The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2010, 01:05 AM   #1
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21ís No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15
Default Broncos playing hardball with Dumervil

http://www.denverpost.com/broncoshea...paign=twitter#

In their latest round of contract negotiations, the Broncos threw a cut block at NFL sack king Elvis Dumervil.

According to an NFL Players Associations source, the Broncos recently sent a letter to Dumervil stating that if he didn't sign his restricted free-agent tender of $3.168 million by Monday, the team on Tuesday would exercise its right to reduce his 2010 salary to 10 percent above what he made the previous season.

Dumervil made roughly $573,000 last season, which would put his 2010 salary at about $630,000 if he doesn't sign his tender. Would the Broncos really play hardball with their Pro Bowl linebacker by paying him a relative pittance?

The union source said New England's Logan Mankins and San Diego's Vincent Jackson along with Marcus McNeill were among unsigned restricted free agents who received similar letters. Although such letters are not uncommon, and Dumervil had intended to sign his tender this weekend, the Broncos declined to make the goodwill, negotiating gesture of not reducing his salary if he opted not to sign.

After leading the NFL with 17 sacks last season, and recording 43 sacks through his four seasons, Dumervil, 26, wants to be among the league's five highest-paid pass rushers. The Chicago Bears recently gave a $42 million guaranteed contract to Julius Peppers, who is 30 and coming off a 10 1/2-sack season. Last summer, Baltimore signed Terrell Suggs, who was coming off an eight-sack season, to a $38.1 million guarantee.

The next contract deadline involving Dumervil and the Broncos is July 29, when veterans report for training camp. While other restricted free agents have threatened to hold out from training camp if they don't get a new deal, Dumervil has said he hopes to never reach that decision.

He will attend the Broncos' mandatory minicamp Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2010, 01:41 AM   #2
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Seems like what you do is sign it, have a great yr, then try again for the big pay day. Not saying it's fair but it's just how it is.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:12 AM   #3
meangene
Ring of Famer

I still believe we will sign Doom to a long-term deal before the season starts. I know the letter is a business formality being done around the league with guys who have not signed their tenders, but, they are missing out on a chance to make a real good faith gesture with him. I hope this does not sour what have been, thus far, cordial negotiations. Not a smart move IMO.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:32 AM   #4
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

I think we'll sign him to a long term deal - before the season if not before training camp!

I don't necessarily think he's top 5 OLB in the league (I know you all probably do)

But I do think he's the best that we have and we do NOT want to lose him. So I'm really hoping they pay - even if they have to slightly over pay
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:50 AM   #5
extralife
Ring of Famer

After signing Kuper, it would be an insult to ignore Doom. Who knows what the hell we're thinking.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:53 AM   #6
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Just pay the man and lets move on.
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:27 AM   #7
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

They want him to sign the tender and THEN sign an extension. I think Doom just wants a new contract in place of this year's tender. Can't say I blame either party, but something's got to give.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:10 AM   #8
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Yeah, he wants more that the $3m for 2010...not a deal that pays him the tender this year and then starts out in 2011.

Personally, I don't think he's worth that coin...he's one dimensional...which he's very good at...but, he's not worth Champ Bailey coin in my opinion.

$40-$50m over 6yrs fine...more than that...I'm not sure he's worth it.
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:21 AM   #9
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilife View Post
Just pay the man and lets move on.
we've seen this before
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:23 AM   #10
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

This is a matter of business policy. You have to let it be known that this is how every circumstance of an RFA not signing their tender will be handled. If you start making exceptions, then you start running into problems down the line. I'd be shocked if Elvis and his agent hadn't already discussed this with the team and weren't expecting it. This is just trying to make news out of no news.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:24 AM   #11
AlienBronco
Seasoned Veteran

Playing DE he get's to the QB...., at the LB position he get's to the QB....
He can't be denied. To me he is a certified QB Doom machine. A QB sack is as important as a Interception by a CB so in regard to Champ Bailey he is worth every penny.

Pay the man.
AlienBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:58 AM   #12
dbfan21
Floridian living in KS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I am not real crazy about the fact they have elected to play hardball with Doom. He has been in the OTAs (for the most part) and has towed the company line, which is something McD wants.

So why won't they just give him a contract that reflects the production he's had in Denver over the last four years and the value he brings to the table for the next 5-6 years?

Get this done so we can focus on football!!
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:06 AM   #13
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
Yeah, he wants more that the $3m for 2010...not a deal that pays him the tender this year and then starts out in 2011.

Personally, I don't think he's worth that coin...he's one dimensional...which he's very good at...but, he's not worth Champ Bailey coin in my opinion.

$40-$50m over 6yrs fine...more than that...I'm not sure he's worth it.
I agree that this is a contract ploy. However, DEN would still have to put guaranteed money on the table this year to sign a long term deal. Teams do that all the time and give real small base salaries in the gauranteed money years to offset actual cash outlay.

As for paying him, he is only 26 and in the prime of a top pass rusher. That is serious money on the line, the NFL pays for pass rushers way more than cover CB's...

As for paying him, I still think the NFL pays too much to the players today. They get a ridiculous amount of the pie for the product and still cry like babies and having to "feed their Families" That is the most degrading statement to people who actually have to work all kinds of jobs to actually feed theirs and have no money to actually go to an overpriced game.

I have seen what these guys do with the money they get and buying 30% of your salary in custom cars and 50% in housing is not "Feeding your Family" I hate generalizations, but the NFL keeps incredibly accurate financial statistics on the way the players spend money once they get it. They monitor it to "protect the players" which is another ridiculous motivation statement. They do it because 85% of the players in the league have blown through their money within 3 years of being out of the league and want more money from the NFL.

I would pay Elvis though. He has done nothing but deserve to be paid and be as professional as possible. He is the guy you give the big payday, unless they know something we don't about his life.

Last edited by Mediator12; 06-10-2010 at 07:20 AM..
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:07 AM   #14
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
I agree that this is a contract ploy. However, DEN would still have to put guaranteed money on the table this year to sign a long term deal. Teams do that all the time and give real small base salaries in the gauranteed money years to offset actual cash outlay.

As for paying him, he is only 26 and in the prime of a top pass rusher. That is serious money on the line, the NFL pays for pass rushers way more than cover CB's...
not way more...top corners are 13-16, which is higher than most NFL positions.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:08 AM   #15
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

I want him here, but for as little money as possible.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:17 AM   #16
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

now pft and nfp have picked up on this and making it a bigger story than it is, and people wonder why mcdaniels gets a bad rap. every team in the nfl is doing this, but when mcdaniels does it, hes a stupid idiot poopyhead. cant wait til mock checks in on this post.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:22 AM   #17
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
This is a matter of business policy. You have to let it be known that this is how every circumstance of an RFA not signing their tender will be handled. If you start making exceptions, then you start running into problems down the line. I'd be shocked if Elvis and his agent hadn't already discussed this with the team and weren't expecting it. This is just trying to make news out of no news.
This. This exactly.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:23 AM   #18
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
now pft and nfp have picked up on this and making it a bigger story than it is, and people wonder why mcdaniels gets a bad rap. every team in the nfl is doing this, but when mcdaniels does it, hes a stupid idiot poopyhead. cant wait til mock checks in on this post.
Stop with the persecution complex. It is being reported on by other teams, players and situations. Not just the Broncos.

Here is one on San Diego.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5267660
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:25 AM   #19
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm View Post
Stop with the persecution complex. It is being reported on by other teams, players and situations. Not just the Broncos.

Here is one on San Diego.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5267660
yes im aware, but go read nfp or pft, they discuss how dumervil has been a team player but mcdaniels is going to dump his salary anyway. i just hate the media sensationalism of all this bs
Old 06-10-2010, 07:30 AM   #20
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfan21 View Post
I am not real crazy about the fact they have elected to play hardball with Doom. He has been in the OTAs (for the most part) and has towed the company line, which is something McD wants.
This. And this is exactly why showing some good faith in return by not sending him the letter threatening to reduce the tender would not set a bad precedent. In fact, I think it would send a positive message about how to go about negotiating a new contract in the right way.

As for his value, right now he IS our pass rush and the only impact player in our front seven. He is an elite pass rusher in the prime of his career who is a team player in the mold we want. He is a guy we need to get signed. Terrell Suggs is the most recent signing of a similar type player that I can think of.

This was his deal: Signed a six-year, $62.5 million contract. The heavily front-loaded deal contains $38.1 million guaranteed, including a $10.1 million signing bonus and Suggs' full first-year salary. 2009: $5 million, 2010: $1.9 million (+ $23 million option bonus due in March), 2011: $3.4 million (including salary and bonuses), 2012: $4.9 million (including salary and bonuses), 2013-2014: Under Contract, 2015: Free Agent
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:49 AM   #21
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
After signing Kuper, it would be an insult to ignore Doom. Who knows what the hell we're thinking.
I want Doom locked up here, no question. He deserves a solid contract.

But comparing Kuper's contract to the kind of contract a guy like Doom will demand is just stupid, they aren't even in the same ball park

Hell, they aren't even in the same continent.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:52 AM   #22
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

This guy has made all the signs of goodwill. The Broncos office apparently not. Why am I not surprised?
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:56 AM   #23
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostknight View Post
This guy has made all the signs of goodwill. The Broncos office apparently not. Why am I not surprised?
Are you really so stupid that you don't realize that this is just standard business practice?

Did you think McD and company were just giggling and rubbing their hands together all sinister like before sending this out, thinking "ooohhhhh boy, wait until he sees THIS!!"

my God you are ****ing dumb
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:02 AM   #24
mr007
I'm not your buddy, guy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
yes im aware, but go read nfp or pft, they discuss how dumervil has been a team player but mcdaniels is going to dump his salary anyway. i just hate the media sensationalism of all this bs
Do you see a similar situation with another player in the NFL? The only one I can think of is Patrick Willis and his team took care of him pretty quickly.
mr007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:05 AM   #25
mr007
I'm not your buddy, guy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
It's news, how are they making it a bigger story than it is? Give me one similar situation in the NFL that hasn't been reported by one of those sites... ohh wait, you can't? Who called him a poopyhead on pft? Pretty sure they're just stating what's happening and what the potential outcome is.
mr007 is offline   Reply With Quote