The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2010, 01:39 PM   #1
Ugly Duck
Proof: SD fans DO exist!

RF

Default ESPN: Ranking the Top AFCW D-linemen

1. Richard Seymour, Oakland: Seymour is, by far, the best defensive lineman in this division. Itís not even close. Still, Seymour, who is entering his second season in Oakland, has plenty to prove. Seymour, 30, has to show he is still in his prime and he can bounce back from an inconsistent first season in Oakland.

2. Luis Castillo, San Diego: Castillo is a nice player. But he probably should be the second-best defensive lineman in a division. Heís solid, not great.

3. Glenn Dorsey, Kansas City: This was tough. I guess I still believe in Dorsey. But he has to show more in this third NFL season. He was expected to be much better than he has shown so far.

4. Jacques Cesaire, San Diego: A solid journeyman. He should be lower on this list next year if other players develop as expected.

5. Tyson Jackson, Kansas City: Like Dorsey, Jackson has to show up better than his rookie season. He was nowhere near as productive as the No. 3 overall pick is expected to be. But heís a hard worker and he should make strides in his second season.

6. Justin Bannan, Denver: This free-agent pickup is underrated. Heís versatile and he knows how to play winning football.

7. Jamal Williams, Denver: The former Charger may be on his last leg. But until he hangs it up, this massive nose tackle has to be respected.

8. Tommy Kelly, Oakland: Kelly is a big, well-paid man. But he is an underachiever.

9. Lamarr Houston, Oakland: Houston was drafted in the second round this year to help Oaklandís terrible run defense. The tackle looks like he will be very active.

10. Jarvis Green. Denver: This free-agent pickup is a decent pro. Heíll help Denver.

11. Vaughn Martin, San Diego: The second-year player is an interesting prospect. He is very raw, but talented.

12. Cam Thomas, San Diego: I like this fifth-round steal. Expect him to get a chance to replace Williams right away.

13. Wallace Gilberry, Kansas City: This is a diamond in the rough. Gilberry is a project who has nice pass-rush skills.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/13330/13330
Ugly Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2010, 01:42 PM   #2
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Glen Dorsey in the top 15?
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:43 PM   #3
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

glenn dorsey and tyson jackon, two monumental busts, made the top 10 list?

AFCW has pretty horrifying Dline players/depth.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
Bleed n Orange
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

so C Thomas with out stepping a foot on the field is 12, but Fields who actually played in the NFL is unranked? I'm all for potential and all but a 5th round rookie who has never palyed is better than a veteran who has started?
Bleed n Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:46 PM   #5
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Glen Dorsey in the top 15?

Bob will be in soon.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:51 PM   #6
phibacka31
Ring of Famer

Leggo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Pretty horrid ranking... though I do agree that it's pretty slim pickings...
phibacka31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:59 PM   #7
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli

I can name 7 or 8 individual teams that have more defensive line talent than the AFC West. Sad.
400HZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:17 PM   #8
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Duck View Post
6. Justin Bannan, Denver: This free-agent pickup is underrated. Heís versatile and he knows how to play winning football.
He's not underrated by those who know ... just look at his contract.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:21 PM   #9
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400HZ View Post
I can name 7 or 8 individual teams that have more defensive line talent than the AFC West. Sad.
Heh, I know. Very frustrating.
listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:29 PM   #10
OCBronco
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Burger Bill. Always good for a few laughs.

And, by the way, as much as I bag on Josina for being an awful reporter, Williamson is just as bad, if not worse.
OCBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #11
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

I'm suprised Bill put any Broncos on the list... it's not like the Broncos improved an already good and "relatively" young defensive line or anything... it's not like the Broncos defensive line was better than the faider's or the chef's defensive lines last year or anything... thanks for keeping it real Bill....
Tombstone RJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:17 PM   #12
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Outside of Seymour (and Oakland), the AFC West d-linemen are unremarkable because they're all 3-4 teams. In general, only elite NTs stand out and unless Jamal bounces back from his injuries and overcomes the age factor, there aren't any in the AFC West.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:26 PM   #13
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post

Maybe he doesn't deserve to be in the Top 10 yet....but labeling Tyson Jackson a 'monumental bust' after one season is as idiotic as when people do it with Alphonso.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:40 PM   #14
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm View Post
Maybe he doesn't deserve to be in the Top 10 yet....but labeling Tyson Jackson a 'monumental bust' after one season is as idiotic as when people do it with Alphonso.
Yeah, it's way too early to call him a bust.

But IMO, neither Jackson or Dorsey will live up to their draft status because of the position they play.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:14 PM   #15
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Well I watch almost all the KC game living in Kansas
Dorsey actually showed some progress last year
he may pan out, but he is still much better suited in a 4 man front not a 3 man one
Tyson Jackson was garbage, I have no idea why he is even on that list let alone 5th overall
he may be good eventually, but right now he is nowhere near the 5th best linemen, even in a division with such underwhelming talent at the position
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:34 PM   #16
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaneer View Post
Yeah, it's way too early to call him a bust.

But IMO, neither Jackson or Dorsey will live up to their draft status because of the position they play.
I think Dorsey will make an impact in a few years but for a different team. Tyson Jackson was never a good prospect and will never be anything close to what Seymour is.
400HZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:37 PM   #17
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

There is certainly a decent amount of potential along the lines in the West - but nothing that stands out right now!
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:39 PM   #18
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400HZ View Post
I think Dorsey will make an impact in a few years but for a different team. Tyson Jackson was never a good prospect and will never be anything close to what Seymour is.
Harsh.

I agree that Jackson won't be Seymour but he was still a good prospect. Perhaps not as high as he was drafted but a top 15 pick certainly.

Dorsey has talent as well, but he suits one scheme better than another. And at this point, I don't think that it's theirs.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:15 PM   #19
kmartin575
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:

Umm, how the **** do you call a guy who didn't shine in his first year a bust. As far as I am concerned, almost no player should be called a bust in his first 3 years. Sure Jackson was drafted higher and has more expectations because of that but I have just as much reason to call Ayers a bust because he didn't do **** his first year either.

And Glenn Dorsey a bust? He hasn't been the pass rushing terror he was thought to be but what do you expect when he is switched to a 3-4 DE? He was actually quite good last year and it was evident when he was out of the lineup that he started to come along quite well.

But hey, let's just call guys busts without any proof to back it up. And if a guy isn't all world his first year then he will never improve.
kmartin575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:18 PM   #20
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmartin575 View Post
Umm, how the **** do you call a guy who didn't shine in his first year a bust. As far as I am concerned, almost no player should be called a bust in his first 3 years. Sure Jackson was drafted higher and has more expectations because of that but I have just as much reason to call Ayers a bust because he didn't do **** his first year either.

And Glenn Dorsey a bust? He hasn't been the pass rushing terror he was thought to be but what do you expect when he is switched to a 3-4 DE? He was actually quite good last year and it was evident when he was out of the lineup that he started to come along quite well.

But hey, let's just call guys busts without any proof to back it up. And if a guy isn't all world his first year then he will never improve.
ok, lets put it this way, tyson graded out absolutely horribly last year as a starting DE. can he get better? sure. but its more of a "ill believe it when i see it" thing.

glenn dorsey was the #5 overall pick and has done nothing in the NFL to justify that thus far.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:54 PM   #21
Steve Sewell
Oh Tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Patrick and Ty's pimp

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Reggie Rivers

Quote:

"AFCW has pretty horrifying beat writers" would be the more accurate statement.
Steve Sewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:37 PM   #22
kmartin575
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
ok, lets put it this way, tyson graded out absolutely horribly last year as a starting DE. can he get better? sure. but its more of a "ill believe it when i see it" thing.

glenn dorsey was the #5 overall pick and has done nothing in the NFL to justify that thus far.
Hey, I agree Jackson wasn't very good last year. But calling him a bust is ridiculous. This article is obviously more of a projection than a current status of the rankings. Do I agree with doing it that way? Probably not, but oh well.

As far as Dorsey goes, just because of the position he plays now he will probably never live up to his draft status. But that does not make him a bad player, because he was actually quite good last year.
kmartin575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:15 AM   #23
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:

You love making proclamations way too early.

Claiming Dorsey to be a total bust this early is plain stupid. If he is a 'monumental bust', what is Alphonso Smith?
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:21 AM   #24
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

KingNeckBeard: I was ho-rocketing some skanks in a line with Jack-D hammer last night.

Last edited by Doggcow; 06-08-2010 at 10:24 AM..
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:27 AM   #25
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

That GIF is great.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote