The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2010, 02:00 PM   #1
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default McDaniels Presser 5/27/10

* Good practice, productive week. Players will get the holiday weekend off.

* A lot of guys competing at the nickelback position. Jones is a veteran who learned the system quickly and works well with his teammates. Zo (Alphonso Smith) has definitly improved from last year and doing a great job in there. Carter and Thompson are competing and getting reps. Zo and Jones are batting hard, both have played early in each period. It's a position of depth this year.

* Stokley has a minor injury to his shoulder from hitting the ground, should be practicing soon. Bannan was excused.

* Lloyd is comfortable with this system, he missed this last year since he didn't sign until June. To start the offseason knowing the offense, he can be moved around and take advantage of his skills. He's responded really well, expect that to continue. He's a very talented player who can make plays down the field, made a lot of plays down the field. Good hands, great body control. Team is excited about him.

* This years rookies heads are spinning, You can't play your best because it's hard to go as fast as you can when your thinking. Knowshon, Lloyd and Eddie are examples of guys who don't have to deal with that now. Eddie is doing a lot of good things, being used in the slot a lot. A lot of those 2nd year players are coming on and you can tell the game has slowed for them.

* QBs set the pace for practice, they have to be able handle adversity and help their teammates through adversity as well. Hope all their QBs possess those traits and skills. Lots of things go into a great QB, on and off the field.

* No update on Westbrook.

* Atkins is a guy making the conversion from a hand-down DE to OLB. He has the size you look for. All those guys best traits will show in August because their all 255 and above and their physicality is key. He's learning to play there like Moss, Doom and Ayers did last year.

* Walton and Fry are mixing in and out at C. Every day is more comfortable for Walton, communicating with the guards and understanding the cadance. He's not afraid to take charge, he'll stand up and make sure everything's set before the ball is snapped which has a calming influence. Another guy whose best skills will show in August.

* Would be comfortable starting a rookie C if he's the best player.

* Beadles has had some bad plays as have all the rookies, also had some great plays. He, E.Olsen and Walton are responding well for playing in the offense first time.

* Harris doing well, hoping to see him back soon.

* Being careful with Thomas, Harris and Deck's foot injuries. Leaning on the side of caution with them, not going to push it. Rather those guys be ready for August, taking mental reps for now.

* Players wearing the pennies is to help players recognize different positions and eliminate errors they've had since the O or D will use their own backups for walkthroughs.

* Orton's definitly getting the most reps because he deserves to. Quinn goes in next, we've been flopping them all. The only thing consistent is Orton is in the 1st huddle. They need to get work with different players in the huddle.

http://web1.denverbroncos.com/page.p...V&year=&month=
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2010, 02:23 PM   #2
Mr.Meanie
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Cool thanks for the writeup!

Really excited about Royal and Ayers this year.
Mr.Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:12 PM   #3
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Thanks for this Montrose. I wonder how many people are going to wring their hands about the rookies struggling with learning the new system a few weeks into OTA's...
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
crowebomber
Ring of Famer

Old School Sucka Fool

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Frank Tripucka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Thanks for this Montrose. I wonder how many people are going to wring their hands about the rookies struggling with learning the new system a few weeks into OTA's...
Hahaha! We should have a bet going on how early we'll hear the word "bust" on this board this season. I've been surprised that so many people were bashing Moreno after his rookie season. Seems like we all used to be a lot more patient and understood that some positions and players take some grooming to learn a system.
crowebomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:27 PM   #5
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowebomber View Post
Hahaha! We should have a bet going on how early we'll hear the word "bust" on this board this season. I've been surprised that so many people were bashing Moreno after his rookie season. Seems like we all used to be a lot more patient and understood that some positions and players take some grooming to learn a system.
We were spoiled by Clady and Royal.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:18 PM   #6
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

cant wait to see walton play. a mean, nasty center whos taking charge as a rookie? call me sold.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:27 PM   #7
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
* Good practice, productive week. Players will get the holiday weekend off.

* A lot of guys competing at the nickelback position. Jones is a veteran who learned the system quickly and works well with his teammates. Zo (Alphonso Smith) has definitly improved from last year and doing a great job in there. Carter and Thompson are competing and getting reps. Zo and Jones are batting hard, both have played early in each period. It's a position of depth this year.

* Stokley has a minor injury to his shoulder from hitting the ground, should be practicing soon. Bannan was excused.

* Lloyd is comfortable with this system, he missed this last year since he didn't sign until June. To start the offseason knowing the offense, he can be moved around and take advantage of his skills. He's responded really well, expect that to continue. He's a very talented player who can make plays down the field, made a lot of plays down the field. Good hands, great body control. Team is excited about him.

* This years rookies heads are spinning, You can't play your best because it's hard to go as fast as you can when your thinking. Knowshon, Lloyd and Eddie are examples of guys who don't have to deal with that now. Eddie is doing a lot of good things, being used in the slot a lot. A lot of those 2nd year players are coming on and you can tell the game has slowed for them.

* QBs set the pace for practice, they have to be able handle adversity and help their teammates through adversity as well. Hope all their QBs possess those traits and skills. Lots of things go into a great QB, on and off the field.

* No update on Westbrook.

* Atkins is a guy making the conversion from a hand-down DE to OLB. He has the size you look for. All those guys best traits will show in August because their all 255 and above and their physicality is key. He's learning to play there like Moss, Doom and Ayers did last year.

* Walton and Fry are mixing in and out at C. Every day is more comfortable for Walton, communicating with the guards and understanding the cadance. He's not afraid to take charge, he'll stand up and make sure everything's set before the ball is snapped which has a calming influence. Another guy whose best skills will show in August.

* Would be comfortable starting a rookie C if he's the best player.

* Beadles has had some bad plays as have all the rookies, also had some great plays. He, E.Olsen and Walton are responding well for playing in the offense first time.

* Harris doing well, hoping to see him back soon.

* Being careful with Thomas, Harris and Deck's foot injuries. Leaning on the side of caution with them, not going to push it. Rather those guys be ready for August, taking mental reps for now.

* Players wearing the pennies is to help players recognize different positions and eliminate errors they've had since the O or D will use their own backups for walkthroughs.

* Orton's definitly getting the most reps because he deserves to. Quinn goes in next, we've been flopping them all. The only thing consistent is Orton is in the 1st huddle. They need to get work with different players in the huddle.

http://web1.denverbroncos.com/page.p...V&year=&month=
I was wondering why they didn't put him in the slot last year
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:55 PM   #8
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
I was wondering why they didn't put him in the slot last year
Because in McDaniels offense its essential to have a speed guy pulling deep coverage to open up everything for the other two WRs.

Moss did that in New England and it worked great because, well, that is what Moss is. A deep threat WR. But last year our #1 WR was Marshall, and in order to tailor the offense to him we had to use our best deep threat to stretch defenses. That happened to be Royal since Stoke, Gaffney, etc. don't have elite deep speed.

I think its part of why we brought Lloyd in, but he took a while to get up to speed. I also believe it is far and away the #1 reason we drafted Thomas over Bryant in the draft this year. If we actually wanted to replace Marshall then Bryant was your guy. They both specialize in the 10-15 yard, fight through traffic and move the chains type of role. Thomas is a big, tall guy too, but he has elite speed and specialized on deep routes in college. His predecessor at GT, Calvin Johnson, also specialized in that same role there and translated very quickly to that same role for the Lions.

Between Thomas and Lloyd we now have some options for the field stretching WR other than Royal. We also will no longer tailor the offense around Marshall. Instead it looks like we've gone out and got the pieces needed to tailor the offense around Eddie's strengths, which would have him primarily playing out of the slot.

Short term its probably Royal in the slot, Gaffney in Marshall's old intermediate target role, and Lloyd replacing Royal as the deep threat. But long term we want Gaffney replaced by Decker and Lloyd by Thomas, respectively.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:00 PM   #9
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

I still believe Walton will be our starting center.
I just don't see anybody else I'd rather have starting at center...
That was a huge pick if he pans out, which I think he will...

I don't remember; did we or did we not have the chance to draft Pouncey before Walton?
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:06 PM   #10
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafen View Post
I still believe Walton will be our starting center.
I just don't see anybody else I'd rather have starting at center...
That was a huge pick if he pans out, which I think he will...

I don't remember; did we or did we not have the chance to draft Pouncey before Walton?
Depends on what you mean by "had a chance." Yes we had a chance at #11. We also had a chance at #13. Then Pouncey went at #18, and we finally picked Thomas at #22.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:13 PM   #11
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Depends on what you mean by "had a chance." Yes we had a chance at #11. We also had a chance at #13. Then Pouncey went at #18, and we finally picked Thomas at #22.
Oh, ok.
I wasn't sure where Pouncey went. I thought for some reason he went on the 2nd round...
Old 05-27-2010, 07:03 PM   #12
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
We were spoiled by Clady and Royal.
^
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:54 PM   #13
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Anyone seen our D Thomas practice yet or anyone have an update on the foot?...anticipated return to the field?
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:20 PM   #14
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Because in McDaniels offense its essential to have a speed guy pulling deep coverage to open up everything for the other two WRs.

Moss did that in New England and it worked great because, well, that is what Moss is. A deep threat WR. But last year our #1 WR was Marshall, and in order to tailor the offense to him we had to use our best deep threat to stretch defenses. That happened to be Royal since Stoke, Gaffney, etc. don't have elite deep speed.

I think its part of why we brought Lloyd in, but he took a while to get up to speed. I also believe it is far and away the #1 reason we drafted Thomas over Bryant in the draft this year. If we actually wanted to replace Marshall then Bryant was your guy. They both specialize in the 10-15 yard, fight through traffic and move the chains type of role. Thomas is a big, tall guy too, but he has elite speed and specialized on deep routes in college. His predecessor at GT, Calvin Johnson, also specialized in that same role there and translated very quickly to that same role for the Lions.

Between Thomas and Lloyd we now have some options for the field stretching WR other than Royal. We also will no longer tailor the offense around Marshall. Instead it looks like we've gone out and got the pieces needed to tailor the offense around Eddie's strengths, which would have him primarily playing out of the slot.

Short term its probably Royal in the slot, Gaffney in Marshall's old intermediate target role, and Lloyd replacing Royal as the deep threat. But long term we want Gaffney replaced by Decker and Lloyd by Thomas, respectively.
Good take.
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:36 PM   #15
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

We haven't been a long ball team since the late 90's. I Don't ever expect to see too much of it in this offense untill we get an accurate long ball QB. I'd say Quinn has the best shot, but even then...he'll need 2-3 years practice with the same guy at WR.
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:53 PM   #16
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Bronco View Post
We haven't been a long ball team since the late 90's. I Don't ever expect to see too much of it in this offense untill we get an accurate long ball QB. I'd say Quinn has the best shot, but even then...he'll need 2-3 years practice with the same guy at WR.
Well, not only accurate is the key word, but also a strong arm is paramount.
I do agree Quinn's got the goods. Brandstater also has a good arm, but not sure if he's going to get a serious look at this year.
Tebow will have every opportunity to show if he could start this year.
I believe if he shows some kind of mastery of the offense that he could be a strong candidate to start this year...
Old 05-27-2010, 10:21 PM   #17
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:

I like Thomas, but he is very similar to Marshall. He's a little faster maybe and a tad bit smaller...but, he's got similar talent. To say he's a deep threat or guy to stretch the fied isn't really true. We still need a speed guy on the othe side with a slot guy.

Although Rod Smith and Eddie Mac weren't the fastest WR's in the league!

They still dominated!
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:15 PM   #18
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I'm so pumped we were able to draft Walton. I think this guys is going to be one hellofa Center for us.
ZONA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:22 PM   #19
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
I like Thomas, but he is very similar to Marshall. He's a little faster maybe and a tad bit smaller...but, he's got similar talent. To say he's a deep threat or guy to stretch the fied isn't really true. We still need a speed guy on the othe side with a slot guy.

They still dominated!
I have no idea what Thomas's 40 time is, but watch the film. This guy can get separation and run away from guys. He's game day fast. I think he'll be able to strech the field.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:26 PM   #20
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:

They still dominated!
You just said it yourself, you don't need track speed to be a down the field threat. Actually, I think blocking is more important in being able to go down field then very fast WR's. A few extra seconds, almost any WR should be able to get seperation.
ZONA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:14 AM   #21
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Please tell me you are joking.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:33 AM   #22
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:

They still dominated!
1. The guy was running 4.3's before hurting his foot during combine training. Multiple sources have confirmed this, and his agent sent a video of it to all interested teams.

2. The role he played in Georgia Tech's offense focuses on him either being in on the QB option, running a reverse, or being a deep threat. That is the primary knock on him, the only NFL routes he knows are deep ones.

3. His self professed favorite route is the go.

Thomas is a lot more Calvin Johnson/Andre Johnson than Brandon Marshall, Fitzgerald, or Boldin.

Like I said, if we wanted a guy to replace Marshall we would've drafted Dez. He was on the board and we passed to take Thomas. Decker is the guy we drafted long term to take over Marshall's intermediate routes, and with good reason. He's a better comp to Marshall (big, strong, great at catching away from the body, and he's very quick and agile despite not being very fast, all traits Marshall has). Thomas was the linchpin to putting Royal in the role best suited to him in this offense.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:38 AM   #23
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
1. The guy was running 4.3's before hurting his foot during combine training. Multiple sources have confirmed this, and his agent sent a video of it to all interested teams.

2. The role he played in Georgia Tech's offense focuses on him either being in on the QB option, running a reverse, or being a deep threat. That is the primary knock on him, the only NFL routes he knows are deep ones.

3. His self professed favorite route is the go.

Thomas is a lot more Calvin Johnson/Andre Johnson than Brandon Marshall, Fitzgerald, or Boldin.

Like I said, if we wanted a guy to replace Marshall we would've drafted Dez. He was on the board and we passed to take Thomas. Decker is the guy we drafted long term to take over Marshall's intermediate routes, and with good reason. He's a better comp to Marshall (big, strong, great at catching away from the body, and he's very quick and agile despite not being very fast, all traits Marshall has). Thomas was the linchpin to putting Royal in the role best suited to him in this offense.
Calvin Johnson is actually a really good comparison due to speed, size and body control, imo, just without the polish.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:39 AM   #24
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Calvin Johnson is actually a really good comparison due to speed, size and body control, imo, just without the pollish.
ive wondered why more people dont make this comparison, hell they came from the same place. id much rather have a calvin than a brandon, hes probably the best WR playing in the NFL.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:51 AM   #25
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Calvin Johnson is actually a really good comparison due to speed, size and body control, imo, just without the polish.
They also played the same role, in the same offense, at the same school.

But Calvin Johnson is the single best WR prospect in recent NFL history and once in the league immediately elevated himself to the top 5 at his position, so of course Thomas measures up a bit lacking before he's had a chance to play in the leauge.

It does speak well for Thomas' ability to learn though. Johnson did have a more diverse role at GT, but not by much. Both guys where very successful within the triple option system. Johnson almost immediately produced in the NFL.

I personally believe a lot of the polish/route running concerns on Thomas are tied to his foot injury, since teams where unable to work him out on a diverse series of routes. That made the label of "project" stick more than any real flaw visible on tape that needs correcting.