The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2010, 10:43 AM   #1
montrose
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 6,072

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default Great interview with Brandon Lloyd on QBs, Marshall, McDaniels and more

http://www.milehighsports.com/Article.asp?id=1307299 (From Klatt and Kreckman show)

Boy is he articulate, not afraid to take a side either. Highlights:

On catching from left handed QBs: Spin on the ball is different, playing with Mark Brunell in Washington - it twists your hands differently than your used to. Thus far, Tim Tebow has a lot of touch on his passes so it hasn't done it as much opposed to Brunell who had a very powerful arm. Been pretty good thus far.

Who has the best arm of the 4 QBs now: From a fan's standpoint the best arm is different than a receiver's stand point. As a receiver, Lloyd stands behind Kyle Orton. Loves how he delivers the ball, has the power and accuracy to throw cross-field comebacks. Has the touch to throw in-cuts across the middle of the field and the touch and accuracy to throw the deep ball. This from playing with him in Chicago and a little last year. That's who is the best QB right now. Orton's been in the system for a year and knows what Josh McDaniels' system needs to execute.

On people saying Orton needs to be traded: Immediate reaction is that's insane. Only two or three QBs that could take the load that was given to them and execute what Coach was trying to execute last season. That was just his 1st year in the system and he was able to execute it. It comes down to everybody else, the line, RBs, WRs and TEs making plays for Orton. If we had made plays for him, we would've won 6 of the lsat 8 games and Orton would've been a Pro Bowler and loved by everybody. It comes down to us making plays for him and letting him look as good as he can look because we all believe in him and his work ethic.

Why doesn't Orton get the respect he deserves: No clue. Work ethic, talent, delivering the ball - he's up in the top 15 guys as a starter in the NFL that makes plays. Maybe doesn't have the physical stature to throw lazers all over the field, can't see why Orton isn't a guy who could lead a team to Super Bowls. Doesn't see people's complaints of why he's not the guy.

On Marshall's departure and potential excitement for more opportunity: Excited for the chance to be back in Denver where he wanted to be, had great rapport with the coaches and players. Not as excited for opportunity because I've been in the league 8 years and it's all about performing. I'll believe it when I see it is my attitude, have confidence that can help the team win. It'll be a group effort, lost a guy that caught 100 balls over the past three years but he never helped the team get to the playoffs.

On why didn't get to play until late: It was frusturating, you don't expect in a bad way for injuries but generally guys get hurt. We were probably won if the league's healthiest teams so the chance to break-in didn't come in until late.

On Brady Quinn: Has a shot at pushing Orton, that's why he'd be brought in. Coach wants a healthy QB competition, I'm assuming. Been impressed working out with Quinn, his work ethic and physical stature. He throws a nice ball but has a lot of catching up to do because the coaching staff demands a lot of the QB. Expect him to feel like he could take the job since he was able to get out of Cleveland. Will good for us all round because the guy who wins the job will be the best for it.

On opening up the offense: Sees it moving as far as Coach feels comfortable, (laughs saying you won't like this answer). That's how it went last season, he didn't feel comfortable throwing the ball down field. He didn't say it or pull anyone aside, but I feel as a player he's going to call the plays he feels comfortable calling. It's up to us to show him he can call those plays and we'll be able to get it done.

Why McDaniels wasn't comfortable going down the field: I think it's personnel.

On Marshall's YPC only being 11, in regards to the personnel issue: Well, that's his stats (laughing).

On the new defensive holding up down the strech: Think it's more of an offensive issue, we stalled after those first 6 games and couldn't move the ball. Thinks the defensive additions are awesome but more important to move the ball, eliminate 3-and-outs and put points on the board. The offense has to stand up more in the long haul for the defense.

On his new site blloyd.com: Not a football site but a lifestyle site. Hanging out, making music for video games and movies, and the occassional football article. Should be up by training camp.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2010, 10:56 AM   #2
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nęstved, DK
Posts: 11,209

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
On people saying Orton needs to be traded: Immediate reaction is that's insane. Only two or three QBs that could take the load that was given to them and execute what Coach was trying to execute last season. That was just his 1st year in the system and he was able to execute it. It comes down to everybody else, the line, RBs, WRs and TEs making plays for Orton. If we had made plays for him, we would've won 6 of the lsat 8 games and Orton would've been a Pro Bowler and loved by everybody. It comes down to us making plays for him and letting him look as good as he can look because we all believe in him and his work ethic.
I can get behind this, Orton had 4 or 5 bad games last year, but he definitely gave the team a good chance to win 11 or 12 games. Considering it was his first year in the system and the first with the team, he had a bad finger injury early on which cost him some precious practice time and definitely held him back during the early games of the season and a nasty ankle injury halfway through the season, I think that is very acceptable.

I might be too optimistic, but I think it is highly likely that Orton takes us to the playoffs, his yard total might drop a bit but I think his TDs will be up in the 25 region.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:04 AM   #3
Hamrob
All-American!
 
Hamrob's Avatar
 
All-American!

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 6,214

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Why do you really think McDaniels didn't want to go down the field. Was it really just Marshall...we do have other WR's who are capable.

It's Kyle Orton folks...

That's why he went and got Quinn

That's why he drafted Tebow

Josh McDaniels knows that Orton is not the answer and that he can't spread the field with him playing QB.

That's obvious! if we get to the Playoffs...it will be despite Orton.
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,586

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
Why do you really think McDaniels didn't want to go down the field. Was it really just Marshall...we do have other WR's who are capable.

It's Kyle Orton folks...
Not even close to being the whole story.

1. The OLine needs to shoulder some blame. They couldn't consistently hold their blocks long enough for the deep plays to develop. This was obvious.

2. The WRs too. Never once did anyone who watched the games on tv or in person ever complain that WRs were getting open deep only to be ignored by Orton. Sorry. It just wasn't the case. The WRs as a group couldn't get separation last year on the deep routes.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:17 AM   #5
Los Broncos
Broncos Country
 
Los Broncos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Eastern Utah
Posts: 18,703

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady
Default

Orton went down the field pretty well in the Redskins game, not sure why we went away from that.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:24 AM   #6
jhns
Ring of Famer
 
but you still can't C me!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 12,356

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Clady View Post
Orton went down the field pretty well in the Redskins game, not sure why we went away from that.
Because we couldn't play the worst team in the league every game. Other teams actually had guys cover our receivers.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:27 AM   #7
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,586

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
Because we couldn't play the worst team in the league every game. Other teams actually had guys cover our receivers.
Fail.

The Redskins pass defense was literally ranked either #1 or #2 in the entire NFL when we played them.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:29 AM   #8
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nęstved, DK
Posts: 11,209

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Fail.

The Redskins pass defense was literally ranked either #1 or #2 in the entire NFL when we played them.
They were #1 by some margin when we faced them.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:29 AM   #9
jhns
Ring of Famer
 
but you still can't C me!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 12,356

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Fail.

The Redskins pass defense was literally ranked either #1 or #2 in the entire NFL when we played them.
Because people just ran on them since they couldn't stop it. Why risk passing on a crap team?

Are you saying they had good coverage? Is that really going to be your debate here?
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:38 AM   #10
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,586

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
Because people just ran on them since they couldn't stop it. Why risk passing on a crap team?
Keep digging that whole. The Skins had the #16 ranked rushing defense last year. Hardly a "crap" defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
Are you saying they had good coverage? Is that really going to be your debate here?
Nope. Not in the first half of that game, obviously. But overall, yes.

My argument is this: They were a very good unit in 2009. One of the best in the league. Orton took advantage of them for one half before he left with injury. This directly refutes your idiotic statement that they were among the worst in the league. There is not one shred of evidence you can cite to support this claim.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:39 AM   #11
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,746

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

good god, can we just ban jhns at this point?
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:39 AM   #12
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
12 straight road division wins

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 47,263

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
Because people just ran on them since they couldn't stop it. Why risk passing on a crap team?

Are you saying they had good coverage? Is that really going to be your debate here?
The Redskins weren't poor on Rush Defense either. They weren't world-beaters, but it's not like people were running all over them. Above average rush defense and the highest rated pass defense.

Try harder.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:41 AM   #13
bronco610
OLD FART
 
bronco610's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 1,836

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Keep digging that whole. The Skins had the #16 ranked rushing defense last year. Hardly a "crap" defense.



Nope. Not in the first half of that game, obviously. But overall, yes.

My argument is this: They were a very good unit in 2009. One of the best in the league. Orton took advantage of them for one half before he left with injury. This directly refutes your idiotic statement that they were among the worst in the league. There is not one shred of evidence you can cite to support this claim.
There you go again, confusing the issue with real facts. Not the sort of arguement we do on the Mane.
bronco610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:44 AM   #14
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!
 
Ray Finkle's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 7,532
Default

50/50 (Lloyd's nickname here) was cut from the Skins because he was up front and honest.....he mentioned in an interview how Gibbs was never in the the same meeting as Saunders......he was gone shortly after that.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:44 AM   #15
Rabb
No Luca, No!
 
Rabb's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 8,034

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
I can get behind this, Orton had 4 or 5 bad games last year, but he definitely gave the team a good chance to win 11 or 12 games. Considering it was his first year in the system and the first with the team, he had a bad finger injury early on which cost him some precious practice time and definitely held him back during the early games of the season and a nasty ankle injury halfway through the season, I think that is very acceptable.

I might be too optimistic, but I think it is highly likely that Orton takes us to the playoffs, his yard total might drop a bit but I think his TDs will be up in the 25 region.
I would love for you to give us examples, specifically, of these 4 or 5 bad games
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:45 AM   #16
jhns
Ring of Famer
 
but you still can't C me!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 12,356

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Keep digging that whole. The Skins had the #16 ranked rushing defense last year. Hardly a "crap" defense.



Nope. Not in the first half of that game, obviously. But overall, yes.

My argument is this: They were a very good unit in 2009. One of the best in the league. Orton took advantage of them for one half before he left with injury. This directly refutes your idiotic statement that they were among the worst in the league. There is not one shred of evidence you can cite to support this claim.
I can site a great piece of evidence that they were amongst the worst in the league. Look at their record big guy. Not hard.

Anyways, you are too obsessed with rankings. One day you will learn to break stuff down a little more and not rely on numbers alone. If a team only scores like 2 points a game and is crap, teams don't normally try tossing it around on them. When they don't need to score much, most teams pull ahead and run out the clock. That means they don't have as many yards against them because teams didn't need those yards and they aren't going to take a bunch of dumb risks to get yards that they don't need.

The Redskins were complete crap last year. They did not cover Marshall at all the couple of deep throws that are being talked about. It really doesn't matter what your rank is if you don't cover a receiver. Your attempted argument is just dumb. Like that rank means they played good against us or something. Funny stuff.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:46 AM   #17
Los Broncos
Broncos Country
 
Los Broncos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Eastern Utah
Posts: 18,703

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
Because we couldn't play the worst team in the league every game. Other teams actually had guys cover our receivers.
I meant in the Washington game, why didn't we go down field more?

I realize the game plan changes but why didn't we at least try it more?
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:50 AM   #18
jhns
Ring of Famer
 
but you still can't C me!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 12,356

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
The Redskins weren't poor on Rush Defense either. They weren't world-beaters, but it's not like people were running all over them. Above average rush defense and the highest rated pass defense.

Try harder.
Why do I need to try harder? Did you watch those plays? You can call that great pass defense if you want but I actually understand football. When a receiver doesn't have a defender within 20 yards on multiple plays, the defense is doing it wrong. I know, this is crazy talk. You can ask any coach though.

For such a great defense, they sure did ****ty.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:51 AM   #19
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,586

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
I can site a great piece of evidence that they were amongst the worst in the league. Look at their record big guy. Not hard.
Their record? What does that have to do with their defense?

Their offense was ranked 26th in the league last year in scoring and 22nd in yards. I think that had a tad more to do with their poor record than their #8 ranked defense, but whatever. You'll keep changing and twisting your argument like you always do to avoid admitting you were wrong.

Again, you said that Orton only did well against them because they were the worst in the league. Show me one shred of evidence supporting that. One.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:52 AM   #20
jhns
Ring of Famer
 
but you still can't C me!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 12,356

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Clady View Post
I meant in the Washington game, why didn't we go down field more?

I realize the game plan changes but why didn't we at least try it more?
We did with Orton. Then he got hurt, yet again. His replacement couldn't complete a 5 yard pass so deep passes were kind of out.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:53 AM   #21
Los Broncos
Broncos Country
 
Los Broncos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Eastern Utah
Posts: 18,703

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
We did with Orton. Then he got hurt, yet again. His replacement couldn't complete a 5 yard pass so deep passes were kind of out.
I forgot about that, hopefully the deep ball will come back.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:54 AM   #22
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,586

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
Why do I need to try harder? Did you watch those plays? You can call that great pass defense if you want but I actually understand football. When a receiver doesn't have a defender within 20 yards on multiple plays, the defense is doing it wrong. I know, this is crazy talk. You can ask any coach though.

For such a great defense, they sure did ****ty.
Hey genius, NOBODY is arguing that they played well every play that half. We are simply pointing out how idiotic your statement was that they were the worst unit in the league, when in fact they were ranked #1 at the time Denver faced them. This is really simple stuff here.

If you had simply said that they didn't look good against Orton, then nobody would've said anything. You, though, couldn't help yourself and in your blind hatred of all things Orton, found yourself making up things about Washington's defense that couldn't have been more wrong just to try to feel better about why Orton did so well against them.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:58 AM   #23
jhns
Ring of Famer
 
but you still can't C me!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 12,356

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
Because we couldn't play the worst team in the league every game. Other teams actually had guys cover our receivers.
See Bean, this is your problem. You just make random **** up and try arguing with it. You then will cry that I always say I didn't say something as you can't show where I did. Ill make it easy for you. Point out what part of this post says they are the worst defense in the league.

Learn to read and stop getting so upset that everyone doesn't love Orton. He isn't a good QB.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:01 PM   #24
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,586

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
See Bean, this is your problem. You just make random **** up and try arguing with it. You then will cry that I always say I didn't say something as you can't show where I did. Ill make it easy for you. Point out what part of this post says they are the worst defense in the league.

Learn to read and stop getting so upset that everyone doesn't love Orton. He isn't a good QB.
1. What does the opponent team ranking have to do with Orton? All he faces is the defense.

2. Washington by no measure was the worst team in the league last year.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:08 PM   #25
jhns
Ring of Famer
 
but you still can't C me!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 12,356

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
1. What does the opponent team ranking have to do with Orton? All he faces is the defense.

2. Washington by no measure was the worst team in the league last year.
1. Because he was playing a horrible team. Horrible teams are horrible because they make dumb mistakes all the time. That includes their defense. It is the exact reason we had guys running free down the field. I'm not sure how this is a good excuse for making up arguments though.

2. Sorry, 3rd or 4th worst team in the league. Does that make you feel better?
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:06 PM.


Denver Broncos