The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who do you believe will lead the Broncos in receptions this season?
Eddie Royal 68 49.64%
Jabar Gaffney 46 33.58%
Demaryius Thomas 14 10.22%
Eric Decker 4 2.92%
Knowshon Moreno 2 1.46%
Other (Brandon Stokley, Brandon Lloyd, Daniel Graham, Correll Buckhalter, etc.) 3 2.19%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-20-2010, 11:18 AM   #1
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default Who do you believe will lead the Broncos in receptions this season?

The candidates

Eddie Royal

Why he may: He exploded his rookie season with 91 catches which included the best of his career in his first game when Brandon Marshall was not on the field. He was the focal point of the offense throughout training camp and the preseason last year while Marshall was out of the lineup. During that time, Royal led the team (I believe) in receptions throughout the preseason and it was only upon Marshall's return that Royal's production slipped in the offense. He may have also been dealing with injury issues, as his season was cut short. Josh McDaniels and Kyle Orton have both been on record that getting Royal more involved in the offense, and he remains arguably the team's best route runner, quickest receiver and has it's most reliable hands. With Marshall gone and a year under his belt in this system, Royal can slip into the "Wes Welker-role" and lead the team in catches.

Why he may not: Royal struggled getting off press coverage last season, something he didn't struggle with his rookie year. Excluding the first game of his career without Marshall, there is a school of thought that many of his catches that rookie season came as the beneficiary of Marshall drawing double coverage. It's still unknown if Royal has the makeup to run the option routes necessary to succeed in the Broncos' offense, and if he's better suited playing on the outside where he predominantly spent last season. While McDaniels did say he wanted to get Royal more involved, the team spent 1st and 3rd round draft choices on WRs months after giving last year's #5 receiver (Brandon Lloyd) a guaranteed signing bonus.

Jabar Gaffney

Why he may: A favorite of McDaniels, Gaffney has the most experience in this system and can play any of its positions. A steady player, he proved to be a reliable target for Orton last season and in the season's final game without Marshall or Royal, he caught 14 passes. With question marks surrounding the other targets, you know what you're getting with Gaffney and while he may not put up huge numbers - last year's #2 receiver (to Marshall in receptions) may have the most catches amongst a group that spreads the ball around.

Why he may not: Clearly the most physically limited of the group, Gaffney does not have great speed or size. The drafting of two more receivers plus an increased emphasis on getting Royal more involved may push Gaffney's catches down on a group likely to spread the ball around.

Demaryius Thomas

Why he may: Thomas was the Broncos 1st selection in this years draft and he's easily the most physically gifted of the group. McDaniels gushed about Thomas, calling him a faster Marshall. Possibly filling the position Marshall played, Thomas could have the best position to lead the group in receptions - especially with his experience and ability catching the screen passes the Broncos like calling so often. While some may point to his inexperience running routes, he scored a very high 34 on his wonderlic and McDaniels praised Thomas' ability to quickly learn the offense. With the other WRs already on the roster, the Broncos still targeted Thomas as their first player drafted, showing how much they wanted him.

Why he may not: While the most gifted of the group, he's also the most raw. Coming from a triple-option offense, where he never ran many routes - the Broncos' offense may be very complex for him to learn. In addition, Thomas is currently recovering from a foot injury which could delay his assimilation into the offense - especially at WR which is one of the most difficult positions to transition to the NFL from college.

Eric Decker

Why he may: A big physical target with good hands and underrated athletic ability, Decker should seemingly fit right into the Broncos' offense. An extremely smart player who scored the highest wonderlic test (43) in this year's draft, he should be able to learn the offense quickly and provide a safe, big target for anyone playing QB. A real sleeper, Decker could become a favorite target and amass large reception totals on an offense likely to get several targets involved.

Why he may not: Decker is just a rookie, facing the same learning curve Thomas is although he does not have Thomas' talent. Like Thomas, Decker is also coming off an injury - although his is more severe and caused him to miss much of his senior season. While Decker is a talented prospect, it can be argued he may be no better than the 3rd most gifted athlete of the group and combined with his lack of experience and injury - it's unlikely he'd lead the team in catches.

Knowshon Moreno

Why he may: In his second year, Moreno should finally be healthy and benefit from a full year of training camp. As a RB, he's a sleeper to lead the team in catches, but he was drafted in part for his complete skill set which included his abilities receiving the football. With the change in personnel at WR, Moreno is a sure bet to be on the field often and may see many passes coming his way on screens, flares and even wheels. In addition, the acquisition of Tim Tebow could move Moreno out of taking direct snaps in the Wild Horses formation and give him opportunities to catch the ball from a rookie QB.

Why he may not: He is still a RB and while it happens occasionally, it remains rare that a RB would lead his team in catches. Also, it appears there is a new emphasis on getting the ball down field which could take away from Moreno's opportunities. Finally, he may still be splitting time with Correll Buckhalter who is also a good pass-receiving RB and team is also looking Brian Westbrook who is one of the league's best receiving backs.

Last edited by montrose; 05-20-2010 at 11:28 AM..
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

I think Thomas will have an immediate impact and just shade it, the passes will be very spread out this year though.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:40 AM   #3
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

I am saying it will be a close call but Eddie just over Gaffney
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:46 AM   #4
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagmar View Post
I think Thomas will have an immediate impact and just shade it, the passes will be very spread out this year though.
Agree Marshall's 100 catchs will be spread around.

Bay Bay Thomas most likely will have a 50-60 catch year (baring any injury) the learning curve will take effect but he will get his shots.

Both Royal and Gaff will be close to the lead for the team, but I give Gaff the edge due to him knowing the offense and his feel for finding the holes in the zones.
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:18 PM   #5
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

I don't know but I'm extremely excited about all of them. Hopefully Thomas plays like Marshall on the field and we can all cheer for him for his behavior off it too.
BlaK-Argentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:26 PM   #6
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Gotta be Royal.

I've complained a lot about Josh not using Eddie enough last season.

Then Josh came out and said the same thing, agreed with me.

So the two of us are unanimous ... it's time to unleash the Royal Treatment on the league .... POW!
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:31 PM   #7
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

I dont know how we are going to use Royal and it seems Gaffney knew where to go when he was out there so Orton is comfortable with him. Tough call as we drafted two good receivers and have many that are capable of stepping up. Where was the Tebow option? Tebow is never cornered in a "other" option. That is blasphemy.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:37 PM   #8
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Gaffney seemed to be Orton's favorite target in the few times that Marshall wasn't on the field. Provided the rookies go through a normal learning curve, I'll say that this will be one of Gaffney's best years as an NFL pro...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:37 PM   #9
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I think you will lead the team, Montrose. You at receiver and Anubis at punter.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:45 PM   #10
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Gaffney
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:48 PM   #11
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
EDIT: I just typed something real dumb, oh boy am I glad I caught it!

Oh and I chose other but my option is Tebow.

Last edited by theAPAOps5; 05-20-2010 at 12:51 PM..
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:57 PM   #12
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by McApaOps5 View Post
EDIT: I just typed something real dumb, oh boy am I glad I caught it!
Was it about Josina's receiving skills?
BigPlayShay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:57 PM   #13
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Spencer Larsen - he is a mismatch nightmare, he is slower than most LBs, can't jump and is not very tall - hmmm wait - it will be Royal by quite a margin.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:59 PM   #14
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Eddie Royal was so badly underused last season it's almost damning on McDaniels, but then, he was instituting his new offense and was determined to get the running game going with our new Sammy Winder, so we exchanged 12 yard gains for 3.6. Royal will break out this year, but the wise choices of Thomas and Decker will emerge as a force in the not-too-distant future.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:14 PM   #15
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
The NFL wants no part of this business, I'd drag Nnamdi to the endzone then share fist pumps with Coach!
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:21 PM   #16
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPlayShay View Post
Was it about Josina's receiving skills?
No it was a joke on Kaylore but the joke would have been on me! Glad I caught it!
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:21 PM   #17
Mr. Trout
World Champion

Who knows. This would definitely be something to bet on with your friends because it is wide open.
Mr. Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:22 PM   #18
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Hillis.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:27 PM   #19
Mr. Trout
World Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Hillis.
Can't believe I forgot about Hillis.
Mr. Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:32 PM   #20
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

It should be Royal, but I would like to see more passes to Moreno. The dude is a very talented pass catching RB.

Moreno yards per rush = 3.8
Moreno yards per reception = 7.6

The last time I checked, 7.6 is better than 3.8 - pass it to the boy!!!
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:50 PM   #21
KS Bronco
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steven Johnson

i think royal's production dropped last year because orton looked to marshall too much. i think royal puts up good numbers this year (80's), with everyone chipping in to spread it out
KS Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:53 PM   #22
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Great thread, btw. Fun read.

Stoked about our WR corps next season. Don't forget that Lloyd and McKinley could be in the mix, too. (Not as leaders, but contributors.)
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:54 PM   #23
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

Quote:
Where the hell is Anubis anyway??
BlaK-Argentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:06 PM   #24
El Jué
Somewhat disillusioned

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gene Mingo

I'll vote for Thomas only because I have very little faith in the others.
El Jué is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:56 PM   #25
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaK-Argentina View Post
Where the hell is Anubis anyway??
He hangs out over at BF I think.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote