The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2010, 06:25 AM   #1
RonDaChamp24
Twitter.com/RonGreco

The Champ is here

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D. Thomas
Default ESPN Insider: Quinn the best option?

ESPN Insider: Quinn the best option?
With Denver Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels potentially on the hot seat -- as we discussed earlier this week -- the choice for him at starting QB is an important one, even moreso than for a coach with a little more security.

Two of the Broncos QBs, Tim Tebow and Kyle Orton, have been in the headlines quite a bit recently; the former for his alleged over-drafting and the latter for his possibly being traded. But perhaps one of the other guys on the roster, former Cleveland Browns flameout Brady Quinn, could be the best option as the team's 2009 starter, at least in the opinion of Mark Kiszla of the Denver Post. According to Kiszla, out of all four options (sophomore Tom Brandstater being the other), Quinn "can place the football in a window 15-20 yards downfield" better than the rest.

Coming out of college, Quinn appeared to be poised for stardom. Perhaps being united with a QB guru such as McDaniels will bring that ability back out of him.

http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/features/rumors
RonDaChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2010, 06:29 AM   #2
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Wouldnt surprise me
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:30 AM   #3
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDaChamp24 View Post
Coming out of college, Quinn appeared to be poised for stardom. Perhaps being united with a QB guru such as McDaniels will bring that ability back out of him.
I love how this has been spread throughout the media like wildfire. Can anyone really name any other instance of a guy that was drafted high, sucked for a few years as a starter for the team that drafted him, and then went on to light it up on his next team?

I can't think of any examples of this. Seriously.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:33 AM   #4
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

cant believe i used to pay for insider
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:35 AM   #5
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

ESPN loves to put crap like this on the "Insider" and draw in the chumps ($$$)
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:37 AM   #6
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
I love how this has been spread throughout the media like wildfire. Can anyone really name any other instance of a guy that was drafted high, sucked for a few years as a starter for the team that drafted him, and then went on to light it up on his next team?

Steve Young is the only name that comes to mind...though I'm not really sure where he was drafted before going to the USFL instead.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:38 AM   #7
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
cant believe i used to pay for insider
I bought a three year magazine subscription for 10 bucks...free insider....
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:50 AM   #8
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
Steve Young is the only name that comes to mind...though I'm not really sure where he was drafted before going to the USFL instead.
He would come the closest I guess, but he still doesn't really meet the criteria these guys are talking about with Quinn coming right in from year one and starting. It literally took until Young's 6th season in San Fran (8th season overall) before he became anything resembling a full time starter. His first four or five years with them, he really didn't do much of anything and just came in for a few series here and there in less than half the games, averaging about 40 completions per season. Hardly an impact player.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:52 AM   #9
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Doug Williams and Steve Young both played for the Bucs at first, neither was any good, each won a Super Bowl later.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:56 AM   #10
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
He would come the closest I guess, but he still doesn't really meet the criteria these guys are talking about with Quinn coming right in from year one and starting. It literally took until Young's 6th season in San Fran (8th season overall) before he became anything resembling a full time starter. His first four or five years with them, he really didn't do much of anything and just came in for a few series here and there in less than half the games, averaging about 40 completions per season. Hardly an impact player.
As Moose Guy pointed out, I was talking about his flameout with the Bucs prior to his arrival in SF. I'm trying to remember the time he arrived in TB, I think hopes were pretty high for him there.

Williams did take the Bucs into the playoffs before darting off to the USFL, so I don't believe he qualifies under the terms you set.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:56 AM   #11
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Brett Favre
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:59 AM   #12
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
Brett Favre
He was never a starter for Atlanta.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:05 AM   #13
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Jim Plunkett. Won the Heisman, drafted number 1 overall, sucked for the Pats, didn't do anything with the 49ers, then won two Super Bowl titles with the Raiders.

I'm not giving up hope on Quinn for two years in Cleveland. That team sucked, and he had injuries, oh yeah, and he was benched because of his contract, not poor play. Anderson came in and was JaMarcus Russell awful and they stuck with him instead of going back to Quinn. It was all because of the contract.

Maybe Quinn really is a bust, but he might just live up to his potential with the Broncos. That would be really big for this team.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:09 AM   #14
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:

Kinda Brees, but he had 2 pretty damn good years with the Bolts before really lighting it up in New Orleans.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:13 AM   #15
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
Doug Williams and Steve Young both played for the Bucs at first, neither was any good, each won a Super Bowl later.
Ummm, from 1980-81, Doug Williams had 7,000 yds passing, 47 TDs and 30 INTs for a terrible franchise. Are you really comparing that to what Quinn's done the last two years?
Old 05-19-2010, 07:15 AM   #16
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:

Also...

1. Why is there a draft pedigree prerequisite?

2. Quinn's combined starting experience is 12 games...
Old 05-19-2010, 07:16 AM   #17
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:

Rich Gannon kinda sorta
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:16 AM   #18
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in McLA View Post
Jim Plunkett. Won the Heisman, drafted number 1 overall, sucked for the Pats, didn't do anything with the 49ers, then won two Super Bowl titles with the Raiders.
No way. Statistically speaking, Plunkett's first four years in the league were among the best of his career!

http://www.nfl.com/players/jimplunke...e?id=PLU604056
Old 05-19-2010, 07:18 AM   #19
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Also...

1. Why is there a draft pedigree prerequisite?

2. Quinn's combined starting experience is 12 games...
Why? Because the media keeps pointing to that in their "pro-Quinn" assessments. They're saying that he had all the tools, pedigree, etc in college that McD will somehow be able to bring out where others couldn't in a matter of mere months.

It's not my argument. It's the media's. I'm just trying to find another example where this has happened. And, so far, I'm not seeing any other valid examples. There are plenty of examples of guys who were mediocre their first few years and then went on to light it up. But not one single example that I can think of of a guy who sucked as bad as Quinn did his first few years going on to light it up.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:22 AM   #20
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Why? Because the media keeps pointing to that in their "pro-Quinn" assessments. They're saying that he had all the tools, pedigree, etc in college that McD will somehow be able to bring out where others couldn't in a matter of mere months.

It's not my argument. It's the media's. I'm just trying to find another example where this has happened. And, so far, I'm not seeing any other valid examples. There are plenty of examples of guys who were mediocre their first few years and then went on to light it up. But not one single example that I can think of of a guy who sucked as bad as Quinn did his first few years going on to light it up.
i might be the only one whos still curious what brandstater brings to the table.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:37 AM   #21
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:

Brees was the definition of terrible and played his way into the drafting of Phillip Rivers... now he's a HoF'er...
Old 05-19-2010, 07:40 AM   #22
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Brees was the definition of terrible and played his way into the drafting of Phillip Rivers... now he's a HoF'er...
We're getting away from the original argument here.

Brees' last two years in SD were great. Mirror images of his first two in New Orleans. The original argument was essentially sucking in stop #1, simply not getting it, but performing great in stop #2 due to different coaching.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:41 AM   #23
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

It doesn't matter who plays as QB.

I know it's hard to see past the position but honestly, our offense is a huge unkown at this point regardless of who's throwing the ball.

OL: Interior was awful last year, and a few rookies and an injured Clady are not going to improve that.
WRs: Two new rookies with foot injuries minus the 1000 yards, multiple TDs from Marshall.
TEs: Quinn/Graham minus Scheff.
RB: About the only plus with Moreno getting over his first year but this ofcourse depends on Buck staying healthy which he doesn't.

So how is a rookie QB, or a bust going to magically produce from day one in this team with that many holes?

On paper, this is probably the weakest offense I've seen in years. About the only guy that brings some kind of continuity is Orton and I don't even think that highly of him. Yes he's limited but he gives us the best chance to win.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:45 AM   #24
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21ís No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. **** ESPN Insider.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:51 AM   #25
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

E!spn Insider - We recycle the free Denver Post website and charge you for it!
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote