The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Default Memorial Day

Few days early...

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://soundcloud.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Memorial Day

I search my hard drive for the Memorial Day oped piece I wrote for the Navy newspaper @ Brunswick while I was stationed there... I found it, but I guess it was a Veterans Day piece.

In the spirit of veterans, I'll still post it, haha.
Attached Files
File Type: doc 111008_MOS.doc (106.3 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by Mogulseeker; 05-29-2010 at 10:06 PM..
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:44 PM   #3
80smith
Perennial Pro-bowler

Love me some grilled food!

Attachment 26666

Last edited by 80smith; 10-18-2013 at 06:47 PM..
80smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:32 AM   #4
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:28 PM   #5
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

A definite thank you to those that sacrifice every day and their families for that sacrifice. To one in particular, my son, who I miss very much.

It is the Veteran, not the preacher, who gave us freedom of religion.

It is the Veteran, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the Veteran, not the poet, who gave us freedom of speech.

It is the Veteran, not the campus organizer, who gave us freedom to assemble.

It is the Veteran, not the lawyer, who gave us the right to a fair trial.

It is the Veteran, not the politician, who gave us the right to vote.

God Bless them ALL!
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:22 AM   #6
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Thanks to all the vets that have provided service to the country over the years. They've done the most brutal service and deserve to be honored.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:22 AM   #7
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

I really only have one thing to add to this thread. I think it's important to speak about what we are memorializing. This day is to honor those veterans who gave their lives in conflict. They had a belief in our country. Her laws, her customs, her culture. And above all else her people. So strong was their belief that they were willing to give their lives in service to it. And so they did.

I make that distinction because I'm a veteran. Not in the way that these heroes were. I was rarely in harms way. The only "war" I took part in was a Cold one. I did stand on the deck of a ship and look out over the ocean, but in relative peace. For that relative peace I thank the service men and women who came before me. It was on their tradition of ferocity, and it was due to their sacrifices, that my service was rendered so uneventful.
listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:00 PM   #8
C130Herkload
Trash Hauler Supreme

Kickin' a$$ to save your's

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Nalen

First...HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!
Ive carried many a flag draped box from the AOR in the past few years and I have each manifest with each of their names in my flight records safely at home. Too many to count actually, maybe one day I will--not quite ready as of yet. Never does a mission go by that I dont think of the sacrifices made by those who came before that put me where Im at. Being in harms way is just what we may be called to do as military members, regardless of service. No one made us do this and we all know what could be the Ultimate outcome. In todays service , we have clerks riding shotgun in convoys, cooks rolling with combat teams and the like--no one is exempt.

The folks Ive carried out of hell on their first leg home were all religions, all political affiliations, all races---it never mattered. They served well and it was all I could do to bring them home with pride professionalism and give them the just honorable return they so rightly deserve. So, today is all about remembering--its because of those who came before that we have the luxury to disagree and not be hung for it, the privelige to be a part of something bigger than ourselves in a just cause and even the right to be different from the next guy even if its not popular. Take a minute or two today and think about those men and women in those flag draped boxes and where they come from and what they represent---they are us. I always do. Load clear.

Name:  PB050077.JPG
Views: 67
Size:  95.7 KB

Last edited by C130Herkload; 05-31-2010 at 12:33 PM..
C130Herkload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:12 PM   #9
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Thanks for all those standing in harms way so we may taste continuous freedom. The men and women that died protecting this great country were something special.

On a separate note anyone currently deployed needing anything, anything at all please let us know and it will be on its way.

***The movies on AMC today are awesome!!!

Last edited by Broncojef; 05-31-2010 at 12:20 PM..
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:59 PM   #10
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

God Bless America and Happy Memorial Day. Can't thank the former or current servicemen enough.

My grandpa was at Omaha Beach and my great uncle was in one of the first units to be attacked at the Battle of the Bulge. I'm sure everyone has a story about their family's service history.
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:09 PM   #11
Dutch
The Flying Dutchman

Leatherneck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rubin Carter

Had to post a thanks to both Listopencil and C130Herkload for your posts. List, my wife Barb and I are both Marine vets and children of combat vets. We get frustrated that the focus isn't more on the Servicemembers that have paid the ultimate price for our country. Ultimately it is easier to fall back on the old "thanking our men and women in uniform" standby, than it is to address the loss and sacrifice of our young. Your sentiments gave voice to the emotions I have every year at this time. Glad I'm not alone. Herk, Thank you for conducting yourself while doing your duty with the dignity the job deserves. Drew a tear from both of us. Thanks again both of you, for your service and your eloquence.

Semper Fi
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:41 PM   #12
Dutch
The Flying Dutchman

Leatherneck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rubin Carter
Default Nice article in the Post from Terry Frei

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_15196031

I generally like his articles of this nature.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:00 PM   #13
fido
Perennial Pro-bowler

Listopencil, C130Herkload, and Dutch: well, well said.....so many of our fellow americans just like the long weekend and don't think about how they got that......kudos to you Herk....kudos.....I have had the honor to carry a few of those, absolutely the hardest thing I have ever, ever done ...... and will never forget......regardless of the service of choice. Even though I did not single out the rest of you, thank you for taking the time to remember the "whys" of this day.

As an aside to you Herk, I was at Ramstein when the italians f'd up and crashed into the crowd.......bad day there.....bad day.
fido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:26 PM   #14
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Thank you Vets-Those alive and especially those who gave everything that can be asked of any man. This is a debt I owe and will never be able to repay.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:52 AM   #15
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
I really only have one thing to add to this thread. I think it's important to speak about what we are memorializing. This day is to honor those veterans who gave their lives in conflict. They had a belief in our country. Her laws, her customs, her culture. And above all else her people. So strong was their belief that they were willing to give their lives in service to it. And so they did.

I make that distinction because I'm a veteran. Not in the way that these heroes were. I was rarely in harms way. The only "war" I took part in was a Cold one. I did stand on the deck of a ship and look out over the ocean, but in relative peace. For that relative peace I thank the service men and women who came before me. It was on their tradition of ferocity, and it was due to their sacrifices, that my service was rendered so uneventful.

Great post brother.
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:26 AM   #16
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Here Here
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote