wasn't 112 on bootlegs, it was QB rating of 112 when he was outside the tackles. He rated so high there, because he could see(didn't have lineman blocking his passing lanes) and outside the pocket limited his reads. Inside the pocket he struggled and that is the reason that Culter was drafted, because the offense was beginning to struggle as DCs got film of Plummer in Shanny's offense.
elsid13 is online now   Reply With Quote