The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2010, 11:58 AM   #1
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
All Hail King Midas

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,503

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default Early look at StarCraft II Strategies

An unbeatable protoss strategy:

Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2010, 12:03 PM   #2
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel
 
Doggcow's Avatar
 
http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,972

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

I truly believe the days of RTS are numbered. Does anyone honestly have the 15 hours a day to play these to get worthwhile at them anymore?

Not to mention, Consoles are definitely winning.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:12 PM   #3
Cmac821
Harden by loss
 
Cmac821's Avatar
 
Can't wait for next year

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Southern Los Angeles
Posts: 1,173

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Fox Mulder
Default

Wow, why did I watch that?
Cmac821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather
 
Houshyamama's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 4,494

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
I truly believe the days of RTS are numbered. Does anyone honestly have the 15 hours a day to play these to get worthwhile at them anymore?

Not to mention, Consoles are definitely winning.
Starcraft is pretty much South Korea's national pastime.

"I don't know much about Activision games"

Last edited by Houshyamama; 05-26-2010 at 04:09 PM..
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:07 PM   #5
Dandaman
Solid Starter
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: OC, CA
Posts: 244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houshyamama View Post
Starcraft is pretty much South Korea's national pastime.
So true... They have a video game channel that almost exclusively shows two guys playing starcraft with everything included (audience and fans, interviews, maybe even cheerleaders?). It's nuts.
Dandaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
Dexter
Pro Bowler
 
Dexter's Avatar
 
Bay Harbor Butcher

Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 649

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
I truly believe the days of RTS are numbered. Does anyone honestly have the 15 hours a day to play these to get worthwhile at them anymore?

Not to mention, Consoles are definitely winning.
Yeah consoles are winning so that means PC games will become obsolete. I'm sorry but FPS games, MMO's and RTS games will always keep PC gaming alive. And to answer your question, yes as our society gets lazier each generation, we do have more time to play them and they are a lot easier to access from different places.

I love how people grasp at the idea that somehow there is a competition between PC and Console gaming, when most developers make their games for multiple systems so they can bring in the cash. RTS games will still be around for a very long time as long as SC2, Company of heroes, and other great ones exist.

You really have no idea what you're saying, and being a console fanboy makes your opinion on PC gaming laughable.

Last edited by Dexter; 05-26-2010 at 04:40 PM..
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:49 PM   #7
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel
 
Doggcow's Avatar
 
http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,972

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
Yeah consoles are winning so that means PC games will become obsolete. I'm sorry but FPS games, MMO's and RTS games will always keep PC gaming alive. And to answer your question, yes as our society gets lazier each generation, we do have more time to play them and they are a lot easier to access from different places.

I love how people grasp at the idea that somehow there is a competition between PC and Console gaming, when most developers make their games for multiple systems so they can bring in the cash. RTS games will still be around for a very long time as long as SC2, Company of heroes, and other great ones exist.

You really have no idea what you're saying, and being a console fanboy makes your opinion on PC gaming laughable.
Yes, I have no idea what I'm talking about. How about you learn your place before you start calling people fanboys and calling their FACTS "opinions" and calling your "opinion" a fact.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6203825.html

Also

US Total Game Software Sales
1995 - $3.2 billion
1996 - $3.7 billion (105 million units)
1997 - $4.4 billion (133 million units)
1998 - $5.5 billion (181 million units)
1999 - $6.1 billion (215 million units)
2000 - $6.02 billion (219 million units)
2001 - $6.35 billion (225 million units)
2002 - $6.9 billion (221.7 million units)
2003 - $7 billion (239.2 million units)
2004 - $7.3 billion (250 million units)
2005 - $7 billion (228.5 million units)
2006 - $7.4 billion

US Console & Handheld Total Sales
1997 - $5.1 billion
1998 - $6.2 billion
1999 - $6.9 billion
2000 - $6.6 billion
2001 - $9.4 billion
2002 - $10.3 billion
2003 - $10 billion
2004 - $9.9 billion
2005 - $10.3 billion
2006 - $12.5 billion

US Console & Handheld Hardware Sales
1998 - $2.5 billion
1999 - $2.7 billion
2000 - $2.5 billion
2001 - $4.8 billion
2002 - $4.8 billion
2003 - $4.2 billion
2004 - $3.7 billion
2005 - $4.2 billion
2006 - $4.6 billion ($2.9 billion console + $1.7 billion handheld)

US Console & Handheld Game Software Sales
1998 - $3.7 billion
1999 - $4.2 billion
2000 - $4.1 billion (130.6 million units)
2001 - $4.6 billion (141.5 million units)
2002 - $5.5 billion (162.8 million units)
2003 - $5.8 billion (186.4 million units)
2004 - $6.2 billion (203 million units)
2005 - $6.1 billion (190.5 million units)
2006 - $6.5 billion

US PC Game Total Sales
2005 - $1.4 billion

US PC Game Software Sales
1998 - $1.8 billion
1999 - $1.9 billion
2000 - $1.78 billion (84.9 million units)
2001 - $1.75 billion (83.6 million units)
2002 - $1.4 billion (61.5 million units)
2003 - $1.2 billion (52.8 million units)
2004 - $1.1 billion (47 million units)
2005 - $953 million (38 million units)
2006 - $970 million

US PC Game Online Sales
2005 - $344 million

US Console Game Software Sales
2002 - $4.65 billion
2003 - $4.9 billion (149 million units)
2004 - $5.2 billion (160.7 million units)
2005 - $4.7 billion
2006 - $4.8 billion

US Handheld Game Software Sales
2002 - $856 million
2003 - $903 million (37.4 million units)
2004 - $1.0 billion (42.3 million units)
2005 - $1.4 billion
2006 - $1.7 billion

__________________________________________________ ___

Being a PC Fanboy making a fact-less attacking argument makes your ideas laughable.

Last edited by Doggcow; 05-26-2010 at 04:54 PM..
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:07 PM   #8
OABB
sarcasm font
 
OABB's Avatar
 
always on.

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los angeles
Posts: 7,360

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno
Default

Did I walk into a tri lamda rush party?
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:16 PM   #9
Dexter
Pro Bowler
 
Dexter's Avatar
 
Bay Harbor Butcher

Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 649

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
Yes, I have no idea what I'm talking about. How about you learn your place before you start calling people fanboys and calling their FACTS "opinions" and calling your "opinion" a fact.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6203825.html

Also

US Total Game Software Sales
1995 - $3.2 billion
1996 - $3.7 billion (105 million units)
1997 - $4.4 billion (133 million units)
1998 - $5.5 billion (181 million units)
1999 - $6.1 billion (215 million units)
2000 - $6.02 billion (219 million units)
2001 - $6.35 billion (225 million units)
2002 - $6.9 billion (221.7 million units)
2003 - $7 billion (239.2 million units)
2004 - $7.3 billion (250 million units)
2005 - $7 billion (228.5 million units)
2006 - $7.4 billion

US Console & Handheld Total Sales
1997 - $5.1 billion
1998 - $6.2 billion
1999 - $6.9 billion
2000 - $6.6 billion
2001 - $9.4 billion
2002 - $10.3 billion
2003 - $10 billion
2004 - $9.9 billion
2005 - $10.3 billion
2006 - $12.5 billion

US Console & Handheld Hardware Sales
1998 - $2.5 billion
1999 - $2.7 billion
2000 - $2.5 billion
2001 - $4.8 billion
2002 - $4.8 billion
2003 - $4.2 billion
2004 - $3.7 billion
2005 - $4.2 billion
2006 - $4.6 billion ($2.9 billion console + $1.7 billion handheld)

US Console & Handheld Game Software Sales
1998 - $3.7 billion
1999 - $4.2 billion
2000 - $4.1 billion (130.6 million units)
2001 - $4.6 billion (141.5 million units)
2002 - $5.5 billion (162.8 million units)
2003 - $5.8 billion (186.4 million units)
2004 - $6.2 billion (203 million units)
2005 - $6.1 billion (190.5 million units)
2006 - $6.5 billion

US PC Game Total Sales
2005 - $1.4 billion

US PC Game Software Sales
1998 - $1.8 billion
1999 - $1.9 billion
2000 - $1.78 billion (84.9 million units)
2001 - $1.75 billion (83.6 million units)
2002 - $1.4 billion (61.5 million units)
2003 - $1.2 billion (52.8 million units)
2004 - $1.1 billion (47 million units)
2005 - $953 million (38 million units)
2006 - $970 million

US PC Game Online Sales
2005 - $344 million

US Console Game Software Sales
2002 - $4.65 billion
2003 - $4.9 billion (149 million units)
2004 - $5.2 billion (160.7 million units)
2005 - $4.7 billion
2006 - $4.8 billion

US Handheld Game Software Sales
2002 - $856 million
2003 - $903 million (37.4 million units)
2004 - $1.0 billion (42.3 million units)
2005 - $1.4 billion
2006 - $1.7 billion

__________________________________________________ ___

Being a PC Fanboy making a fact-less attacking argument makes your ideas laughable.

I don't doubt these numbers and never did. My point was that you are insinuating that this is going to somehow cause the PC gaming industry to die. Specifically where the days of RTS games "are numbered", which simply isn't true. Maybe you should get some reading comprehension. People such as yourself are so focused on who's "winning" when in all reality, people play what they enjoy and companies will continue making games for the PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii etc if they are having success.

Calling me a pc fanboy is also fairly funny considering I have a 360, Wii, PS3 along with my PC. Which I all play on a regular basis The console market makes more $$ for good reason. 1) Allows any person interested in games to get a cheaper system. 2) More user friendly games.

This does NOT mean however, that since they are making more money that PC gaming is going to become obsolete in the near future. You're just like all those other people who keep the stupid Console wars raging, or attacking the PC games. Somehow in your eyes there needs to be a "winner". You do realize that competition is a good thing I hope?

Also upon further reading of your link, are 08 numbers. Where the highest selling games were expansions. Those numbers were down from 06 and 07 where the PC gaming industry actually saw increases in revenue. But yeah PC gaming and RTS titles are LOSING AND DYING OMG.

Last edited by Dexter; 05-26-2010 at 05:23 PM..
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:32 PM   #10
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
All Hail King Midas

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,503

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

My joke Protoss Strategery video has been capsorized by fanboys.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:49 PM   #11
misturanderson
Ring of Famer
 
Why not?

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Diago
Posts: 1,786

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas
Default

That was pretty funny. Not sure why she claims that the terrans are protoss though.
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:49 PM   #12
snowspot66
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,814
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
I truly believe the days of RTS are numbered. Does anyone honestly have the 15 hours a day to play these to get worthwhile at them anymore?

Not to mention, Consoles are definitely winning.
No their not. Their just becoming PC's you can't upgrade. Won't be long before it's all the same thing. You think Sony and Microsoft like selling the hardware at a massive loss every time they launch a new system? Just a matter of time before the focus is on the games only.

Last edited by snowspot66; 05-26-2010 at 05:52 PM..
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:58 PM   #13
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather
 
Houshyamama's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 4,494

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler
Default

O'doyle rules
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:06 PM   #14
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel
 
Doggcow's Avatar
 
http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,972

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowspot66 View Post
No their not. Their just becoming PC's you can't upgrade. Won't be long before it's all the same thing. You think Sony and Microsoft like selling the hardware at a massive loss every time they launch a new system? Just a matter of time before the focus is on the games only.
A)Their B) There C) They're.

Correct answer would have been C.

They don't sell systems at a massive loss, because they sell them as an investment in the person, and they make massive profit back off of the titles sold.

Just like at the Grocery store when the offer you free samples, sure it costs them money, but they make more in the end. This business strategy has been employed over and over- SUCCESSFULLY.

Just look at the stats I listed, they are progressively crushing PC sales.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:11 PM   #15
Dexter
Pro Bowler
 
Dexter's Avatar
 
Bay Harbor Butcher

Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 649

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
A)Their B) There C) They're.

Correct answer would have been C.

They don't sell systems at a massive loss, because they sell them as an investment in the person, and they make massive profit back off of the titles sold.

Just like at the Grocery store when the offer you free samples, sure it costs them money, but they make more in the end. This business strategy has been employed over and over- SUCCESSFULLY.

Just look at the stats I listed, they are progressively crushing PC sales.
So? Please explain to me why this really matters, other than to express the fact about how horny you are over your certain console system? PC Gaming is successful, and a somewhat different market than those on the console systems. So whats your point really? Millions and millions play and will continue to play games on the pc for years to come.
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:13 PM   #16
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel
 
Doggcow's Avatar
 
http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,972

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
I don't doubt these numbers and never did. My point was that you are insinuating that this is going to somehow cause the PC gaming industry to die. Specifically where the days of RTS games "are numbered", which simply isn't true. Maybe you should get some reading comprehension. People such as yourself are so focused on who's "winning" when in all reality, people play what they enjoy and companies will continue making games for the PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii etc if they are having success.

Calling me a pc fanboy is also fairly funny considering I have a 360, Wii, PS3 along with my PC. Which I all play on a regular basis The console market makes more $$ for good reason. 1) Allows any person interested in games to get a cheaper system. 2) More user friendly games.

This does NOT mean however, that since they are making more money that PC gaming is going to become obsolete in the near future. You're just like all those other people who keep the stupid Console wars raging, or attacking the PC games. Somehow in your eyes there needs to be a "winner". You do realize that competition is a good thing I hope?

Also upon further reading of your link, are 08 numbers. Where the highest selling games were expansions. Those numbers were down from 06 and 07 where the PC gaming industry actually saw increases in revenue. But yeah PC gaming and RTS titles are LOSING AND DYING OMG.
You're right, in your defense, there are 5 or 12 people still holding onto their Luddite ideals, and may do that forever. But realistically the industry is regressing; dying.

Do people still play SNES/NES etc? Yes. Does that mean they're extremely successful or productive? No. Does it mean the industry still exists? No.

Dropping from 1.8 billion to 900 million in 7 years is pretty much dying in my opinion. Sure, there will still be a few hanging around, but the major focus of the industry will continue to sway away from PC's as it progressively has for years.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:15 PM   #17
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel
 
Doggcow's Avatar
 
http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,972

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
So? Please explain to me why this really matters, other than to express the fact about how horny you are over your certain console system? PC Gaming is successful, and a somewhat different market than those on the console systems. So whats your point really? Millions and millions play and will continue to play games on the pc for years to come.
I guess losing billions of dollars in the past decade is successful.

You win.

And I own all 3 consoles as well as a high end PC.

I've yet to have a desire to install anything on my PC to play.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:34 PM   #18
Dexter
Pro Bowler
 
Dexter's Avatar
 
Bay Harbor Butcher

Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 649

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
I guess losing billions of dollars in the past decade is successful.

You win.

And I own all 3 consoles as well as a high end PC.

I've yet to have a desire to install anything on my PC to play.
You have a different taste in games then. Tell Blizzard/activision, EA, Valve, and others that PC gaming is dying.

World of Warcraft, Starcraft, Starcraft 2, Diablo 2 and soon 3, Counterstrike, Team Fortress, Company of heroes, Left 4 Dead, The battlefield series, Call of Duty, LOTR online, Warhammer online, The Witcher, DA origins, I could go on. Yeah all games and genres that are dying.


Here's a comparison.

Lets take two successful companies in another business type. Lets say Fedex and UPS. UPS makes more, and is 5 times larger than Fedex. Both are successful however, as its Fedex's goal to be the best small package delivery company versus the largest. Fedex is usually also on average 1 day faster in its delivery, and has made enough money over this recession period to avoid laying people off. Both two successful companies, and delivery types but different in the way they are operated. Same goes for Console versus PC systems.

The more successful companies for the PC gaming industry haven't lost money, and are continuing to make great games. Just because you can't seem to find any you like, doesn't mean that others won't, and not for a long time. When blizzard sets records for sales on SC2 this summer, come back again and tell me that the days for RTS games are numbered

Also comparing the SNES to current gaming giants such as blizzard, EA, and Valve is laughable. The fact that you went there is embarrassing on your part.

Last edited by Dexter; 05-26-2010 at 06:38 PM..
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:37 PM   #19
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Where is Amazon!

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 35,571

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
You have a different taste in games then. Tell Blizzard/activision, EA, Valve, and others that PC gaming is dying.

World of Warcraft, Starcraft, Starcraft 2, Diablo 2 and soon 3, Counterstrike, Team Fortress, Company of heroes, Left 4 Dead, The battlefield series, Call of Duty. Yeah all games and genres that are dying.


Here's a comparison.

Lets take two successful companies in another business type. Lets say Fedex and UPS. UPS makes more, and is 5 times larger than Fedex. Both are successful however, as its Fedex's goal to be the best small package delivery company versus the largest. Fedex is usually also on average 1 day faster in its delivery, and has made enough money over this recession period to avoid laying people off.

The more successful companies for the PC gaming industry haven't lost money, and are continuing to make great games. Just because you can't seem to find any you like, doesn't mean that others won't, and not for a long time. When blizzard sets records for sales on SC2 this summer, come back again and tell me that the days for RTS games are numbered

Also comparing the SNES to current gaming giants such as blizzard, EA, and Valve is laughable. The fact that you went there is embarrassing on your part.
So PC gaming is MS and consoles are Apple?
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:02 PM   #20
scorpio
Cubicle Pimp
 
scorpio's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,502
Default

you're both ugly
scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:05 PM   #21
Steve Sewell
Oh Tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!
 
Steve Sewell's Avatar
 
Patrick and Ty's pimp

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,621

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Reggie Rivers
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
Just look at the stats I listed, they are progressively crushing PC sales.
Are MMO subscription revenues accounted for in the "PC sales" category? I would imagine that a great deal of PC game revenue is derived from MMO subs nowadays as opposed to actual title sales.

On a personal note, PC gameplay in general is just so much better than console.
Steve Sewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:13 PM   #22
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer
 
Atwater His Ass's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,793

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Personally, I got tired of console gaming years ago. The last time I was really into consoles was PS1. I bought a PS2 only because I though I should, and didn't buy a PS3 for quite some time after they came out. I've never been a fan of Xbox at all.

Most of the time, any game worth buying is a better experience on PC imo. One of my hobbies is also building PC's for myself and others, so while I'm not into bleeding edge components, I keep my PC pretty well upgraded.

I only bought a PS3 for it's ability to play blu-rays.

I would like to see the focus for consoles to evolve more into being the centerpiece of complete home entertainment, including movies, music, games, internet, pictures, etc. Which it kind of already is, but I still get better functionality using my 5 year old laptop through my home entertainment receiver with it's wireless to my home network.

I would spend $500-600 every few years on the new console of choice happily, if it could provide better media applications.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:20 PM   #23
OABB
sarcasm font
 
OABB's Avatar
 
always on.

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los angeles
Posts: 7,360

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno
Default

Name:  nerd-fight_thumb.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  18.3 KB
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:05 PM   #24
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather
 
Houshyamama's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 4,494

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler
Default

Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:10 PM   #25
ghwk
Ring of Famer
 
ghwk's Avatar
 
Survivor survivor!

Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,751

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5
Default

I wasted time on this thread only to say that PC Gamer mag also did how to win at Starcraft feature last month. I mean it was really a waste of time.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:07 AM.


Denver Broncos