The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
newsanchor
Rookie

Default For Muscles, what is the alternative to steroids?

I want to have strong muscles, but just not to look good.

I'm gonna be enlisting in the Army next year, and I need the strength to pass the physical exam, and I'm gonna be lifting some heavy artillery.

Also, I need the physical strength to kick butt and fight back. I've been confronted by jackasses on the street, and I feel weak enough to run away.

I'm not the steroid type, so along with eating right and exercising, what do you suggest?

I heard that creatine and whey protein are alternatives, but can you suggest anymore along with eating and exercising?
newsanchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2010, 04:03 PM   #2
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Lean proteins, be careful with sugar and salt, lots of veggies.

Whey protein no more than 30 minutes after workouts. You will see a difference almost immediately.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:04 PM   #3
broncswin
God I love those Broncos

Bring back the hardware

Adopt-a-Bronco:
three amigos

I have tried about everything but roids...ya creatine works, but is not that good on the body...I would feel like shait when I was done working out...I have found that eating right and using own weight force has been great on my body and I feel and look strong(Not huge by any means)...Pulls ups and push ups have done wonders for me, along with cardio. I used to lift heavy when I played college ball, but have since passed those days up and am just maintaining and staying fit...hope this helps.
broncswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
extralife
Ring of Famer

The alternative to steroids is not steroids. Pretty simple. Dunno why "better take some roids" is the first thing that comes to your mind.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
The alternative to steroids is not steroids. Pretty simple. Dunno why "better take some roids" is the first thing that comes to your mind.
rofl
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:13 PM   #6
newsanchor
Rookie

I know about the side effects of steroids, mental and physical.

Also, I know how it takes the fairness and fun away from important things, like passing the physical and competing in sports.

I was on the high school ski team, and I never took that s---t, nor did my coach suggest I do.

That is why I'm asking, so I can stay clean no matter what
Old 05-23-2010, 04:13 PM   #7
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Oh, this annoying toll guy is still here?
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:23 PM   #8
Endy
Go Donks

Thanks McDaniels for my season tix

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Nacho

Easy. Drink the blood of Ed Hochuli. Assuming it doesn't kill you (which it almost certainly will), you will not only immediately quadruple your muscle mass, but you will also be immortal. You will actually become an army of one.
Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:25 PM   #9
newsanchor
Rookie

The A$$WIPE NFL Referee? Forget it!!!
Old 05-23-2010, 04:26 PM   #10
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsanchor View Post

I'm gonna be enlisting in the Army next year, and I need the strength to pass the physical exam, and I'm gonna be lifting some heavy artillery.

Also, I need the physical strength to kick butt and fight back. I've been confronted by jackasses on the street, and I feel weak enough to run away.

I'm not the steroid type, so along with eating right and exercising, what do you suggest?

I heard that creatine and whey protein are alternatives, but can you suggest anymore along with eating and exercising?
If you are joining the Army, go to the local recruiter office and get with their weekend fitness program. The military is looking for functional strength and not body builders.

First you need to be running every morning - 2 to 3 miles (yes I know the Army is revamping it PT program and dropping the 5k requirement, but it good start for recruits)

Second you need to start doing pull-up, every day. It will help when you hit basic, also 50 push-up and 100 sit-ups. Follow that by basic weight training 2 to 3 times a week. That will set you up.
elsid13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:28 PM   #11
newsanchor
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
If you are joining the Army, go to the local recruiter office and get with their weekend fitness program. The military is looking for functional strength and not body builders.

First you need to be running every morning - 2 to 3 miles (yes I know the Army is revamping it PT program and dropping the 5k requirement, but it good start for recruits)

Second you need to start doing pull-up, every day. It will help when you hit basic, also 50 push-up and 100 sit-ups. Follow that by basic weight training 2 to 3 times a week. That will set you up.
I don't want to be a bodybuilder, I want to have the strength to kick ass, serve my country, and increase my manliness.

Face it! I'm a weak motherf----ker
Old 05-23-2010, 04:35 PM   #12
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

hard work. seriously, go to the gym and give it everything youve got, no amount of supplements on this planet (aside from steroids) can make up for that.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:37 PM   #13
newsanchor
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
hard work. seriously, go to the gym and give it everything youve got, no amount of supplements on this planet (aside from steroids) can make up for that.
I know about taking in the amount of calories, and burning them off by lifting weights and cardio.

The steroid-substitute like whey protein and creatine will give me an extra boost, but naturally and real.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:42 PM   #14
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

It sounds like your young. When I joined the Marines back in the day...I was fast as hell and strong...but, I couldn't add the weight. That's just one's metabolism doing what it does. I evently put on weight by eating alot, taking protein and lifting heavy weight 3-5 reps. It took some time though. I remember getting out of boot camp and having no fear. 25yrs later...I'm still not afraid of too much!

Be patient...if you want to get big...you will. It has more to do with being dedicated to getting bigger and it doesn't always happen quickly.

Good luck!
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:45 PM   #15
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I know about taking in the amount of calories, and burning them off by lifting weights and cardio.

The steroid-substitute like whey protein and creatine will give me an extra boost, but naturally and real.
whey and creatine arent steroid substitutes at all. one is protein which helps restore and repair muscles, the other is a volumizer, which in reality isnt going to give you HUGE gains.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:57 PM   #16
Deuce
Solid Starter

For strength, squat, deadlift and bench, you can add other stuff if you want but focus on these three, lift heavy and you will be set. Obviously you need to be in good cardio shape too but I will let others chime in on that. Also focus on good nutrtition, its a hundred times more important than whey or creatine. Lots of protien, lots of veggies, lots of water.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:05 PM   #17
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Quote:
I don't want to be a bodybuilder, I want to have the strength to kick ass, serve my country, and increase my manliness.

Face it! I'm a weak motherf----ker
Does not matter how strong you are, A 8 year old with a hand gun will put you down everytime. Sounds like working on street smarts and book smarts would do you alot more good.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:09 PM   #18
Hartley
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Protein is an important supplement even if your not lifting, though you probably get enough through your diet anyway. Even so, it can help give you what you need to repair, go to wal-mart pick up some cheap stuff and take it after you work out. (dont worry about the creatine for now)

To be honest though, i have spent lots of money on supplements, they really don't do much. Ive also had plenty of success and gains when i wasn't taking anything either. So use them if you want, if nothing else they can be used as a placebo to get you excited about going to the gym, cause the hardest part about working out is doing it consistently. If you get nothing else out of this post just remember that the most important thing is not to give up. just keep at it even when you dont feel like it. You will get bigger and stronger when you stick with it
Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:35 PM   #19
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

A combo of HGH, Protein and Creatine works pretty good.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:37 PM   #20
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:

Whey protein, creatine, glutamine and lots of time in the gym.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:17 PM   #21
Cam07
Just Drafted

Never Trust a Hippy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

There's no magic involved with building strength. Just find a good workout that is suitable for your experience and eat right. Get your fruits, veggies and proteins. The supplements I would personally recommend are whey and casein protein. Take the whey immediately after your workout and in the morning after a workout and take casein before you go to bed.
Cam07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:27 PM   #22
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post

This.

Functional strength is severely underrated. Go to the recruiter, work out with them. When my dad ran RS Pittsburgh (USMC) he would have potential recruits work out with the Marines on recruiting duty to get them in shape. Find out the minimum requirements for the army, and work to surpass them. My dad was actually upset because alot of the kids he was recruiting had a hard time with pullups and timed miles...they couldnt do them.

Run. Often.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:32 PM   #23
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
this.

just smash it at the gym.

can't afford a gym membership?

run. push ups. chin ups. sit ups. run. squats. lunges. run.

run every day, do the rest every second
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:33 PM   #24
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

there is NO substitute for hard work. There are no short cuts that are worth taking with this.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:06 PM   #25
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Calories. LOTS of calories. During hypetrophy it takes me 4800 Calories minimum to build any muscle at all (at 30 years old). I suspect if I was more seriously working out at 18 it would have been closer to 6000.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote