The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2010, 02:51 AM   #1
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer
 
21ís No Champ

Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,087

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15
Default Really good Mike Lombardi interview

In the podcast section of MHSR http://www.thescore1510.com/Denver-Sports-Podcasts.php

He said he thinks Darcel McBath is going to be a good player for Denver and really likes how Josh runs practices. Thinks Josh and his coaching staff do a great job teaching the young players.

He also had some extremely high praise for Demaryius Thomas and said that he thinks he will be a big time impact player for Denver.

My favorite part of the interview though was when he compared the way Shanahan went about building a team to the way McDaniels does.

Here it is pretty much word for word.

Quote:
I think this is a very different team from when I was there in 2007. I think Mike was trying to put the team together with a lot of straw and glue because he was always trying to make that one run, when you win a Super Bowl you always try to patch it together to get to the next Super Bowl. I think what Josh has done is realized that he's got to fix the team in his style his manner so he can withstand a Super Bowl run and not just try to patchwork. So a lot of the guys who were in the past there are gone that were patchwork players. Defensively its a completely different defense. I think its a completely different football team from the physicality of their offensive and defensive lines to where they were two years ago. When I was there I just never thought physically that the game was ever going to get under control because there wasn't enough big players on the team. But that's Mike's style, Mike's style is more of he wants to be quick/athletic and it works. But when I look at a team I like big physical football teams. I like what Denver's doing and I think they are moving in the right direction.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2010, 03:37 AM   #2
extralife
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,961
Default

He's right about Shanahan, obviously. Mike always thought that if he could plug a few holes and run his game plan offensively, that he could out-coach anyone in the league and get wins. And he was right. The problem was our teams just kept wearing down. Maybe that was a result of the physical nature of the game, where Mike thought his chess pieces were consistent in how they operated, only, well, they weren't.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:40 AM   #3
meangene
Ring of Famer
 
meangene's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,086
Default

I always enjoy Lombardi's takes. How many national media types even know who McBath is? The guy really knows his stuff.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:11 AM   #4
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Touched By God

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,689
Default

I would like to know what Nate Jackson thinks of this.
__________________
Nobody puts Jay-bee in the corner.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:46 AM   #5
Hamrob
All-American!
 
Hamrob's Avatar
 
All-American!

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 5,522

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

We'll have to see. Yes, we are concentrating on getting bigger on the lines. I wish I could say we were getting younger on the Dline. I'd somewhat not impressed with Lombardi's observations. Why would he turn a blind eye to the defensive side of the ball...where all McD has done is to add patches. We have one of the oldest defenses in the league. We just add 3 old guys to the dline...in a patchwork attempt. Call it what you want...but, it's still the same. Shanny had just build a top-5 Oline with Harris, Kuper and Clady...What exactly has McD done that is so different?
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:06 AM   #6
BroncoSojia
Go Broncos
 
BroncoSojia's Avatar
 
Thanks Champ for the past 10 years

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 532

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bey Bey Thomas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
We'll have to see. Yes, we are concentrating on getting bigger on the lines. I wish I could say we were getting younger on the Dline. I'd somewhat not impressed with Lombardi's observations. Why would he turn a blind eye to the defensive side of the ball...where all McD has done is to add patches. We have one of the oldest defenses in the league. We just add 3 old guys to the dline...in a patchwork attempt. Call it what you want...but, it's still the same. Shanny had just build a top-5 Oline with Harris, Kuper and Clady...What exactly has McD done that is so different?

That part just irritates me. We have a need for youth and different makers at the Dline (the most important part of the 3-4 D) yet we went 2 straight years without drafting a Dlineman, 3 if you don't count Powell in 08.

Before someone says that is not how the pats do it, Belicheck drafted 3 3-4 Dlinemen in the first round over the course of four years; Dick Seymour in 01, Ty Warren in 03 and Vince Wilfork in 04.

Hopefully we take care of this in the draft next year.
BroncoSojia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:13 AM   #7
Inkana7
Ring of Famer
 
Inkana7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,345

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoSojia View Post
That part just irritates me. We have a need for youth and different makers at the Dline (the most important part of the 3-4 D) yet we went 2 straight years without drafting a Dlineman, 3 if you don't count Powell in 08.

Before someone says that is not how the pats do it, Belicheck drafted 3 3-4 Dlinemen in the first round over the course of four years; Dick Seymour in 01, Ty Warren in 03 and Vince Wilfork in 04.

Hopefully we take care of this in the draft next year.
Damn, I had almost forgotten about Powell. Is he still with the team?
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:32 AM   #8
Hamrob
All-American!
 
Hamrob's Avatar
 
All-American!

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 5,522

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoSojia View Post
That part just irritates me. We have a need for youth and different makers at the Dline (the most important part of the 3-4 D) yet we went 2 straight years without drafting a Dlineman, 3 if you don't count Powell in 08.

Before someone says that is not how the pats do it, Belicheck drafted 3 3-4 Dlinemen in the first round over the course of four years; Dick Seymour in 01, Ty Warren in 03 and Vince Wilfork in 04.

Hopefully we take care of this in the draft next year.
My point isn't that it was a bad thing...I think our dline will be improved because of it. But, to say that McD has done things so much differently than Shanny is fiction in my opinion. He's building the team to fit his philosophy that's for sure...he's getting bigger yes...but, he's still patching holes just like Shanny did. And, our defense may be good this year...in o.k....but, not great...and what has McDaniel's done through the draft to improve it? Ayers, McBath....both reaches in most peoples minds. Yes, I hope they pan out...but, it's not like McD has done anything different on the D side of the ball than Shanny did. In fact...he's done it exactly how Shanny did...
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:33 AM   #9
strafen
Karma
 
strafen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,334

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
We'll have to see. Yes, we are concentrating on getting bigger on the lines. I wish I could say we were getting younger on the Dline. I'd somewhat not impressed with Lombardi's observations. Why would he turn a blind eye to the defensive side of the ball...where all McD has done is to add patches. We have one of the oldest defenses in the league. We just add 3 old guys to the dline...in a patchwork attempt. Call it what you want...but, it's still the same. Shanny had just build a top-5 Oline with Harris, Kuper and Clady...What exactly has McD done that is so different?
I agree. The way McDaniels have drafted in his two years supports that. 6 offensive players drafted in 2009 and only 4 defensive players; 3 of which were a DB and one a LB
In 2010 we drafted 9 players. 7 offensive players, and two defensive players; a DE and another DB
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:13 AM   #10
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .
 
Cito Pelon's Avatar
 
Not2Shabby County Seat

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AFC Championshipville, NotTooShabby County
Posts: 16,329

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafen View Post
I agree. The way McDaniels have drafted in his two years supports that. 6 offensive players drafted in 2009 and only 4 defensive players; 3 of which were a DB and one a LB
In 2010 we drafted 9 players. 7 offensive players, and two defensive players; a DE and another DB
What was your username before you went to strafen?
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:18 AM   #11
OABB
sarcasm font
 
OABB's Avatar
 
always on.

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los angeles
Posts: 7,341

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno
Default

It is irrelevent to talk about patchworking and draft history when the guy has only been here one calendar year. What was he supposed to do, petition he league for a couple more drafts?
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:33 AM   #12
meangene
Ring of Famer
 
meangene's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,086
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblueblooded View Post
It is irrelevent to talk about patchworking and draft history when the guy has only been here one calendar year. What was he supposed to do, petition he league for a couple more drafts?
Seriously! The guy has completely blown up the roster in a little over a year. He has rid the team of the problem children and completely changed the locker room culture. We have a ton of young developmental players on both sides of the ball. How he went about revamping the roster was, to some extent, dictated by the free agent market. He has brought in relatively cheap experienced players who can still play to help in the transition and give the younger guys time to develop while not breaking the bank and destroying the salary structure.

One of Shanahan's biggest failings, IMO, was catering to guys like Cutler and Marshall because he always thought the Super Bowl was just one year away rather than building a system for the long haul designed to win consistently as a team. Character and unselfishness are key components to that.

McDaniels clearly sees the weaknesses along the offensive and defensive lines as our biggest needs. He addressed the OL big time in the past draft. Since the FA market was much stronger on the DL than the OL, he went that route on the DL. Rest assured, an influx of young DL talent is coming in the next year. We have a young LB group and a lot of developmental guys in the secondary.

There really is no comparison between Shanahan and McDaniels methods of developing a team or roster.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:40 AM   #13
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .
 
Cito Pelon's Avatar
 
Not2Shabby County Seat

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AFC Championshipville, NotTooShabby County
Posts: 16,329

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoSojia View Post
That part just irritates me. We have a need for youth and different makers at the Dline (the most important part of the 3-4 D) yet we went 2 straight years without drafting a Dlineman, 3 if you don't count Powell in 08.

Before someone says that is not how the pats do it, Belicheck drafted 3 3-4 Dlinemen in the first round over the course of four years; Dick Seymour in 01, Ty Warren in 03 and Vince Wilfork in 04.

Hopefully we take care of this in the draft next year.
Hell, everybody recognizes that.

But they can't address all the problems as fast as everybody wants. The biggest need after 2008 was to address the D backfield, they did that both through FA and the draft, short term as well as long term.

There was a big need to address the DL after 2008 also, they did that as well as they could through FA, but there wasn't much FA help available unless it was for bigtime contracts. But they did draft Ayers, who was expected to be bigtime, I had him pegged as a potentially great 3-4 OLB. Granted, they could have focused more on DL drafting in 2009, I really wanted them to draft Paul Kruger, I think he'll be a solid 3-4 player for a long time.

But there was other needs in the 2009 draft also. There was no stud RB's on the roster, so they drafted the best tailback available, Moreno, and augmented the backs with Buck.

There was a big need to address the OL after 2009, they did that in 2010.

Shanny left this team needing all kinds of rebuilding, basically. It was a dysfunctional organization going nowhere.

It was good to get a fresh start, and I think the future is bright.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:04 AM   #14
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer
 
Florida_Bronco's Avatar
 
Coming Back Strong in 2014

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 13,831

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
We just add 3 old guys to the dline...in a patchwork attempt.
Those three old guys are they to provide rotation and leadership for young guys like McBean and Baker.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:13 AM   #15
OABB
sarcasm font
 
OABB's Avatar
 
always on.

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los angeles
Posts: 7,341

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangene View Post
Seriously! The guy has completely blown up the roster in a little over a year. He has rid the team of the problem children and completely changed the locker room culture. We have a ton of young developmental players on both sides of the ball. How he went about revamping the roster was, to some extent, dictated by the free agent market. He has brought in relatively cheap experienced players who can still play to help in the transition and give the younger guys time to develop while not breaking the bank and destroying the salary structure.

One of Shanahan's biggest failings, IMO, was catering to guys like Cutler and Marshall because he always thought the Super Bowl was just one year away rather than building a system for the long haul designed to win consistently as a team. Character and unselfishness are key components to that.

McDaniels clearly sees the weaknesses along the offensive and defensive lines as our biggest needs. He addressed the OL big time in the past draft. Since the FA market was much stronger on the DL than the OL, he went that route on the DL. Rest assured, an influx of young DL talent is coming in the next year. We have a young LB group and a lot of developmental guys in the secondary.

There really is no comparison between Shanahan and McDaniels methods of developing a team or roster.

well, to be fair, these are the same people ragging on Obama for not fixing the economy yet so what can we expect.

There are some people that are patient, and base opinions on fact and not personal bias, but they are few and far between nowadays.

I like Mcd and what he is doing, but it is too early to tell right now how it will work out. So far, imo, he has done everything that I wanted as a fan and the future looks bright.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:26 AM   #16
Hamrob
All-American!
 
Hamrob's Avatar
 
All-American!

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 5,522

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Bronco View Post
Those three old guys are they to provide rotation and leadership for young guys like McBean and Baker.
Yeah...that's what McD says and folks like you buy right into that. Let's see where were McBean and Baker drafted? Yeah...we really got some corner stones of the defense in those two to build around. Please.
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:34 AM   #17
Hamrob
All-American!
 
Hamrob's Avatar
 
All-American!

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 5,522

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

For the record...I've come to respect McDaniels...I think he can develop into a really good HC. I think we have a legit shot at the playoffs this year.

That being said...let me go back to my original point. He has not built this team, so differently than Shanny did. He's focused on Offense and patched together the defense. He's an offensive guy...just like Shanny. The difference though was night and day in terms of offensive philosophy. Shanny like to spread the field and run the ZBS with smaller, faster more atheletic guys. McD prefers the high percentage passing power running game. Thus, McD got rid of Shanny's players and brought in his own through the draft and FA.

My point was and is...he hasn't done much of anything different than Shanny...then to implement the 3-4 and New England's offense.

Sure, Lombardi likes what McD is doing...bringing in NE's football philosophies...more than he likes what Shanny does.

But, who can argue that Shanny didn't own the New England Patriots...and if you go back and look at Shanny's record since taking over the Broncos...few were better.

Change is good...especially when that change works. But, I've said it before and I'll say it again...McD has done absolutely nothing to this point...so give it a rest folks.
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:04 PM   #18
Lomax
Solid Starter
 
Lomax's Avatar
 
Thanks, Weapon X. I took it.

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 147

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Just Say "Know"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
My point isn't that it was a bad thing...I think our dline will be improved because of it. But, to say that McD has done things so much differently than Shanny is fiction in my opinion. He's building the team to fit his philosophy that's for sure...he's getting bigger yes...but, he's still patching holes just like Shanny did. And, our defense may be good this year...in o.k....but, not great...and what has McDaniel's done through the draft to improve it? Ayers, McBath....both reaches in most peoples minds. Yes, I hope they pan out...but, it's not like McD has done anything different on the D side of the ball than Shanny did. In fact...he's done it exactly how Shanny did...
I think when Lombardi is talking about "straw and glue", I don't think he's talking about draft vs. free agency. I see exactly what he means.

When we had terrible DL play in '06, our answer was Sam Adams. When we had terrible Safety play in '07, our answer was Marlon McCree. We replaced Al Wilson with Koutouvides, a STs guy who had never started. Same goes with the Browncos. We were quiet through most free agent periods, bringing in low-value players (either broken down guys way past their primes, or cast-offs from other teams).

Since McDaniels, we have gotten a Pro-Bowl, HOF guy in Dawkins, solid starters in Goodman and Hill, solid role-player in Bannan, a Pro-Bowler NT in Williams, and proven depth all around. Point is, McDaniels targets a problem, and goes right after it finding proven, productive vets from good teams, while the old regime was okay plugging in backups and cast-offs from bad teams, hoping we could squeeze a bit of production out of them and gameplan the rest of the way to success.

Lynch has said much the same thing. He felt the defense in '05 was a lot of smoke and mirrors masking poor play at various positions, and it caught up with us while the current regime went right after the DL bringing in proven free agents.

Last edited by Lomax; 05-23-2010 at 02:15 PM..
Lomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:06 PM   #19
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,707

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
Yeah...that's what McD says and folks like you buy right into that. Let's see where were McBean and Baker drafted? Yeah...we really got some corner stones of the defense in those two to build around. Please.
http://www.nfl.com/players/aubrayofr...e?id=FRA398785
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:30 PM   #20
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer
 
Florida_Bronco's Avatar
 
Coming Back Strong in 2014

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 13,831

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
Yeah...that's what McD says and folks like you buy right into that. Let's see where were McBean and Baker drafted? Yeah...we really got some corner stones of the defense in those two to build around. Please.
What difference does it make where they were drafted? Jarvis Green, Justin Bannan and Aaron Smith were picked in the 4th and 5th rounds, yet they've have very solid careers. How about Jay Ratliff and Brett Keisel? Both picked in the 7th rounder and Ratliff is an All-Pro with two Pro Bowl appearances to his name.

McBean, Baker and to a lesser extent, LeKevin Smith are all promising prospects (and McBean was drafted in the 3rd by an excellent 3-4 drafting team FYI) who now get to learn from, and play in rotation with some very solid veterans. Also in McBean's case, you can add in the fact he was a full time starter last year.

There are only so many early draft picks for us each year, and considering that it's rather easy to find suitable players for the 2 gap style 3-4 in later rounds, it makes sense to spend those early picks elsewhere for now. Now in a couple years if those guys haven't panned out or we're just looking to upgrade, yeah we can start spending some premium picks on elite talent. Right now though, it's not necessary.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:33 PM   #21
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer
 
Florida_Bronco's Avatar
 
Coming Back Strong in 2014

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 13,831

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
Good one, I forgot about him.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:45 PM   #22
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.
 
HAT's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,771

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
What was your username before you went to strafen?
dragster.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:20 PM   #23
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis
 
Hulamau's Avatar
 
In the Pocket

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Hulaville and Sedona
Posts: 9,028

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
My point isn't that it was a bad thing...I think our dline will be improved because of it. But, to say that McD has done things so much differently than Shanny is fiction in my opinion. He's building the team to fit his philosophy that's for sure...he's getting bigger yes...but, he's still patching holes just like Shanny did. And, our defense may be good this year...in o.k....but, not great...and what has McDaniel's done through the draft to improve it? Ayers, McBath....both reaches in most peoples minds. Yes, I hope they pan out...but, it's not like McD has done anything different on the D side of the ball than Shanny did. In fact...he's done it exactly how Shanny did...
Some of you guys act like Rome is build in a day! Its a three years rebuild project ... complain all you want in year four if we havent made substantial progress and arent pushing for it all by then. Josh has rebuild and reinfuse the secondary with youth in the backup rolew with stub vets to learn from. He'll do the same next year with the front 7 and we already have some young guys in back up roles there as well.
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:46 PM   #24
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post
dragster.

Yup.

Thinks putting on a bandana can fool the Omane? PSHAW I SAY!


Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:00 PM   #25
strafen
Karma
 
strafen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,334

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamau View Post
Some of you guys act like Rome is build in a day! Its a three years rebuild project ... complain all you want in year four if we havent made substantial progress and arent pushing for it all by then. Josh has rebuild and reinfuse the secondary with youth in the backup rolew with stub vets to learn from. He'll do the same next year with the front 7 and we already have some young guys in back up roles there as well.
Eventhough on paper it looks like our defense may be good enough to hold, it is our offense that worries me.
We are not set at QB. I think this TC will be very important to see who will emerge as the starter for the season.
We're still very thin at WR. Neither one of the two WR's we've drafted are healthy enough to be considered at this point.
So, we all can see how it may yet take a year or two to see the make-up of this team...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:45 AM.


Denver Broncos