The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2010, 05:50 AM   #1
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

Default Peter King talks about Tebow in MMQ

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...mqb/index.html
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2010, 06:05 AM   #2
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Love me some Tebow talk.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:09 AM   #3
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Hey!! You got Nepotism in my Tebowism.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:11 AM   #4
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

More about Ben McDaniels than Tim Tebow, but that's okay. Decent, quick read.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:12 AM   #5
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Ben McDaniels is just trying to win a mother****ing game.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:20 AM   #6
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

The Josh/Ben thing still worries me. Josh McDaniel's has shown little penchant for delegating as it is, and having a unproven element like his brother there makes me nervous that real and valid criticism that needs to be made, won't be made because the person being criticized is McDaniel's brother.

This is not Mike Shanahan bringing on his son in Washington. Kyle already had experience with another coach, and earned his stripes. Is there anyone who is going to be willing to speak truth to powers, when it's the head coach, who already is prickly about being in complete control of the organization, little brother?
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:26 AM   #7
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I'm totally fine with Ben being the QB coach, but this is off:

"Going back to high school, people would talk about nepotism [about the brothers starting at quarterback under their father]. Well, we lost nine games in six years with us quarterbacking. Nepotism is for other people to talk about, but we learned a long time ago that's no part of our vocabulary."

HS football is simply not QB driven.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:29 AM   #8
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Another interesting tidbit from the same MMQB:

Quote:
2. I think, and I'm not the only one who does, that the Patriots wanted to draft Tim Tebow late in the first round or early in the second. I'll always wonder what that would have done to Brady's long-term future in New England. Let me be clear about this -- as long as Brady performs at the highest level, the Patriots will stay with him. As long as he produces, the Patriots are not going to get rid of him. Even if they had picked Tebow, the Patriots wouldn't have -- in my opinion -- pulled a Bill Walsh and switched from Joe Montana to Steve Young (not saying Tebow will reach that level) when Montana still had some football left in him. But nothing in sports is forever.

bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:34 AM   #9
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Ben McDaniels may very well be a good coach, but I don't buy this line:

"Five guys interviewed, and I told him he'd have an equal chance to get the job. He came in and clearly was the best candidate for the job. Period."

If his name would have been Ben Jackson and he would have had the same credentials and no family ties he would not have gotten the job....or even got a sniff of an interview.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:39 AM   #10
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Another interesting tidbit from the same MMQB:

Everyone wanted him, but everyone else was a little too gun-shy to pull that trigger.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:55 AM   #11
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Everyone wanted him, but everyone else was a little too gun-shy to pull that trigger.
I think Tebow was a player that many teams who have stocked cupboards would have liked, he is clearly going to take quite a bit of coaching to get NFL ready, but he is a guy who could have a very high ceiling and because of his mentality and his coachability he is a guy who could probably take that coaching and that development time and actually put it to good use.
gyldenlove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:55 AM   #12
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post

"Five guys interviewed, and I told him he'd have an equal chance to get the job. He came in and clearly was the best candidate for the job. Period."

If his name would have been Ben Jackson and he would have had the same credentials and no family ties he would not have gotten the job....or even got a sniff of an interview.
So all five who interviewed were also McDaniels Brothers? I don't really buy that.

Why is it so hard to believe that he was the best guy for the job? Because he is McDaniels' brother? Isn't that just reverse nepotism?
Old 06-07-2010, 07:00 AM   #13
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
So all five who interviewed were also McDaniels Brothers? I don't really buy that.

Why is it so hard to believe that he was the best guy for the job? Because he is McDaniels' brother? Isn't that just reverse nepotism?
Of course he is going to be the best guy for the position in the eyes of Josh McDaniels....he was basically trained the same and has the same genetic make up.

I'm saying if another guy would have walked into his office with exact same high school credentials, he would have been told he was not qualified.

I'm not hoping he fails, we need him to be the right guy for the job.

The QB coach is going to be responsible for the development of our future franchise QB.

A short time ago he was tutoring 16 year old Johnny Stinkfinger on the nuances of high school football and now he's the one that our QBs are looking to for guidance and tutelage.

There's nothing wrong with questioning his credentials....it doesn't make you a hater. People ripped Shanny for nepotism as well....it's probably prevalent in all 32 franchises.

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 06-07-2010 at 07:04 AM..
Old 06-07-2010, 07:10 AM   #14
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

The more I find out about McDouche, the more I think he sucks. Giving your brother a NFL job because he once coached some kids in High School is pathetic. There is no way dude is a better choice that a professional coach with real NFL experience.
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:11 AM   #15
dbfan21
Floridian living in KS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

With Ben being on staff, there is some risk involved due to his lack of NFL experience. The plus side is that he will take orders and direction from Josh without question. If the philosophy in Denver is a team-first, all-in mentality, then this fits in nicely.
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:24 AM   #16
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

Who do you want for QB coach? John Elway?

He is a position coach. A coach that is only truly kinda responsible for 1 player on the field. That said, the OC helps coach the QB, and the Head Coach helps coach the QB. I think Ben's job is to be a puppet for his brother, and just keep drilling the stuff Josh says into the QB's.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:28 AM   #17
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterhole View Post
The more I find out about McDouche, the more I think he sucks. Giving your brother a NFL job because he once coached some kids in High School is pathetic. There is no way dude is a better choice that a professional coach with real NFL experience.
Experience and success are two different things.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:34 AM   #18
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post

Why do you say that?

He's got better credentials than Jim Bates did when he got a similar job. Or Kyle Shanahan. Or current Tampa Bay HC Raheem Morris.

They all started out as quality control/assistants like McDaniels did last year and they all moved up to positional coach very shortly (generally one year) thereafter. Ben McDaniels actually played the position he coaches at a D1A level, was a graduate assistant after that, and coached at a lower level for a few years before getting his shot. He's got a better resume than any of those three had when they where given a shot. Two of them are now OCs in the league and the third is a HC.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:55 AM   #19
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterhole View Post
Who were the people he beat out of the job? You have no clue but make a blanket statement.....
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:58 AM   #20
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Hey!! You got Nepotism in my Tebowism.
Well, your Tebowism is in my Nepotism....

Hey! Tastes pretty good!
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:05 AM   #21
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-pseudo-fan View Post
Who do you want for QB coach? John Elway?
Jeremy Bates would have been nice.

Oh... Wait a minute.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:07 AM   #22
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

If Ben is a good coach, and he truly knows the QB position (for Josh's scheme in the NFL) and he can communicate effectively then I have no problem with Ben being the QB coach. He's young like Josh, probably full of enthusiasm and fire, he's probably extremely motivated.

Nobody questioned Jimmy Johnson's coaching skills at the NFL level when he was hired by Jerra Jones. Nobody questioned his coaching staff. People did freak out when Herschel Walker was traded and the pokes went 1-15 and were at rock bottom. Then, something fantastic happened. The pokes drafted well, and kicked out almost all the malcontents on the team. Within a few years they were the powerhouse team in the NFL and very well could have won three straight SB championships if Jimma and Jerra could have gotten along. Point being, McD is kinda doing the same thing in Denver and he deserves at least 3 years to get the job done.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:27 AM   #23
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostknight View Post
Jeremy Bates would have been nice.

Oh... Wait a minute.
Why would Jeremy Bates want to be a QB coach and...what exactly has Jeremy Bates done again?
Oh...wait a minute.

Jesus, who cares who our QB coach is, relax
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:28 AM   #24
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post

Why do you say that?

He's got better credentials than Jim Bates did when he got a similar job. Or Kyle Shanahan. Or current Tampa Bay HC Raheem Morris.

They all started out as quality control/assistants like McDaniels did last year and they all moved up to positional coach very shortly (generally one year) thereafter. Ben McDaniels actually played the position he coaches at a D1A level, was a graduate assistant after that, and coached at a lower level for a few years before getting his shot. He's got a better resume than any of those three had when they where given a shot. Two of them are now OCs in the league and the third is a HC.
I'm not sure about that....it looks like all of these guys (minus Ben McDaniels) spent multiple years as assistants/quality control guys before they were given a shot to be a position coach:

Ben McDaniels:

Before joining the Broncos, McDaniels spent three years coaching high school football in Ohio. He instructed quarterbacks at Massillon Jackson High School (Massillon, Ohio) in 2008 after a two-year stint coaching that position at Canton McKinley Senior High School (Canton, Ohio) from 2006-07.

He began his coaching career in 2003 as a wide receivers coach at Warren Harding High School (Warren, Ohio) before coaching as a graduate assistant at Minnesota for two years from 2004-05.

Ben McDaniels enters his second year with the Denver Broncos in 2010 and begins his first season as the club's quarterbacks coach after he was promoted to that position on Jan. 23, 2010. A former college and high school quarterback, McDaniels worked with the Broncos' offense as a coaching assistant during his first year with the team in 2009.

Kyle Shanahan:

Soon after he graduated from Texas in 2003, Shanahan became graduate assistant to Karl Dorrell at UCLA. Following that season, Shanahan was hired as assistant coach for offensive quality control under head coach Jon Gruden with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Gruden had held a similar position with the San Francisco 49ers in 1990, at about the same age that Shanahan had in 2004.

In 2006, Shanahan was hired by Gary Kubiak to serve as wide receivers coach for the Houston Texans. Kubiak had previously served as offensive coordinator under Mike Shanahan with the Broncos. At the time, Kyle Shanahan was the youngest position coach in the NFL. A season later, Shanahan received another promotion to become the Texans quarterback coach. In 2007, he had also been offered to become offensive coordinator at the University of Minnesota, where former Broncos assistant Tim Brewster just became head coach. Shanahan declined, citing his decision to be an NFL coach.[3]

In 2006, Shanahan was hired by Gary Kubiak to serve as wide receivers coach for the Houston Texans. Kubiak had previously served as offensive coordinator under Mike Shanahan with the Broncos. At the time, Kyle Shanahan was the youngest position coach in the NFL. A season later, Shanahan received another promotion to become the Texans quarterback coach. In 2007, he had also been offered to become offensive coordinator at the University of Minnesota, where former Broncos assistant Tim Brewster just became head coach. Shanahan declined, citing his decision to be an NFL coach.

Jeremy Bates

Bates began his coaching career with Tampa Bay Buccaneers as an offensive quality control coach from 2002-03; the Buccaneers won Super Bowl XXXVII in 2002. In 2004 he was promoted to assistant quarterbacks coach for the Buccaneers, working closely with Head Coach Jon Gruden and Quarterbacks Coach John Shoop.

He was the New York Jets' quarterbacks coach in 2005; due to a series of injuries the team fielded five different quarterbacks that season, notably Brooks Bollinger.[1]

He joined the Denver Broncos in 2006; in his first season he served as an offensive assistant, helping Offensive Coordinator Rick Dennison coach the offensive line. In 2007 he served as wide receivers/quarterbacks coach, and in 2008 as quarterbacks coach, both seasons working closely with quarterback Jay Cutler. In 2008, Bates called the offensive plays for the Denver Broncos, helping Cutler become a Pro Bowl selection and the Broncos to have the NFL's second-most productive offense (1st in the AFC).

At the end of the 2008 NFL regular season, longtime head coach Mike Shanahan was fired and replaced by Josh McDaniels; due to the uncertainty, Bates began looking for a new position.

On January 19, 2009, USC Trojans' head coach Pete Carroll hired Bates to replace outgoing coach Carl Smith, who had only taken the quarterbacks job two weeks earlier before moving back to the NFL; Smith had replaced Steve Sarkisian, who had taken the head coaching position of the Washington Huskies after serving as both quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator; John Morton had been promoted to offensive coordinator. Bates calls plays from the field while Morton works from the coaches' booth in the press box, similar to a previous arrangement run by the Trojans during the 2005-2006 seasons between Sarkisian and Lane Kiffin, respectively.

On January 12, 2010, former USC Trojans' head coach Pete Carroll was introduced as the head coach and executive vice-president of the Seattle Seahawks. It was reported shortly after that Bates would join Carroll's staff as offensive coordinator.

Raheem Morris:

Morris graduated from Hofstra University with a degree in physical education in 1998 after playing safety at Hofstra from 1994-1997. That same year he began his collegiate coaching career as a graduate assistant coach at Hofstra University, where he was responsible for coaching the offensive scout team, developing scouting reports and handling video breakdown and computer input and analysis. In 1999, he was hired by Cornell University as their defensive backs coach and special teams assistant. After 1999, he went back to Hofstra to be defensive back coach. Also, in 2001, he spent time as a defensive minority intern with the New York Jets.

Before the 2002 season, he was hired by the Bucs to become their defensive quality control coach, where he helped them have the top-ranked defense and win the franchise’s first ever Super Bowl, beating the Oakland Raiders 48–21 in Super Bowl XXXVII. In 2003, he became a defensive assistant. From 2004–2005 he was the assistant defensive backs coach. After 2005 he went to Kansas State to be their defensive coordinator.

Morris spent one season with the Kansas State Wildcats in 2006, as defensive coordinator under then-head coach Ron Prince. He helped improve the defense in several statistical categories including total defense, scoring defense and pass defense. He helped the Wildcats upset the #4 Texas Longhorns during the 2006 season.

Before the 2007 season, Morris returned to the Buccaneers to be their defensive backs coach, replacing Greg Burns. After the teams pass defense fell to 19th in 2006, Morris helped the pass defense achieve the league’s top ranking in 2007.

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 06-07-2010 at 08:32 AM..
Old 06-07-2010, 08:35 AM   #25
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Ben McDaniels may very well end up being a stellar coach....and I hope he has a bright future.

But I'll argue the fact that you think the other three you mentioned had lesser pedigrees/resumes.

If his name was Ben Smith and he coached QBs in high school and would have emailed his resume to the Broncos in 2009, it would have ended up in the garbage.

How hard is it to admit he got the job because of his brother?

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 06-07-2010 at 08:52 AM..