The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2010, 10:40 PM   #1
hambone13
Ring of Famer

Salty Lurking Vet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Nate Jackson on The Fan today

Did anyone hear Nate Jackson on The Fan today? He was talking about his release and how he didn't even have a personal conversation with McD or anyone in the FO. Apparently, they called and left him a VM at his parents house in California. The FO had his cell phone on file and chose to leave a message there. He went on to say, that Shanny use to talk to the players personally and made himself available to chat if you wanted to talk to him about why you were released.

I realize that Nate was Shanny's boy and he wasn't exactly a record breaking HOFer but he was with the organization for 6 years and that's pretty classless. When you're essentially ending someone's career in some case, have the balls, maturity and class to have a personal conversation about it. Nate's a high character nice guy, no one deserves to be treated like that if they're employed with your organization for that long. He's obviously not going to love the guy who fired him but there's lots of other interesting comments about Scheffler, etc. i.e. "If Sheffler is being a baby, then call him up and face him like a man....work it out....."

This just reiterates my concerns about McD's people management skills, professionalism and maturity. Again, happy about McD's off season and his fire, charisma, etc. but there needs to be some growth in this area....

Additionally, there is some interesting stuff about the Plummer/Cutler transition that is interesting about the potential locker room dividing, etc.

If you're interested in listening to it, it's on www.fm1043thefan.com go to the On-Line section and go to the archives of the Podcasts of the show. It's on the Hour 2 section of the Big Al and DMac show.

Last edited by hambone13; 05-21-2010 at 10:48 PM..
hambone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2010, 10:46 PM   #2
DomCasual
The Dude abides.

Shameless Homer

I heard they were worried that he'd sprain a thumb answering his cell phone, and they'd end up having to do an injury settlement with him.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:48 PM   #3
DomCasual
The Dude abides.

Shameless Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone13 View Post
This just reiterates my concerns about McD's people management skills, professionalism and maturity. Again, happy about McD's off season and his fire, charisma, etc. but there needs to be some growth in this area.....
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=91807
Old 05-21-2010, 10:49 PM   #4
Cleo McDowell
underrated.

he always reminded me of eddie mac.
Cleo McDowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:50 PM   #5
hambone13
Ring of Famer

Salty Lurking Vet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
I heard they were worried that he'd sprain a thumb answering his cell phone, and they'd end up having to do an injury settlement with him.
that's hilarious but certainly not the point.....
Old 05-21-2010, 10:51 PM   #6
hambone13
Ring of Famer

Salty Lurking Vet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Just because he does PR stuff, as he should in his role, says nothing about his approach to managing people.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:52 PM   #7
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Did he tear his hamstring walking into the studio?
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:56 PM   #8
hambone13
Ring of Famer

Salty Lurking Vet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Did he tear his hamstring walking into the studio?
Did McD's ego trip him up?
Old 05-21-2010, 11:03 PM   #9
hambone13
Ring of Famer

Salty Lurking Vet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Nate's Tebow impression....hysterical...

Right at the end of the show, Nate starts doing his Tebow impression and it's hilarious......I hadn't heard that part as I was droping my daughter off for soccer practice...it really is funny.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:15 PM   #10
DomCasual
The Dude abides.

Shameless Homer

Quote:
Just because he does PR stuff, as he should in his role, says nothing about his approach to managing people.
Well, in fairness, you said you were concerned about his "people management skills, professionalism and maturity."

At least a few of those seem to be covered in the thread I referenced.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:19 PM   #11
hambone13
Ring of Famer

Salty Lurking Vet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Well, in fairness, you said you were concerned about his "people management skills, professionalism and maturity."

At least a few of those seem to be covered in the thread I referenced.
Absolutely, there is evidence that he has potential. I'm just saying, if one is not professionally astute enough to not do something like this, there are red flags about what and how one manages people in general.

Last edited by hambone13; 05-22-2010 at 01:32 AM..
Old 05-21-2010, 11:27 PM   #12
DomCasual
The Dude abides.

Shameless Homer

Quote:
Absolutely, there is evidence that he has potential. I'm just saying, if one is not professionally astute enough to not do something this, there are red flags about what and how one manages people in general.
Well, I definitely don't think he's perfect. I agree that if Nate's version of the story is how it really went, it's pretty weak. But Josh is 34. He's going to learn. And there were certainly veterans who left with their feelings hurt under Shanahan. Stuff happens.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:29 PM   #13
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

I fail to see the problem here.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:40 PM   #14
hambone13
Ring of Famer

Salty Lurking Vet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Well, I definitely don't think he's perfect. I agree that if Nate's version of the story is how it really went, it's pretty weak. But Josh is 34. He's going to learn. And there were certainly veterans who left with their feelings hurt under Shanahan. Stuff happens.
Nate just doesn't strike me as a person that would manufacture this stuff. He said himself on the show, that he was over the bitterness he initially felt. Additionally, he was humble enough to mention that he knows that this situation is not unique to him and that the NFL is a "business".

I'm not familiar with a veteran that was treated this way under Shanny when the terms of the situation were not combative. I hope McD does improve and I'm pretty sure he will, with his management style. At 34 I feel one is mature enough to be compassionate and professionally reasonable. These aren't strategic management mistakes, they're character mistakes in my estimation. I'm also not saying that Shanny was the end all be all leader but he was classy and compassionate enough to take care of stuff like this himself. That's just fundamental humanity. Again, a red flag, not hatred considering many questionable situations regarding management of players and staff.

Last edited by hambone13; 05-21-2010 at 11:56 PM..
Old 05-21-2010, 11:41 PM   #15
hambone13
Ring of Famer

Salty Lurking Vet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Bronco View Post
I fail to see the problem here.
And that is precisely the problem. Tony Dungy is a perfect example of how important it is to be a good person, when you expect a team to follow you and come together under you.

Last edited by hambone13; 05-21-2010 at 11:43 PM..
Old 05-22-2010, 12:03 AM   #16
hambone13
Ring of Famer

Salty Lurking Vet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Sandy Clough....

Quote:
And that is precisely the problem. Tony Dungy is a perfect example of how important it is to be a good person, when you expect a team to follow you and come together under you.
I exchange emails with Sandy Clough, from The Fan pretty regularly. Occasionally, he finds it necessary to put me in my place with his capacity for fact recall but usually we agree. Here is the exchange we had tonight, regarding this thread:

Yes, I think that we saw some of that this year in Kenny Peterson's
release, as well.
Nate's told the story before, and I do think it speaks to the idea
that too much was given
to McDaniels too soon.

Thanks for passing this along!

sandy

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 10:42 PM, Jason Whitson wrote:
Sandy,
I don't know if you spoke to the comments by Nake Jackson today as I just came
in on your show a few minutes ago.  I heard Nate Jackson on the show earlier
today and found it interesting the he confirmed what I've been concerned
about with McDaniels and his maturity and people management skills.
 Unfortunately, I didn't get to hear everything he said but his comments
about them leaving a message on his parents answering machine back in
California when they released him.  That's pretty classless in my opinion.
 Your thoughts?
J
Old 05-22-2010, 12:08 AM   #17
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Coaches cut guys all the time that way and Nate said so himself. Nate was worthless on this team. He survived by appealing to Shanahan's respect for Walsh when really he did nothing but earn a spot, get hurt, and collect a paycheck. I get why Nate's mad but that's the NFL and Nate said so on that program. Players get cut that way and worse all the time.

And pointing to the bitter Rantings of glass Jackson as some kind of evidence for McD's supposed lack of people skills is laughable. Orin hates McD too, so that whole segment was just them ripping on the coach. I knew there were probably guys out there like hambone nodding their heads like the words of Jackson were Gospel. What a joke.

And his Tebow impression didn't sound like Tebow.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:31 AM   #18
✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lyle Alzado

McDaniels does business the same way Jewish people do business. If you don't like it, too bad!
✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:39 AM   #19
Broncosfreak_56
Concrete Cyanide

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Also, McDaniels HATES babies. True story, some hobo told me. Or maybe I was high. I'm not quite sure.
Broncosfreak_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:40 AM   #20
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Nate Jackson lucky to have played for 6 yrs. has any player in Denver Bronco history done less with 6 yrs on the roster?

Total waste of a roster spot all these yrs. He should aplologize for stealing Bowlens money.

So he got cut, so McDaniels left him a message and didn't do what Shanny would have done. Big deal doesn't worry me in the least.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:41 AM   #21
Broncosfreak_56
Concrete Cyanide

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Nate Jackson lucky to have played for 6 yrs. has any player in Denver Bronco history done less with 6 yrs on the roster?

Total waste of a roster spot all these yrs. He should aplologize for stealing Bowlens money.

So he got cut, so McDaniels left him a message and didn't do what Shanny would have done. Big deal doesn't worry me in the least.
Engleberger.
Broncosfreak_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:48 AM   #22
hambone13
Ring of Famer

Salty Lurking Vet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Coaches cut guys all the time that way and Nate said so himself. Nate was worthless on this team. He survived by appealing to Shanahan's respect for Walsh when really he did nothing but earn a spot, get hurt, and collect a paycheck. I get why Nate's mad but that's the NFL and Nate said so on that program. Players get cut that way and worse all the time.

And pointing to the bitter Rantings of glass Jackson as some kind of evidence for McD's supposed lack of people skills is laughable. Orin hates McD too, so that whole segment was just them ripping on the coach. I knew there were probably guys out there like hambone nodding their heads like the words of Jackson were Gospel. What a joke.

I couldn't agree more that Glass Jackson wasn't the player of players. I've never contested that. The point is, if you worked for an organization for 6 years and you got treated that way, you wouldn't question their management skills? I didn't take it as gospel, nor have I implied that it is. All I'm saying is that the combination of this segment and the questionable situations with players and how they've been managed or the lack there of, brings up red flags. Just because I agree with Orin and he with me, doesn't by default make our opinions insignificant or laughable. Furthermore, it certainly doesn't dismiss the possibility that McD has been in a bit over his head and has made some bad decisions because of his potential lack of management skills. Skills can be developed, there's no doubt about it but compassion is a different thing.

I'm concerned about the potential character flaws of young success and the human arrogance that frequently accompanies it. Being known as a fair and fundamentally good person is important to our team and any organization. Make a phone call or return a phone call. It's the right thing to do when you're potentially ending someones career.

Last edited by hambone13; 05-22-2010 at 01:36 AM..
Old 05-22-2010, 01:02 AM   #23
hambone13
Ring of Famer

Salty Lurking Vet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post

It's not about his stats Weisenheimer. The bottom line is, he was here for that long and the current regime dismissed that tenure by not even calling him personally. Just because something happens all the time, doesn't make it right. It's not about what Shanny would have done, it's about what's the right thing to do. To me, this speaks highly to potential leadership issues.

If you have the opportunity to avoid bad press and bad impressions to anyone, how cheap is it to make a call to the right number? If you don't see that behavior as a potentially viral negative impression, then you don't understand good management.

Last edited by hambone13; 05-22-2010 at 01:07 AM..
Old 05-22-2010, 01:17 AM   #24
hambone13
Ring of Famer

Salty Lurking Vet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post

You're typically a pretty reasonably poster. It baffles me that you can't admit that there may be a flaw in McD's execution of personnel management. It's not the end of the Broncos world, it's a point of discussion. The impression may have not sounded like Tebow to you but I still found it hilarious because of the extreme nature of Tebow's personality and wholesomeness. At some point in your life, you have to recognize that shallow statements during a team circle before or during a game are just not all that important. True Esprit De Corps is much deeper than that. He's portrayed himself as a firey cheeseball. Whether it's true as not isn't as funny as making fun of him for being him.

Last edited by hambone13; 05-22-2010 at 01:39 AM..
Old 05-22-2010, 01:23 AM   #25
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

Quote:
Did anyone hear Nate Jackson on The Fan today? He was talking about his release and how he didn't even have a personal conversation with McD or anyone in the FO. Apparently, they called and left him a VM at his parents house in California. The FO had his cell phone on file and chose to leave a message there. He went on to say, that Shanny use to talk to the players personally and made himself available to chat if you wanted to talk to him about why you were released.

I realize that Nate was Shanny's boy and he wasn't exactly a record breaking HOFer but he was with the organization for 6 years and that's pretty classless. When you're essentially ending someone's career in some case, have the balls, maturity and class to have a personal conversation about it. Nate's a high character nice guy, no one deserves to be treated like that if they're employed with your organization for that long. He's obviously not going to love the guy who fired him but there's lots of other interesting comments about Scheffler, etc. i.e. "If Sheffler is being a baby, then call him up and face him like a man....work it out....."
Nate sucking balls ended his career, not any action of the Bronco's. If the guy was worth a damn, he would still be playing for another team.

Can we have just 1 freekin day around here without some crying about Coach McDaniels
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote