The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2010, 08:21 AM   #1
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default Tebow’s past no longer matters

Tebow’s past no longer matters

by Burt Grossman
June 06, 02010

This is the season of NFL minicamps, and with that comes some expected moves that, while not surprising, do open up the floodgates of speculation. Take the Broncos cutting third-string QB Tom Brandstater as an example. With the move, Tim Tebow moves up to third-string QB. This is by no means a shocker, and anyone that actually didn’t see this move coming or thought it a possibility that the Broncos would carry four QBs on their roster is completely clueless.

Tim TebowAPHow far can Tim Tebow climb up the depth chart in Denver?

Tebow is an interesting case; he is a lifelong proven winner in just about every endeavor he has dabbled in both on and off the field. The question is whether or not his most valued asset — leadership — translates to the NFL. If it does, he is a steal at the 25th pick; if it doesn’t, the pick was still probably worth the gamble simply based on his upside.

I can assure you of a couple things. NFL leadership is based on much different criteria than high school or college leadership. In the NFL, you have reached the pinnacle of the sport and, in essence, weeded out all the followers on a roster because of the level of accomplishment, talent and pay. The only thing that demands respect is your play. Leadership is defined by if you can make the play when it counts, not whether you carry a Bible, live a Christian lifestyle, are faithful to your wife or kiss your mother goodnight. None of that matters anymore. All that matters is what you do on any given Sunday on the field — not in the chapel.

This isn’t to say that there’s anything wrong with Tebow’s Christian faith or clean lifestyle. It is just a fact that it is weightless from here on out in the locker room. The NFL is similar to prison in that they both have an abundance of hypocrites that trade the grape-flavored blunt or forty of Old English for a few hours with their Bibles in the weekly Bible study meetings. Again, there is nothing wrong with this. But it doesn’t translate to football respect anymore than Tebow looking sharp in minicamp completing a ten-yard out against cover two with the corners off 12 yards and no pass rush.

There is an increasing negative image issue building in the NFL, whether it’s because of the billionaire owners arguing with the millionaire players over money during these tough economic times or the daily crime report that implicates yet another NFL player. Or, of course, paternity suits, steroids, guns, Big Ben, etc. Tebow may be the next Gerry Cooney — a great white hope. Or, in his case, just some hope. The fact that a fourth-string player leads all jersey sales in the NFL is a testament to that.

The one thing that is evident with Tebow is that he is a winner. I don’t think anyone would or could argue that fact. Can he learn to take snaps under center and adjust to the speed and complexity of NFL coverages and blitzes? I don’t know. But part of working on his much-documented poor footwork and mechanics and why it has been such a critical issue is because it is vital to his transition into the NFL. When you hear someone say a player ran a 4.9 forty but that he is football fast, it means he uses angles and doesn’t take false wasted steps on the field. You may run a 4.3 forty, but once you take three wasted steps or take a wrong angle on the field you become a 4.9 guy real quick. The same goes for QBs. Everything is about delivering the ball at a certain spot with split-second timing. Bad footwork means wasted time and decreased velocity on the pass, and a hitch in your throwing motion adds another split second to the arrival of the ball. After all, it’s a game of inches. All these mechanical issues associated with Tebow relate into “inches.”

I read about one NFL scout who said he didn’t care if Tebow dug a ditch with his throwing motion because the kid’s a winner. Well, he should care because the safety that gets a few grand in incentives per pick in his contract will. Because bad footwork slows down the velocity on the pass, and the hitch in his throwing motion will add to the delay in its arrival, and it’ll turn into a pick six the other way. The safety will then see new spinner rims for his Bentley — not a good Christian that’s a “winner” and an all- around good guy.

I don’t know if Tebow or the Broncos can correct these issues, but if I was betting on it being possible I would bet on Tebow. He will never be an Elway or Marino simply because he doesn’t have that kind of gun, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him become another Steve Young. This one is going to take a few years to play out, but if it’s physically possible, Tim Tebow is the kind of person that I would bet on to make it happen.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...r-matters.html
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2010, 08:31 AM   #2
USMCBladerunner
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

the premise is trivially obvious...the article itself is an abomination...
USMCBladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
I can assure you of a couple things. NFL leadership is based on much different criteria than high school or college leadership. In the NFL, you have reached the pinnacle of the sport and, in essence, weeded out all the followers on a roster because of the level of accomplishment, talent and pay. The only thing that demands respect is your play. Leadership is defined by if you can make the play when it counts, not whether you carry a Bible, live a Christian lifestyle, are faithful to your wife or kiss your mother goodnight. None of that matters anymore. All that matters is what you do on any given Sunday on the field — not in the chapel.
That is utter bull****. Marvin Harrison is going in the hall of fame, he may be one of the 5 best WRs ever but was he ever a leader in the NFL? Leadership is about personality, some people become epicenters of the locker room almost regardless of their play, simply because of their personality.

Tebow will be a leader in the NFL from the day he is given the starting job, he is a guy other players gravitate to and he is someone who never backs down from a challenge and never turns his tail in the face problems.

Does anyone think Mcarthur was a great soldier? or Patton? or Lee? They were leaders because of their personality and because of the way they tackled problems, that is what Tebow will do as well and that is why I have no doubt as soon as he gets in that starting huddle he is going to lead from the front.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

I wish Tebow's past no longer mattered, that cannot come soon enough.

The less I see him in those Gator rags, the easier it'll be for me to like him.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:49 AM   #5
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
That is utter bull****. Marvin Harrison is going in the hall of fame, he may be one of the 5 best WRs ever but was he ever a leader in the NFL? Leadership is about personality, some people become epicenters of the locker room almost regardless of their play, simply because of their personality.

Tebow will be a leader in the NFL from the day he is given the starting job, he is a guy other players gravitate to and he is someone who never backs down from a challenge and never turns his tail in the face problems.

Does anyone think Mcarthur was a great soldier? or Patton? or Lee? They were leaders because of their personality and because of the way they tackled problems, that is what Tebow will do as well and that is why I have no doubt as soon as he gets in that starting huddle he is going to lead from the front.
I think you are kinda missing the point. The article is saying that leadership aside, skill is what earns the respect of the players. Why? Because they are all very, very good at what they do. You can be a great leader and team guy but if you can't play, then all the other teammates will stop listening.

And, this makes sense. Cutler is not a great team guy (not a bad team guy, just not a great 'leader') yet he still gets respect from his teammates because he has the talent. The best QBs and players always have both, great leadership and great talent (the Duke) and they work extremely hard (Jerry Rice). Tebow has two of those three traits, but unless that all important 3rd trait shows up (talent on the field) then the whole thing collapses.

There are mega talented guys who just suck at being teammates yet they still earn big $. These guys know it's a bottom line industry, that is, perform on the field and you will get paid. The rest doesn't really matter to them. A great QB and a great defensive player will be able to ralley these types and get them all on the same page (Dawkins on the defense for example). But most will listen because they respect the guy as a player first.

Last edited by Tombstone RJ; 06-07-2010 at 08:55 AM..
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote