The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2010, 02:45 AM   #1
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default Howard Griffith

The most underrated Broncos player of all time. What is he up to these days? I would love to see him get involved with the team again.

His book/attitude changed my life.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2010, 04:22 AM   #2
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Google... it's a wonderful thing....

Quinn OKs greater access to adoption info

A new law lets adults who were adopted obtain their original birth certificates, but some still might be unable to find out the identity of their birth parents.
Adoptees born before Jan. 1, 1946, can get access to their birth certificates right away under the law signed Friday by Gov. Pat Quinn. Those born after that date will have to wait until Nov. 15, 2011.

In the meantime, a statewide campaign will alert adoptees and birth parents to the new law. That will give birth parents time to take steps to keep their identities secret if they wish. In such cases, adoptees would get a birth certificate without a birth parent's name if they don't want it released.

Unless a birth parent opts to keep his or her identity secret, it would be released on an original birth certificate. Birth parents also can opt to make their contact information known or restrict it.

"This is really more of a bill for people who just want their birth certificate; they don't want contact," said state Rep. Sara Feigenholtz, an adoptee who sponsored the bill.
The law only allows access to birth certificates for adoptees 21 and older.
Not all adoption groups are happy with the new law.
"All adoptees deserve equal access to their original birth certificates," said Triennia Guider, a spokeswoman for Adoption Reform Illinois.
Republican House leader Tom Cross and other GOP lawmakers opposed the bill because it changes the rules for parents who put children up for adoption under the condition of anonymity, said Cross spokeswoman Sara Wojcicki.
Also, some lawmakers don't think the law gives birth parents enough time to opt out so the children they gave up can't learn their identities, Wojcicki said.

Retired football player Howard Griffith, who went to the University of Illinois and later played for the Los Angeles Rams, Carolina Panthers and Denver Broncos, praised the new law.
While his birth mother had died, Griffith has tracked down his biological family and met his birth father and eight brothers and sisters.
Griffith said the law will give other adoptees the chance to find more about who they came from, something he said he often wondered about, especially during the holidays.
"There was always a time during those holidays where I would say 'Who am I?'" Griffith said.
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:08 AM   #3
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

I watched the Donks 97 championship recap episode of America's Game the other day. Griffith was one of the interviews.

He was fascinating. Just hearing about how he got pwned by Levon Kirkland during the regular season and wanted revenge, only to get it during the playoffs - LITERALLY - was amazing. I also loved the bit about how he was wide open for a TD in the Super Bowl and Elway ran it in instead. He was so distraught.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:09 AM   #4
crawdad
IL Oldest Bronco Maniac

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bay Bay

Griffith was a great football player that knew his role and performed it well. He is also a good person!
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:59 AM   #5
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post
I watched the Donks 97 championship recap episode of America's Game the other day. Griffith was one of the interviews.

He was fascinating. Just hearing about how he got pwned by Levon Kirkland during the regular season and wanted revenge, only to get it during the playoffs - LITERALLY - was amazing. I also loved the bit about how he was wide open for a TD in the Super Bowl and Elway ran it in instead. He was so distraught.
Elway running in was the higher percentage of success. Howard ran in two TDs in the Super Bowl the next year.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:13 AM   #6
illbroncsfn
Ring of Famer

adopt a bronco- Barrel Man's Barrel

Griffith works for the Big Ten network covering football....
illbroncsfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:12 AM   #7
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

Griffith was the man. Definitely one of my favorites.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:54 AM   #8
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

Quote:

quit.
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:26 AM   #9
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Howard was on AM1000 here in Chicago as their College football insider.

He is very good on the radio, not sure why he hasn't made the jump to TV for College football yet.

You can get podcasts on AM1000's website. I have posted a couple times when he had some good segments.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:19 AM   #10
Anaximines
Anaximines

Anaximines

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Anaximines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:38 AM   #11
underrated29
Ahoy

You lika da sexy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Hells Yeah!!

Hence my screen name.
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:56 AM   #12
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Better get used to not seeing a FB on the field with McD.

Thats why he go rid of Hillis... Griffith was like Hillis, only a better blocker and not as talked about.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:29 AM   #13
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Hillis was a complete football player. GREAT Hands, GOOD RUNNER AND WAS BECOMING A GOOD BLOCKER. He needed to be on the field. Thanks Josh
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:37 AM   #14
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post
Hillis was a complete football player. GREAT Hands, GOOD RUNNER AND WAS BECOMING A GOOD BLOCKER. He needed to be on the field. Thanks Josh
It's time to move on, time to get going
What lies ahead, I have no way of knowing
But under my feet, baby grass is growng
It's time to move on, it's time to get going
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:52 PM   #15
Smilin Assassin
Tradition

Loved his quote from America's Game: The '97 Broncos. Telling how Levon Kirkland was upset w/TD and Howard cut blocking him.

(Levon Kirkland) "Why you cuttin me, man?"

(Griffith) "Why you 300 pounds??"

Though doubtful anyone here hasn't seen that entire piece, you can watch it here http://www.hulu.com/watch/123696/ame...denver-broncos

Last edited by Smilin Assassin; 06-03-2010 at 01:05 PM..
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:24 PM   #16
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
quit.
Quit quoting him. He only exists on this board as a troll, that's why he's one of the very few posters I have on ignore.
listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:47 PM   #17
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Love Griffith but he's absolutely not underrated. Every time we talk about a FB we always mention how wish we had another Griffith, and the guy was very celebrated during his time and really never spoken poorly of anywhere.

I'd say the most underrated Bronco from the SB teams would be a guy like Tony Jones. Completely outshined thanks to Zimm being a HoFer, but played great and provided a seemless transition blocking for 2000 yards after Zimm retired.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:04 PM   #18
Smilin Assassin
Tradition

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Love Griffith but he's absolutely not underrated. Every time we talk about a FB we always mention how wish we had another Griffith, and the guy was very celebrated during his time and really never spoken poorly of anywhere.

I'd say the most underrated Bronco from the SB teams would be a guy like Tony Jones. Completely outshined thanks to Zimm being a HoFer, but played great and provided a seemless transition blocking for 2000 yards after Zimm retired.
Was thinking of Tony, myself.

Also completely shut down Reggie White in SB XXXII.
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:12 PM   #19
WyoLaw
Pheasant Tail

Quote:

Good post. Also, don't forget that Tony Jones slid from RT in SB XXXII to LT in SB XXXIII after Zimm retired. The Broncos then signed Harry Swayne to play RT.
WyoLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:21 PM   #20
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoLaw View Post
Good post. Also, don't forget that Tony Jones slid from RT in SB XXXII to LT in SB XXXIII after Zimm retired. The Broncos then signed Harry Swayne to play RT.
I didn't forget, that's why I said "provided a seemless transition blocking for 2000 yards after Zimm retired". He was the Zimm transition.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:27 PM   #21
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:

So true. I love Griffith and he was pretty much below the radar but Jones was too. After Zimm left that line maintained and that was largely because of Jones. After Jones left, that line diminished.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:20 PM   #22
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:

BRING BACK BUTCH
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote